ADVERTISEMENT

I am normally a very honest dude

WannyandWalt

Freshman
Oct 10, 2020
But watching the wrist slapping for serious infractions at other schools, OSU, ZONA, LSU etc, why shouldn't we play by the same rules? This is crazy , taking a knife to gun fight for 35 years and counting. Play by the rules of the others you compete with is all. NCAA is a joke

Reactions: Pitt79
But watching the wrist slapping for serious infractions at other schools, OSU, ZONA, LSU etc, why shouldn't we play by the same rules? This is crazy , taking a knife to gun fight for 35 years and counting. Play by the rules of the others you compete with is all. NCAA is a joke
I’m very old school and always said we should do things the right way. But I am starting to believe that, yeah, let’s start a little bag service.

Ironically, the last two times we tried going against the rules (Evans, Stallings), it didnt do much. We couldn’t even be good at cheating... go figure! :(

Yep.....Instead of taking their punishment for lack of institutional control and outright covering up child rapes by an employee they bitched and whined until the NCAA reduced their punishment. SAD

PSU raped kids and got a slap in reality, nothing worse on earth than that outside murder, paying players is chump change......

Exactly, they should have lost their program for years. Anyhow , if we can't all play fair by the rules than it is dumb to try and play fair in this arena

I’m very old school and always said we should do things the right way. But I am starting to believe that, yeah, let’s start a little bag service.

I'm getting there, too. If everyone is breaking the rules, the rules no longer exist. And who cares if you do break them? You're not going to suffer any severe consequences for any length of time and it's not life and death (unless of course you're talking PSU and institutional child rape, and even then).

Screw it. It's just not that impactful if you do cheat. And these kids are mostly gone after a year or 2 now. So get them any way you can and get on with your life.

That being said, I still want Pitt to continue to elevate their academic standards as high as possible and not devalue a Pitt diploma. I'm for making these kids in at least the 2 major sports becoming semi-pro players, not requiring them to attend classes or graduate, and just playing for the school. Separate the 2 issues....no such thing as a student-athlete in at least football and basketball. Call them what they are...semi-pro athletes, and pay them accordingly. If they can't make it in sports professionally, that's on them and their decision. And most will never make it. Then they can go somewhere and get training in a trade or something that will earn them a decent living other than sports.

Last edited:
There’s just no way under current conditions a school like Pitt can attract the athletes needed in both Fb and Bb to compete for conference championships let alone national championships . People keep thinking I make excuses for JC , but the reality is that in college bb accumulating talent is the way you win and Pitts program by itself just isn’t enough to attract them . Play by the rules no booster group stress education ...no chance .

Pitt will never attract a coach of such national prominence that elite players will flock to play here and until they can put a winning program on the court what great players will sign with Pitt ?

Jarrod West is a perfect example of what JC is up against , once Louisville got involved game over for Pitt .

IMO Pitts best bet and only way to succeed is to stay with JC and hope he develops some relationships that will overcome Pitts disadvantages and better players want to come and play for him . The “ next coach “ will have the same issues in attracting players .

Until the chancellor and his cohorts decide that winning is important nothing will change . Pitt needs a new Golden Panther organization to compete not a new coach !

I've said this a million times, give me a VACATED NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP or Final 4! I'd still have the memory, the T Shirt and the DVD, and it would always count for me, F 'em.
I've experienced this personally back in '79, of course it was just a mediocre adult men's league type of thing, but six months after the fact, my team was informed we had an illegal player and the championship was awarded to our opponent, all I know is that we had the huge party the night of the game and the jackets the sponsor bought us, LOL

PSU got a 2 year bowl ban for institutional cover-up of child rape. I mean that is effing serious stuff and they got next to nothing. UNC had players take fake clases. Nothing. Miami had a Ponzi Schemer playing for strippers' abortions. Nothing. Will Wade basically calls the NCAA up and says "yea, I am paying everyone." Nothing.

The NCAA is a joke. If you aint cheatin' you ain't tryin'

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I'm reading this thread and thinking WHAT money???
That's the thing. We dont have any boosters who are going to put up 50K-100K. I mean its sorta illegal so while its next to impossible to get caught, that's risk that few people are willing to take.

That's the thing. We dont have any boosters who are going to put up 50K-100K. I mean its sorta illegal so while its next to impossible to get caught, that's risk that few people are willing to take.
It's also the culture surrounding this school.

I won't donate for it but if you guys are willing and able I'll cheer for it. I need my dollars in my pocket. Now if I had 50 million plus maybe I'd talk differently. Unfortunately I do not have 50 million plus.

Yep.....Instead of taking their punishment for lack of institutional control and outright covering up child rapes by an employee they bitched and whined until the NCAA reduced their punishment. SAD
If you guys think the Sandusky situation was bad what about what happened at The Ohio State University and Michigan State.What happened there was 10 times worse than Psu and nothing was done to them.

I won't donate for it but if you guys are willing and able I'll cheer for it. I need my dollars in my pocket. Now if I had 50 million plus maybe I'd talk differently. Unfortunately I do not have 50 million plus.
The reality is that's not just about the big players - it's also about a culture of donating something.

I really don't want to start a "what comes first, the chicken or the egg" argument. Just pointing out that PITT fans generally suck at donating. Fact.

Reactions: CrazyPaco
The reality is that's not just about the big players - it's also about a culture of donating something.

I really don't want to start a "what comes first, the chicken or the egg" argument. Just pointing out that PITT fans generally suck at donating. Fact.

What has there been worth handing over to a bumbling administration at Pitt for almost 40 years? I mean they would take the $ and buy bases with it and balls , they are so smart they are stupid. If people knew the $ was going to yhr big two to win but your ass people would show up but Pitt has proven to mismanage everything related to the big boys. Most pay their seats , donation with it and a few bucks after that , Pitt is lucky to have these people left around still. You don't tell McDonald's to keep serving shit burgers and when people buy enough shit burgers they will upgrade the product, does not work like that. Pitt has proven, hiring Pederson back PROOF, many other examples, Stallings, many more , of their continued ineptitude

This is why the "it won't be a good look" if Hugs comes back is comical.

There might have been a time when a felony would be terminal but 2021, if no one got hurt and he didn't do any me too bs, fornicate it.

Sports in general at all levels has become this way. Parity is a thing of the past.

In the major pro sports there are the same 5-10 teams that predictably dominate year in and year out. Sure you get a stray outlier from time to time but generally the “haves” get richer and their spot more solidified while the “have nots” serve as fodder to pad the records of the former.

And now, it has even trickled down to high school and lower athletic levels. People believe playing for a winner makes them look better and will lead to more opportunities down the road than being a decent player on a crappy team.

Ironically, the last two times we tried going against the rules (Evans, Stallings), it didnt do much. We couldn’t even be good at cheating... go figure! :(

The Stallings violations weren't the kind that lend any benefit to recruiting. Pitt did the digging to lessen the buyout, or it probably would never have been an issue. They threw Duzz under the bus on that deal too, fwiw.

The Stallings violations weren't the kind that lend any benefit to recruiting. Pitt did the digging to lessen the buyout, or it probably would never have been an issue. They threw Duzz under the bus on that deal too, fwiw.
I know, I know. Just thought it was funny, knowing our luck over the years.

Reactions: TD_6082

There might have been a time when a felony would be terminal but 2021, if no one got hurt and he didn't do any me too bs, fornicate it.
Yep. Ethics have always been a huge thing for me. I didn’t want to win if it meant winning the wrong way. It’s just how I am wired. With Dixon, I was happy with the way we did things. But at the end of the day, we got the virtual death penalty (Barnes/Stallings) anyway.

And what exactly is the right way when the NCAA has shown that it’s nothing more than the lawless wild Wild West. So is it unethical to cheat when everyone does it? Just accept the sport for being the dirty business that it is. No one in the media cared when Bruce Pearl cheated his way to the Final Four. He was praised for being a great coach. It’s the same way with steroids in baseball. When your livelihood is at stake and everyone else does it, are you going to be the only one who doesn’t do it when the powers that be turn the heads? Do you want to be a player who loses your job to a roided up AAA player or are you going to level the playing field and fight?

as @pitt-girl said though, the culture here would have to change. We don’t seem to even have a network, while others are well established.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Enabler U covered their crimes up at the highest level of administration. This is the worst because of that!

If you guys think the Sandusky situation was bad what about what happened at The Ohio State University and Michigan State.What happened there was 10 times worse than Psu and nothing was done to them.

Yep. Ethics have always been a huge thing for me. I didn’t want to win if it meant winning the wrong way. It’s just how I am wired. With Dixon, I was happy with the way we did things. But at the end of the day, we got the virtual death penalty (Barnes/Stallings) anyway.

And what exactly is the right way when the NCAA has shown that it’s nothing more than the lawless wild Wild West. So is it unethical to cheat when everyone does it? Just accept the sport for being the dirty business that it is. No one in the media cared when Bruce Pearl cheated his way to the Final Four. He was praised for being a great coach. It’s the same way with steroids in baseball. When your livelihood is at stake and everyone else does it, are you going to be the only one who doesn’t do it when the powers that be turn the heads? Do you want to be a player who loses your job to a roided up AAA player or are you going to level the playing field and fight?

as @pitt-girl said though, the culture here would have to change. We don’t seem to even have a network, while others are well established.
The last 2 Final Fours have featured 2 coaches who have gotten show-cause penalties. Its a joke.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
The difference between the blowhards on this board and other schools is the other schools fans put their money where their mouth is.
Right, a group of rich people at the top. Pitt had the Golden Panthers and they gave it up. The donors at those schools give because they know their school will spend it THE RIGHT WAY, i.e. to BUY STUD PLAYERS, here at Pitt, they won't do that, so why give? The local egg heads will spend it on BS like social justice causes.

Exactly, having a good player for a depleted roster is more important than appearances, Screw "character" win.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
The same fans screaming “send bags of money !” Are the same fans pinching pennies and grasping their wallets like grim death
I'm not rich, but I'd send them $100 if I thought they'd stuff it in a paper bag and give it to a stud player. But I don't believe they will, so I'm not giving them that money to put "EQUALITY" on all the jerseys.

Yes but then on that note, Pitt's endowment is incredible considering the size of the school for a non Ivy. So some people have made some significant donations in the name of research and academics. Just......it really is an egghead school stuck in a pro sports town, which holds back athletic donations.

Yes but then on that note, Pitt's endowment is incredible considering the size of the school for a non Ivy. So some people have made some significant donations in the name of research and academics. Just......it really is an egghead school stuck in a pro sports town, which holds back athletic donations.

Pitt is one of the oldest schools in its "class." The endowment is the result of their head start more than anything.

Again, here is the big issue for Pitt. IN many of these big ticket schools, the donors or boosters are local businessmen, they also may or may not be alums. But living in Morgantown and close to Clemson (Greenville, SC) you see how it works and what it means. These guys, especially in the college towns, the local college team is their defacto pro team, their rooting interest. So the success of the local college team is pleasing to them because it is fun and the whole town is alive and in many cases, good for business.

Here? Sure you have local alums like a Bill Baierl, but take a David Tepper. He was more interested in the NFL franchise and eventually bought one. T Boone Pickens is all about OK State. Three years ago, donors gave Texas $56 million in athletic department donations. If they are willing to do that, buy out the Herman contract, I would imagine it is easy to make a leap of faith and think if a 5 star recruit needs "enticed" to come to Texas they are ready and willing to make that happen.

Same with schools like Alabama, Ohio State, hell even Penn State.

Reactions: pitt-girl
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT