ADVERTISEMENT

If Pitt beats Clemson, we get a rematch

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Just for fun, lets say Pitt beats Clemson and ND loses 1. Clemson still could make the CFP but lets say they don't. The 4 teams for the Peach and Fiesta would be Pitt, Clemson, UCF, and ND so we would get a rematch with someone. Probably Pitt vs UCF in the Fiesta with ND/Clemson in the Peach. That would be funny, that's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt79
I for one would like to see the Hoopies get a shot a Pedo U, and us play Wisconsin. I want the fighting Brats.

Reactions: JSSTartan
Just for fun, lets say Pitt beats Clemson and ND loses 1. Clemson still could make the CFP but lets say they don't. The 4 teams for the Peach and Fiesta would be Pitt, Clemson, UCF, and ND so we would get a rematch with someone. Probably Pitt vs UCF in the Fiesta with ND/Clemson in the Peach. That would be funny, that's all.

A one loss Clemson team would need a helluva amount of help to make the playoff, almost certainly not happening.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
A one loss Clemson team would need a helluva amount of help to make the playoff, almost certainly not happening.

Clemson made the playoffs the last two seasons with one loss. Georgia most likely will lose to Bama and won't get in with 2 losses. I can see the Big XII and PAC 12 getting shut out of the playoff again in favor of a 1 loss Clemson team. The Michigan-Ohio State winner will get the number 4 position unless somehow Northwestern upsets one of them in the Big Ten championship. Then the Big Ten would get shut out of the playoff as well.

I for one would like to see the Hoopies get a shot a Pedo U, and us play Wisconsin. I want the fighting Brats.

Wisconsin is a pretty terrible team this year. They haven't been able to throw the ball all season. The oline hasn't been dominating with 5 NFL players on it. Taylor is their offense but he can't catch a football and fumbles a lot.

I would be surprised to see Purdue beat them this week.

Clemson made the playoffs the last two seasons with one loss. Georgia most likely will lose to Bama and won't get in with 2 losses. I can see the Big XII and PAC 12 getting shut out of the playoff again in favor of a 1 loss Clemson team. The Michigan-Ohio State winner will get the number 4 position unless somehow Northwestern upsets one of them in the Big Ten championship. Then the Big Ten would get shut out of the playoff as well.

I would look at clemson's schedule and see they have beaten nobody.

The big XII champ will have a better resume.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Clemson made the playoffs the last two seasons with one loss not with an acc as down as it is this year...Clemson could finish the year and not have played anyone ranked at that time..

This is what's wrong with CFB, you can LOSE a championship game and be selected for a championship game, does that happen in any other sport?

Your a big Stiller fan, and yet you don't remember the Stillers winning a Super Bowl in a year that they didn't win the championship of their division?

Reactions: BigBird80

debatable. Basically it will come down to does the committee think the OU/WVU winner is better than Clemson. I don't think they will. It's possible though.

Clemson made the playoffs the last two seasons with one loss not with an acc as down as it is this year...Clemson could finish the year and not have played anyone ranked at that time..

Boston College was ranked when they played Clemson just last week.

debatable. Basically it will come down to does the committee think the OU/WVU winner is better than Clemson. I don't think they will. It's possible though.

I can tell you in that scenario the OU/WVU winner would be a pretty big favorite to make it over Clemson, but like you said you never know.

I can tell you in that scenario the OU/WVU winner would be a pretty big favorite to make it over Clemson, but like you said you never know.

Yeah, but what everyone seems to be forgetting is that there is a really good chance that the winner of the OU/WVU game in two weeks is going to have to beat the same team again eight days later. It would be very much like the Big 12 for those two teams to split those two games, in which case they would both be out.

Reactions: FireballZ
Yeah, but what everyone seems to be forgetting is that there is a really good chance that the winner of the OU/WVU game in two weeks is going to have to beat the same team again eight days later. It would be very much like the Big 12 for those two teams to split those two games, in which case they would both be out.

Would not be a surprise at all.

Will also add that a one loss Georgia team fresh off a win over Alabama would almost certainly get in ahead of a one loss OU/WVU/Clemson.

They are going to split. WVU wins in Morgantown. OU wins the following week in Arlington

Your a big Stiller fan, and yet you don't remember the Stillers winning a Super Bowl in a year that they didn't win the championship of their division?
Right, BUT EVERY DIVISION CHAMP also made that tournament. So OK, I'd be fine with a few wild cards getting in ALONG WITH EVERY CONFERENCE CHAMP, even if that champ isn't among the subjectively anointed "best teams".

Clemson was on the ropes against an opponent early this year right after their original starter announced his transfer. The freshman stud qb got hurt early and it was up to the 3rd stringer and the defense. They pulled it out. Unless Clemson overlooks these next two opponents they’re not losing because if they play Pitt they’re sure as hell not looking ahead of them again.

If Pitt upsets Clemson, it is amusing the teams that could be available matchups for Pitt. UCF, PSU, WVU, Notre Dame, Cuse and Clemson. There is no way the bowls want a rematch with UCF, PSU, Clemson, Cuse or Notre Dame. WVU would be a possibility. More than likely they would match Pitt with someone like Oklahoma or Georgia, and that would be an excellent pairing for Pitt.

Last edited:
If Pitt upsets Clemson, it is amusing the teams that could be available matchups for Pitt. UCF, PSU, WVU, Notre Dame. There is no way the bowls want a rematch with UCF, PSU or Notre Dame. WVU would be a possibility. More than likely they would match Pitt with someone like Oklahoma or Georgia, and that would be an excellent pairing for Pitt.

If Pitt upsets Clemson, does it guarantee Pitt a NY6 or does the convoluted world of college football relegate Pitt to a garbage bowl game?

I am pretty sure that the ACC Champ is guaranteed.

I stopped being lazy...from Wiki...

The College Football Playoff (CFP) New Year's Six (NY6) bowls are the top six major NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision bowl games: the Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl. The New Year's Six represent six of the ten oldest bowl games currently played at the FBS level. These 6 top-tier bowl games rotate the hosting of the two semifinal games, which determine the teams that play in the final College Football Playoff National Championship game.[1] The rotation is set on a three-year cycle with the following pairings: Rose/Sugar, Orange/Cotton, and Fiesta/Peach.

The selection committee seeds and pairs the top four teams, and along with their final CFP rankings determine the participants for the other four non-playoff New Year's Six bowls that are not hosting the semifinals that year. These four non-playoff bowls are also referred to as the Selection Committee bowl games. These six games focus on the top 12 teams in the rankings, with only five teams ranked lower than 12th (all five were still ranked in the top 20) having ever played in the New Year's Six since the
College Football Playoff system was inaugurated.

If I'm reading that right, Pitt would screw up their own bowl slot with a win because there is no way they are jumping to the front of the ACC line.

I stopped being lazy...from Wiki...

The College Football Playoff (CFP) New Year's Six (NY6) bowls are the top six major NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision bowl games: the Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl. The New Year's Six represent six of the ten oldest bowl games currently played at the FBS level. These 6 top-tier bowl games rotate the hosting of the two semifinal games, which determine the teams that play in the final College Football Playoff National Championship game.[1] The rotation is set on a three-year cycle with the following pairings: Rose/Sugar, Orange/Cotton, and Fiesta/Peach.

The selection committee seeds and pairs the top four teams, and along with their final CFP rankings determine the participants for the other four non-playoff New Year's Six bowls that are not hosting the semifinals that year. These four non-playoff bowls are also referred to as the Selection Committee bowl games. These six games focus on the top 12 teams in the rankings, with only five teams ranked lower than 12th (all five were still ranked in the top 20) having ever played in the New Year's Six since the
College Football Playoff system was inaugurated.

If I'm reading that right, Pitt would screw up their own bowl slot with a win because there is no way they are jumping to the front of the ACC line.

I don't that that is correct. I believe that the ACC Champion automatically gets a New Years 6 bowl game.

I get it. We have been conditioned to expect Pitt to be screwed over, but it's almost always Pitt screwing itself. Fortunately for Pitt, a victory against Clemson and they can't screw it up.

This appears to be official
https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2016/10/24/selection-committee-protocol.aspx

1. Pairings for Selected Other Bowl Games.
    1. All displaced conference champions and the highest-ranked champion from a non-contract conference, as ranked by the committee, will participate in selected other bowl games and will be assigned to those games by the committee. If berths in the selected other bowl games remain available after those teams have been identified, the highest-ranked other teams, as ranked by the committee, will fill those berths in rank order.

(Note: A "displaced conference champion" is a champion of a contract conference that does not qualify for the playoff in a year when its contract bowl hosts a semifinal game.)
    2. The committee shall create the best matchups in these bowl games in light of the following considerations. None of these considerations shall affect the ranking of teams. Also, none of these considerations will be controlling in determining the assignment of teams to available bowl games.
      • The committee will use geography as a consideration in the pairing of teams and assigning them to available bowl games.
      • The committee will attempt to avoid regular-season rematches when assigning teams to bowls.
      • To benefit fans and student-athletes, the committee will attempt to avoid assigning a team, or conference, or the highest-ranked champion of a non-contract conference, to the same bowl game repeatedly.
      • The committee will consider regular-season head-to-head results when assigning teams to bowls.
      • The committee will consider conference championships when assigning teams to bowls.
    3. When not hosting semifinals, the Orange, Rose and Sugar bowls (the "contract bowls") will make their own pairings outside the CFP arrangement. Generally, they will take the champion of their contracted conference; if that champion qualifies for the playoff, the bowl will then choose a replacement from that conference.

Orange Bowl: ACC vs. SEC, Big Ten or Notre Dame*
      Rose Bowl: Big Ten vs. Pac-12
      Sugar Bowl: SEC vs. Big 12

*In non-semifinal years, the following will inform the Orange Bowl's selection of the opponent for the ACC Champion or next highest ranked ACC team not in the playoff:
      • After the Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl have chosen, the highest ranked available non-playoff, non-champion of the SEC or Big Ten or Notre Dame.
      • Over the eight years, a minimum of three SEC and three Big Ten appearances must occur, and a maximum of two Notre Dame appearances can occur.

Well, that's why I qualified it by saying it's from Wiki. Maybe it's worth asking in a new thread. But something tells me that they left the back door open for just this kind of scenario.
What scenario? Screwing a DESERVING CHAMPION? It shouldn't matter how "best team" you are if you actually win a championship ON THE FIELD, based on winning the league games presented to you! There has to be a SERIOUSLY BIG REWARD for winning a P5 conference, even if you're 8-6 or 9-5.

Peach Bowl doesn't have the same historical ring to it even though it'd obviously be a big accomplishment for Pitt to win the ACC and get a NY6 bowl. It's just a bowl my memory still thinks of from my childhood as being like unranked NC State playing unranked Iowa in, hardly the Rose or Sugar.

Obviously it's been upgraded in the CFP era.

Peach Bowl doesn't have the same historical ring to it even though it'd obviously be a big accomplishment for Pitt to win the ACC and get a NY6 bowl. It's just a bowl my memory still thinks of from my childhood as being like unranked NC State playing unranked Iowa in, hardly the Rose or Sugar.

Obviously it's been upgraded in the CFP era.
Peach Bowl was always at least 2nd tier after NYD bowls historically, I think.

This is what's wrong with CFB, you can LOSE a championship game and be selected for a championship game, does that happen in any other sport?
Hence why so many are against ND making the playoffs. Everyone else is forced to play the best from their conference, but ND is able to sit idly by hoping for someone to lose.

The main thing about the plus one playoff system in my view was making sure we didn't end up with a year that the best team in the country couldn't play in the national title game, like the years there was an AP/Coaches/BCS type split in who is #1. Under this system, it would be rare that someone ranked #5 by the committee would be deserving of being crowned national champs. If you end up at #5 or below, there is probably a good reason you're not considered #1 at least, even if you feel like you have a good argument for #4.

making sure we didn't end up with a year that the best team in the country couldn't play in the national title game,

There should be years when the subjectively deemed "best team" doesn't play in the NC Game! In other sports it's called upsets, and deciding it on the field.

I could use the example of the 18-1 Patriots, but everyone knows that one, everyone also knows about 1984 Villanova, in my daughter's high school soccer playoffs this year, the #1 seed was 18-0, scoring 6 GPG, and then was upset in the semi-final by a #7 seed 2-0. They where by far "best team", is that sad that they didn't make the final? HELL NO! (Is hell ok?) That's not sad at all, those are THE GREATEST MOMENTS IN SPORTS, when David rises up and swats Goliath! It amazes me how many of you don't enjoy when that happens.

Last edited:
What scenario? Screwing a DESERVING CHAMPION? It shouldn't matter how "best team" you are if you actually win a championship ON THE FIELD, based on winning the league games presented to you! There has to be a SERIOUSLY BIG REWARD for winning a P5 conference, even if you're 8-6 or 9-5.

You should write a letter if it bugs you but you certainly shouldn't be surprised. TV wants the sexy games.

You should write a letter if it bugs you but you certainly shouldn't be surprised. TV wants the sexy games.
That's why it's not a real sport, with real results, if the NFL gets a Detroit/Tennessee Super Bowl they are stuck with it, same with a Milwaukee/Tampa Bay World Series, or a Calgary/Florida Stanley Cup or a Toronto/Denver NBA Finals, if the non-sexy teams win the actual games on the field in a real sport that's what you are stuck with, in WWE Wrestling you rig the outcome for a sexy WrestleMania, sorta like the CFB Playoff.

If - IF - Pitt were to beat Clemson, how could they possibly justify putting them in the playoff ahead of an undefeated UCF that destroyed Pitt? Not saying that UCF would get in, just that Clemson wouldn't. If anything it would weigh in favor of a Big12 or another SEC team.

If - IF - Pitt were to beat Clemson, how could they possibly justify putting them in the playoff ahead of an undefeated UCF that destroyed Pitt? Not saying that UCF would get in, just that Clemson wouldn't. If anything it would weigh in favor of a Big12 or another SEC team.
No, as it is now, you can't. I'm saying that there should be automatic bids for the P5 Champs at least, and a couple wild cards for the "best team" LOSERS of conference championship games that everyone seems to feel sorry for. You'd need at least 8 teams in the playoffs to do that.

Right, BUT EVERY DIVISION CHAMP also made that tournament. So OK, I'd be fine with a few wild cards getting in ALONG WITH EVERY CONFERENCE CHAMP, even if that champ isn't among the subjectively anointed "best teams".
BUT - the NFL Conf Champs win their division the same way Clemson would win theirs...by losing a tournament game, doesn't mean you're still not the division champ

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT