ADVERTISEMENT

I know it probably not a popular thing here in Pittsburgh, but...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
...Congratulations to the Washington Capitals Alex Ovechkin on scoring the 798th, 799th and 800th goal of his NHL career. That puts him one behind Gordie Howe for second place and 94 behind Wayne Gretzky for the Number 1 spot.
A tremendous accomplishment by one of the best players to every play the game.
Congratulations to "The Great 8"!!!

...Congratulations to the Washington Capitals Alex Ovechkin on scoring the 798th, 799th and 800th goal of his NHL career. That puts him one behind Gordie Howe for second place and 94 behind Wayne Gretzky for the Number 1 spot.
He’s been blessed by great health and longevity. That said, if he had played in Gretzky’s era, he’d probably have 1300-1400 goals at this point.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Why not? It’s a free message board. The OT threads are the best threads on this board and for Pitt football discussion, Fifth and Forbes is a good and better option.

Seems that people have gotten away from putting OT: in front of the OT threads. Would be great if rivals had a way for you to tag them on creation so they could be filtered out if desired. But I realize this is a free board and it’s a minor gripe.

On this topic, where does Ovechkin stack vs Crosby now? I know they are two different types of players but how do they do down as far as greatness if they retired today? They was a time when it was Crosby, no question. But now I think it’s up for debate, especially given the championships in Washington.

• Love
Reactions: FireballZ
Goal scoring alone isn’t a fair indicator of course. Could we have pics of Gretzky’s daughter and Ovechkins daughter posted so that we can further analyze the accomplishments of these two greats? What? Ovi has no daughter? No matter, post pics anyway.

Seems that people have gotten away from putting OT: in front of the OT threads. Would be great if rivals had a way for you to tag them on creation so they could be filtered out if desired. But I realize this is a free board and it’s a minor gripe.

On this topic, where does Ovechkin stack vs Crosby now? I know they are two different types of players but how do they do down as far as greatness if they retired today? They was a time when it was Crosby, no question. But now I think it’s up for debate, especially given the championships in Washington.
I think provincial people will say Crosby all the way and minimize Ovey’s greatness. For me I’m comfortable enough saying they they are two different players who came into the league together and were both great. That said, there’s a limitation in Ovey’s game that made him a career winger.

The guy defines offensive power in hockey. I know that it’s an exaggeration, but It seems as though at least 40% of his goals were against the Penguins. He feasted on that wicked shot from the point - especially on power plays.

Hockey is for short, round fat guys (usually with a bad goatee) who have never played an organized sport. I can see why the one poster objected, but it's a free message board. Time to go dress my dogs. Have a great day, everyone.

The only times I've seen Ovi not take a shot is when he played in the annual Putin game and HAD to pass the puck to MVP Vladimir.

images

Reactions: Franb and Fk_Pitt
It's no doubt a great feat. He has been blessed by good health throughout. The parallels between the Pens and the Caps is amazing. Both acquired their core talent base at almost the same time. Everyone remembers the Pens winning the Crosby lottery. What people fail to remember is the Caps actually won the lottery over the Penguins to get Ovechkin. Of course the second prize in that draft wasn't too shabby, Evgeny Malkin.

I still think the best pure goal scorer ever was Mario Lemieux, just by the countless ways he can beat you. AO is that pure home run hitter. I am guessing he will pass Gretzky.

I also know that Sid is on pace for a season that few 35+ year olds ever have. So they both are still impactful players.

Obviously.

Reactions: cbpitt2 and Fk_Pitt
He’s got a great slap shot which is primarily where he does his damage .
Credit due for longevity -
But like owt said - he’s not even close as the pure goal scorer Mario and honestly even Gretzky was

Reactions: pbrad
How many more years does he need to expect to play to pass Gretzky?
he'll pass Gordie howe up here in a week. He will need at least two more years to pass Wayne up in goals..

in assists/points, to pass up wayne, he needs about 1300 more assists. he gets about a 1/2 assist per game. gonna say that record is safe..

As a Penguin fan, I cannot complain. I mean, especially over the last 30 some years, to be treated what we have gotten to witness, and the 5 Cup Championships, no one is going to feel sorry for a Penguins fan. But it is such a bittersweet thing also.

Mario Lemieux, when he was basically scoring 1 goal a game and over 2 points a game, back injuries and then cancer took out about 250 games from Mario's prime. He may not have caught Gretzky in total points, but definitely would have finished with over 900 goals and likely around 2500 points. Gretzky played 550 more games than Mario.

Additionally, when Sidney Crosby got concussed on NYD in 2011, he was on pace for a 60+ goal, 130 point season. He missed over 120 games (season and a half) in his prime. So he would also be much higher in the statistical categories

Also.....the 1991 Penguins team had 7 of the top 50 All Time leading scorers in NHL history. SEVEN! There are many franchises who don't have any in their history.

Also had 12 of the top 50 scorers play for the Penguins, at least at some point in their careers.

he'll pass Gordie howe up here in a week. He will need at least two more years to pass Wayne up in goals..

in assists/points, to pass up wayne, he needs about 1300 more assists. he gets about a 1/2 assist per game. gonna say that record is safe..
I knew Gretzky's total point record is safe, but it does sound like Ovi has a very real shot at the goal record if it will only take about 2-3 more seasons.

I knew Gretzky's total point record is safe, but it does sound like Ovi has a very real shot at the goal record if it will only take about 2-3 more seasons.
yeah, only 84 away. he's got 20 goals in 30 games.. he keeps that pace, that's 2 years (not including this one)

Mike Bossy is the greatest goal-scorer in history, if you go by goals per game, 0.762. In second is Mario, 0.754.

Ovechkin is, 7th, 0.613 gpg to Wayne's 0.601, good for 8th.

In between Lemieux and Alex is Cy Denneny, Babe Dye, Auston Matthews and Pavel Bure.

As we all know Gretzky is first in assists per game, 1.32 and Lemieux is second, 1.129. Nobody else is above one apg. Ovechkin is currently 188th all-time with 0.493 apg.

I don't have any trouble saying Gretzky and Lemieux were the two greatest scorers, ever, because Gretzkey averaged 1.921 ppg. and Lemieux is second with 1.883 ppg. Bossy is third with 1.497, Sid is 7th at 1.273 ppg. and Malkin is 16th, 1.163. Ovechkin is 29th, 1.107 ppg.

Reactions: cbpitt2
Gretzky has more assist than anyone will likely ever have total points so it’s kinda a silly threshold
well, we're talking about goals though. and he is within striking distance of passing gretzy as the top goal-scorer of all time. I hope he does. not sure what assists has to do with that.

if Ovy had played in Gretzky's era, pretty much multiply his goals by 1.25. Gretzky era, NHL goals per game were at or close to 4 per game. Look at the NHL the last 15 years, it's in the 2.75 (ish).

Now recently, the last two years, it's finally over 3 but that's a recent trend..

Mario’s best year was when he had 199 points. If he played every game, it was a pace of 209 points.

As I recall Mario had some minor things nagging that year. Not sure if Gretzky had anything nagging in his record setting year of 215 points. That was an era where we had no real idea what was going on in Edmonton, Alberta. But Lemieux missing 4 games due to injury was a good year for him and if he played every game he had an outside shot at the record.

In Gretzky’s prime of 8 years, he missed 8 games total. One year he missed 6 games, two others he missed one game, and the other 5 years of his prime he played every game. It’s been a long time since I thought about these stats, so I might be misremembering, but I don’t think so.

Gretzky was blessed with great talent. And also blessed with great health.

Reactions: cbpitt2
if Ovy had played in Gretzky's era, pretty much multiply his goals by 1.25. Gretzky era, NHL goals per game were at or close to 4 per game. Look at the NHL the last 15 years, it's in the 2.75 (ish).

Now recently, the last two years, it's finally over 3 but that's a recent trend..
Yeah that was my point earlier in the thread. If guys like Teemu Selanne and Brett Hull were putting up 80 goal seasons, Ovey would have averaged 80 goals per season over a long period of time. He’d have a couple hundred more goals.

Mike Bossy is the greatest goal-scorer in history, if you go by goals per game, 0.762. In second is Mario, 0.754.

Ovechkin is, 7th, 0.613 gpg to Wayne's 0.601, good for 8th.

In between Lemieux and Alex is Cy Denneny, Babe Dye, Auston Matthews and Pavel Bure.

As we all know Gretzky is first in assists per game, 1.32 and Lemieux is second, 1.129. Nobody else is above one apg. Ovechkin is currently 188th all-time with 0.493 apg.

I don't have any trouble saying Gretzky and Lemieux were the two greatest scorers, ever, because Gretzkey averaged 1.921 ppg. and Lemieux is second with 1.883 ppg. Bossy is third with 1.497, Sid is 7th at 1.273 ppg. and Malkin is 16th, 1.163. Ovechkin is 29th, 1.107 ppg.
Mike Bossy is definitely an underrated and unfairly forgotten talent for sure. I began enjoying hockey in his heyday…as an opposing fan, his sniping ability was fearsome. As his other teammates of course. That certainly helped him, as good teammates helped Gretzky and … well not so much Mario early on, but eventually.

Mario’s best year was when he had 199 points. If he played every game, it was a pace of 209 points.

As I recall Mario had some minor things nagging that year. Not sure if Gretzky had anything nagging in his record setting year of 215 points. That was an era where we had no real idea what was going on in Edmonton, Alberta. But Lemieux missing 4 games due to injury was a good year for him and if he played every game he had an outside shot at the record.

In Gretzky’s prime of 8 years, he missed 8 games total. One year he missed 6 games, two others he missed one game, and the other 5 years of his prime he played every game. It’s been a long time since I thought about these stats, so I might be misremembering, but I don’t think so.

Ahh....but the year he had Hodgkins and had to sit out 20 games...

He had 69 goals and 160 points in 60 games!! With many of those games occuring AFTER cancer treatment. Mario would have projected out to 93 goals 228 points. He averaged almost 3 points a game.

And in the year he scored 85 goals and 114 points, Robbie Brown and Bob Errey were his linemates. Gretzky had HOFer Jari Kurri and Glenn Anderson who also was a perennial All Star. He also had HOFer in Mark Messier to sometimes sub on his line and PP.

• Love
Reactions: Fk_Pitt and PittAU

And a better team for the first half of his career.

If Mario had not gotten sick he would be mentioned in the same breath as Wayne. Most avid hockey fans will agree, the casual observers may not.

Mike Bossy is definitely an underrated and unfairly forgotten talent for sure. I began enjoying hockey in his heyday…as an opposing fan, his sniping ability was fearsome. As his other teammates of course. That certainly helped him, as good teammates helped Gretzky and … well not so much Mario early on, but eventually.
Loved Bossy. Hated the Islanders. Still do.

And a better team for the first half of his career.

If Mario had not gotten sick he would be mentioned in the same breath as Wayne. Most avid hockey fans will agree, the casual observers may not.
Ummmmm.......Mario IS mentioned in the same breath as Gretzky. Pretty much acknowledged the 3 greatest players of all time are Gretzky, Mario and Orr. And most people will even say, doesn't matter the order. Those are the three.

Ummmmm.......Mario IS mentioned in the same breath as Gretzky. Pretty much acknowledged the 3 greatest players of all time are Gretzky, Mario and Orr. And most people will even say, doesn't matter the order. Those are the three.
I agree. The difference is essentially no one outside of Pittsburgh thinks Lemieux was the best ever. Hard to argue as Wayne has scoreboard. But Mario’s health robbed him of that kind of immortality. We know that. But most of the world doesn’t.

Reactions: PittAU
......the casual observers may not

There is another part of the "East Coast Bias" but Mario and the Pens played in the rugged Patrick Division. Really between the mid 80's and mid 90's, there was no bad team. Often, and it was the Penguins those first Mario years, a team with one of the 10-12 best records would be left out of the playoffs because everyone in the Patrick was over .500 (those days no loser points for ties).

The West was the Wild Wild West. The East was more buttoned down, not just with the Patrick Division but you had the Canadiens and Bruins also in the East.

Similarily now, so far 10 teams in the NHL have given up over 100 goals so far. 8 of them exist in the west. Connor McDavid gets to feast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT