ADVERTISEMENT

I have never really criticized Narduzzi's recruiting

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
but this years group is less than impressive (maybe because it is a down year in PA). OL recruiting during the Narduzzi tenure has been particularly disappointing. Maybe the new OL coach will work wonders and coach these guys up. I surely hope so. But you have to wonder:

How is Drake who was listed as a backup most of last season, not make the 2 deep?

I thought Warren was a top recruit. How is he not in the 2 deep?

We'll find out about their recruiting this fall on the field. If we can't win with what we have, the future will be ugly. It looks as though each class is getting progressively less competitive with what our rivals are pulling in. If we win, it shows that regardless of hype, this staff can find and develop the kids they sign.

This year and next will tell the tale of narduzzi’s recruiting and coaching ability. Rivals has the class at number 30 right now (super early I know), but if Pitt finishes with a class between 30-50 it wouldn’t be an incredibly sub par recruiting class. We shall see.

A couple of years ago, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland and North Carolina were kicking our asses in recruiting...If you look at the rankings, Pitt is ahead of them as of right now... What happened? Very simply, the novelty of a new head coach with a lot of promises of winning championships has faded...It's time to deliver. The same thing will happen to NCST, Minnesota, and Purdue... You have to start WINNING...

This is a big year for Pitt... They need to post a least 8 wins this year, and next year, no less than 10 wins, or it's really going to be a struggle. Narduzzi knows it as well.

A couple of years ago, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland and North Carolina were kicking our asses in recruiting...If you look at the rankings, Pitt is ahead of them as of right now... What happened? Very simply, the novelty of a new head coach with a lot of promises of winning championships has faded...It's time to deliver. The same thing will happen to NCST, Minnesota, and Purdue... You have to start WINNING...

This is a big year for Pitt... They need to post a least 8 wins this year, and next year, no less than 10 wins, or it's really going to be a struggle. Narduzzi knows it as well.
8 is realistic and is doable even with a tough schedule. Anything .500 or less I’ll be a non-believer in the current staff.

That is because we have more recruits than all but UK. All but UNC have average ratings better than ours. Our average rating gets worse with every recruit. This is setting up as the worst class for HCPN.

Maryland's coach has been there half the time and will definitely have a better class than us.

I’ve never been one to think that he’s headed back to MSU, but what if he is? What if Dantonio has told him 1-2 more years and he’s gonna go and Narduzzi is #1 on the list to replace him? Maybe Narduzzi is putting less effort into recruiting because he knows he’s on his way out. There was reported friction between Lyke and Narduzzi last year....

Even Penn State recruiting experts say it is a down year in Pa.The WPIAl is not turning out enough elite prospects to feed Pitt.When there is an elite kid,PSU,ND,Michigan,or Ohio State get them.I do like the idea of recruiting Florida.Pitt needs to make a strong presence in the DMV area.A lot of good prospects down there.Hopefully Pitt can get some quality players out of Ohio and more from Jersey.You can be a good coach ,but if you don't have the talent ,it is an uphill battle.Keeping my fingers crossed.

I’ve never been one to think that he’s headed back to MSU, but what if he is? What if Dantonio has told him 1-2 more years and he’s gonna go and Narduzzi is #1 on the list to replace him? Maybe Narduzzi is putting less effort into recruiting because he knows he’s on his way out. There was reported friction between Lyke and Narduzzi last year....

That doesn’t really make any sense. If he puts together a couple more 5-7 seasons he won’t be wanted at MSU, it’s not like he will just be given the job automatically no matter how bad his teams are here.

Even Penn State recruiting experts say it is a down year in Pa.The WPIAl is not turning out enough elite prospects to feed Pitt.When there is an elite kid,PSU,ND,Michigan,or Ohio State get them.I do like the idea of recruiting Florida.Pitt needs to make a strong presence in the DMV area.A lot of good prospects down there.Hopefully Pitt can get some quality players out of Ohio and more from Jersey.You can be a good coach ,but if you don't have the talent ,it is an uphill battle.Keeping my fingers crossed.

Let’s take a look at PSU’s recruits......nope, not a down year for them.

So the reason why our recruiting has overtaken them this year is the winning season we had last year? Recruits have bailed on Durkin after year 2 due to the losing record last year, but have jumped on board with Narduzzi after his losing season in year 3? What sense does that make?

That doesn’t really make any sense. If he puts together a couple more 5-7 seasons he won’t be wanted at MSU, it’s not like he will just be given the job automatically no matter how bad his teams are here.

You really think his next 2 freshmen classes have an effect on this year and next year’s record?

Wait, I thought everything was fine. Now Pitt has to win to make recruiting better?

You really think his next 2 freshmen classes have an effect on this year and next year’s record?

You think he's done anything so far that would lock him up for the Michigan State job to the point where he's just going through the motions?
If Narduzzi wants the Michigan State job, the next two years are an audition. And recruiting is part of the criteria, because it's not going to get much easier at Michigan State (average talent state, dominate instate rival cherry picking what they want).

You think he's done anything so far that would lock him up for the Michigan State job to the point where he's just going through the motions?
If Narduzzi wants the Michigan State job, the next two years are an audition. And recruiting is part of the criteria, because it's not going to get much easier at Michigan State (average talent state, dominate instate rival cherry picking what they want).

Yes I do. I think he has many years experience under his belt already working ar MSU. I think he has the endorsement of Dantonio who is like a football god there. I think he has coached and recruited well up till this year. I think you are over estimating the caliber of candidate that MSU will be attracting.

Yes I do. I think he has many years experience under his belt already working ar MSU. I think he has the endorsement of Dantonio who is like a football god there. I think he has coached and recruited well up till this year. I think you are over estimating the caliber of candidate that MSU will be attracting.
Yeah Michigan State really isn't a great job. Really tough division and prior to Dantonio they were pretty mediocre for a very long time.

We are taking 2 stars early in the cycle hoping they turn into 3 stars and people think he is slow playing the job to MSU. Sometimes I think this site is bizarro world.

What are you talking about? I said i think it’s possible. Not 1 other person has agreed with me and I have not even said that’s exactly what’s happening. Continue to exaggerate bs about the board to help you feel better about the state of recruiting.

It’s never too late to start.

Honestly I’ve been OK with his recruiting until this class. Regardless of what some posters want to believe, this class is not shaping up to be of the same quality as the last two. It’s project city.

Last edited:

Wait a minute, is that the whole story? They are behind us because they have less recruits. Avg star rating, they are ahead of us. So are we really outrecruiting them? I mean if we are going to make these observations, let's at least have some details attached to it.

Reactions: pittdan77
Have you guys not watched the way Duz recruits the last few seasons? He hits hard on a few boarderline 3/4 star guys early and nails about 95% that he gets on campus. Then a few of the projects commit in July/August. Narduzzi is hitting a bunch more 4 start guys now that will wait and their options will become less as their spots fill on other teams and Duz will put the pressure on late and again land 60-70% of those guys to round out the class. Its a formula that works. Its the same conversation every year at this time. Does everyone have amnesia?

Yeah Michigan State really isn't a great job. Really tough division and prior to Dantonio they were pretty mediocre for a very long time.
Dantonio has been at MSU for 11 years. He has 3 Big 10 championships and has beaten arch rival Michigan 8 times. He is one of the highest paid coaches in the game.

I think it’s safe to say what MSU football was before he got there is irrelevant. It’s not the same job it used to be.

That said, the suggestion that Duzzi is just mailing it in at Pitt because he and Dantonio have some succession pack is idiotic.

Reactions: pbrad and BFo8
Have you guys not watched the way Duz recruits the last few seasons? He hits hard on a few boarderline 3/4 star guys early and nails about 95% that he gets on campus. Then a few of the projects commit in July/August. Narduzzi is hitting a bunch more 4 start guys now that will wait and their options will become less as their spots fill on other teams and Duz will put the pressure on late and again land 60-70% of those guys to round out the class. Its a formula that works. Its the same conversation every year at this time. Does everyone have amnesia?

Yeah, I don't remember any of this.
When was the 2* G5/FCS portion last year?
When did he land 60-70% of those 4* guys? Implying multiple 4* guys. I remember the one.

Dantonio has been at MSU for 11 years. He has 3 Big 10 championships and has beaten arch rival Michigan 8 times. He is one of the highest paid coaches in the game.

I think it’s safe to say what MSU football was before he got there is irrelevant. It’s not the same job it used to be.

That said, the suggestion that Duzzi is just mailing it in at Pitt because he and Dantonio have some succession pack is idiotic.

MSU will not be able to sustain this run after Dantonio leaves unless the next is as good.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
The WPIAL has been overrated for years.

No, but they do have an ample supply of adult diapers.

We didn't last year. We still had a below average P5 class. We need to hit huge late to get to last year, which wasn't good enough.

Wait a minute, is that the whole story? They are behind us because they have less recruits. Avg star rating, they are ahead of us. So are we really outrecruiting them? I mean if we are going to make these observations, let's at least have some details attached to it.
@pittmeister isn't remotely interested in being honest or rational.

MSU will not be able to sustain this run after Dantonio leaves unless the next is as good.
Shocked that whole OTL report was swept under the rug so quickly. Him and Izzo should have been fired and they came out of it like nothing has happened. Their administration embarrassed themselves.

Shocked that whole OTL report was swept under the rug so quickly. Him and Izzo should have been fired and they came out of it like nothing has happened. Their administration embarrassed themselves.

How so? Nobody remembers this thing anymore, and both head coaches survived. I'd say the administration did a pretty damned good job, if that is the standard.

How so? Nobody remembers this thing anymore, and both head coaches survived. I'd say the administration did a pretty damned good job, if that is the standard.
They did do a good job, but the presidents reputation went to the sewer. I thought very highly of both Izzo and Dantonio, definitely not anymore.

but this years group is less than impressive (maybe because it is a down year in PA). OL recruiting during the Narduzzi tenure has been particularly disappointing. Maybe the new OL coach will work wonders and coach these guys up. I surely hope so. But you have to wonder:

How is Drake who was listed as a backup most of last season, not make the 2 deep?

I thought Warren was a top recruit. How is he not in the 2 deep?

Drake is on the 2 deep

Considering that Pa hs is down this year I think PN has a pretty good recruiting class to date. Some solid football players that will contribute. My concern is with the offensive line recruits, slim pickings in Pa, and the OL recruits to date appear to be big and beefy at best. PN and staff should focus on the juco ranks for the next couple of seasons until a regular rotation of OL talent can be cultivated.

That is because we have more recruits than all but UK. All but UNC have average ratings better than ours. Our average rating gets worse with every recruit. This is setting up as the worst class for HCPN.

Maryland's coach has been there half the time and will definitely have a better class than us.

How in the hell are there people that STILL don't understand this ?

Considering that Pa hs is down this year I think PN has a pretty good recruiting class to date. Some solid football players that will contribute. My concern is with the offensive line recruits, slim pickings in Pa, and the OL recruits to date appear to be big and beefy at best. PN and staff should focus on the juco ranks for the next couple of seasons until a regular rotation of OL talent can be cultivated.
How is PA being down an excuse? We get crushed in OH, NJ, and the DMV, too. We offer kids, but just don't get them.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT