ADVERTISEMENT

Jeffress to commit on 4/28 @11 am

Too bad you answered it this way. I posted that we oughta "cut you a
break" on this one. The other posters basically said....nope, no break.
They were right about you....and you just proved it.
So...your image and reputation continues.
SMF knows basketball ...... Ridiculous at best.

So you think the season starts on time? I am really not going out on a limb by predicting it doesn't start until the 2nd semester. Is that really a far-fetched prediction?

So you think the season starts on time? I am really not going out on a limb by predicting it doesn't start until the 2nd semester. Is that really a far-fetched prediction?

Depends on if fans are allowed or if they'll play without fans. I'd say no fans = start on time. If fans are "essential (tired of that word but it fits)" then I think you're on to something.

Read not only my response to your "cover your ass both ways
post"....but also the the other posters who responded.
You still haven't figured it out. If you just gave opinions and not
try to make them facts, you wouldn't get attcked as you do on here.
It's more HOW than WHAT when it comes to your posts.

Last edited:
It’s freaking April. How about we stop making definitive statements about things months down the road. I get the point that games can’t be played if classes aren’t in session on campuses, but even that is a decision that is a few months away.

Reactions: jctrack and Chescat
It’s not just a question if fans are permitted to go it’s a question of how many fans would want to go . Until a treatment or vaccine is available how many people want to sit beside or in front of some guy yelling and screaming spewing respiratory droplets ? Think Bill Cowher !

Wearing masks would have to be mandatory and do areas and stadiums adjust seating capacity. Every other seat and every other row would give you some measure of safety , but that means max capacity is 25% .

My bet is unless something happens therapeutically no fans is the answer .

It’s freaking April. How about we stop making definitive statements about things months down the road. I get the point that games can’t be played if classes aren’t in session on campuses, but even that is a decision that is a few months away.

Definitive statements I can make:

- No students on campus in fall

- No football in fall unless they agree to play without fans

- No basketball in fall unless they agree to play without fans

* I do think basketball may start in the fall without fans. Either fall without fans or 2nd semester potentially with fans

IMHO, if that is allowed to happen our political leaders will prove themselves even bigger fools than they already appear. Staying shutdown that long will kill far more people from other causes than the coronavirus ever could.

In any event, also IMHO, the public is highly unlikely to stand for that to happen. Ever increasing numbers of people are already running out of patience as they lose their employment.

Reactions: jctrack

* I do think basketball may start in the fall without fans. Either fall without fans or 2nd semester potentially with fans

Please note DC_Area's response to you. He starts off with an IMHO.
You started yours three definitive statements which once again
are mere opinions.
Your last statement, about basketball, fans, and potential are fine.
It's not the WHAT it's the HOW. That's why you are always getting
attacked and ridiculed on here.

Some schools are saying they'll have to decide student plan in next 6 weeks. I guess sports and conferences can go a bit further to decide (nothing/no fans/fans) but the critical mass window for fall is soon. Almost impossible to imagine each conference agreeing to one direction in time let alone the entire P5 in time.

IMHO, if that is allowed to happen our political leaders will prove themselves even bigger fools than they already appear. Staying shutdown that long will kill far more people from other causes than the coronavirus ever could.

In any event, also IMHO, the public is highly unlikely to stand for that to happen. Ever increasing numbers of people are already running out of patience as they lose their employment.
Going to work to feed your family isn’t the same thing as going to a sporting event with thousands of fans packed in close quarters with other people drinking and carrying on .

Govt restrictions or not I think quite a lot of fans would be very hesitant to go to games anyway .

I believe just being able to watch the games on tv would suffice for awhile .

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg

Things won't be "shut down" that long. Just prohibitions of mass gatherings. Not being able to attend sporting events or concerts until 2021 isnt going to cause anyone to die. La Liga has already said no fans until 2021 and Spain hasn't been hit as hard as the US. And do yoi think Real Madrid and Barcelona are a bit greedy?

No those are opinions. You might end up being right, but as of today you absolutely cannot say definitively that fall semesters will be held without students on campus.

Reactions: Chescat
Some schools are saying they'll have to decide student plan in next 6 weeks. I guess sports and conferences can go a bit further to decide (nothing/no fans/fans) but the critical mass window for fall is soon. Almost impossible to imagine each conference agreeing to one direction in time let alone the entire P5 in time.

It is entirely possible that sports may be played without fans for a time if only for the reason that many fans may be afraid to attend because they have been over the top frightened by over sensationalized news spewed by the mass media.

IMHO, going forward, only the vulnerable and the elderly should be quarantined and strenuously protected. Everyone else should be able to go back to a fairly normal routine because only an extremely small number of the healthy majority of the public is life-threatened by the coronavirus. More importantly, IMHO, that large healthy portion of the population is more seriously health-threatened by the unintended consequences attendant to high unemployment than it is by the virus. Bottom line, IMO, as long as we take extra precautions to protect the vulnerable, which in turn will keep hospitals from being overwhelmed, we can and should--for the overall good of the entire country-- allow most things to be started back up again by mid-summer.

It is entirely possible that sports may be played without fans for a time if only for the reason that many fans may be afraid to attend because they have been over the top frightened by over sensationalized news spewed by the mass media.

IMHO, going forward, only the vulnerable and the elderly should be quarantined and strenuously protected. Everyone else should be able to go back to a fairly normal routine because only an extremely small number of the healthy majority of the public is life-threatened by the coronavirus. More importantly, IMHO, that large healthy portion of the population is more seriously health-threatened by the unintended consequences attendant to high unemployment than it is by the virus. Bottom line, IMO, as long as we take extra precautions to protect the vulnerable, which in turn will keep hospitals from being overwhelmed, we can and should--for the overall good of the entire country-- allow most things to be started back up again by mid-summer.

0.0% chance of large mass gatherings until 2021. If there was a number lower than 0, it would be that. Unless of course there is a vaccine or treatment before then

We still don't know enough about this virus to know the long-term effects and who will truly be affected.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

We still don't know enough about this virus to know the long-term effects and who will truly be affected.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

The fact remains that the number of deaths other than for the elderly or those with underlying health issues is relatively small based on the data on the over 50,000 deaths currently attributed to the coronavirus and to additional data suggesting that between 50 to 85 times as many people were infected than diagnosed--meaning that vast numbers of people were either asymptomatic or only experienced mild non-life-threatening symptoms.

So, yes, while it is true that there are others, believed at least, not to be in the "at risk" categories that have been seriously ill or have died, IMHO, the numbers are too small to justify what appear to be far greater national health risks from other sources posed by maintaining a shutdown of the country for much longer.

IMO, since there is no such thing as zero risk, we need to tolerate some level and make the judgment as to how much coronavirus risk to tolerate by an assessment of the larger national health picture rather than remaining solely coronavirus-centric. That is why, in my personal opinion, it is nearly time to "cut the Gordian Knot" and I will continue to respectfully disagree.

Last edited:
In NY State, the governor was requiring nursing homes to take Wuhan virus patients who were recovering from the virus, all the while also admitting high risk individuals, elderly with underlying conditions, and healthy people recovering from knee replacements, etc. The nursing homes did not take proper precautions and this accounted for almost 5,000 deaths just from nursing homes alone in NY State.

0.0% chance of large mass gatherings until 2021. If there was a number lower than 0, it would be that. Unless of course there is a vaccine or treatment before then

Once again, an opinion with no basis in fact. We simply do not know.

But we do have some evidence to the contrary of what you think (as usual).

We have the president of Purdue university insisting the school will be open in the Fall.

We have the governor of Georgia (among other governors) allowing outdoor dining at restaurants with rules in place.

Outdoor dining.......is that so different from viewing a football game with distancing guidelines in place?

As we dont know who will have the final say with this...it may be the state governors, it may come from Washington.

But evidence is now coming out that attendance may be possible. Given the ability of the schools to make some revenue, and the political ties all of these schools have with their state houses,

Attendance in the fall is not a slam dunk "no way....0.0 chance" as you suggest.

Once again, an opinion with no basis in fact. We simply do not know.

But we do have some evidence to the contrary of what you think (as usual).

We have the president of Purdue university insisting the school will be open in the Fall.

We have the governor of Georgia (among other governors) allowing outdoor dining at restaurants with rules in place.

Outdoor dining.......is that so different from viewing a football game with distancing guidelines in place?

As we dont know who will have the final say with this...it may be the state governors, it may come from Washington.

But evidence is now coming out that attendance may be possible. Given the ability of the schools to make some revenue, and the political ties all of these schools have with their state houses,

Attendance in the fall is not a slam dunk "no way....0.0 chance" as you suggest.
Lol why bother? Dude lives in an alternate reality

La Liga has already said no fans until 2021 and Spain hasn't been hit as hard as the US.

Confirmed cases per 1 million population:
US - 3072
Spain - 4910

Deaths per 1 million population:
US - 173
Spain - 503

Confirmed case fatality rate:
US - 5.6%
Spain - 10.3%

I guess you are technically correct, Spain hasn't been hit AS HARD as the US. They've been hit much harder.

Do you really not know that other than probably China (where we will never know the real numbers) and possibly Iran (same caveat), the three hardest hit countries in the world have been Italy, Belgium and Spain?

Confirmed cases per 1 million population:
US - 3072
Spain - 4910

Deaths per 1 million population:
US - 173
Spain - 503

Confirmed case fatality rate:
US - 5.6%
Spain - 10.3%

I guess you are technically correct, Spain hasn't been hit AS HARD as the US. They've been hit much harder.

Do you really not know that other than probably China (where we will never know the real numbers) and possibly Iran (same caveat), the three hardest hit countries in the world have been Italy, Belgium and Spain?

OK. Per Capita. Yea. Still, La Liga going with no fans until 2021 pretty much shows what's going to happen here ESPECIALLY in "not-for-profit" amateur intercollegiate athletics.

I think there's a much higher probability of fans at football games than basketball games. Football is played outside in warmer temperatures in much larger venues and athletic departments require that revenue.

Even with the 25% figure speculated above, Pitt is certainly still lacking in season ticket holders and I don't expect they sold drastically more than 4,000 season tickets last year and would undoubtedly not have 4,000 this fall. It doesn't seem inconceivable they'd "sellout" a 4,000 capacity if they wanted.

I think there's a much higher probability of fans at football games than basketball games. Football is played outside in warmer temperatures in much larger venues and athletic departments require that revenue.

Even with the 25% figure speculated above, Pitt is certainly still lacking in season ticket holders and I don't expect they sold drastically more than 4,000 season tickets last year and would undoubtedly not have 4,000 this fall. It doesn't seem inconceivable they'd "sellout" a 4,000 capacity if they wanted.
No zoo !

Yes Jeffress is a great get and Capel is doing a great job for what he inherited. Season or no season the foundation is being built. H2P!
I hate that qualifier “for what he inherited”. He inherited a coach’s Dream other than what Jamie inherited. You don’t want a middle of the pack team u either want a great team or a team everyone will give you a few years to turn around and mold the team YOU want.

Why can’t it just be “he’s doing a great job”. No qualifier attached. That’s like saying she’s pretty good for a woman...

I hate that qualifier “for what he inherited”. He inherited a coach’s Dream other than what Jamie inherited. You don’t want a middle of the pack team u either want a great team or a team everyone will give you a few years to turn around and mold the team YOU want.

Why can’t it just be “he’s doing a great job”. No qualifier attached. That’s like saying she’s pretty good for a woman...
Ok sir will do

Well, Oregon Pres saying intending to be open in person on campus for fall term. So who knows.

Well, Oregon Pres saying intending to be open in person on campus for fall term. So who knows.

Answer ..... none other than SMF....HE knows. Hell, he already told
all of us in a previous post in this thread. You know, the one he called
his "difintive statements."
So once again? Who knows?.....SMF knows basketball.

Obviously, we'll never know what "could have been", but I'd like to know how Drumgoole would've progressed without the injury. Probably still a few minutes here and there, but could've added a dimension somewhere.
There was a reason Drumgoole was starting before he got injured. He’s a glue guy. Much like Jaron Brown was back in the day. I expect him to be much better this year - H2P!

There was a reason Drumgoole was starting before he got injured. He’s a glue guy. Much like Jaron Brown was back in the day. I expect him to be much better this year - H2P!

He may very well prove to be what you say he is. The problem is we
only could go by what we saw on the floor this past year, and it was
pretty bad. We all know Capel had him as a starter at the beginning
of the season, and that means he saw something in him.
We also all know his injury could be the reason for his never coming
around. Personally I never saw anything in his game that could be
seen as positive. His shot was awful, he couldn't hit from the outside
and that was supposed to be a strength. His floor game was maybe
average, if that. He did hustle. He hit the boards, but nothing
outstanding for a 6'5" wing.
I'm willing to give a second year player, coming off an injury the
benefit of the doubt. He's going to have to make a complete
turn around to convince me though.

He may very well prove to be what you say he is. The problem is we
only could go by what we saw on the floor this past year, and it was
pretty bad. We all know Capel had him as a starter at the beginning
of the season, and that means he saw something in him.
We also all know his injury could be the reason for his never coming
around. Personally I never saw anything in his game that could be
seen as positive. His shot was awful, he couldn't hit from the outside
and that was supposed to be a strength. His floor game was maybe
average, if that. He did hustle. He hit the boards, but nothing
outstanding for a 6'5" wing.
I'm willing to give a second year player, coming off an injury the
benefit of the doubt. He's going to have to make a complete
turn around to convince me though.

My guess is that he was hitting his shots early in practice .

Glue guys set picks , get loose balls , block out on rebounding , get crucial rebounds , don’t make mistakes on defense and make that extra pass that gives someone an easier shot . Pitt didn't have that guy on their roster last yr .

Reactions: Chescat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT