ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t know I’m burnt out in the cycle

They really need to seriously think what benefit comes from having football and being in the ACC. Really. So it allows paying for other sports. Who needs those other sports either? Or if you have them, who cares if they're good? Nobody follows them. They aren't going to buy expensive tickets for a volleyball team even if it's great. Pitt isn't hurting for students clamoring for a great wrestling team.

On the contrary, millions follow college football and definitely think poorly of the school when it stinks. And since having a program is costly, it loses money when it stinks.

Better to have no footbal at all then get crushed in it.
Unbelievably wrong.

Pretty easy to recruit to The Cult as well. The players are treated like Greek Gods.
Except both schools have seen recruiting jump by leaps and bounds from the previous staffs to the great staffs they have now. Our coaches just aren't good recruiters.

Need a Pitt guy.
Have been trying to think of the "Pittsburgh" guys out there that might have enough experience for the job.

Austin
Sunseri
Marvin Lewis
Wanny
Cignetti Jr
Cavanaugh
Moorehead
Todd Haley
Tom Clements
Ben McAdoo
Gattuso
Russ Grimm
Bob Babich
Van Pelt
Jim Haslett
Rip Scherer
Hal Hunter

Can't really think of any more, but how many would you actually want to have the job and how many of those would even consider the job?

Ideally:

From or plugged into the Mid-Atlantic area.
Young.
Offensive minded.
Analytic minded. Even if he doesn’t purely coach by it, somebody that at least knows the numbers say you should go for it on 4th down every time.
Wants to build a young, hungry staff willing to live on the recruiting trail.

Is it really? Just because Narduzzi can’t beat UNC doesn’t mean they are THAT good.

GaTech
Duke
Virginia
Syracuse as a crossover

Ok, Miami and VaTech are supposedly good, but they’re not unbeatable.

WVU
Cincy
Louisville
Syracuse
USF

BE was not top heavy, but they are just as good as anyone not named UM or VT....and I would argue wvu was better than both of them for a while.

You forgot Wanny's .500 record against UConn over 6 years.

C'mon, give it a rest. Wanny NEVER beat anyone better than Pitt (other than 13-9) and frequently lost to teams that were much worse (e.g., Navy, Ohio, Bowling Green, etc.). Narduzzi sucks but for the most part he's won the games he was supposed to win and has occasionally punched above his weight.

I don’t agree with you. I think Pitt guys should be all they target for a HC.

You need a HC that the fanbase and boosters can connect with and get behind.

You need a HC that can connect and rebuild relationships with the local HS coaches.

You need a HC who will connect with the local media and mend the fences that Narduzzi has trashed.

You need a HC who is smart enough to get ace recruiters on his staff.

A Pitt guy can do the too 3. The non local will be seen as a BS car salesman who everybody thinks will jump ship for the next opportunity.
You need a head ball coach that HS coaches and great players EVERYWHERE respect and want to play for.

I'd stand 'pat' at least until fairly certain Lyke will stick around. AD's seem to crap out at Pitt soon after a big coaching change.

It seems to me the way sports are going these days it is all about money. Everyone wants a lot and Pitt does not want to pay. Its the same as the Pirates.
It may even be a combination of money and the willingness to brush right up on that line of between being a dirty or clean program. If you look at the top programs, I'm sure they all have skeletons in their closets. We have seen what Penn State was willing to overlook to get there.

But where does the money come from? People blame fans or the alumni, but I think the commitment has to come from Pitt first. No one is going to invest in something that the owner is not fully committed.

so if Narduzzi is gone then what ??? another 4-5 years of mediocre results because it won’t matter who’s next either because no hire will suddenly go 11-1 or some crazy shit ...that before figuring out that guy isn’t any better and that’s if he doesn’t leave for another school ...

I have no idea at this point anymore what the fix is I don’t understand it at all ... Pittsburgh is a great city a great location... to me it seems the biggest enemy over time has been the School itself...it’s sad that you actually have to entertain the idea of a curse or hex to begin contemplating Pitt football....

It makes no sense that Pitt can’t be better than they are it just doesn’t.make.sense... not at all.

It’s learned helplessness that kills its own fan base again and again it’s truly a vicious cycle

I’m just finding myself wondering why I care at all?

It seems to me the way sports are going these days it is all about money. Everyone wants a lot and Pitt does not want to pay. Its the same as the Pirates.
It may even be a combination of money and the willingness to brush right up on that line of between being a dirty or clean program. If you look at the top programs, I'm sure they all have skeletons in their closets. We have seen what Penn State was willing to overlook to get there.

But where does the money come from? People blame fans or the alumni, but I think the commitment has to come from Pitt first. No one is going to invest in something that the owner is not fully committed.
Except in the most recent ACC financial disclosures(2016-17) Pitt spent more money on football than Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Lousiville, NC State, UNC, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest. The only ACC teams that spent more were Clemson, FSU, and Miami.

During that same year Clemson, FSU, G-Tech, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville, UNC, and V-ech all had higher football revenue.

In 2016, Pitt was 4th in spending but 9th in revenue. Stop trying to place all the blame on the administration. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Except in the most recent ACC financial disclosures(2016-17) Pitt spent more money on football than Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Lousiville, NC State, UNC, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest. The only ACC teams that spent more were Clemson, FSU, and Miami.

During that same year Clemson, FSU, G-Tech, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville, UNC, and V-ech all had higher football revenue.

In 2016, Pitt was 4th in spending but 9th in revenue. Stop trying to place all the blame on the administration. Sometimes things just don't work out.

This. It's a tired narrative. The school supplements a ton of the spending as well.

Again, a lot of the decisions made are up for debate, but spending wise, especially compared to the revenues we bring in, Pitt puts in a significant investment.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
There are two ways to win in college football.
1. Superior infrastructure. There is a fairly strong correlation between revenue, budget, recruiting, and wins/rankings.
2. Great coach.

#1 helps a lot with #2. We don't have #1. We need to get lucky to get #2. It sucks, but it's an inherently unfair system and is designed to be so. If you want parity, watch pro sports with salary caps.

Our cap, on an average basis is probably 7-5/8-4, with some better years mixed in there. If that is all we are, run a fun offense, and I honestly think you have to run that type of offense to mask talent deficiencies.

It blows my mind that WVU could have Rich Rod and Holgy running explosive, fun offenses and we are still stuck running a 1980’s NFL offense.
That’s the cap with the crap coaches we traditionally hire! That’s the key qualification to your comment.

Then you change leadership !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT