ADVERTISEMENT

If you say Pitting you’re a jagoff

uh, he missed the Granddaddy of All Pitt'ings....the Armed Forces bowl against Houston a few years ago. .A Pitt'ing that all other Pitt'ings are compared to..classic! I mean you look up Pitt'ing in the dictionary and there es a picture of the boxscore for that one...

a game played with a coaching staff with one leg out the door and no head coach? A game that meant absolutely nothing (no ranking if a win). A game played in a cold rain against a non-power 5 team also without a head coach? If that is your gold standard I don't know what to say.

well the negative connotation of "pitting" is grasping defeat from the hands of victory. that would have been exactly what happened with the duke game, IF we don't win.

i think it is time to put that word to bed though. we have not one but two late, come from behind victories. Pickett led the team down field late in 4th quarter where he had to score a TD to win. that's huge.

this is no longer a wanny or chryst pitt team where come backs are non existent. "pitting" was relevant under those coaches, not under Narduzzi.

a game played with a coaching staff with one leg out the door and no head coach? A game that meant absolutely nothing (no ranking if a win). A game played in a cold rain against a non-power 5 team also without a head coach? If that is your gold standard I don't know what to say.
to answer your questions in the order presented....

Yes, and a game in which had a Pitt 34-13 lead with six minutes remaining in a game.
Yes, and a game in which had a Pitt 34-13 lead with six minutes remaining in a game.
Yes, my gold standard for Pitt'ing (ie defined as Pitt blowing games in bizarre ways via the ultimate grasping of defeat from the jaws of sure victory) is a game in which had a Pitt 34-13 lead with six minutes remaining in a game.

A game that meant absolutely nothing (no ranking if a win). ... Not sure why this would be in conjunction with Pitt'ing.

Dude, you are taking this way too seriously...lighten up. If you can honestly tell me that you did not think midway through the third with Pitt in control by an immense margin that you did not have reservations about the outcome I will call for a polygraph...

Last edited:
well the negative connotation of "pitting" is grasping defeat from the hands of victory. that would have been exactly what happened with the duke game, IF we don't win.

i think it is time to put that word to bed though. we have not one but two late, come from behind victories. Pickett led the team down field late in 4th quarter where he had to score a TD to win. that's huge.

this is no longer a wanny or chryst pitt team where come backs are non existent. "pitting" was relevant under those coaches, not under Narduzzi.
How bout They Just Pitt the Bed...Catchy, eh?

to answer your questions in the order presented....

Yes, my gold standard for Pitt'ing (ie defined as Pitt blowing games in bizarre ways via the ultimate grasping of defeat from the jaws of sure victory) is a game in which had a Pitt 34-13 lead with six minutes remaining in a game.

A game that meant absolutely nothing (no ranking if a win). ... Not sure why this would be in conjunction with Pitt'ing.

Dude, you are taking this way too seriously...lighten up. If you can honestly tell me that you did not think midway through the third with Pitt in control by an immense margin that you did not have reservations about the outcome I will call for a polygraph...

great, maybe you and six other people cared about the outcome of that game. Actually I was skiing....beautiful day and made for an extended break having Jan 2nd on a Friday. I remember being shocked though when checking the final score after seeing the big lead. Can't say it ruined my day however.

great, maybe you and six other people cared about the outcome of that game. Actually I was skiing....beautiful day and made for an extended break having Jan 2nd on a Friday. I remember being shocked though when checking the final score after seeing the big lead. Can't say it ruined my day however.
i agree. i take pitt football WAY too serious, i mean i let it effect my mood and i remember not caring in the least with that game. HOnestly, i remember actually kind of laughing when they kept recovering onside kicks.. and this is from someone who takes this crap way too serious..

bowl games are a joke man, they really are. if this happened in a regular season game, i'd still be drinking..

great...odd thought that someone who would not take three hours to watch the final game of some kids on Pitt's football team would seem so taken aback about some folks making light of a simple little joke like the term Pitt'ing..

i agree. i take pitt football WAY too serious, i mean i let it effect my mood and i remember not caring in the least with that game. HOnestly, i remember actually kind of laughing when they kept recovering onside kicks.. and this is from someone who takes this crap way too serious..

bowl games are a joke man, they really are. if this happened in a regular season game, i'd still be drinking..

I posted in another thread.....some bowls do matter. 2008 Sun bowl would have meant a top 25 finish, same with 2016 Pinstripe. Those ones I was very upset at losing. But of all the bowl games, the Armed Forces bowl ranks somewhere around the Compass bowl loss to SMU when Graham left in terms of total insignificance.

Reactions: Rayz5089
great...odd thought that someone who would not take three hours to watch the final game of some kids on Pitt's football team would seem so taken aback about some folks making light of a simple little joke like the term Pitt'ing..

not sure what makes the better fan....someone who watches/attends two meaningless bowl games like the the Compass/Armed Forces or someone who takes umbrage to jokes made at the teams expense. I know how I would vote....maybe Pitt79 could decide for us :D

I posted in another thread.....some bowls do matter. 2008 Sun bowl would have meant a top 25 finish, same with 2016 Pinstripe. Those ones I was very upset at losing. But of all the bowl games, the Armed Forces bowl ranks somewhere around the Compass bowl loss to SMU when Graham left in terms of total insignificance.
yeah, we had an interim head coach for this game i believe, adding to the idea this game didn't mean much..

i watch bowl games, i root for pitt but i think they are kind of insignificant. a lot of the older guys don't play in it, younger guys get more reps than normal and i think just getting younger guys in an actual game is more important than winning it.. that one a few years ago, nate and JC left due to injuries which had it been a real game, i believe they stay in and play. but no reason for an older guy (or any player) to risk further injury.

but they are entertaining for sure. a great chance to see some of the freshmen playing and giving a possible idea of what the future holds for us..

not sure what makes the better fan....someone who watches/attends two meaningless bowl games like the the Compass/Armed Forces or someone who takes umbrage to jokes made at the teams expense. I know how I would vote....maybe Pitt79 could decide for us :D
teams expense? ah, so joke umbrage vs game attendance is the cause of 30,000 empty seats at Heinz every game...Seems to me these kids would take less "umbrage" at folks making silly Pitt'ing references than the ":umbrage" of people not coming to watch them...

teams expense? ah, so joke umbrage vs game attendance is the cause of 30,000 empty seats at Heinz every game...Seems to me these kids would take less "umbrage" at folks making silly Pitt'ing references than the ":umbrage" of people not coming to watch them...

Tell you what, why don't you tell Paris Ford or Kylan Johnson to their face they pitted, instead of hiding behind a keyboard. Then we'll see which one they mind more.

i think it is time to put that word to bed though.

And just like that, the ghost of Pitting will rear its ugly head, as early as next Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT