ADVERTISEMENT

I do not remember where we stood at this time last season

We had been briefly a top 25 team and felt comfortably in and many fans were surprised we had to go to the first four round.

Sad thing is I think this year's team is now a little better because our guards matured but may miss due to the slow start

Anyone remember

Mood, projections, etc.

I was 100% confident last year.

Ill be a lot more confident this year if Florida Atlantic wins and Colorado wins tonight. Ill be stunned if a team like NC State can beat UNC.

I still think Northwestern is on thin ice, regardless of what Lunardi thinks. And New Mexico losing today would be good too.

Reactions: gary2
We had been briefly a top 25 team and felt comfortably in and many fans were surprised we had to go to the first four round.

Sad thing is I think this year's team is now a little better because our guards matured but may miss due to the slow start
No one was worried we would get in?

Lunardi and Palm had us locks?

I was 100% confident last year.

Ill be a lot more confident this year if Florida Atlantic wins and Colorado wins tonight. Ill be stunned if a team like NC State can beat UNC.

I still think Northwestern is on thin ice, regardless of what Lunardi thinks. And New Mexico losing today would be good too.
Thanks for the reply

Reactions: Vader_Storm
We were sitting on top of the conference and lost out in last weeks. We slipped to below 4 and only got one round bYe.

I feel that everyone was so friggin excited that we finally were in the discussion I don’t think we knew for sure that we could get picked but hoped.

This year is somewhat different in that hope becomes desire and right now I just do not know.

We were sitting on top of the conference and lost out in last weeks. We slipped to below 4 and only got one round bYe.

I feel that everyone was so friggin excited that we finally were in the discussion I don’t think we knew for sure that we could get picked but hoped.

This year is somewhat different in that hope becomes desire and right now I just do not know.
Thanks - that is how I remember it

I remember vividly. I and most of us were very confident we'd be in. Much more confident than this year. However, the NET of 67 was so bad, we thought, maybe they could screw us based on that.

The resume this year is actually MUCH better. There's no way last year's team makes this year's tournament. This bubble is ridiculously strong as I've been saying all season. Maybe the strongest of all time.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Interestingly the record is identical at 22-11, and this year we finished higher in the ACC standings than last year, we actually put up a decent fight vs. UNC last night. You'd think we should be in comparing last year to this year.

I remember vividly. I and most of us were very confident we'd be in. Much more confident than this year. However, the NET of 67 was so bad, we thought, maybe they could screw us based on that.

The resume this year is actually MUCH better. There's no way last year's team makes this year's tournament. This bubble is ridiculously strong as I've been saying all season. Maybe the strongest of all time.
Last year was also a BIG the ACC sucks message year, right?

Yes I remember the debate being more about if we could avoid Dayton and we had to sweat out a few bid stealing games but we were solidly in based on bracketmarix and national pundits. We did have a good road record and record against the projected field beating Miami, UVA, NC State and that huge 29 point at NW. Our NC SOS was 144 which is a huge difference although our overall SOS was actually a little worse. But last year we had 5 Q1/Q2 NC games and this year we had only one. That’s the killer.

We really needed WVU, Missouri and Oregon State to be Q2 games similar to our win at Vandy last year.

when you look at the visual on the team sheet, the NC games are highlighted in blue and seeing no blue on the left hand side stands out.
The visual last year looked a lot better

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Yes I remember the debate being more about if we could avoid Dayton and we had to sweat out a few bid stealing games but we were solidly in based on bracketmarix and national pundits. We did have a good road record and record against the projected field beating Miami, UVA, NC State and that huge 29 point at NW. Our NC SOS was 144 which is a huge difference although our overall SOS was actually a little worse. But last year we had 5 Q1/Q2 NC games and this year we had only one. That’s the killer.

We really needed WVU, Missouri and Oregon State to be Q2 games similar to our win at Vandy last year.

when you look at the visual on the team sheet, the NC games are highlighted in blue and seeing no blue on the left hand side stands out.
Thanks for the reply

What’s getting lost in the NC SOS discussion is that last year we had 11 Q3/Q4 conference games and this year we had only 5. So the ACC schedule was much stronger this year but we get zero credit for that. That really shows up on the team sheet also.

No it didnt. That team sheet is post-NCAAT where we picked up 2 Quad 1 wins. Last year's Selection Sunday team sheet is much worse than this year's

What’s getting lost in the NC SOS discussion is that last year we had 11 Q3/Q4 conference games and this year we had only 5. So the ACC schedule was much stronger this year but we get zero credit for that. That really shows up on the team sheet also.
Agree. Compare who Pitt played in the ACC (including tournament) versus UVA

A 1 game difference for UVA that includes a home loss to us

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Pitt should be a 8 or 9 seed. This process is goofy.
I seriously think they adopted all this BS to get fans obsessed with following the metrics and talking heads all year getting clicks on social media and tuning in to talking head shows.

The one conference tournament win last year sealed it in our minds, even though we got a round further this year

Interestingly the record is identical at 22-11, and this year we finished higher in the ACC standings than last year, we actually put up a decent fight vs. UNC last night. You'd think we should be in comparing last year to this year.

There are lots of differences this year compared to last year.

Last year's team had a OOC win over Northwestern (NCAA Tourney Team) In conference play, they had wins over Miami (NCAA 5 seed) & UVA (NCAA 4 seed) and 2 wins over UNC.

Other than the win at Duke, I don't think this team has another win against a team that would be considered safely in the tourney. WIth the league being down, they really haven't had many opportunities lately. But when this team did have their opportunities, they didn't get it done. I think a win last night, or a win at Clemson would have been huge. Throw in a weaker OOC & a bad loss to Mizzou, and you can see why this year's team isn't positioned as well as last year.

If they still put emphasis on the last 10 or 15, I would feel a lot better about Pitt's chances. Going on the whole body of work, it may not be enough.

There are lots of differences this year compared to last year.

Last year's team had a OOC win over Northwestern (NCAA Tourney Team) In conference play, they had wins over Miami (NCAA 5 seed) & UVA (NCAA 4 seed) and 2 wins over UNC.

Other than the win at Duke, I don't think this team has another win against a team that would be considered safely in the tourney. WIth the league being down, they really haven't had many opportunities lately. But when this team did have their opportunities, they didn't get it done. I think a win last night, or a win at Clemson would have been huge. Throw in a weaker OOC & a bad loss to Mizzou, and you can see why this year's team isn't positioned as well as last year.

If they still put emphasis on the last 10 or 15, I would feel a lot better about Pitt's chances. Going on the whole body of work, it may not be enough.
Our NET is quite better this year than last, but we're having terrible luck with bid stealers and other bubble teams.

Yeah. But the NET isn't the end all be all some make it out to be. Last year's team had some good wins that this year's team just doesn't have.
Same story with Pomeroy and Colley. Probably RPI but I can't find historical ones. We are just a little better this year I think and less likely to make it due to the other bubble teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT