ADVERTISEMENT

If Pitt beats Clemson, we get a rematch

There should be years when the subjectively deemed "best team" doesn't play in the NC Game! In other sports it's called upsets, and deciding it on the field.

I could use the example of the 18-1 Patriots, but everyone knows that one, everyone also knows about 1984 Villanova, in my daughter's high school soccer playoffs this year, the #1 seed was 18-0, scoring 6 GPG, and then was upset in the semi-final by a #7 seed 2-0. They where by far "best team", is that sad that they didn't make the final? HELL NO! (Is hell ok?) That's not sad at all, those are THE GREATEST MOMENTS IN SPORTS, when David rises up and swats Goliath! It amazes me how many of you don't enjoy when that happens.

in other sports its called the playoffs.....care to provide examples of the best record or perceived best teams not making them?

in other sports its called the playoffs.....care to provide examples of the best record or perceived best teams not making them?
2008, Patriots (11-5) and Jets (9-7) missed the playoffs, but had better records than the Chargers, who won the AFC West at 8-8.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/

I'm sure if you dig, there are many more examples, especially when baseball had only 2 teams in the playoffs, I'm sure plenty of years there where times when the 3 best teams where in the American League or something. Many times I've seen teams with losing records make the NBA of NHL playoffs out of one conference while teams with winning records are left out in the other, so what? that's sports.

Just for fun, lets say Pitt beats Clemson and ND loses 1. Clemson still could make the CFP but lets say they don't. The 4 teams for the Peach and Fiesta would be Pitt, Clemson, UCF, and ND so we would get a rematch with someone. Probably Pitt vs UCF in the Fiesta with ND/Clemson in the Peach. That would be funny, that's all.
How about we let's just get past WF first before we even bringing up Clemson.

If - IF - Pitt were to beat Clemson, how could they possibly justify putting them in the playoff ahead of an undefeated UCF that destroyed Pitt? Not saying that UCF would get in, just that Clemson wouldn't. If anything it would weigh in favor of a Big12 or another SEC team.

Should be 8 teams

5 auto bids for conference champs and 3 wildcards

Should be 8 teams

Myself I'd want either one of two things...

A) Auto bids for the 5 PF Champs and Auto bid for the best G5 team, plus 2 wild cards, or...

B) 5 auto bids for conference champs and 3 wildcards, and eliminate the G5 Teams from D1 altogether if it's impossible for them to ever get a bid.

2008, Patriots (11-5) and Jets (9-7) missed the playoffs, but had better records than the Chargers, who won the AFC West at 8-8.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/

I'm sure if you dig, there are many more examples, especially when baseball had only 2 teams in the playoffs, I'm sure plenty of years there where times when the 3 best teams where in the American League or something. Many times I've seen teams with losing records make the NBA of NHL playoffs out of one conference while teams with winning records are left out in the other, so what? that's sports.
2008, Patriots (11-5) and Jets (9-7)...both behind the 11-5 Dolphins...

Should be 8 teams

great, now I'll start the number 9 team whine fest... but in any case there should be 6 teams. 5 power five champs and one wildcard...two byes go to the top two seeds such that there is actually some additional incentives for the early lock teams not to tank...

Last edited:
great, now I'll start the number 9 team whine fest... but in any case there should be 6 teams. 5 power five champs and one wildcard...two byes go to the top two seeds such that there is actually some additional incentives for the early lock teams not to tank...
No you wouldn't need to, at this point everything is set straight, ANYBODY can get in now simply by winning certain games, so the injustice is gone, and really it's not the #9 team, it's the #4 LOSER, so at this point, you can say tough crap, you could of won that game and not rely on the beauty contest for a wild card, so screw you. 8 teams is the minimum to set things straight. And one has to be best G5 team, WHO CARES about the "VERY BEST LOSERS'' left out in favor of someone like Pitt who pulled an upset, it's THEIR FAULT they didn't get in, WIN THE GAMES ON THE FIELD and you're in.

No you wouldn't need to, at this point everything is set straight, ANYBODY can get in now simply by winning certain games, so the injustice is gone, and really it's not the #9 team, it's the #4 LOSER, so at this point, you can say tough crap, you could of won that game and not rely on the beauty contest for a wild card, so screw you. 8 teams is the minimum to set things straight. And one has to be best G5 team, WHO CARES about the "VERY BEST LOSERS'' left out in favor of someone like Pitt who pulled an upset, it's THEIR FAULT they didn't get in, WIN THE GAMES ON THE FIELD and you're in.

If conference games were basically the only ones that mattered, why would we even have non conference games then? How much would rivalry games and bowls become irrelevant if everything just became a win the conference model? Would regular seasons upset even be fun anymore if they couldn't ruin a top team's season? They can just make it up in the expanded playoffs.

Also, how do you decide who the "best G5" team is? Sounds like it'd be another "beauty contest" as you put it unless first you'd have a whole other tournament of G5 teams.

If conference games were basically the only ones that mattered, why would we even have non conference games then? How much would rivalry games and bowls become irrelevant if everything just became a win the conference model? Would regular seasons upset even be fun anymore if they couldn't ruin a top team's season? They can just make it up in the expanded playoffs.

Also, how do you decide who the "best G5" team is? Sounds like it'd be another "beauty contest" as you put it unless first you'd have a whole other tournament of G5 teams.

1) You'd have non-conference games to make money, TV content, sell tickets to entertain fans and for students and alumni to have fun getting hammered it the tailgate, it doesn't have to mean anything beyond that. But you'd still need a "resume" to vie for the wild card spots, and I'd mandate 12 games to make sure we all have fun and they don't stop playing out of conference to stay healthy for the league.

2) TO ME, rivalry games and bowls and upsets would be the same as now, why wouldn't they? Every game TO ME is a stand alone entertainment event, that I enjoy without thinking what else might be on the line, and that's how most people are. If Pitt beat Bama and Bama still could get in by winning their conference title, that doesn't dimin9ish the upset at all. Do you go to a tailgate party? Let's say they are 15 people in your group, how many are thinking of it being more than just an afternoon and evening of having fun, only some diehards like you "CARE" about implications or meaning.

3) The G5 Spot, unfortunately would be subjective. But I just add them in so that they at least have a guaranteed path and if they don't deserve that, they should have their own tournament. Or else go to 16 teams and give all of their champs a bid. And if they don't deserve that, then they should not be considered SAME LEVEL as the P5 and be put out, or else take their 12 best teams and make it a sixth power conference or something like that. or have play in games for the G5 to join the 8 P5's, make them play an extra week.

The way it is now, bores the hell out of me, VOTING and how it's almost impossible for new teams to rise up and get in. Even P5 teams, like Pitt for example, could go 12-0 and they'd be discriminated against based on perception and history. Many of you don't agree, but I just want there to be a PATH for everyone, but it does AMAZE ME to no end, how people don't even think winning a P5 Championship makes you deserving.

1) You'd have non-conference games to make money, TV content, sell tickets to entertain fans and for students and alumni to have fun getting hammered it the tailgate, it doesn't have to mean anything beyond that. But you'd still need a "resume" to vie for the wild card spots, and I'd mandate 12 games to make sure we all have fun and they don't stop playing out of conference to stay healthy for the league.

2) TO ME, rivalry games and bowls and upsets would be the same as now, why wouldn't they? Every game TO ME is a stand alone entertainment event, that I enjoy without thinking what else might be on the line, and that's how most people are. If Pitt beat Bama and Bama still could get in by winning their conference title, that doesn't dimin9ish the upset at all. Do you go to a tailgate party? Let's say they are 15 people in your group, how many are thinking of it being more than just an afternoon and evening of having fun, only some diehards like you "CARE" about implications or meaning.

3) The G5 Spot, unfortunately would be subjective. But I just add them in so that they at least have a guaranteed path and if they don't deserve that, they should have their own tournament. Or else go to 16 teams and give all of their champs a bid. And if they don't deserve that, then they should not be considered SAME LEVEL as the P5 and be put out, or else take their 12 best teams and make it a sixth power conference or something like that. or have play in games for the G5 to join the 8 P5's, make them play an extra week.

The way it is now, bores the hell out of me, VOTING and how it's almost impossible for new teams to rise up and get in. Even P5 teams, like Pitt for example, could go 12-0 and they'd be discriminated against based on perception and history. Many of you don't agree, but I just want there to be a PATH for everyone, but it does AMAZE ME to no end, how people don't even think winning a P5 Championship makes you deserving.

There isn't anything critically wrong with your argument. A true playoff would be the best thing. It's amazing that a true playoff is the greatest thing since sliced bread for basketball but completely shunned for football. As if any of the fake arguments could ever outweigh the return of that system. But that's not what it is right now. It's much better than anything we've had until now so I guess you can say, there's hope.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT