ADVERTISEMENT

I want to know where the naysayers are.

I felt bad for number 7 but that also highlighted how little depth Pitt has in the secondary to have such a steep drop off after Hamlin went out.

Pitt had no business winning this game as Carolina has several potential deep passing plays for touchdowns either dropped by receivers or overthrown by their quarterback. Been a while since I have seen their secondary dominated like that.

But I am happy they won but this just illustrates that Pitt can’t suffer any injuries to their secondary for the rest of the season and hopefully they can recruit some depth for next season.

Also excellent crowd turnout

SisadaPITT?

SeanMillerFan?

H2P 2003?

Did I miss anyone?

Win or lose, they’re always here to tell us how Pitt is a bad program and long for the thrilling days of Paul Chryst.

Come back and give us more of your wisdom!
I’m here. Phone died at the game. Good win, but still ugly. If they don’t win the coastal the year is still slightly disappointing

I’m wondering why so few discussed the over thrown passes ... ? Yeah their QB played well overall but he also had a seemingly large amount of over throws last night working to our advantage of course but.... noted. If Pickett had that many people here would have been screaming

I felt bad for number 7 but that also highlighted how little depth Pitt has in the secondary to have such a steep drop off after Hamlin went out.

Pitt had no business winning this game as Carolina has several potential deep passing plays for touchdowns either dropped by receivers or overthrown by their quarterback. Been a while since I have seen their secondary dominated like that.

But I am happy they won but this just illustrates that Pitt can’t suffer any injuries to their secondary for the rest of the season and hopefully they can recruit some depth for next season.

Pitt had no business winning this game. !
You genuinely believe that assertion?
Wow. Time to ignore.

I’m wondering why so few discussed the over thrown passes ... ? Yeah their QB played well overall but he also had a seemingly large amount of over throws last night working to our advantage of course but.... noted. If Pickett had that many people here would have been screaming
They got lucky for sure on a few plays...there were a couple of TD passes he missed on.

Pitt had no business winning this game. !
You genuinely believe that assertion?
Wow. Time to ignore.

Did you watch the game? Did you see all those Carolina receivers running free in the Pitt secondary after Hamlin went out? We are lucky Carolina’s quarterback missed them most of the time

I’m here. Phone died at the game. Good win, but still ugly. If they don’t win the coastal the year is still slightly disappointing
Yeah that makes little sense considering to most rational people UNC VT and BC are all games that EASILY could go either way now with only VT and BC left..

It’s not a given based on what I’ve seen from these last two thus far that Pitt should just walk through both AND VT beats UVA... and that HAS TO happen to win the coastal

Reactions: PittPanthers90

No business winning the game?

Complete nonsense

I am a Pitt fan but I am not going to pretend to see something that didn’t happen. Fortunately Hamlin will be back so this secondary won’t be shredded like it was last night
Yeah I saw the same thing and would never characterize the game as being one we had no business winning

Pickett threw for more yards had 3 scores and on defense we sacked them 5 times

I think we may have surpassed their rushing yards as well

It would have been a tragedy to lose that game

Pickett had a gr
Yeah I saw the same thing and would never characterize the game as being one we had no business winning

pickett had a great game. I’d say it was one we had no business losing honestly

SisadaPITT?

SeanMillerFan?

H2P 2003?

Did I miss anyone?

Win or lose, they’re always here to tell us how Pitt is a bad program and long for the thrilling days of Paul Chryst.

i just cant wait to read the posts how the va tech came is critical to Narduzzi's career and how he has to win it or he will be on hot seat. you know, like the posts that were made about this game..

I had zero issues with the offense, easily their best offensive game of the year. And I have no problem with the defense either, what happened was completely a result of Hamlin not being on the field

i just cant wait to read the posts how the va tech came is critical to Narduzzi's career and how he has to win it or he will be on hot seat. you know, like the posts that were made about this game..

The only way he would have been on
The hot seat was losing the last 3 games. 9-3 and 6-2 would be a good year.
I think the main question was if a 5-3 or 4-4 ACc season was acceptable.

Did you watch the game? Did you see all those Carolina receivers running free in the Pitt secondary after Hamlin went out? We are lucky Carolina’s quarterback missed them most of the time

Doesn't matter if they're free when the front 7 is chasing and blasting the QB into oblivion.

Those guys are open because Carolina's system is to run deep routes over and over. The QB wasn't getting them the ball every time because the DL was terrorizing him.

You're acting like these things happened in a vacuum. Passes were incomplete because of Pitt's defense.

Doesn't matter if they're free when the front 7 is chasing and blasting the QB into oblivion.

Those guys are open because Carolina's system is to run deep routes over and over. The QB wasn't getting them the ball every time because the DL was terrorizing him.

You're acting like these things happened in a vacuum. Passes were incomplete because of Pitt's defense.
i'll have to rewatch game but im not sure i agree with this. they were protecting him pretty well in first half especially. i don't recall some of these over throws being the result of defensive pressure, just bad throws.

but again, i could be wrong and will re-watch. nothing wrong with being on the lucky end of an over thrown ball to an open WR. Lord knows we've been on the other side our fair share..

Any Luck is better than no Luck. The Indianapolis Coits found that out?
The harder you work the luckier you get so the Panthers and Duzz must be working hard.

Reactions: Pittguy93
i'll have to rewatch game but im not sure i agree with this. they were protecting him pretty well in first half especially. i don't recall some of these over throws being the result of defensive pressure, just bad throws.

but again, i could be wrong and will re-watch. nothing wrong with being on the lucky end of an over thrown ball to an open WR. Lord knows we've been on the other side our fair share..

I was at the Georgia Tech game and was so upset with Pitt I vowed to not watch UNC. Took a night off and relaxed with my wife. So I only caught the condensed version this morning. I won't claim that my IQ of that game is at the level it normally is to me.

But watching the condensed game, Howell seemed like he was running for his life. I looked at the stats and he was sacked 5 times and hurried 4 times on 48 dropbacks (43 attempts + 5 sacks). So Howell was sacked or hurried on nearly 20% of his dropbacks. I don't know how accurate the "hurry" stat is. It may not even capture circumstances where Howell remained in the pocket but his feet or motion were disrupted. So it could be that Pitt affected Howell on even more than 20% of his dropbacks.

In any event, in my review of the film, there were UNC receivers open deep because they run a ton of deep concepts. But being open deep doesn't necessarily mean that everything deep should be a completion. Certainly not if you're not blocking it or the QB's play is affected by the line. At least 20% of Howell's attempts were, so those plays should be credited to Pitt and not just chalked up as "UNC didn't execute."

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
NO, win out and win a good bowl game, you got a 10 win season and ranked. Don’t need to play Clemson in a meaningless game!!!

SisadaPITT?
SeanMillerFan?
H2P 2003?

Did I miss anyone?

yeah, pittman71, who watched from the comfort of his couch, probably whining about attendance and disappointed about the win so he can't be miserable this morning.

Last edited:

Agreed, no business winning the game is just a real stupid statement!!!

Reactions: ThePanthers
SisadaPITT?

SeanMillerFan?

H2P 2003?

Did I miss anyone?

After 5-7 and 7-7 they have a chance to get to maybe 9 or 10 wins, so all the naysayers haven't always been wrong.

Pitt had no business winning this game
Actually they should of won in regulation, they missed a short FG and missed on a 4th and goal at the 4 or something like that, that's 2 times in the RZ, inside the 5 that they got no points.

Last edited:

Pitt had no business winning the game because the other team couldn't complete passes? That's pretty much the reason teams deserve to win games.

SisadaPITT?

SeanMillerFan?

H2P 2003?

Did I miss anyone?

I would never consider myself a naysayer. This staff has gotten some amazing production from players who were not highly touted. Heck, our best OL was a walk-on. We punch above our weight.

That said, there are three big issues with this team: (i) penalties and unforced errors, (ii) lack of red zone productivity, and (iii) turnovers. We are one of the most heavily penalized teams in FBS, and they hurt us. Not having Hamlin for the second half really hurt us. The delay of game (?!!!) followed by false start that caused a punt from our end zone hurt us. Two nullified interceptions hurt us.

As for the red zone, we got the ball inside the 10 twice and came away with zero points. We need to find a kicker who can consistently make a chip shot FG. We need to come up with plays that are productive with a short field. In fairness, the Pickett runs were sold well and worked.

Turnovers were not a factor last night, which is great. They are the primary reason we lost to Virginia and Miami, though, and they made several of our wins unnecessarily difficult.

Am I happy with seven wins? Absolutely. But we should have 8 and could even have 9 and be a top 15 team if we avoided the CORRECTABLE issues above.

I was at the Georgia Tech game and was so upset with Pitt I vowed to not watch UNC. Took a night off and relaxed with my wife. So I only caught the condensed version this morning. I won't claim that my IQ of that game is at the level it normally is to me.

But watching the condensed game, Howell seemed like he was running for his life. I looked at the stats and he was sacked 5 times and hurried 4 times on 48 dropbacks (43 attempts + 5 sacks). So Howell was sacked or hurried on nearly 20% of his dropbacks. I don't know how accurate the "hurry" stat is. It may not even capture circumstances where Howell remained in the pocket but his feet or motion were disrupted. So it could be that Pitt affected Howell on even more than 20% of his dropbacks.

In any event, in my review of the film, there were UNC receivers open deep because they run a ton of deep concepts. But being open deep doesn't necessarily mean that everything deep should be a completion. Certainly not if you're not blocking it or the QB's play is affected by the line. At least 20% of Howell's attempts were, so those plays should be credited to Pitt and not just chalked up as "UNC didn't execute."

This is a very good point. I do think Howell was affected by the pressure or at least the presence of Pitts DL. I think that affected his throws.

Pitt had no business winning the game because the other team couldn't complete passes? That's pretty much the reason teams deserve to win games.

Man I am happy Pitt won, watching the second half I didn’t think there was much of a chance of victory. I am not upset because I know the defense will be much better with Hamlin back there next week and god willing no injuries occur.

So going 9-3 and not winning the coastal is slightly disappointing to you?

Vegas had the over/under on total wins for this team between 6 & 6 1/2 at most places for a reason.

I'm sorry but 9-3 and even 8-4 is a success and a one heck of a jump into next season providing there are not any early entries to the NFL or any major changed to the staff.

So going 9-3 and not winning the coastal is slightly disappointing to you?

Vegas had the over/under on total wins for this team between 6 & 6 1/2 at most places for a reason.

I'm sorry but 9-3 and even 8-4 is a success and a one heck of a jump into next season providing there are not any early entries to the NFL or any major changed to the staff.

The schedule ended up being dog poop, especially the ACC schedule. PSU was a tough game and UCF is looking like an OK win at this point.

Losing to Miami was unacceptable. Going 9-3 would be decent, but again we are falling into the same trap we did with wanny...yeah, he went 9-3 but the schedule was crap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT