ADVERTISEMENT

I gave up on Pitt Basketball hopes early last year & casually watched last night BUT

mdpitt

All American
Sep 9, 2002
I really am encouraged for the future. Not so much this year but if we could land some size in the paint, I’m really encouraged for the next few years. I believe I represent the average fan in saying the last 4 years with the end of Dixon and the beginning of Stallings were a bit of a blur in my mind since really getting interested in Pitt Hoops in the mid 1980s.

Up until the last 4 years there was always this seemingly easy transition which appeared like we had 3 seasoned starters and you got to know their personalities and styles on the court. At the same time, there were 3 or 4 guys getting more playing time and the transition to them becoming seasoned starters seemed seamless.

I would have a tough time naming 10 starters we have had the last 4 years in 30 seconds. Quite frankly I would have a tough time naming 3 guys in 10 seconds I watched last night.

I really enjoyed watching the game last night and the fight they showed. I’ve never viewed a Pitt Basketball game in my life losing by 20 saying something out loud like “ Pitt looks pretty good “.

I’m not sure if that’s an indictment of how bad it is or maybe last night was a little closer to that feeling I had when Julius Page dunked over Boumtje Boumjte of Georgetown in 2001.

Jury is still out on this one but maybe Pitt might find a way to create that 2001 moment. Likely comes next year but I liked what I saw last night for an effort.

I thought you all played well in the 2nd half and have some nice pieces. It's going to take a couple of recruiting cycles, but I think you'll get there.

I had no idea that you lost 10 or 11 guys from last season and had to replace them all!

At one time last night and for a good portion of the game, we had 4 freshmen and a senior (Luther) out there on the court. Those freshmen weren't red shirts either. They're just out of high school. They showed a lot last night and I think if recruiting picks up and we get something of an inside presence, this group could be special.

Reactions: mo cheeks
I really am encouraged for the future. Not so much this year but if we could land some size in the paint, I’m really encouraged for the next few years. I believe I represent the average fan in saying the last 4 years with the end of Dixon and the beginning of Stallings were a bit of a blur in my mind since really getting interested in Pitt Hoops in the mid 1980s.

Up until the last 4 years there was always this seemingly easy transition which appeared like we had 3 seasoned starters and you got to know their personalities and styles on the court. At the same time, there were 3 or 4 guys getting more playing time and the transition to them becoming seasoned starters seemed seamless.

I would have a tough time naming 10 starters we have had the last 4 years in 30 seconds. Quite frankly I would have a tough time naming 3 guys in 10 seconds I watched last night.

I really enjoyed watching the game last night and the fight they showed. I’ve never viewed a Pitt Basketball game in my life losing by 20 saying something out loud like “ Pitt looks pretty good “.

I’m not sure if that’s an indictment of how bad it is or maybe last night was a little closer to that feeling I had when Julius Page dunked over Boumtje Boumjte of Georgetown in 2001.

Jury is still out on this one but maybe Pitt might find a way to create that 2001 moment. Likely comes next year but I liked what I saw last night for an effort.

Feels a little like 2000-01 minus the veteran presence of Greer and Hawkins. That team wasn't great but had Knight and Page making noise as freshmen while we have Carr, Stevenson, etc... Not saying we will reach the same heights as those teams but there are some similarities. That team learned how to win and grew up fast in the 2001 BE tourney. Hopefully this team can learn how to battle and win this year, even if the wins are few.

Wouldn’t it be great to have your splashiest sports moment - however modest it might have been - on tape like Julius has this amazing dunk...

What a great moment for Julius and for Pitt BB. Talk about sending a message!

They should show this clip at every game at the Pete.

Go Pitt.

Feels a little like 2000-01 minus the veteran presence of Greer and Hawkins. That team wasn't great but had Knight and Page making noise as freshmen while we have Carr, Stevenson, etc... Not saying we will reach the same heights as those teams but there are some similarities. That team learned how to win and grew up fast in the 2001 BE tourney. Hopefully this team can learn how to battle and win this year, even if the wins are few.
Brandin was a sophomore on that team. Page, and Brown were the freshmen.

Yes! I agree, we need a good BIG

Also watched without emotion. Was surprised and pleased with the rebounding and breaking the press. It was a lot better than I expected. This may have been only the first or second game they rebounded better than their opponent (if I am remembering all the prior games box scores accurately).

Half court defense seemed pretty weak I thought—higher FG % by WVU would seem to reflect it.

Still a long way to go especially for ACC play.

I was there and had great seats for that game. I don’t know who was more speechless with that dunk—-me or my Georgetown alumni friend who thought the game was a gimme for them........
I lived in Delaware at the time and I remember it was snowing that night. My fiancé ( now wife ) said let’s go for a walk at tip-off and I said sure. Very low expectations we would win. We ended up stopping in a bar in Newark Delaware not even knowing the Pitt game was on TV. When I heard the crowd go nuts and saw the replay on TV, I started the “ Let’s Go Pitt” cheer that 2 people joined in to oblige.

We lost to WVU the other night but it lit a similar spark.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT