ADVERTISEMENT

James Conner vs Najee

You as well the person who liked your post live in trees. You should have some conversations with former prominent Pitt players and ask them how they feel about the Pittsburgh media. But keep up your naive narratives.
Well not in trees, but I do I live in western PA and am fully aware of the Pittsburgh sports media. I am fortunate, or maybe unfortunate depending on how you look at it, to have the ability to listen to and read plenty of the writers and hosts from the office I work. I have a pretty good pulse on things.

If we stay on point, the conversation was about James Conner who absolutely no one in the Nitter media victimized when Conner was here. Yes when he was drafted there were questions as to whether he can be a good NFL player. But those questions come with every player who is not a high draft pick. Conner quickly put them to rest and became a well liked and respected steeler and no one in the media disrespected him because he came from Pitt. Madden on the other hand did have an axe to grind with Conner and that is maybe because Conner was very popular here and Madden did what Madden does and play the heel to get under the skin of the masses.

And I don’t disagree with you with your general statement about the Pittsburgh media. It’s just that it doesn’t apply here. So I’m not sure why you brought it up.

Well, I guess you had to be a Steeler fan at the time then, he was constantly ripped apart in the media and on twitter from the state penn crowd. I dont think there is even a question about it really, it happened.
He wasn’t
He over delivered when leveon sat out - was a pro bowler .
Then got injured a few times
That’s not hate .

It's really hard to draft an All Pro defensive back if you're always picking 20+. Most of them are top 20 picks. A lot of them are top 10 picks. The Steelers just don't sniff those guys most years. But yeah, they still suck at drafting them.

My theory on team construction is to just load up on those high leverage positions, especially compared to RB. I don't see the value of not only burning a valuable R1 pick on a RB and then also having to pay that RB a R1 rate instead of getting a cost controlled player at a more expensive position. I think that's pretty conventional wisdom at this point. The Steelers are just so frickin arrogant that they don't care what others do or don't do. It makes almost zero impact on their decisionmaking. I just think it's unwise to be that stubborn and iconoclastic.

The evidence bears this out. The NFL rushing leader has won 2 Super Bowls since 1995 and zero since 1999. You just don't need the best running game in the NFL to win big and IMO you actually hurt yourself by investing premium picks into RB versus QB, OL, WR, pass rush, and DB.
Harris was picked 24th

So unlike your insistence - the value was there

Sure Mueller was being facetious. If you listen to them enough, you learn to know exactly how they are about things and then don’t overreact to anecdotal things they say. Both are Pitt supporters, as well as the 3rd guy on the show Donnie Football… so in regards to the conversation at hand, they aren’t ripping Kenny because he’s a pitt guy. If anything, they have a bit of a bias because he IS a Pitt guy. I mean, Poni has steelers winning like 13 games and going to the Super Bowl because of his admiration of Kenny. And that’s not him being facetious either.

As far as the getting married thing, it did remind me of the famous quote from Jack Nicklaus regarding Tiger. He said let’s see how he does after he gets married. And well, we saw what happened. Lol.
I didn’t say these two were ripping him because he is a Pitt guy. My beef was their preposterous reasons, some which I’m sure was just “we’re just two drunken morons who are apt to say ANYTHING” radio schtick.

But the Pitt aspect of it definitely makes it more palatable/enjoyable to a significant portion of the region, essentially all EXCEPT Pitt fans… wouldn’t even you admit that?

It went/goes both ways, if that makes you feel better. The local media of the region fawned a bit much over Pickett at the time he was drafted, with the definite knowledge that the Pitt fans in the region would like that, and would watch/listen/read. (They did the same thing to Conner).

Flip side, once either of these had adversity, the claws came out just a bit sharper than they would if it were just regular guys.

It’s (mostly) not out of any specific individual biases, because they wouldn’t have been able to stomach fawning over Pickett or Conner in the first place.

But there IS a bit of edge to it, as demonstrated by the “he sucks because he’s a coward after his concussions” dialogue (which was NOT being played for yuks; that Muller character was being ardent in his ridiculous opinion on that).

It’s the vice-versa of the above; the extra edge in the ripping plays to the anti-Pitt dislike in the region. Hey, PSU and WVU both claim to own WPA, right? That’s stupid of course but they DO have their niches here. They hate us as much as we hate them (WVU hates us far more, actually). So, it does not go unaware that those groups would eat up the piling on of criticism of ‘the Pitt guy’, in fact, the more over the top “Pickett is a coward” stupidity of the claims, the better.

And Chris collinsworth hates the Steelers blah blah blah. Been hearing this from Steeler fans for decades. It’s the same thing.

These people in the media say 95 good things about guys like Pickett, but the 5 times they say something negative about him or Conner, or whoever, it’s somehow an anti Pitt agenda.

The inferiority complex some of my brethren have here is disturbing.

How can I help my fellow Lair friends overcome this ailment?
never understood that narrative. Chris Collinsworth blows the steelers every single time he does a steeler game. it's almost comical. as a steeler fan, i like it but even i have to roll my eyes some times.

How many times a game does he bring up "the steeler way" or "this is steelers football"? It's crazy, and truth be told, we havent been like "Steelers football" in over a decade but he still acts like it's relevant today..

i feel like the local and national media are pretty fair towards pickett. he hasnt played well and that's coming from a huge pickett fan. a lot of missed throws and errant passes. and yes, i know the OL has been a disaster and that should be taken into account but you cant blame everything on the OL and run game..

but some good things came from last monday night so there is reason for optimism. I really dont recall any anti-James Conner rhetoric from the local media despite saying he was always injured and well they werent wrong..

i feel like the local and national media are pretty fair towards pickett. he hasnt played well and that's coming from a huge pickett fan. a lot of missed throws and errant passes. and yes, i know the OL has been a disaster and that should be taken into account but you cant blame everything on the OL and run game..

but some good things came from last monday night so there is reason for optimism. I really dont recall any anti-James Conner rhetoric from the local media despite saying he was always injured and well they werent wrong..
What people don’t understand is people like collinsworth sell what they are covering. Tune in next Sunday when he makes the Jets out to be Super Bowl contenders. Yes he pimps for the steeler opponent and compliments them excessively. But he’s also doing the same thing with the Steelers. Yinzers just don’t hear the praise and then zero in on the one negative thing that he might say and then yinzers be like “see see, He hates the Steelers and thus we hate him”. Pitt fans here are the same thing with the media and Pickett, Conner and Pitt.

Let’s be honest with ourselves, the media isn’t going to be all lollipops and unicorns with Kenny. There are plenty of flaws right now. There just are. However, it annoys me when they blame him as much as Canada, or almost as much, but they are not going to be a Kenny apologist like I am. And if anyone read the papers and listened to the radio from aug 1 until the 49er game, they were all slobbering all over themselves in reaction to Kenny’s positive play. Everyone from hoopie Crowley to Nitter Dulac to Spartan Prisuta to Poni to Mueller, etc, etc, etc. Even me, a Kenny apologist, kept wanting these guys to pump the breaks a bit.

What people don’t understand is people like collinsworth sell what they are covering. Tune in next Sunday when he makes the Jets out to be Super Bowl contenders. Yes he pimps for the steeler opponent and compliments them excessively. But he’s also doing the same thing with the Steelers. Yinzers just don’t hear the praise and then zero in on the one negative thing that he might say and then yinzers be like “see see, He hates the Steelers and thus we hate him”.
I think it's a little deeper than that. Collinsworth was pretty fresh off of playing when he started in the booth and he didn't hide his disdain for the Steelers back then. Was justified, a little, by the fact that everyone in the AFC Central hated each other. Post Steeler dynasty and everyone was trying to become the new top dog in the division and it got ugly sometimes. I think a lot of Yinzers remember the guy he was. He hasn't done that in a long time but I find him annoying to listen to. Almost sounds like he's doing sound bites for a video game most of the time. Obviously that has appeal to a large audience or he wouldn't be doing primetime games.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
What people don’t understand is people like collinsworth sell what they are covering. Tune in next Sunday when he makes the Jets out to be Super Bowl contenders. Yes he pimps for the steeler opponent and compliments them excessively. But he’s also doing the same thing with the Steelers. Yinzers just don’t hear the praise and then zero in on the one negative thing that he might say and then yinzers be like “see see, He hates the Steelers and thus we hate him”. Pitt fans here are the same thing with the media and Pickett, Conner and Pitt.

Let’s be honest with ourselves, the media isn’t going to be all lollipops and unicorns with Kenny. There are plenty of flaws right now. There just are. However, it annoys me when they blame him as much as Canada, or almost as much, but they are not going to be a Kenny apologist like I am. And if anyone read the papers and listened to the radio from aug 1 until the 49er game, they were all slobbering all over themselves in reaction to Kenny’s positive play. Everyone from hoopie Crowley to Nitter Dulac to Spartan Prisuta to Poni to Mueller, etc, etc, etc. Even me, a Kenny apologist, kept wanting these guys to pump the breaks a bit.
i was listening to poni and mueller this week, both i actually really like and lets be honest, both of them (Poni especially) are all over Pickett's nuts, almost overboard. Any way, they were talking about the TD pass to Muth and mueller made a great point and said, I cant wait for the day when we arent talking about a 15 yard pass to an open TE as a great play by him but just see this as a normal one.

It was such a great point. like, WOW, DID YOU SEE THAT THROW and in reality, NFL Qbs are doing this every single game, multiple times a day. How many nice passes did Tua have? Herbert? but we just see such few good plays from him that we look at this like it's a miracle throw..

So in short, i disagree with your statement of Let’s be honest with ourselves, the media isn’t going to be all lollipops and unicorns with Kenny because in reality, local media is fawning all over basic throws that any and all NFL Qbs should be making in their sleep..

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
i was listening to poni and mueller this week, both i actually really like and lets be honest, both of them (Poni especially) are all over Pickett's nuts, almost overboard. Any way, they were talking about the TD pass to Muth and mueller made a great point and said, I cant wait for the day when we arent talking about a 15 yard pass to an open TE as a great play by him but just see this as a normal one.

It was such a great point. like, WOW, DID YOU SEE THAT THROW and in reality, NFL Qbs are doing this every single game, multiple times a day. How many nice passes did Tua have? Herbert? but we just see such few good plays from him that we look at this like it's a miracle throw..

So in short, i disagree with your statement of Let’s be honest with ourselves, the media isn’t going to be all lollipops and unicorns with Kenny because in reality, local media is fawning all over basic throws that any and all NFL Qbs should be making in their sleep..
You gotta have someone actually make that play on the other end. Thing about a great pass is that it usually takes a great catch. Other than Pickens, who is making those catches, right now? I guess sideline grabs aren't that sexy. The other problem is that the offense really doesn't allow the QB to throw tough balls into the middle of the field very often so that really cuts back on the number of opportunities. Canada's offense was built to give the QB an easy bailout over the bench so he doesn't have to make tough throws.

You gotta have someone actually make that play on the other end. Thing about a great pass is that it usually takes a great catch. Other than Pickens, who is making those catches, right now? I guess sideline grabs aren't that sexy. The other problem is that the offense really doesn't allow the QB to throw tough balls into the middle of the field very often so that really cuts back on the number of opportunities. Canada's offense was built to give the QB an easy bailout over the bench so he doesn't have to make tough throws.
but that's the point. it wasnt a great pass or a great catch, it was a good pass to an open TE who made a catch. and we, the media and fans, are acting like it was Joe Montana to Dwight Clark.

the point Mueller was making, and it was a good one, is that we need to get to the point where we dont look at a decent throw and catch as a great play.. That we "expect" KP to make throws like this when a TE/WR is open by 2-3 yards.

but that's the point. it wasnt a great pass or a great catch, it was a good pass to an open TE who made a catch. and we, the media and fans, are acting like it was Joe Montana to Dwight Clark.

the point Mueller was making, and it was a good one, is that we need to get to the point where we dont look at a decent throw and catch as a great play.. That we "expect" KP to make throws like this when a TE/WR is open by 2-3 yards.
I sort of explained why you're not seeing these "great" passes but I don't know who in the media was acting like that was a Joe Montana to Dwight Clark moment. Mueller is sort of creating a narrative by saying people are acting that way. There were actually some sarcastic nods towards it being KP's first two TD game. Frankly, it was nice to see a play designed that wasn't a complete cluster like you get from Canada most of the time in those situations. That was probably what made it sensational because I'm certain it was tempting for him to call a jet sweep there.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

I’ve been listening to Poni and Mueller since Kenny was drafted and they were wetting their pants with excitement. Before that, I found them unlistenable. Now they’ve grown on me because they are smart, have good chemistry and cover the NFL like no one else in the city. They love Narduzzi, like Pitt and as you know Poni wants to sleep with Kenny. Right now, since the 49er game, Poni is still a Kenny ball washer and Mueller has taken the measured and sometimes contrarian viewpoint. But why wouldn’t he? If he were fawning over Kenny as well, no one would take the show seriously because as you said, Kenny is not exempt from criticism.

That’s the primary problem with this topic
People listening to sports talk radio to form their own opinions

congrats, you are the original "ratio". Over 8K posts but less than 2k likes. That's pretty impressive.
People pay attention to things like that ?
It’s a message board . Holy crap , what a bunch of weirdos flexing social media
Clout .
Ha! I just checked. You’re just jealous because your numbers are significantly worse than Jtowns.

But personally, I prefer you to him. You can occasionally be thoughtful.

Ha! I just checked. You’re just jealous because your numbers are significantly worse than Jtowns.

souf dying on the sword that kendrick greene, dan moore and now Najee was actually a good draft class is priceless. i love it, my boy will never admit he's wrong, NEVER.

dude just keeps digging, in a hole but digs and digs and digs. now he is saying that Najee had good value as a first round pick is icing on the cake.

It’s a weird thing to worry about it
If you’re posting for likes you’re in a instagram influencer - kardashian mindset
Which is especially weird as you aren’t monetizing it via an anonymous name on a yahoo run site

souf dying on the sword that kendrick greene, dan moore and now Najee was actually a good draft class is priceless. i love it, my boy will never admit he's wrong, NEVER.

dude just keeps digging, in a hole but digs and digs and digs. now he is saying that Najee had good value as a first round pick is icing on the cake.
I’ve already called ya out this lie, Hr

It’s easy .
I can think for myself .
Instead of being a sports talk radio influenced lemming.
But sheep gonna sheep

yep, you are a one man army there backing up that notion about that draft class being good.
I just have enough common sense and context that if half your draft plays a bunch of minutes - it’s successful
Because most teams are a much lower percent

Case in point - Kendrick and a bunch of backups dominated the stiller front 7.
Perhaps it’s coaching and schemes after all ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT