ADVERTISEMENT

I know this is a Pitt Football website, but...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
I would like to point out that Alexander Ovechkin just scored his 12th goal of the season and 742nd of his career, placing him 4th place in most goals scored in a career. Whether you like him, you have to appreciate the amazing talent that the man has. If you are in your 40's, you have seen some incredible NHL players over your lifetime. Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Sidney Crosby, Evegeni Malkin and Alexander Ovechkin are either in the NHL Hall of Fame already or will be when their careers are done.
We are very fortunate to be experiencing all of this amazing talent with our own two eyes.
That's it. Enjoy the huge Pitt win yesterday and let's hope and pray that the same Pitt team shows up next week against Virginia. My early prediction for that game is Pitt 34 - Virginia 31.
H2P!!!

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
To do what he's done in the era in which he's done it is amazing. The NHL officers should be lined up and shot for doing such a pass poor job of marketing Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and others in that era and for allowing Malkin and Crosby to be roughed up by no-talent players as they were. Stupid.

Smart hockey fans only don’t like Ovechkin when he’s playing the Pens. Guy is a class act off the ice and the animosity he and Crosby and he and Malkin have is strictly during the time they are playing. You guys are both right and the fact that we get to see Crosby and Ovechkin simultaneously has been spectacular.

I would like to point out that Alexander Ovechkin just scored his 12th goal of the season and 742nd of his career, placing him 4th place in most goals scored in a career. Whether you like him, you have to appreciate the amazing talent that the man has. If you are in your 40's, you have seen some incredible NHL players over your lifetime. Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Sidney Crosby, Evegeni Malkin and Alexander Ovechkin are either in the NHL Hall of Fame already or will be when their careers are done.
We are very fortunate to be experiencing all of this amazing talent with our own two eyes.
That's it. Enjoy the huge Pitt win yesterday and let's hope and pray that the same Pitt team shows up next week against Virginia. My early prediction for that game is Pitt 34 - Virginia 31.
H2P!!!

Who?

Guy is amazing. No doubt. Makes me think of how opponent fans must have felt every time Lemieux had the puck on his stick.

Ovechkin is a gifted goal scorer, however his game isn't nearly as complete as the other greats mentioned. He's not much of a play maker/passer. At least he stopped his head-hunting on defense a few years ago.

HOF for sure, even though he is a one note player.

Reactions: TheFormula
Ovechkin is a gifted goal scorer, however his game isn't nearly as complete as the other greats mentioned. He's not much of a play maker/passer. At least he stopped his head-hunting on defense a few years ago.

HOF for sure, even though he is a one note player.
Very hard to judge how good someone is as a "play maker/passer". There are many variables that go into that very subjective decision and none of them will ever answer how good or bad a player really is as a "play maker/passer". I tend to agree with what Wayne Gretzky st the start of the NHL season this year, when he stated that "Alex Ovechkin" is the best pure goal scorer in the history of the NHL.

Guy is amazing. No doubt. Makes me think of how opponent fans must have felt every time Lemieux had the puck on his stick.
Get serious. Ovechkin is an amazing goal scorer. But please don’t mention him in the same breath as Lemieux. He couldn’t carry the Great One’s jock strap as far as total game goes.

To do what he's done in the era in which he's done it is amazing. The NHL officers should be lined up and shot for doing such a pass poor job of marketing Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and others in that era and for allowing Malkin and Crosby to be roughed up by no-talent players as they were. Stupid.
Roughed up? Then it follows that Mario was eviscerated nightly in plain view of everyone while 99 was protected.

Get serious. Ovechkin is an amazing goal scorer. But please don’t mention him in the same breath as Lemieux. He couldn’t carry the Great One’s jock strap as far as total game goes.
Stop being a Yinzer. Wayne Gretzky, of all people, is the one who said that Ovechkin is probably the best pure goal scorer in the history of the league.

Ovechkin is amazing. But Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemiux are the Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron of hockey. Saw them both play live in their prime and just now realizing how lucky I am for that.

Oh the marketing would have been insane if they were on Canadian teams.

Oh I agree. No athlete in any sport was more dominant than Mario for me. So I’m not trying to compare them as players. But I do have to admit, when I’m watching the Caps vs the Pens and it’s a high stakes game, I’m worried when the Caps are on the power play and I’m watching Ovechkin at all times.

Stop being a Yinzer. Wayne Gretzky, of all people, is the one who said that Ovechkin is probably the best pure goal scorer in the history of the league.
And Gretzky said Lemieux was better than he was. It’s what the greats say.
Ovechkin isn’t Lemieux and Gretzky. But he and Crosby are a few notches below. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Oh I agree. No athlete in any sport was more dominant than Mario for me. So I’m not trying to compare them as players. But I do have to admit, when I’m watching the Caps vs the Pens and it’s a high stakes game, I’m worried when the Caps are on the power play and I’m watching Ovechkin at all times.
When he goes to his spot the left dot on the PP I hate to see the puck go that way.

Reactions: sonofabit
Very hard to judge how good someone is as a "play maker/passer". There are many variables that go into that very subjective decision and none of them will ever answer how good or bad a player really is as a "play maker/passer". I tend to agree with what Wayne Gretzky st the start of the NHL season this year, when he stated that "Alex Ovechkin" is the best pure goal scorer in the history of the NHL.
It's not hard at all. Just watch if player X makes those around him better. Mario made a guy like Robbie Brown a 50 goal scorer. Look at the ratio of assists to goals.

You do realize that your assessment of Ovechkin is equally as subjective?

When he goes to his spot the left dot on the PP I hate to see the puck go that way.
Yeah. That was my point. My heart palpitates at that point. And I can’t be the only one. In fact I know im not, as evidenced by the attention that opposing coaches and teams pay to that side of the ice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT