ADVERTISEMENT

I like this hire

TD_istheman

Junior
Nov 3, 2015
He will have many more resources to work with at Pitt. If he hires the right asst coaches, he will win here. I would like to keep knight if he wants to stay, he will learn a lot under this coach. He might be ready to take over next time we need a hire, you never know. I am usually pessimistic, but I think this will work out in the end.

Beware the HYPOCRITES who didn;t want Dixon, didn't want Pederson, didn't want Knight, didn't want any mid major guy etc etc will blow you away with their unending hate. I don't have a clue to what this guy will do here, but the ignore the HATERS because they would have hated any hire, even tho of course now they say otherwise. Look at their pre hire postings.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
I wanted Miller, I was disappointed when we didn't get him. I wanted a few others as well. When I heard he was hired, I went and talked with a few Vandy fans , season ticket holders, they think he can do very well at Pitt.

They told me a story where he had to fund something out of his own pocket that was like 100, 000 basketball related, he won't have to do that at Pitt. They say he has a great personality and is a family man and recruits as well as he could at Vandy. With Barnes and the new President at Pitt, they will give him what he needs to be successful

Nope.

This was a dreadful move by Pitt. And dopes like you....with your rationalizing all of this....make it easy to keep status quo.....

I am cancelling my tickets and donations today. Only when Pitt shows they are serious about basketball in the A C C will I come back.

It's been said that fans get the success they deserve. With sheep like those of you trying to justify this move......you will get what you deserve.......

Which is nothing but mediocrity on the court and in the ADs office.

Reactions: UPitt '89
I wanted Miller, I was disappointed when we didn't get him. I wanted a few others as well. When I heard he was hired, I went and talked with a few Vandy fans , season ticket holders, they think he can do very well at Pitt.

They told me a story where he had to fund something out of his own pocket that was like 100, 000 basketball related, he won't have to do that at Pitt. They say he has a great personality and is a family man and recruits as well as he could at Vandy. With Barnes and the new President at Pitt, they will give him what he needs to be successful

I still don't know the fascination with Miller. I didn't want him and I didn't want his brother. I don't want a coach just because they played at Pitt or because they are from the area. That is short sighted. Everyone should want a coach because they feel they can recruit and win. Period. S Miller underachieves with the level of talent he recruits.

Maybe all the young up and coming coaches turned Pitt down. But I hope they were at least all offered.

The old saying goes, "When something happens that doesn't make sense, follow the Money" (Cronyism applies too).

If you want to like the hire, that is your choice to make. I chose not to like it.

Reactions: eastcoasthoops
He will have many more resources to work with at Pitt. If he hires the right asst coaches, he will win here. I would like to keep knight if he wants to stay, he will learn a lot under this coach. He might be ready to take over next time we need a hire, you never know. I am usually pessimistic, but I think this will work out in the end.
How do you know he'll have more resources?? Because you read it here??

Reactions: Ski11585
Do some research, dude has to go into his own pocket to fund things for basketball at Vandy! I bet he doesn't have to do that at Pitt.

Let's give him a chance and see what he can do at Pitt in the next few years. I am on record right now saying, Barnes will look great in the end. Save this post

How do you know he'll have more resources?? Because you read it here??
He doesn't !!!
One thing is clear .....
Over two decidedly tougher conferences JD had a record superior to Stallings in both wins and ability to get his team in the tourney.
That one need not be speculated over

Perhaps TD is thinking about Frankie all along ...

I still don't know the fascination with Miller. I didn't want him and I didn't want his brother. I don't want a coach just because they played at Pitt or because they are from the area. That is short sighted. Everyone should want a coach because they feel they can recruit and win. Period. S Miller underachieves with the level of talent he recruits.

Maybe all the young up and coming coaches turned Pitt down. But I hope they were at least all offered.

The old saying goes, "When something happens that doesn't make sense, follow the Money" (Cronyism applies too).

If you want to like the hire, that is your choice to make. I chose not to like it.
The Millers weren't my preferred choices either, but they have both done a lot of winning the past several years, which is more than can be said for Stallings-or Dixon.

Nope.

This was a dreadful move by Pitt. And dopes like you....with your rationalizing all of this....make it easy to keep status quo.....

I am cancelling my tickets and donations today. Only when Pitt shows they are serious about basketball in the A C C will I come back.

It's been said that fans get the success they deserve. With sheep like those of you trying to justify this move......you will get what you deserve.......

If I were to go back and look at every questionable Pitt hire over the last 30 years, there are lots of points where fans have threatened to jump ship (quite a bit when Dixon was hired). The fans have generally stuck around. What causes fans to jump ship is mediocrity and a general downward trend, as we've experienced over the past 4-5 years (looking .

I think the next four years of Stallings, at worst, will see our fortunes remain about the same. The benefit to hiring an experienced P5 coach is that there is less risk involved. The downside is that there is less perceived upside. I am going to reserve all judgement until I see what he can do with almost the same roster next year. There is no rebuild here, so I would expect him to at least maintain our current level in year one.

Nope.

Nope.

I don't know enough about the ins and outs of college coaching to be an expert on this hiring. I do know most people were against the JD hiring when it happened. I know most thought the Barnes hiring was pretty good. I know there are some in other fan bases that want Huggins, Boeheim and Williams fired.

Dreadful is a pretty strong word, what would have looked like a serious move to you. We don't know anything about negotiations with other candidates. The more people who cancel, the more likely a "serious" candidate will laugh at an offer if and when this coach is gone.

If you don't want to go to the games, don't go. Don't blame it on the coaching hire. Plenty of people hate Mike Tomlin but still go to the games. At the same time if this guy ends up winning 20 -25 games consistently, don't go to the games.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Do some research, dude has to go into his own pocket to fund things for basketball at Vandy! I bet he doesn't have to do that at Pitt.

Let's give him a chance and see what he can do at Pitt in the next few years. I am on record right now saying, Barnes will look great in the end. Save this post

Just because he skipped a $100k pay raise 7 years ago to help fund a 10 day Australian basketball doesn't mean he had no resources. If you actually look at the numbers Vanderbilt basketball budget was $1.2 million more than Pitt's. So please don't act like he had no resources and had to buy basketballs himself.

Pitt Basketball Budget: $8,621,103
Vanderbilt Basketball Budget: $9,912,002

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

Reactions: Ski11585
Look, he couldn't recruit 90% of those players in the SEC, standards were that high. At Pitt he will get top 20 classes each year. We will be fine and let's have faith and give him a shot. Please

If I were to go back and look at every questionable Pitt hire over the last 30 years, there are lots of points where fans have threatened to jump ship (quite a bit when Dixon was hired). The fans have generally stuck around. What causes fans to jump ship is mediocrity and a general downward trend, as we've experienced over the past 4-5 years (looking .

I think the next four years of Stallings, at worst, will see our fortunes remain about the same. The benefit to hiring an experienced P5 coach is that there is less risk involved. The downside is that there is less perceived upside. I am going to reserve all judgement until I see what he can do with almost the same roster next year. There is no rebuild here, so I would expect him to at least maintain our current level in year one.
Those 2 sentences sum it all up in the simplest and shortest way possible. I'm not crazy about the hire as I tend to lean towards the riskier side of the fence, i.e., the potential or 'perceived upside' of a young up n comer. But there is no denying that option involves more risk. This decision by Barnes seems to suggest that his view is that the program isn't far off, just needed some tweaking by a new or different face to get it back on an upward path. And he emphasized someone with significant Div 1 head coaching experience to be that new face.

So that's one way to look at it. The other way I guess is to believe there was some heavy-handed shenanigans going on with the search company and their vested interests in multiple pockets.

Resources and Pitt.....surely you jest.

Just because he skipped a $100k pay raise 7 years ago to help fund a 10 day Australian basketball doesn't mean he had no resources. If you actually look at the numbers Vanderbilt basketball budget was $1.2 million more than Pitt's. So please don't act like he had no resources and had to buy basketballs himself.

Pitt Basketball Budget: $8,621,103
Vanderbilt Basketball Budget: $9,912,002

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

What's the world coming to when a nitter is the voice of reason.

Nitter is an idiot! Frankly Pitt fans are sounding like this nitter douche! I guess next you will tell me, recruiting will be more difficult than it was at Vandy. Lmao

Nope.

Goodbye Cruel World

Finally! someone who doesn't hate and put negativity into everything. All people on this board have done since the hire has complain, complain, complain. It's honestly the most pathetic thing, at the end of the day, we have no idea what the coach will do at Pitt.

I understand he had great talent at Vandy this year and pretty much did nothing with it. So what? Does that mean he's not capable of winning at all?

I just don't understand why people bother complaining right now. What's the point? just wait until the season starts to see how things play out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT