ADVERTISEMENT

Is This Too Simple?

Mr. Monaca

Redshirt
Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
Here's the scenario (we've seen it many times in the recent past): Pitt is up 13 points at the beginning of the 4th quarter. The opposing team is lining up with 5 wide-outs and they're passing on almost every down.

Is it too simple a thing to assign your best defensive athlete to cover their best receiver one-on-one? Why would we ever attempt to cover a #1 or #2 receiver with a linebacker? (We've done it...remember the UNC game last year?)

So - let's assume Paris Ford becomes eligible, is in great football shape, and is as-great-as-advertised athletically. What would prevent the coaching staff from lining him up one-on-one in such a situation as described above? I have a feeling that there would be about a dozen different reasons given why we couldn't do this, but I don't see why not. And this isn't about Paris Ford, specifically. Why not line up your very best athletes (who can cover) with their very best receivers in obvious passing situations?

I guess I'm just anticipating what I believe will be a scenario that we're likely to see multiple times, and I'm already hedging my bet toward expressing likely frustration.

Here's the scenario (we've seen it many times in the recent past): Pitt is up 13 points at the beginning of the 4th quarter. The opposing team is lining up with 5 wide-outs and they're passing on almost every down.

Is it too simple a thing to assign your best defensive athlete to cover their best receiver one-on-one? Why would we ever attempt to cover a #1 or #2 receiver with a linebacker? (We've done it...remember the UNC game last year?)

So - let's assume Paris Ford becomes eligible, is in great football shape, and is as-great-as-advertised athletically. What would prevent the coaching staff from lining him up one-on-one in such a situation as described above? I have a feeling that there would be about a dozen different reasons given why we couldn't do this, but I don't see why not. And this isn't about Paris Ford, specifically. Why not line up your very best athletes (who can cover) with their very best receivers in obvious passing situations?

I guess I'm just anticipating what I believe will be a scenario that we're likely to see multiple times, and I'm already hedging my bet toward expressing likely frustration.
If the coaches remember what transpired after being up 36-23 on UNC last year, I'm hoping they'll try anything...

That UNC loss was the fulcrum in many ways. Killed a lot of enthusiasm for the rest of the season because handwriting seemed on the wall of how we'd finish and what kind of lesser bowl we'd get.

How many fourth downs did UNC convert on that final possession? At least 2 I recall. Maybe another? And in predictable fashion (Switzer). Took a bit of lustre off Duz as a "defensive guru" (and we hadn't even given up 61 to Syracuse yet).

That UNC loss was the fulcrum in many ways. Killed a lot of enthusiasm for the rest of the season because handwriting seemed on the wall of how we'd finish and what kind of lesser bowl we'd get.

How many fourth downs did UNC convert on that final possession? At least 2 I recall. Maybe another? And in predictable fashion (Switzer). Took a bit of lustre off Duz as a "defensive guru" (and we hadn't even given up 61 to Syracuse yet).
They completed 3 fourth downs in the final possession and another in the possession before it.

Drive to make it 36-30:
4th and 3 - Pass to Switzer for 3 yards that just made it

Drive to win 37-36 (17 play drive):
4th and 6 - Pass to Switzer for 15 yards
4th and 6 - Pass to Prohl for 13 yards
4th and 9 - Pass to Switzer for 9 yards that just made it

Not to mention the third and goal they scored on with 2 seconds left.

I sat alone outside for about an hour after that.

Almost every Pitt fan would have been happy with an 8-4 record and wins over PS and Clemson before last season began. The goal posts are constantly being moved by people.

Almost every Pitt fan would have been happy with an 8-4 record and wins over PS and Clemson before last season began. The goal posts are constantly being moved by people.
I agree that is relatively true. However, it isn't as cut and dry as that. No one expected the offense to be so good last year. Because we had a great offense, the expectations increased with the assumption we have a defensive minded HC and the defense had to get better. It never did. It was one of the worst against the pass and it really wasn't very good against the run, when you exclude sacks and consider teams didn't have to run to be successful. It was disappointing that we saw a lack of adjustments in game and throughout the season.

It was disappointing that we saw a lack of adjustments in game and throughout the season.

That one bugged me as well but I kind of decided they were in a catch 22. Never mind the lack of depth, anytime they backed the safeties off, teams went underneath. I think it ended up being more of a personnel issue. I'm hoping that as some of "Narduzzi's guys" start making their way into the lineup, we see that go away. Key word is "hoping".

Facts remain: Had a big lead at UNC, blew it by allowing umpteen fourth downs (thanks to the poster above for the details ... yuck) and it pretty much didn't matter what happened from there because we were slotted into a crappy bowl even if we ran the table.

It would have been one thing to have gone there and gotten drilled, then you just tip the cap (kind of like what happened at Miami). But that UNC game should have been won. A good program doesn't blow that one. It was an SOP moment.

But it wasn't only just the blown lead factor. In the NFL it could be shrugged off, since even 8 loss teams can sometimes make playoffs. But with the harsh reality of college football, and particularly Pitt's conference, that loss, as early as it was, crushed what remained of the enthusiasm from the PSU win and the tough showing at OSu because it almost sealed our fate no matter what occurred after.

Sorry if some don't like the tyranny of 'expectations' but that's what drives sports.

Reactions: Jpripper88
They completed 3 fourth downs in the final possession and another in the possession before it.

Drive to make it 36-30:

I was pretty irate after that one too. Especially considering how the game started with Price scoring a safety and looking dominant.

The thing to keep in mind is that the kid that made all of those completions was picked #2 overall and looked pretty good against Denver (albeit second team). Pitt fans, and most others, didn't think that much of Trubisky then because he'd been a back up until last season.

Remember this?

Thanks for the analysis but I'll default to the staff. They seem to know what they're doing.
Well - Clemson did have about 600 yards of offense with a quarterback operating on one leg. I was very happy to be wrong about the final score. Our offense was brilliant.

Another high NFL draft pick.

Pitt's weakest unit was the DBs but they often looked worse because of the inconsistent play of the front 7. Throw in playing in the league with by far the best QB play you have a recipe for disaster yet somehow PN made it into a respectable season.

The increased athleticism of all defensive units and the departure of many of great ACC QBs will move Pitt more towards middle of pass defenses.

Well - Clemson did have about 600 yards of offense with a quarterback operating on one leg. I was very happy to be wrong about the final score. Our offense was brilliant.

Drive to make it 36-30:

Often after losing a game like this, the fans will say it was the coaches fault. They'll say he should have done this or he should've done that... Coaches will say after the game that "We needed to make a play, that's why we lost."

In most cases, the coaches are right. It's usually the difference between winning or losing a close game. Case in point, let's look at the Clemson game... How many times did the players make plays in order to win that game?

- Ryan Lewis's interception in the end zone in the 1st quarter
- Brightwell's interception near the goal line that set up Conner's TD.
- Stops on 3rd and 4th down that set up the game winning FG.
- Blewitt hitting the 48 yarder for the win.

Those are examples of players making plays.

In the NC game, we made ZERO plays. Players ultimately wins games.

Reactions: 3genpanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT