ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting proposal by Smizik...

NC Panther

Head Coach
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2002
Would never happen because like everything else, the NIT would provide at least another home game and that means...mo $.

Smizik

The column sends a message alright. The message is Bob Smizik is an ass on the subject of sports these days.

We get that he is not in favor of continued participation in sports. Everything he writes is about making seasons shorter and eliminating participation. He hated the Big East Tournament too.

If he hates sports so much, why doesn't he blog about something else? Oh, that's right. Maybe he doesn't know anything else. Writing about sports paid his bills for about 50 years. Sure he may be jaded. But that doesn't mean he has to try to ruin everybody else's day.

He should perhaps consider that if all of the sports he has railed against as worthless, we could eliminate about half of the sportswriters, including curmudgeonly bloggers.
This post was edited on 3/7 7:16 AM by Harve74

I will agree with him and tell the team today it"s NCAA or bust.

We have very little chance at making the NCAA and that is fine. I believe it sends the message of what the goals should be. I am all for experiencing new things for our athletes and maybe if that included a road game to somewhere interesting for the experience and spending a few days there during spring break.

Another home game by my estimations isn't going to make the team better. The team is gassed but there is a feeling by everyone that next year will see better days.

Not this year.

So I am saying going on the road if it can be a vacation and experience while turning a profit is fine. Staying at home to play in the NIT is just depressing.

Ending the season after the ACC is not the worst thing in the world. Time to reload and get ready for next year.

Re: I will agree with him and tell the team today it"s NCAA or bust.

Is there a guarantee that an nit game would be a home game?

It's written by a man who never played. Period. And that's what needs to be remembered, he doesn't understand the desire to compete and play. He's too focused on the skeptical nature of athletics. That's Smizik's attempt at being intellectual I guess.

I don't care at what level of education a person participated in sports…you will NEVER hear that person say "boy, I really regret playing in one more game. My only wish was we would have stopped playing when it didn't matter so I could study."

I have a better idea…why don't "journalists" who retire stop writing.

Stupid proposal but Smizik is right ......

it has about one in ten million chance of happening.

Originally posted by NC Panther:
Would never happen because like everything else, the NIT would provide at least another home game and that means...mo $.
The non-NCAA post season tournaments are like the bottom 25 or so (probably even more) football bowl games - meaningless. They exist for one reason only - $$$ for TV and schools.

Smizik is right in his suggestion.

Smizik is a guy who dumped on Pitt the entire 90s for how bad its football team was because of an emphasis placed on recruiting more students than athletes for its football team. Now he wants Pitt to do the right thing and pass on the NIT so the players can be full-time students?

He probably loves Saban and Meyer -- two guys who don't even think for a second about their players' academics -- yet he wants Pitt to shock the world and pass on the NIT.

Screw you, Bob.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT