ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t know I’m burnt out in the cycle

DruidTM

Heisman Winner
Oct 26, 2012
so if Narduzzi is gone then what ??? another 4-5 years of mediocre results because it won’t matter who’s next either because no hire will suddenly go 11-1 or some crazy shit ...that before figuring out that guy isn’t any better and that’s if he doesn’t leave for another school ...

I have no idea at this point anymore what the fix is I don’t understand it at all ... Pittsburgh is a great city a great location... to me it seems the biggest enemy over time has been the School itself...it’s sad that you actually have to entertain the idea of a curse or hex to begin contemplating Pitt football....

It makes no sense that Pitt can’t be better than they are it just doesn’t.make.sense... not at all.

It’s learned helplessness that kills its own fan base again and again it’s truly a vicious cycle

I’m just finding myself wondering why I care at all?

There’s hope! We just got to get lucky and hire the right coach and staff that understands how college football is played today.

That slow plodding horizontal type offense is garbage. You need a up tempo stretch the field vertical offense that gets the ball out quick to your playmakers out in space.

On defense you need a attacking 3-3-5 type that allows you to recruit hybrids at the safety linebackers spot. Because it’s extremely difficult to recruit defensive lineman at a school like Pitt.

As big of a jerk Graham was here at Pitt. He had the best defense we have had since .

No we don’t need a Pitt guy

You need someone who wins and pay them

Like I said Pittsburgh is a great location anyone who thinks otherwise likely has spent too much time in Pittsburgh without really checking anywhere else out...

That’s why as someone who has been living in Ga for six years now I’m telling you it makes zero sense... it’s built in excuses and learned helplessness....

Reactions: lilspainishflea
No we don’t need a Pitt guy

You need someone who wins and pay them

Like I said Pittsburgh is a great location anyone who thinks otherwise likely has spent too much time in Pittsburgh without really checking anywhere else out...

That’s why as someone who has been living in Ga for six years now I’m telling you it makes zero sense... it’s built in excuses and learned helplessness....

I don’t agree with you. I think Pitt guys should be all they target for a HC.

You need a HC that the fanbase and boosters can connect with and get behind.

You need a HC that can connect and rebuild relationships with the local HS coaches.

You need a HC who will connect with the local media and mend the fences that Narduzzi has trashed.

You need a HC who is smart enough to get ace recruiters on his staff.

A Pitt guy can do the too 3. The non local will be seen as a BS car salesman who everybody thinks will jump ship for the next opportunity.

Reactions: Wildman4Pitt

You need a HC that can connect and rebuild relationships with the local HS coaches.

You need a HC who will connect with the local media and mend the fences that Narduzzi has trashed.

A Pitt guy can do the too 3. The non local will be seen as a BS car salesman who everybody thinks will jump ship for the next opportunity.
And who exactly would this person be?

There’s hope! We just got to get lucky and hire the right coach and staff that understands how college football is played today.

That slow plodding horizontal type offense is garbage. You need a up tempo stretch the field vertical offense that gets the ball out quick to your playmakers out in space.

On defense you need a attacking 3-3-5 type that allows you to recruit hybrids at the safety linebackers spot. Because it’s extremely difficult to recruit defensive lineman at a school like Pitt.

As big of a jerk Graham was here at Pitt. He had the best defense we have had since .

I.E. no coach with any type of Big Ten pedigree or connections. Save Meyer and Franklin who are SEC guys.

Reactions: sherepower
He’s a successful NFL DC who has a realistic shot at getting a head coaching job, why would he want to come to Pitt?

I actually thought you were kidding about the “need a Pitt guy” stuff.

Carry on I guess.

How many years have we said “realistic job at nfl coaching job”. It’s at least 5 years now right? Just seems to jump around from dc to dc with very small shot of getting a hc gig. Seems to be the new minority candidate they call to fill the rooney rule requirement.

Personally, I've come to enjoy the constant build up to mediocre then tear it down cycle that Pitt has perfected over the years. No school does it better, though Notre Dame was very good at it for many years. Let's talk fire n hire!

You need boosters period

I’m not convinced they exist I’m also wondering what kind of people would hold back on donations due to the fact someone isn’t a Pitt guy... that seems extremely short sited to me especially given I know of exactly zero great Superstar coaching prospects who happen to also be Pitt guys... who would you hire Sean Miller? (I’m only half kidding some would probably take that).... Wanny?

There are literally no Pitt guys out there as strong candidates... also literally the fan base acts suspicious of “outsiders” like we are some small town backwoods program ... we aren’t... you get the best candidate you can ...who cares where they are from?!? .. pay them and hey.. make them feel at home for a ****ing change ( media could help here - I’d fire basically everyone in Pgh media other than Kevin Shockly Stockly whoever at channel 4 if I played god for a day)... most of all quit being miserable about Pittsburgh ...

Like I’ve said before schools that want to win and do win pony up the money to win...Pitt has horrid donations period and I don’t see it changing... then there’s the no Pitt guy who fits the bill who isn’t also completely entirely fictional problem ... so again - I guess boosters won’t put out more money

That’s a cycle that can’t possibly work on any realistic level... it can’t

And Thats exactly why I’m burned out on this cycle

Last edited:
so if Narduzzi is gone then what ??? another 4-5 years of mediocre results because it won’t matter who’s next either because no hire will suddenly go 11-1 or some crazy shit ...that before figuring out that guy isn’t any better and that’s if he doesn’t leave for another school ...

I have no idea at this point anymore what the fix is I don’t understand it at all ... Pittsburgh is a great city a great location... to me it seems the biggest enemy over time has been the School itself...it’s sad that you actually have to entertain the idea of a curse or hex to begin contemplating Pitt football....

It makes no sense that Pitt can’t be better than they are it just doesn’t.make.sense... not at all.

It’s learned helplessness that kills its own fan base again and again it’s truly a vicious cycle

I’m just finding myself wondering why I care at all?

Yeah but you don't keep someone for stability's sake if the status quo is not just mediocre but declining. So we effed up with this hire. Suck it up and try again. Pitt fans need to stop hanging on to this false "stability" thing. It's never going to happen here. NEVER! This is just a stepping stone. So....hire the best you can.

Reactions: pittdan77 and pbrad
worse than the Pirates.
Yeah. At least the Pirates make lots of money.

Hm, but, I guess by having football, Pitt gets a bigger check from a bigger conference than we rate ordinarily.

But that only helps sports nobody cares about. Likewise, the Pirates profit helps only the Nutting family, which definitely nobody cares about...

so yeah, they are pretty much the same after all.

You need boosters period

I’m not convinced they exist I’m also wondering what kind of people would hold back on donations due to the fact someone isn’t a Pitt guy... that seems extremely short sited to me especially given I know of exactly zero great Superstar coaching prospects who happen to also be Pitt guys... who would you hire Sean Miller? (I’m only half kidding some would probably take that).... Wanny?

There are literally no Pitt guys out there as strong candidates... also literally the fan base acts suspicious of “outsiders” like we are some small town backwoods program ... we aren’t... you get the best candidate you can who cares where they are from .. pay them and hey.. make them feel at home for a ****ing change ( media could help here - I’d fire basically everyone in Pgh media other than Kevin Shockly Stockly whoever at channel 4 if I played god for a day)... most of all quit being miserable about Pittsburgh ...

Like I’ve said before school that want to win and do win pony up the money to win...Pitt has horrid donations period and I don’t see it changing... then there’s the no Pitt guy who fits the bill that isn’t entirely fictional... so again I guess booster won’t put out more money

That’s a cycle that can’t possibly work on any realistic level... it can’t

And Thats exactly why I’m burned out on this cycle
They really need to seriously think what benefit comes from having football and being in the ACC. Really. So it allows paying for other sports. Who needs those other sports either? Or if you have them, who cares if they're good? Nobody follows them. They aren't going to buy expensive tickets for a volleyball team even if it's great. Pitt isn't hurting for students clamoring for a great wrestling team.

On the contrary, millions follow college football and definitely think poorly of the school when it stinks. And since having a program is costly, it loses money when it stinks.

Better to have no footbal at all then get crushed in it.

Yeah but you don't keep someone for stability's sake if the status quo is not just mediocre but declining. So we effed up with this hire. Suck it up and try again. Pitt fans need to stop hanging on to this false "stability" thing. It's never going to happen here. NEVER! This is just a stepping stone. So....hire the best you can.
Stepping stone

Another excuse and myth

Doesn’t have to be that way .... but the entire culture has to change... no the day of 40 yrs at one School are over but that doesn’t have to mean stepping stone

It’s called investment.... but a lot of attitudes have to change to get there and I honestly think people are comfortable complaining and maintaining that perspective

We had stability and winning with Walt, Wanny, and Dixon. It wasn’t good enough for some.

They really need to seriously think what benefit comes from having football and being in the ACC. Really. So it allows paying for other sports. Who needs those other sports either? Or if you have them, who cares if they're good? Nobody follows them. They aren't going to buy expensive tickets for a volleyball team even if it's great. Pitt isn't hurting for students clamoring for a great wrestling team.

On the contrary, millions follow college football and definitely think poorly of the school when it stinks. And since having a program is costly, it loses money when it stinks.

Better to have no footbal at all then get crushed in it.

They should have sold their soul and then some to get into the big10.

We had stability and winning with Walt, Wanny, and Dixon. It wasn’t good enough for some.

Dixon burned out. Great run, but he had enough. Both sides needed to part.
Walt made a HUGE media error when he spoke about not being able to win big here. Even if true, you can’t say that stuff.
Wanny, huge mistake letting him go.

Reactions: paulbl99
Walt’s agent said that

That still didn’t stop fans from immediately jumping on Walt though who was trying to keep a recruiting class during a partial conference collapse

Walt made a HUGE media error when he spoke about not being able to win big here. Even if true, you can’t say that stuff.

Walt didn't say that -- his agent did. He fired said agent, maybe too slowly, but I do believe Walt truly thought Pitt was a place he could win big.

Regardless of whether each decision was right or wrong, Pitt does have the odd history of firing Gottfried, Walt, and Wanny after they had some 8/9 win seasons when our average is probably more like 6.

Reactions: freddietee511

Yeah!!!! Bring back wanny!!!!!

If our goal is to be mediocre in thevequivalent if the AAC, then letting Wanny go was a mistake.

There is a big difference between going 9-3 and finishing third in the coastal and 9-3 and finishing third in the big east behind the likes of cincy and UConn.

When Oliver Luck hired Holgs he interviewed some of the top coaches he couldn't hire just to ask "what should I be looking for?" The answer came back that you need to score a lot of points now so prioritize that. He hired from the Leach tree and they're at least fun and better than us.

Reactions: H2P 2003
Need a Pitt guy.

Speaking of “Pittsburgh guys”, Joe Morehead is literally stinking out the joint at Mississippi St.

This wasn’t some reclamation project, Mullen left him a very good team with an NFL QB, and they have now scored one (1) touchdown in the last 2 games combined.

They do not play around down there, if this season doesn’t get turned around fast he better win big next year or they will run his ass out of town quickly.

Mediocre results would be far better than the direction Pitt football is trending right now.

When Oliver Luck hired Holgs he interviewed some of the top coaches he couldn't hire just to ask "what should I be looking for?" The answer came back that you need to score a lot of points now so prioritize that. He hired from the Leach tree and they're at least fun and better than us.

Our cap, on an average basis is probably 7-5/8-4, with some better years mixed in there. If that is all we are, run a fun offense, and I honestly think you have to run that type of offense to mask talent deficiencies.

It blows my mind that WVU could have Rich Rod and Holgy running explosive, fun offenses and we are still stuck running a 1980’s NFL offense.

Speaking of “Pittsburgh guys”, Joe Morehead is literally stinking out the joint at Mississippi St.

This wasn’t some reclamation project, Mullen left him a very good team with an NFL QB, and they have now scored one (1) touchdown in the last 2 games combined.

They do not play around down there, if this season doesn’t get turned around fast he better win big next year or they will run his ass out of town quickly.
So you're saying that Morehead could be available? :D

I.E. no coach with any type of Big Ten pedigree or connections. Save Meyer and Franklin who are SEC guys.

Both Franklin and Meyer have been all over the place in their careers. Utah, Vanderbilt, Florida, Maryland, Washington State, Kanasa State. NFL. That's what is needed. Diversity of experience.

Both Franklin and Meyer have been all over the place in their careers. Utah, Vanderbilt, Florida, Maryland, Washington State, Kanasa State. NFL. That's what is needed. Diversity of experience.
Even Gallagher could go for that! Better if they were transgender eskimos though :D

Josh Gattis, recruiter extraordinare at Alabama. We need someone like that.
Anyone can recruit at bama. Reminds me of Antigua recruiting college hoops at Kentucky. Voted best asset coach / recruiter at Kentucky, hired at USF and did nothing. It’s not hard to recruit at a blue blood.

You tell em to commit or we will find someone else next week. You don’t have that leverage at pitt. You don’t recruit at bama, you choose.

If our goal is to be mediocre in thevequivalent if the AAC, then letting Wanny go was a mistake.

There is a big difference between going 9-3 and finishing third in the coastal and 9-3 and finishing third in the big east behind the likes of cincy and UConn.

Is it really? Just because Narduzzi can’t beat UNC doesn’t mean they are THAT good.

GaTech
Duke
Virginia
Syracuse as a crossover

Ok, Miami and VaTech are supposedly good, but they’re not unbeatable.

WVU
Cincy
Louisville
Syracuse
USF

BE was not top heavy, but they are just as good as anyone not named UM or VT....and I would argue wvu was better than both of them for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT