ADVERTISEMENT

I watched a Women's Basketball game

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Watched most of the 2nd Half of Iowa vs South Carolina. Undefeated vs the šŸ so had to do it. Some thoughts and questions.

- What's the point of them having a 3 point line in between the HS line and the men's line? Were women making the HS 3 pointer at too easy of a rate?

- Nobody shoots 3s. Is the line too far? Is it just Caitlin Clark who can hit 3s? Iowa literally wasnt guarding anyone outside of 17 feet. So weird watching a basketball game where 1 team doesn't even try to shoot a 3.

- No flopping. I didnt see one person even attempt to take a charge. Not sure if this is all the time or what. The men's game is mostly just guys shooting 3s and guys flopping when someone drives to the basket. Its atrocious basketball. Its refreshing to watch a game without flopping. I am curious why there is no flopping in the NBA. Are they just too rich to take charges?

- Caitlin Clark is one of the few players in the history of women's basketball that can make a casual fan turn the game on. She is that good. The announcer was saying the girl guarding her was the best defender in the nation and she drives by her and finishes with ease. She isnt just a shooter. She has Curry range. And drives it like LeBron

Watched most of the 2nd Half of Iowa vs South Carolina. Undefeated vs the šŸ so had to do it. Some thoughts and questions.

- What's the point of them having a 3 point line in between the HS line and the men's line? Were women making the HS 3 pointer at too easy of a rate?

- Nobody shoots 3s. Is the line too far? Is it just Caitlin Clark who can hit 3s? Iowa literally wasnt guarding anyone outside of 17 feet. So weird watching a basketball game where 1 team doesn't even try to shoot a 3.

- No flopping. I didnt see one person even attempt to take a charge. Not sure if this is all the time or what. The men's game is mostly just guys shooting 3s and guys flopping when someone drives to the basket. Its atrocious basketball. Its refreshing to watch a game without flopping. I am curious why there is no flopping in the NBA. Are they just too rich to take charges?

- Caitlin Clark is one of the few players in the history of women's basketball that can make a casual fan turn the game on. She is that good. The announcer was saying the girl guarding her was the best defender in the nation and she drives by her and finishes with ease. She isnt just a shooter. She has Curry range. And drives it like LeBron
I watched the entire game all because of Caitlin Clark. It was noted at the beginning of the game that not guarding the three was a first. Great coaching by Iowa since USC scores almost exclusively inside because they are so big.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Clark is must watch TV
I watched Diana Tiarasi in her prime - Clark is better

Tiarasi isCarmelo Anthony - Clark is Larry bird

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn

Are you suggesting pouring resources into non revenue sports?

Clark is must watch TV
I watched Diana Tiarasi in her prime - Clark is better

Tiarasi isCarmelo Anthony - Clark is Larry bird
No way. My money is on Dina. She was one of the best I ever saw. Only watched Clark once and she is impressive but to me Dina is better.

Tuned in for the Clark hype but treated to an LSU beat down. Well done... Reese throwing that shade too as it ended.

Reactions: cease10
Tuned in for the Clark hype but treated to an LSU beat down. Well done... Reese throwing that shade too as it ended.
Speaking of throwing shade... women in today's game aren't playing around. We have trash talk, we had a girl throw a punch in a handshake line about a week ago, and teams brawling in the SEC tourney. It's ultracompetitive.

I watched a ton more tournament this year because we were in it. Then I was having withdraw, so I stumbled across Iowa/Louisville.

I couldnā€™t turn it off.

Most of the time when there were womans players I heard of, nothing jumps out about them. Yeah, maybe they were bigger or better shooters and collected more points, but thatā€™s about it.

Clark is different. The vision, the pace, the range. The great thing about basketball is you can take the athleticism down a notch and have great play. Itā€™s why most of us can like college versus the NBA. The passion and the pace of the game makes up for it.

Iā€™m not saying I would ever like the womenā€™s game more - but the game still translates. And this player is special.

Honestly I felt like I was 11 years old again watching Lemieux for the first time.

Reese was a complete jerk. She got in that girl's face multiple times acting stupid. Then put up the L sign to call her a loser and then pointed to her ring finger. When asked about it she played the victim and the race card. The other girl was cocky the game before after going off for 41 but she was celebrating, not in another player's face. Like every player does when they hit a 3 nowadays. When asked about it she talked about how great LSU was and complimented her teammates. One had class, the other didnt and played the victim for acting classless. She made it racial for no reason.

Reese was a complete jerk. She got in that girl's face multiple times acting stupid. Then put up the L sign to call her a loser and then pointed to her ring finger. When asked about it she played the victim and the race card. The other girl was cocky the game before after going off for 41 but she was celebrating, not in another player's face. Like every player does when they hit a 3 nowadays. When asked about it she talked about how great LSU was and complimented her teammates. One had class, the other didnt and played the victim for acting classless. She made it racial for no reason.
Did you post after the Super Bowl about how AD was classless for pointing at his ring finger?

Think she was mostly fed up with all the adulation Clark (deserved she's great) received all tournament. Then LSU dispatched of them rather easily and she was just feeling herself and threw some shade. Clark will be back in it next year... She'll have another shot to win one.

I DVR'd it but found out the score so didnt watch. A couple things.

I like Caitlin Clark. She made me want to watch the 1st women's game I have watched in well over a decade. However, she definitely is cocky. You can see some of her gestures in those viral videos. Is that any different than men shooting arrows after 3s (which I think is so stupid BTW)? Not really. But she is cocky, not that there's anything wrong with that. What set off a lot of people is that her defense and hand gesture to the SC player as she refused guard her, waving at her like I'm not worried about you, went viral and was seen as disrespectful. While I agree with the defense (or no defense) she played on her, the hand gesture wasnt needed. Was it a big deal? No. But in all honesty, we have never really seen anything like that in basketball history.

And then of course there's the fact that many believe Clark is getting the hype and attention because she is white. And there is truth to that. She may be the šŸ. Like I said, I like her. But similar to Bobby Hurley, Jimmer Fredette, Adam Morrison, there is a lot of "all-time great" type hype reserved for players who werent anything super special. Its human nature and it is what it is.

Reactions: cease10 and 303vND
I noticed that too. The LSU guard, Morris, was alluding to Clark being a bit of a ____ when Holly Rowe did the interviews
Morris was running her mouth to the media all weekend before the game yesterday about being "disrespected" and other nonsense, and directly mentioning Clark. I was not the least bit impressed with her schtick or her teammates before, during or after that game. But--they were really good, and played great.

Maybe that's what Mulkey does to motivate her players--gets them all revved up about respect.

Last edited:

I like Caitlin Clark. She made me want to watch the 1st women's game I have watched in well over a decade. However, she definitely is cocky. You can see some of her gestures in those viral videos. Is that any different than men shooting arrows after 3s (which I think is so stupid BTW)? Not really. But she is cocky, not that there's anything wrong with that. What set off a lot of people is that her defense and hand gesture to the SC player as she refused guard her, waving at her like I'm not worried about you, went viral and was seen as disrespectful. While I agree with the defense (or no defense) she played on her, the hand gesture wasnt needed. Was it a big deal? No. But in all honesty, we have never really seen anything like that in basketball history.

And then of course there's the fact that many believe Clark is getting the hype and attention because she is white. And there is truth to that. She may be the šŸ. Like I said, I like her. But similar to Bobby Hurley, Jimmer Fredette, Adam Morrison, there is a lot of "all-time great" type hype reserved for players who werent anything super special. Its human nature and it is what it is.
Michael Jordan was cocky. Larry Bird was cocky. Magic was cocky. Curry is cocky. Lebron is cocky. Tiger Woods was cocky. Jack Nicklaus was cocky. Lance Armstong was cocky. Michael Phelps was cocky. Usain Bolt was cocky. And so on.....

That killer competitive mentality that manifests as "cocky" is a trait common to the athletes that are the very best at their sports.

Bobby Hurley, Jimmer Fredette, Adam Morrison

Each one of those players was an undeniably great college basketball player. Nobody ever called suggested that they were "all-time greats" at any time.

If you like watching Caitlin Clark and/or Diana Taurasi, then you need to see Paige Bueckers from UConn play. She was injured this entire season, but was AP & Naismith POY as a freshman last season. A more complete player than Clark, in my opinion.

Did he wave it in an opponent's face?
Nah. But I bet five minutes of googling will find plenty examples of him taunting other players. And AD has a rep as a dirty player. But I donā€™t see folks dragging him here.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Nah. But I bet five minutes of googling will find plenty examples of him taunting other players. And AD has a rep as a dirty player. But I donā€™t see folks dragging him here.
So the specific situation you asked about wasn't comparable.

Did you post after the Super Bowl about how AD was classless for pointing at his ring finger?
did not know AD put up the "L " sign to go from the personal celebratory ring gesture to a punk move..... I learn a lot here.

Did he wave it in an opponent's face?

Exactly - with AD it was more like ā€œthe final part to my legacy was completeā€

What Reese did was a bad look. Not because she is a woman, or black, or any of that. It was different because of the singular intent to chase down one player while the championship was being won.

Iā€™ve never seen that. Imagine a QB running after the other at the Super Bowl at the final gun. Or a walk off World Series winner were the guy chases the center fielder down after he crosses home.

Not sure Iā€™ve ever seen it in that spot. Thatā€™s what struck me.

Multiple LSU players used the term "disrespectful" to describe Iowa's defensive strategy against South Carolina. i don't know if I've ever seen a team not involved in a game call a perfectly legitimate and successful strategy "disrespectful"

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
If you like watching Caitlin Clark and/or Diana Taurasi, then you need to see Paige Bueckers from UConn play. She was injured this entire season, but was AP & Naismith POY as a freshman last season. A more complete player than Clark, in my opinion.
Agreed. Clark is very very entertaining and an excellent college player but I think Bueckers has the chance at least to go up there with the all time greats. Actually a great time for the WNBA with Ionescu, Della Done, A'ja, Griner, Stewart, the Ogwumike sisters and now these women presumably joining them soon.

Reactions: 20-20Hindsight
Was the officiating in this game as bad as Iā€™m reading?
At times, yes it was
IMO. At some points in
the game they called it
overly tight, and at other
times they let em play
and get physical. The in
in your face elbows I
thought were good calls.
I saw them as part of the
shot as opposed to an
intended elbow.

The technical on Clark was
ridiculous.

At times, yes it was
IMO. At some points in
the game they called it
overly tight, and at other
times they let em play
and get physical. The in
in your face elbows I
thought were good calls.
I saw them as part of the
shot as opposed to an
intended elbow.

The technical on Clark was
ridiculous.
I saw the replay of the T, and also the mocking of Clark at the end. Reminded me of our ND game where hinson got a T but Carmody acted like a clown and didnā€™t get one.

Also, the LSU coach is a clown and should have been tā€™ed

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I saw the replay of the T, and also the mocking of Clark at the end. Reminded me of our ND game where hinson got a T but Carmody acted like a clown and didnā€™t get one.

Also, the LSU coach is a clown and should have been tā€™ed
As I watched all of
that I thought the
refs should have issued
some strong warnings.
"Keep doing that stuff
and I'm Teeing you up."

The LSU coach needed
to hear it early and
often. Also her outfit
was IMO "clownish," but
hey that's her perogative.
The mocking of Clark, I
didn't like, but at the end
of the game they let it go.
Clark's T was ridiculous,
espercially in light of what
they DIDN'T call.

As I watched all of
that I thought the
refs should have issued
some strong warnings.
"Keep doing that stuff
and I'm Teeing you up."

The LSU coach needed
to hear it early and
often. Also her outfit
was IMO "clownish," but
The mocking of Clark, I
they DIDN'T call.
Apparently sheā€™s an awful person. Defended briles during the rape scandal and was a COVID denier.

Also, petty. Apparently she had a billboard put up in Waco about LSU making the FF. Grow up.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Without stating the obvious ...

First off, I agree with some other posters that trash talk is part of the game; regardless of whether it's women playing or men

Second, I didn't watch any of the Elite Eight or Semi-Final Women's games, but I did see the occasional highlight on ESPN. Caitlin Clark had a ton of attention in the press and on SportsCenter; I honestly didn't follow any of her gestures and/or sleights to South Carolina, the SEC, or LSU

Third, like her or not, Coach Mulkey is now a four-time NCAAT finals winner. She assembled practically an entire new team (9 new players this year), and inherited a program that won just 9 games a couple of years ago. The players she brought to LSU commented that they were into trash-talking among themselves during the summer practices, so I'm not surprised (now) that those taunts came out during the game, yesterday

Fourth, as some of you may know (on the Football Board, at least) I am an LSU dad, as my daughter got her undergraduate degree (music performance) in Baton Rouge a couple of decades ago. I saw many games at Tiger Stadium (Nick Saban was their coach, then), but none oddly at the Maravich Center/Arena

Certainly LSU has been more recognized/celebrated for football than basketball, despite having a basketball program with many notable players. That this was the school's first National Basketball Championship is quite a testimony to the coach and players - notwithstanding they also scored the most points by a team (men or women) in half (59) as well as a game (102)

Geaux Tigers!

They literally showed Clark doing the same exact waving hand over face yesterday's game on NBA Today a few minutes ago. Like... Same exact thing.

Reactions: 303vND
As I watched all of
that I thought the
refs should have issued
some strong warnings.
"Keep doing that stuff
and I'm Teeing you up."

The LSU coach needed
to hear it early and
often. Also her outfit
was IMO "clownish," but
The mocking of Clark, I
they DIDN'T call.
It was extremely poorly officiated for a lot of the reasons you stated. I have only watched 2 women's games this year. Friday night and Sunday so I cannot speak to if this was normal officiating or not. (Tried to watch some Pitt games the last few years but their games were unwatchable to me). I still cannot believe they let Mulkey get away with what she was doing. Literally screaming within a few feet of officials on almost every call that went against her and one time bumping one. Also, why do they even bother having a coaches box. She was all the way out to half court all the time. I know coaches take liberties with the coaching box but usually they do it to shout out instructions then get back towards their bench but she just stood there the entire time. These refs seemed to be totally intimidated by her. Haven't seen that since Bobby Knight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT