ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Palm updates his bowl picks

The Athletic ran an article??? LOL. There's 100 other articles that state otherwise. Its equal selection order for that top tier. If FSU wanted the Pinstripe or Sun Bowl, that's where they'd go.
Let's see one of those articles.

Right. Why on earth would you believe the people who actually talked to the bowls and the conferences when you can believe something that you are just making up? Are you really dumb enough to think that the bowls that are paying the ACC $6 million plus per year are not getting preference over the bowls that are paying the ACC $2 million per year? What do you think they are getting for that extra $4 million per year if it isn't access to the better teams?

They are paying that money because they are historically better bowls and want to stay that way. It buys influence but its not going to buy the team they want if that team doesn't want to go there. Lets say FSU's heart was set on going to El Paso for some stupid reason but Orlando badly wanted them. They'd be going to the Sun, assuming they'd be the Sun's 1st choice.

They are paying that money because they are historically better bowls and want to stay that way. It buys influence but its not going to buy the team they want if that team doesn't want to go there. Lets say FSU's heart was set on going to El Paso for some stupid reason but Orlando badly wanted them. They'd be going to the Sun, assuming they'd be the Sun's 1st choice.

Sometimes I think you dumb guy act is just that, an act. Other times I'm pretty sure it's not.

This is one of the latter.

Sometimes I think you dumb guy act is just that, an act. Other times I'm pretty sure it's not.

This is one of the latter.

Also, the ACC website disagrees with you. Another W for the 🐐

So to be clear, if FSU wanted to go to El Paso, you are saying they would be contractually prohibited if a higher tier bowl wanted them?

"Contractually prohibited"? That's an odd way to put it. FSU is "contractually required" to go to whatever bowl game the ACC tells them to go to. If they don't like it they can certainly complain, and they can make all the arguments they want. And maybe sometimes their arguments will hold sway. But that the end of the day FSU is "contractually prohibited" from playing in any bowl game other than the one that the ACC tells them they are going to play in.

"Contractually prohibited"? That's an odd way to put it. FSU is "contractually required" to go to whatever bowl game the ACC tells them to go to. If they don't like it they can certainly complain, and they can make all the arguments they want. And maybe sometimes their arguments will hold sway. But that the end of the day FSU is "contractually prohibited" from playing in any bowl game other than the one that the ACC tells them they are going to play in.

Nope. If they list the Sun 1st and the Sun lists them first, that's the bowl they go to.

No one is listing the Sun first, it’s going to be at the bottom of everyone’s list with the Fenway Bowl.
Even amongst the PAC programs I doubt anyone is pining for the Sun Bowl. Drivable for the Arizona schools but that’s about the only benefit.

I think this a lot of senseless bickering lol

There is no official selection order, like this Bowl then this Bowl etc. There is just not.

At the same time, unofficially, there is most certainly preference given to the more lucrative Bowl games. There just is, would be foolish to think otherwise. But the ACC is not just going to let the Gator Bowl take like NC State 3 times in 5 years if there is a comparable team available that has never been. In theory, this helps teams like Pitt but doesn't really change the fact that none of the top bowls are asking for Pitt. But like last year there was strong speculation that if Pitt lost the ACC-CG, the league was going to make sure they got Gator or Cheezit, who otherwise would have still passed on a 10 win Pitt team.

But like last year there was strong speculation that if Pitt lost the ACC-CG, the league was going to make sure they got Gator or Cheezit, who otherwise would have still passed on a 10 win Pitt team.

The ACC tries to "protect" the championship game loser from dropping.

I mean that isn't in the statement from the league so some people won't believe it, but it is never the less true.

Is SMF still under the delusion that the bowls who pay the ACC the most money do NOT get to pick first ?!?

Is SMF still under the delusion that the bowls who pay the ACC the most money do NOT get to pick first ?!?

He reads a press release that they put out and he thinks that's all there is to the story.

Like with the Pirates, Brian Reynolds asks to be traded and the Pirates put out a press release that says that they aren't going to do anything different even though he has requested a trade, and SMF fans to himself, well gee, that wouldn't make any sense at all, but it's in a press release so it must be true.

Then later on this week there will be reports out there from people at the winter meetings that the Pirates are listening to any and all offers for Reynolds and are trying to trade him and SMF is going to be saying to himself, well those people don't know what they are talking about. Didn't they read the press release?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT