ADVERTISEMENT

I know that some may be offended by this, but the sport of Soccer...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
is one of the dumbest sports being played today.
Being that there are so few other options when it comes to watching sports on television, I have forced myself to watch this horrendous sport. Over the last 3 weeks, I swear that I have seen more goals disallowed because of someone being offside, then I have of seeing goals scored.
What makes it worse is that the most of the people who were deemed to be offside, were offside by miniscule amounts like an elbow, or a hand, or God forbid the most recent one...a heel of a player who was running away from the net.
I mean, come on!!! Your sport is boring as hell when it is being played by the top players in the world. adding this offside nonsense takes away from the flow of the sport. People think MLB is bad because it is so boring (and it is), but soccer takes the cake for me.
Add the constant diving and rolling around on the ground after every tiny little touch of their body by an opponent and the goalies who dive for every ball kicked towards the net...What a horrible sport.

Being that there are so few other options when it comes to watching sports on television, I have forced myself to watch this horrendous sport. Over the last 3 weeks, I swear that I have seen more goals disallowed because of someone being offside, then I have of seeing goals scored.
What makes it worse is that the most of the people who were deemed to be offside, were offside by miniscule amounts like an elbow, or a hand, or God forbid the most recent one...a heel of a player who was running away from the net.
I mean, come on!!! Your sport is boring as hell when it is being played by the top players in the world. adding this offside nonsense takes away from the flow of the sport. People think MLB is bad because it is so boring (and it is), but soccer takes the cake for me.
Add the constant diving and rolling around on the ground after every tiny little touch of their body by an opponent and the goalies who dive for every ball kicked towards the net...What a horrible sport.

Most of the world disagrees with you. Having said this, I liked watching my son play soccer when he was 10 and that was about it.

This seems better.

not offended. just disagree.

you're entitled to your opinion. i'd say go watch messi highlights or something if you want to see the magic of the game vs some of the stuff going on right now - due to the big delays in training over the covid stuff, a lot of the games going on right now are pretty poor, admittedly.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
I don't usually watch soccer, but I will plan to watch US Soccer when they play. In fact, I used to very much like to watch the USWNT until it got so overly political. For me, they used to be so likable up until a couple of years ago.

I've tried to watch the European leagues as they've come back this summer and just can't get into them as there is no connection to the league or any of the teams. Though, I do like going to Riverhound games and have been to an MLS game. It's much better in person than it is on TV.

I don't usually watch soccer, but I will plan to watch US Soccer when they play. In fact, I used to very much like to watch the USWNT until it got so overly political. For me, they used to be so likable up until a couple of years ago.

this used to be me. my buddy challenged me to pick a team and follow them. he was right. the international stuff, especially the USMNT, is so poor in comparison. the top european clubs are accessible in ways they weren't just a few years ago. they have top players from all over the world and it's a much better watch.

plus, the USMNT is so crap the last few years. i haven't gotten over the T&T loss. just turned me off completely.

this used to be me. my buddy challenged me to pick a team and follow them. he was right. the international stuff, especially the USMNT, is so poor in comparison. the top european clubs are accessible in ways they weren't just a few years ago. they have top players from all over the world and it's a much better watch.

plus, the USMNT is so crap the last few years. i haven't gotten over the T&T loss. just turned me off completely.
That was a terrible ending. Almost unbelievable.

Reactions: pitt90seven

You mean they enforce the rules in soccer?

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I actually thought that when they had the indoor soccer league it was pretty exciting. Lots of scoring and action. Friend of a friend was one of the goalies for the old Atlanta Chiefs so we got to see a fair amount. I think a lot had to do with the smaller size of the field since it was played on basically a hockey rink sans ice. Alas the league folded.

I've tried to watch the European leagues as they've come back this summer and just can't get into them as there is no connection to the league or any of the teams. Though, I do like going to Riverhound games and have been to an MLS game. It's much better in person than it is on TV.
If you're looking for a connection, you could try to watch Chelsea when they're on TV - 21 year old Chelsea midfielder Christian Pulisic might already be the best American (non-goalkeeper) player of all time, and he's from Hershey. He's been spectacular since the Premier League came back.

Reactions: pitt90seven
I agree they need to be more liberal with offsides. Soccer is tough to watch if you don't have a rooting interest. If you do have a rooting interest, its the most exhilarating sport to watch because 1 goal changes everything and it can come at any time.

Reactions: Ray-Ray
I'm not a soccer fan at all, but I've gotten into a few World Cups. Like hockey, I find it to be boring most of the time but laced with periods of extreme excitement.

I'll say this... after watching the World Cup pretty closely (this was years ago), it actually took me a while to adjust to watching American Football again, because everything is stop/start as opposed to having constant action. I much (MUCH) prefer American Football, but I can certainly see how one would prefer a more fluid game if that's what they grew up on.

As for offsides...I agree. I've long said that about soccer and hockey. But I'm coming from a place of not understanding either game very well, so I can understand how it would upset the purists. I wouldn't want someone suggesting you should be able to throw multiple forward passes in American Football, for example, just because it would make the game more exciting.

I’m a hockey referee. There is not and should not ever be subjectivity associated with offsides because 99.999% of the time you can tell definitively whether it’s on or off, either live or with the blue-line cameras. It’s a slippery, slippery slope if you open up that can of worms and just say, “well, he was CLOSE to being onside, so we’ll just wave it off”

No. Just no.

Now, if you want to talk about how NHL referees need to establish a more consistent manner in which they enforce (or don’t) penalties, I’m with you.

But linesmen, by and large, are phenomenal in the NHL.

Every sport has its pros and cons, but to each, their own.

I like how I can commit myself to watch a soccer game starting at 8am, knowing it is going to end two hours later. No commercials for the two halves.

The whole "rules" argument, i think it is a current problem in all of the major sports.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Soccer....... The sport of the future; and it always will be.

If you're looking for a connection, you could try to watch Chelsea when they're on TV - 21 year old Chelsea midfielder Christian Pulisic might already be the best American (non-goalkeeper) player of all time, and he's from Hershey. He's been spectacular since the Premier League came back.

Has Pulisic had a leap forward in play this year?

Watch golf. Or NASCAR. Nothing like watching a little white ball rolling around on a lawn or a car going left real fast for a few hours.

Most of the world disagrees with you. Having said this, I liked watching my son play soccer when he was 10 and that was about it.
You may be absolutely correct about the rest of the world, BUT that's because most of the world hasn't seen a sport like Ice Hockey being played at the highest level. Soccer could take a few of hockey's rules and apply them to the sport and make it a much more entertaining game to watch.
By the way, if my son was playing soccer I'd like watching him play as well.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
not offended. just disagree.

you're entitled to your opinion. i'd say go watch messi highlights or something if you want to see the magic of the game vs some of the stuff going on right now - due to the big delays in training over the covid stuff, a lot of the games going on right now are pretty poor, admittedly.
Messi, Renaldo and a couple of other players are worth watching, but that's about it.

Agree it wierd soccer is actually very entertaining when played by 6 to 12 year olds probably one of the best kids sports to watch as the competition increases the entertainment value decreases, at least for me

I actually thought that when they had the indoor soccer league it was pretty exciting. Lots of scoring and action. Friend of a friend was one of the goalies for the old Atlanta Chiefs so we got to see a fair amount. I think a lot had to do with the smaller size of the field since it was played on basically a hockey rink sans ice. Alas the league folded.
My daughter played in a indoor league this year it was pretty cool. Not many outof bounds so the action is non-stop

Has Pulisic had a leap forward in play this year?

I don't know if I'd call it a leap, but he is getting better. As you would expect a guy his age to do. He was good at the beginning of the year, then he dropped off some before the shutdown, but since they've come back he may very well be Chelsea's best player. Which is saying something, because Chelsea has mostly played pretty well since the resumption of play.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Also not a soccer guy. I will say that I’ve watched more soccer on NBCSN. There’s no denying the kill Needed to do what they do it’s the lack of scoring chances. The women’s game is actually a better watch IMO because it seems they have more legit chances. 35 years ago my wife and I enjoyed going to Civic Arena to watch the indoor Soccer. Pittsburgh Spirit played Cleveland before 15 k. The indoor league scores were like 11-9. Much more offensive.

I think a lot had to do with the smaller size of the field

I am not a soccer fan whatever, but I do remember playing soccer at some kids house when I was about 10 years old in his small back yard with 3-4 on a team and we had a blast because the field was so small the goalies were constantly in action.
I think I was put off by the anti football crowd of parents back around mid 90's. You know, "they hit a lot harder in soccer than football," etc., then you go to a game and the same parents start screaming at the refs each and every moment their kid is touched by an opposing player, comical if they weren't so condescending. I have a feeling things have really gotten better over the last 20 years as more people understand the sport, and I don't hear the outrages stuff comparing itself to football as often or with the same envy/hate filled attacks.

Add the constant diving and rolling around on the ground after every tiny little touch of their body by an opponent and the goalies who dive for every ball kicked towards the net...What a horrible sport.[/QUOTE. Looks like hockey on grass, looks like the same idea, one, to get the ball into the net and the other to get the puck into the net, while the other team try's to stop you, I don't like either

Looks like hockey on grass, same idea, one you have to get the ball into the net and the other you have to get the puck into the net, while the other team try's to stop you, I don't like either

I don't know if I'd call it a leap, but he is getting better. As you would expect a guy his age to do. He was good at the beginning of the year, then he dropped off some before the shutdown, but since they've come back he may very well be Chelsea's best player. Which is saying something, because Chelsea has mostly played pretty well since the resumption of play.

he didn't get much of a chance last fall. then he was getting more PT but then COVID hit and he's been on fire since the return.

Cheap sport to play growing up or living in a poorer nation, all you need is a ball. Not my cup of tea, but I like my own “boring” things so I can’t rip on fans of soccer.

Reactions: Mikefln
Since we have a soccer thread here, a quick shoutout to Highmark Stadium. It follows the rest of the city’s lead in having spectacular views.
4-14-highmark-1.jpg

I know it’s very popular, but it’s just not my cup of tea either.
I remember when I was in China for 11 days to get my adopted daughter. There was little on TV to watch, but lots of soccer. I tried REALLY hard to like it. I remember thinking the highlight of most games was someone making incredible and athletic moves with the ball, 100 yards from the goal. And then making a great move to pass it to someone 75 yards from the goal, who then shoots it 20 yards wide of the goal. I also always felt like a game that was 1-0, would have instead been 2-1 if you had put in two hot-dog vendors as the goalie’s.
But like I said, it’s just my opinion. I’m sure people would have an easy time making fun of the sports I like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT