ADVERTISEMENT

Should I worry about this NCSt game?

GT74

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
New Castle
The game means so much in relation to ACC tournament seed and NCAA possibility. Also, it is senior night, which normally is a motivation, but also can be distracting, especially honoring Blake and his record(s). NCSt is a capable opponent and has beaten some good teams. We beat them at their place, so they have a revenge factor and a hope of finishing at .500 in the ACC. Also the Burns body is trouble for our bigs. He hurt us in the first game. I am very hopeful for this victory meaning 11 of last 14 wins, but I am nervous. I just hope this team really focuses on the job at hand, and not anything outside of it. Then it is a matter of defending and hitting shots.

Always be scared, it's conference play. But we should be confident too. Hopefully we realize Burns is fat as hell and attack him into foul trouble or second half fatigue.

Reactions: jctrack and CCHS82
The game means so much in relation to ACC tournament seed and NCAA possibility. Also, it is senior night, which normally is a motivation, but also can be distracting, especially honoring Blake and his record(s). NCSt is a capable opponent and has beaten some good teams. We beat them at their place, so they have a revenge factor and a hope of finishing at .500 in the ACC. Also the Burns body is trouble for our bigs. He hurt us in the first game. I am very hopeful for this victory meaning 11 of last 14 wins, but I am nervous. I just hope this team really focuses on the job at hand, and not anything outside of it.
It’s definitely not a gimme. We need the crowd to show up and pack the Pete to give a little extra juice.

Yeah, I’m always worried. There is definitely added pressure on these games with what is all ant stake and you just hope we don’t play like it.

We also kind of got lucky to beat them the first time because they missed a lot of free throws. It was like our loss to Syracuse, where we blew it at the foul line..

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The game means so much in relation to ACC tournament seed and NCAA possibility. Also, it is senior night, which normally is a motivation, but also can be distracting, especially honoring Blake and his record(s). NCSt is a capable opponent and has beaten some good teams. We beat them at their place, so they have a revenge factor and a hope of finishing at .500 in the ACC. Also the Burns body is trouble for our bigs. He hurt us in the first game. I am very hopeful for this victory meaning 11 of last 14 wins, but I am nervous. I just hope this team really focuses on the job at hand, and not anything outside of it. Then it is a matter of defending and hitting shots.

Yes. I think we win but NC State's players are about as good as ours. DJ Burns is tough but I wouldn't double him. Make him beat us on contested 2s. DJ Horne is one of the top 3 point shooters in the nation. Cant give him open looks where he makes like 6 of 9 3s.

And NC State has to feel they arent out of the NCAAT hunt. Their path isnt totally impossible.

- Beat Pitt
- Beat a lower team Wednesday
- Probably play UNC Thursday in a rivalry game. Need to win that.
- Beat UVa/Clem/Pitt/Wake Friday

So, inotherwords, they dont have to win the ACCT. Getting to the final, gives them 4 Q1 wins and a NET in the 60s.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
In Pitt’s 5 home losses, they averaged less than 61 points per game and hit 70 only once. Since Lowe began starting, Pitt has only lost once at home vs SU when they were 5-26 shooting threes. I can’t imagine that happening again but as a Pitt fan, always be nervous.

Yes, but I like our chances so long as we don't shoot it worse than usual and they don't shoot better than usual, which is basically always the case.

First game pretty much only Burns and Horne scored for them and Horne was crazy red hot. As long as Horne isn't red hot again I think Pitt wins comfortably.

Reactions: Black Panther
Yes. I think we win but NC State's players are about as good as ours. DJ Burns is tough but I wouldn't double him. Make him beat us on contested 2s. DJ Horne is one of the top 3 point shooters in the nation. Cant give him open looks where he makes like 6 of 9 3s.

And NC State has to feel they arent out of the NCAAT hunt. Their path isnt totally impossible.

- Beat Pitt

So, inotherwords, they dont have to win the ACCT. Getting to the final, gives them 4 Q1 wins and a NET in the 60s.
How many days in a row do they really think Burns can go?

Reactions: jctrack
How many days in a row do they really think Burns can go?

True but if Im an NC St fan, I think this is a winnable game. Win Saturday, win Wednesday then you are 2 games away. You get your rival, UNC, who you arent afraid of and play well against. They'd have a shot. Chances of a 4 game winning streak for NC St is about 1%, about the same as our NCAAT chances after the Syr loss.

Hell yeah. We beat them by 3 and played them tit for tat last time. Always a chance Burns just dominates Fede inside. They played UNC pretty competitively and got up on Duke early, so they've certainly not quit on the season.

We live and die by the 3 pointer: You should never have complete faith in us not being cold one night. Especially with it being senior night and a lateish tipoff.

Yes, no games are guarantees.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Yes

- Beat Pitt

Bro NC state is cooked lol they gotta win ACC tournament period. Beating Pitt is kinda irrelevant for them

If they lose in the ACC final, they'd be

NET 60
Q1 4-8
Q2 4-5
Q3 4-1
Q4 8-0

They'd certainly have a shot.
13 loss ACC team isn’t cutting it. Hell a 23-11 Pitt team has the potential of not even making it…. The bubble is way too inflated this year to even consider a team like NC State. I don’t think that will have any factor in the game Saturday… one team should be insanely motivated and the other semi going through the motions.

13 loss ACC team isn’t cutting it. Hell a 23-11 Pitt team has the potential of not even making it…. The bubble is way too inflated this year to even consider a team like NC State. I don’t think that will have any factor in the game Saturday… one team should be insanely motivated and the other semi going through the motions.

I don't think it will have much of a factor but I do believe that NC State players and fans feel that they are a 4 game winning streak away from having a decent shot of hearing their names on Selection Sunday.

Pitt will be favored at home on senior night with what will be a pretty good and boisterous crowd....As a Pitt fan since about 1974 or so I can say with authority that Pitt rarely has any surprises (good or bad) and their games go off at about a 99.874% outcome expectation rate....No need to worry.

Reactions: rooster75
No need to worry or be nervous, whatever happens the sun will rise tomorrow morning, you'll be fine.

No kidding Captain Obvious. This is a Pitt basketball board where people discuss……checks notes…..Pitt basketball. It was a rather innocent question.
I just find it funny that people "worry" about what will happen in a basketball game, I want Pitt to win and make the tournament as much as anyone, but I'm not going to "worry" about it.

Reactions: Pitt SuperFan Kudis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT