ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting ratings for two Sporting Events over the weekend.

Michigan/tOSU drew 17.7 million viewers.

England/USA drew 19.8 million viewers.

Discuss
Guessing the folks watching Clemson/South Carolina and WVU/Oklahoma St and Georgia Tech/Georgia (ie, what were the numbers for the 12pm college football slate vs the only soccer game watched?) were not watching the Michigan/tOSU game while a once every four year worldwide event involving a national team got 100% of the high school band and musical crowd to watch...

Guessing the folks watching Clemson/South Carolina and WVU/Oklahoma St and Georgia Tech/Georgia (ie, what were the numbers for the 12pm college football slate vs the only soccer game watched?) were not watching the Michigan/tOSU game while a once every four year worldwide event involving a national team got 100% of the high school band and musical crowd to watch...
Based on your username were you too afraid of leaving Cambria County to come to the big city. If so maybe you might want to refrain from internet tough guy act.

Michigan/tOSU drew 17.7 million viewers.

England/USA drew 19.8 million viewers.

Discuss
Not sure there’s anything profound to draw from it. I saw that it outdrew every World Series game from the last 5 years except for one. So while soccer dorks might get excited over that fact and meatheads might get infuriated over it, we are still talking about apples and oranges. The soccer game was on during the day when many people work, while many people were also off. Plus as I stated last week it ran relatively unapposed. The World Series games were all on during prime time. The only thing I’ll say from the numbers is that soccer has some degree of relevancy that meatheads have been resistant to acknowledge.

As far as the college game, football is still king in this country and always will be. But I am curious how many people watched the Argentina vs Mexico that was on at the same time as the OSU game. I was bar hoping in town and hit quite a few bars where people were watching both games. With the Mexican broadcast networks showing a game between Mexico and Messi, those numbers would have been in the millions too and took away from the OSU viewership.

Guys, there was nothing meant to be controversial and blast each other. It marks perhaps the 3rd most watched CFB of all time, which on a Saturday Noon, holiday weekend is pretty good.

Conversely 19.8 million on a Black Friday afternoon was set up pretty well by the holiday.

And it is pretty emblematic that US sports fans, are very much like Pittsburgh sports fans, and therefore almost all sports fans, they like big events.

Not sure there’s anything profound to draw from it. I saw that it outdrew every World Series game from the last 5 years except for one. So while soccer dorks might get excited over that fact and meatheads might get infuriated over it, we are still talking about apples and oranges. The soccer game was on during the day when many people work, while many people were also off. Plus as I stated last week it ran relatively unapposed. The World Series games were all on during prime time. The only thing I’ll say from the numbers is that soccer has some degree of relevancy that meatheads have been resistant to acknowledge.

As far as the college game, football is still king in this country and always will be. But I am curious how many people watched the Argentina vs Mexico that was on at the same time as the OSU game. I was bar hoping in town and hit quite a few bars where people were watching both games. With the Mexican broadcast networks showing a game between Mexico and Messi, those numbers would have been in the millions too and took away from the OSU viewership.
Well on the Mexican/'tina game, I can imagine in certain pockets of the country that ruled the Tv's

Based on your username were you too afraid of leaving Cambria County to come to the big city. If so maybe you might want to refrain from internet tough guy act.
Doesn’t it amaze you? It really is sad that people are threatened by a sport they know nothing about.

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
That’s a massive tv number. I didn’t even stop to think about it.

And it was on network television. I don't think the playoff games are? Those games 'feel' more important when they are on free tv, like the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl. When aired on ESPN, it brings them down a notch, imo.

Reactions: Burgh15
I heard the NFL numbers included streaming viewers for the first time this year, although as someone pointed out, all the games were on network TV so even cord cutters should have been able to watch the games on their televisions.

Discuss:

FiGPen5WIAAb5D0

:) I know this is made up.

MLS Championship - 1.49 million

Domino Masters - 2.05 million

Dominoes the new #5 sport in the US?

Discuss
MLS is a weird phenomenon. It’s the 5th major team sport in this country and yet most soccer people don’t care about it. It’s a minor league filled with curtain jerker players.

Discuss.

Reactions: PHPanther
MLS is a weird phenomenon. It’s the 5th major team sport in this country and yet most soccer people don’t care about it. It’s a minor league filled with curtain jerker players.

Discuss.
Kind of like the Senior golf tour.

I think the intent of the OP is to prove soccer has no interest due to comparison to a rather niche college football game. But I actually think the soccer game ratings are a win for that sport. In years and decades past, that game would be outdrawn by a test pattern (not that many here would know what that is).

I think the intent of the OP is to prove soccer has no interest due to comparison to a rather niche college football game. But I actually think the soccer game ratings are a win for that sport. In years and decades past, that game would be outdrawn by a test pattern (not that many here would know what that is).
No actually that was not my intent. I just that was alot of people to watch non prime time sporting events. I wasn't sure what to expect with either.

There it is!!! Now everyone accepts you for being a really cool guy. Thanks for sharing your opinion with us!
Not looking to be considered a "cool guy", just expressing my opinion on a sport that I think is slow and boring. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but I am allowed to express it.

I remember when I was young and thought the sport sucked, my Dad had a friend who had to have a satellite dish so that he could watch “all the European soccer”. I don’t know how the guy got hooked on the sport back then. He wasn’t an immigrant or anything like that. But I remember thinking it was a weird thing for him to watch. Fast forward 25-30 years and now it’s easily available on basic cable and because it is, I’m sure thats contributed to its growth domestically.

So you have been watching a lot of the WC since there have been some incredibly exciting Games. Good for you Pitt Dance team guy.
My friend, soccer is what it is. It doesn't matter whether it is a WC, EPL or MLS game, it is slow and boring in my opinion. I mean how many 0-0 and 1-0 games can you watch before you lose interest? I heard the one guy on tv today say that so far there had been 17 WC games that have been 0-0 at halftime. That is over half of the games that been played so far. Does that sound exciting to you? If you enjoy that, that's fine, but for me it is tough to watch.

My friend, soccer is what it is. It doesn't matter whether it is a WC, EPL or MLS game, it is slow and boring in my opinion. I mean how many 0-0 and 1-0 games can you watch before you lose interest? I heard the one guy on tv today say that so far there had been 17 WC games that have been 0-0 at halftime. That is over half of the games that been played so far. Does that sound exciting to you? If you enjoy that, that's fine, but for me it is tough to watch.
I would much rather watch the Sacramento Kings beat the Oklahoma City Thunder 127-123 in November than watch a soccer game.

Same old thing, soccer people getting in a huff because some others don' t enjoy a 1-0 sport. You know soccer will have arrived in the US when these defenders don't have to tell everyone how the rest of the world loves soccer, reminds me of the metric system folks back in the 80's, but the last time I looked the speed limit was 55.....miles per hour of course, anyone know or care how many Kilometers per hour that is?

Certain people in the United States respond to soccer in the same manner that they respond to other things, ideas, and people that they don’t understand or accept: with unnatural fear and loathing.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I would much rather watch the Sacramento Kings beat the Oklahoma City Thunder 127-123 in November than watch a soccer game.
Hey. The Thunder have one of the most exciting players in the NBA right now. SGA is playing like an all star starter.

Same old thing, soccer people getting in a huff because some others don' t enjoy a 1-0 sport. You know soccer will have arrived in the US when these defenders don't have to tell everyone how the rest of the world loves soccer, reminds me of the metric system folks back in the 80's, but the last time I looked the speed limit was 55.....miles per hour of course, anyone know or care how many Kilometers per hour that is?
Same old thing, soccer haters who cannot let other people enjoy something but have the absolute need to denigrate it.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT