ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the ACC and fight for Revenue

I say FSU, Clemson and the other can go pound sand. We all know they are going leave when given the chance. Blank You! Your stuck for at least 10 years…..what incentive is there for the rest of us you make your whiny bitch asses happy….

Reactions: sdnp
I have always been in favorite of unequal distribution. For example, it is insane that NW and RU get paid out as much as OSU. However, FSU, Clem, UNC, etc are leaving around 2036 anyway, so what's even the point? And I mean it when I say, until they can start paying players, an extra $30 million per year doesn't equal any more wins.

I have always been in favorite of unequal distribution. For example, it is insane that NW and RU get paid out as much as OSU. However, FSU, Clem, UNC, etc are leaving around 2036 anyway, so what's even the point? And I mean it when I say, until they can start paying players, an extra $30 million per year doesn't equal any more wins.
Or that schools in places like Starkville, MS have all that revenue, security and not a worry in the world when it comes to college football musical chairs.

Will Clemson be sought-after if they fall back to good but not great? I mean, they aren’t even the most popular team in their state…

Reactions: pittmeister
I guess they could do something like 4 yr rolling tv ratings and adjust the revenue. I don’t like Phillips but only so much can be done. And it’s not like FSU hasn’t gotten anything. They wanted Louisville over UConn, wanted to stay at 8 games and wanted no divisions or at least out of the one they were in.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Zero conflict of interest with ESPN writing about this, LOL.

ESPN could broker a deal to move both of them whenever they want so take that for whatever it's worth. As far as the ACC is concerned, ask the Big12 schools if it was worth kissing Texas' ass.
Right on. These schools happily signed the deal that’s in place now. If unhappy now, their current leadership should call the school ADs and president that recommended it, and the trustees who approved it at the time, onto the carpet. Until then, the ink is dry and indelible until 2035 or whatever. Why should Pitt and other members cater to jerkass members who openly say they’d leave in a second and campaign for it literally every day? Yeah, a hardass approach leaves hard feelings, but IMO FSU already hauled that cow out of the barn long ago; the damage is already done.

Reactions: pittdan77
Interesting that "outsiders" see Pitt as in the "first group."
Pitt gives you one of the last few available good opportunities to get back into the northeast in football and basketball. UConn and Villanova joining the B12 in basketball, for example, doesn’t give you football, obviously.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I guess they could do something like 4 yr rolling tv ratings and adjust the revenue. I don’t like Phillips but only so much can be done. And it’s not like FSU hasn’t gotten anything. They wanted Louisville over UConn, wanted to stay at 8 games and wanted no divisions or at least out of the one they were in.
They wanted no divisions, because they couldn’t compete with Clemson for the division title. Now they want to go to a stronger, more competitive conference so they can finish in the bottom half every year. I guess it’s not about winning, it’s about the money which shouldn’t make their fans very happy.

BTW: If we’re using PSU as an example of Pitt not in the Big Ten, then the question needs to be asked…Has anyone asked Florida if they want FSU in the SEC?

As for the Big Ten, does an FSU invite mean they are no longer looking at schools in the PAC 12? Will USC & UCLA be on an island by themselves? Did the Big Ten promise them they would invite additional PAC 12 schools to off set the travel costs?

There are many questions and a big picture to consider….

ESPN has a huge investment and interest in college football. It’s business just like with FSU. They are not going to stand by and watch the whole thing implode without a fight.

Finally, the next intelligent and thoughtful article from Dennis Dodd will be his first….

We *could* do that… but only if ESPN applies tremendous force behind the scenes. Otherwise, they’ll get nothing more, and like it.

I couldn’t less about our non revenue sports but those here who do, should despise this idea…The diminishes returns will severely be felt in those programs. Don’t be so cavalier (no slight to UVA intended) to give up money so willingly. Especially to a d-bag school like FSU that truly is the bronze medal of the Florida schools in the first place.

If any school warrants the ransom payment it would be Miami due to their brand, (baffling as their national appeal is to me). FSU barely has the same national profile as Pitt this past eight years or so. And their failures are theirs alone. Nobody came to Pitt’s rescue for horrible chancellors and ADs that destroyed our football and basketball teams.

Reactions: pittmeister

Tens of millions per year in additional conference revenue would be a huge bonus for the athletics department.

We *could* do that… but only if ESPN applies tremendous force behind the scenes. Otherwise, they’ll get nothing more, and like it.

I couldn’t less about our non revenue sports but those here who do, should despise this idea…The diminishes returns will severely be felt in those programs. Don’t be so cavalier (no slight to UVA intended) to give up money so willingly. Especially to a d-bag school like FSU that truly is the bronze medal of the Florida schools in the first place.

If any school warrants the ransom payment it would be Miami due to their brand, (baffling as their national appeal is to me). FSU barely has the same national profile as Pitt this past eight years or so. And their failures are theirs alone. Nobody came to Pitt’s rescue for horrible chancellors and ADs that destroyed our football and basketball teams.
TRUTH! Well done!

On the other hand, maybe deep down FSU knows they have no options. They are merely trying to force ESPN's hand. Maybe they are filling the void of leadership that Phillips has failed to give. Maybe they are trying to piss off the other schools to apply more pressure on ESPN

They may turn out to be the hero when it's all over....

The thing about Clemson and now Florida State are they are not flagship programs. They are not "bluebloods" despite thinking they are. Both of their successes have been coaching dependent, not program dependent like an Ohio State or USC.

The thing about Clemson and now Florida State are they are not flagship programs. They are not "bluebloods" despite thinking they are. Both of their successes have been coaching dependent, not program dependent like an Ohio State or USC.

We've seen what can happen when "blue blood" programs also have coaching issues. So when it comes down to it, all programs are coaching dependent.

Of course, this problem can ultimately be resolves if every NCAA program that isn't in the SEC or BIG pretends that those conferences don't exist, and move to isolate them all.

I maintain my belief that the schools that offer the biggest "brands" are not going to get to the Big 10 or SEC.

These leagues are kingmakers. If they take a lesser brand, that school now has a chance to become a higher profile.

For example, I think NC State makes a ton of sense for the SEC. New territory /market AND.......by choosing a lesser brand than Clemson, they have minimized competition in that region.

Same problem for Fla State. Leaving FSU out and taking NC State or perhaps UNC, They have eliminated a modest threat in their footprint.

I would not jump to the conclusion that the remaining "brand" schools are first up for poaching.

FSU has won national championships with two different coaches over the last 25 years.

List of teams that can say that:

LSU
Ohio State

FSU has won national championships with two different coaches over the last 25 years.

LSU
Ohio State

Correct

And i would add FSU is a legit playoff contender this year.

I would not be surprised at all if Gameday was in Pittsburgh Nov 4.

LSU
Ohio State
So? All successful programs are dependent on the coaches. I'll include AD's as well. Is Michigan not a blue blood program because they haven't won multiple championships in the last 25 years with different coaches? Of course not. Same with Texas, Notre Dame, etc... Every college is one coaching hire mistake away from mediocrity.

However, blue bloods tend to bounce back quicker because of decades of tradition, recruiting location, alumni support and of course money....Clemson has never shown the decades of success they are showing now. South Carolina is just as popular as Clemson is in their own state. FSU is at the very least second fiddle to Florida (who by the way has also won 3 national championships with two different coaches in a 26 year span) in their state, if not third.

Your point is silly...

Correct

And i would add FSU is a legit playoff contender this year.

I would not be surprised at all if Gameday was in Pittsburgh Nov 4.
There are some potentially good games that week.
Florida State at Pitt
Washington at USC
Notre Dame at Clemson
Oklahoma at Oklahoma State
LSU at Alabama

TRUTH! Well done!

On the other hand, maybe deep down FSU knows they have no options. They are merely trying to force ESPN's hand. Maybe they are filling the void of leadership that Phillips has failed to give. Maybe they are trying to piss off the other schools to apply more pressure on ESPN

They may turn out to be the hero when it's all over....
That’s an interesting perspective. It might work out that way. I’d say it would be unintentional on FSU’s part if it did. But maybe ESPN, with its stake and investment in The ACC Network, would calculate that it is more valuable to keep the ACC intact (to keep the network viable), even if it took juicing the contract for all. If so, hail to the Seminoles!

Do I expect that to happen? No, unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT