ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt-UC CW Ratings

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
The River City Rivalry had an average of 617K viewers over the weekend, good enough for 18th for the day.

What’s interesting is that it had only slightly less viewers than the Charlotte-Maryland game on NBC, and it was better than anything the ACCN delivered. The 617K viewers I believe is more than our average viewership from last season as well as most games we’ve had on the ACCN. I’d call that a success… the more accessibility, the better!

Last edited:
Reactions: singregardless
Iowa-Iowa State was the 4th ranked highest rated? Really?

Stuff like this make me distrust ratings.

It makes sense when you consider:

1. It was on network television
2. It was a rivalry game between two P5 opponents
3. There wasn’t much competition in their time slot (next best game was Tulane-Ole Miss on ESPN2)
I just don't see much interest nationally in a state of Iowa rivalry. Especially an offensively challenged Iowa team.

Miami-TXAM was in that same time slot.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I just don't see much interest nationally in a state of Iowa rivalry. Especially an offensively challenged Iowa team.

Miami-TXAM was in that same time slot.
Good catch, they had it listed as 5:19pm for someone which threw me off. In the end, I just think the over-the-air television is a large enough boost. It’d be interesting to see what the ratings were in years that they were on FS1 or another cable channel.

Iowa-Iowa State was the 4th ranked highest rated? Really?

Stuff like this make me distrust ratings.
Much is time slot and channel related. It was the 3:30 game on Fox. It followed the Colorado game that 8.7 million people watched. Some folks just leave it on the same channel.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
The River City Rivalry had an average of 617K viewers over the weekend, good enough for 18th for the day.

What’s interesting is that it had only slightly less viewers than the Charlotte-Maryland game on NBC, and it was better than anything the ACCN delivered. The 617K viewers I believe is more than our average viewership from last season as well as most games we’ve had on the ACCN. I’d call that a success… the more accessibility, the better!
I don't think the ACCN and SECN are metered.

Good catch, they had it listed as 5:19pm for someone which threw me off. In the end, I just think the over-the-air television is a large enough boost. It’d be interesting to see what the ratings were in years that they were on FS1 or another cable channel.
ND-NC St ran late on ABC due to rain delay.
The Miami game spent a good amount of time on ESPNNEWS.

Charlotte/MD? :) Pitt v Cincinnati was a matchup of the ACC Champ and a CFP team from 2 years ago. You'd think they'd consider that a better game than some of these others.

Yeah these are awful numbers. This was the lowest ranked game of all the non cable games. Far from the wins some posters here think.

Yeah these are awful numbers. This was the lowest ranked game of all the non cable games. Far from the wins some posters here think.
I think the fact that it was close to the NBC game is a win considering A) as SMF, it was the first ever game on The CW and B) it likely outdrew whatever ratings we would’ve gotten on ACCN/RSN/ESPNU. I’ll take it.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
It was watched by far, far more people than would have watched it had it been on the RSNs like it would have been last year.

So yeah, a pretty big win no matter what some posters think.

CW is an upgrade from Raycom via Root or ESPN++TheOcho simply because it has near universal reach. Of course it's not ABC, but it gets us out there way more than old Raycom distribution deals.

CW is an upgrade from Raycom via Root or ESPN++TheOcho simply because it has near universal reach. Of course it's not ABC, but it gets us out there way more than old Raycom distribution deals.
There’s still something to be said for a network being housed near the big 4 broadcast networks on a cable system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT