ADVERTISEMENT

John Amaechi

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Ex PSU hooper from England. I don't remember, but I think he came out as gay. Very well spoken with that English accent obviously, but insightful and funny. Intelligent guy with alot of insight.

He was on the Dan LeBatard show on ESPN today, and they asked him about honoring Paterno and the who scandal mess.

I am paraphrasing but........Amaechi said that when he was there the football players always remarked if they cut a class in the AM, Paterno would call them into his office before practice and asked them why? How did he know? They also said on breaks or during the summer, even outside of State College, if they did something stupid, when they got back on campus that Paterno would summon them into his office and JoePa and knew about the incident. Somehow, he had a network, he had an idea of what was going on with anyone associated with the program. And that ALL of the PSU players always said that and actually admired him for that.

So...to think that same network was completely oblivious to Jerry Sandusky and those instances of where kids came forward or others saw, it is naive and foolish to think that JoePa had no clue.

When pressed, Amaechi brought up a somewhat rational explanation, in the fact you see this type of circle the wagons with Fraternity's, Club's, Family's, Politics and Sport's teams where they decide the greater good is worth preserving over these incidents. Now before you hammer this statement, just think about it, and what PSU football meant and means to Penn State and obviously it does not justify covering it up and not taking action, it is explainable on that level.

He does feel that PSU should not be doing this right now. It is hard to separate the football success from the crimes, and even though JoePa did not commit those crimes, he had the ability to stop them at some point.

I do remember him and you're correct. He actually spent a year or 2 in the NBA - Orlando I believe.

Very likable guy and probably as good a person to ask outside of the football team. Always struck me as well thought out and articulate. And agree - funny fellow as well.

Gonna see if I can find that on line anywhere.

One other thing he said, alot of players he talked to when he was there are upset because they were essentially "candy" to allure the kids into Jerry's sick world.

So now I guess that's smeone else for the Paternazis to hammer about sexual orientation. Or perhaps the angle is that the basketball players always resented the football program. Or . . .

Ex PSU hooper from England. I don't remember, but I think he came out as gay. Very well spoken with that English accent obviously, but insightful and funny. Intelligent guy with alot of insight.

He was on the Dan LeBatard show on ESPN today, and they asked him about honoring Paterno and the who scandal mess.

I am paraphrasing but........Amaechi said that when he was there the football players always remarked if they cut a class in the AM, Paterno would call them into his office before practice and asked them why? How did he know? They also said on breaks or during the summer, even outside of State College, if they did something stupid, when they got back on campus that Paterno would summon them into his office and JoePa and knew about the incident. Somehow, he had a network, he had an idea of what was going on with anyone associated with the program. And that ALL of the PSU players always said that and actually admired him for that.

So...to think that same network was completely oblivious to Jerry Sandusky and those instances of where kids came forward or others saw, it is naive and foolish to think that JoePa had no clue.

When pressed, Amaechi brought up a somewhat rational explanation, in the fact you see this type of circle the wagons with Fraternity's, Club's, Family's, Politics and Sport's teams where they decide the greater good is worth preserving over these incidents. Now before you hammer this statement, just think about it, and what PSU football meant and means to Penn State and obviously it does not justify covering it up and not taking action, it is explainable on that level.

He does feel that PSU should not be doing this right now. It is hard to separate the football success from the crimes, and even though JoePa did not commit those crimes, he had the ability to stop them at some point.
Joe Paterno was as powerful or possibly more powerful than The Godfather of the Mafia.

i agree with the above statement that paterno knew everything that went on. hunted with a former player, and he said he knew if he sneezed.

Of course he did. This was proclaimed from the mountain tops for years. Until the narrative had to change in order to be in line with the cult. He knew everything until it was convenient not to know - It was only the biggest scandal/crime spree to happen on a college campus.

Reactions: PittPanthers90

I could just imagine Amaechi literally living in terror everyday that someone was going to find out he was gay. That would have been tough enough at that time without him living in a cult.

reminds me of the scene in blazing saddles where Clevon Little dresses up in the KKK robe but gives it away when someone gets a glimpse of his arm.

Reactions: Saboteur
i agree with the above statement that paterno knew everything that went on. hunted with a former player, and he said he knew if he sneezed.
This goes along with what we've been saying since the story first broke. How can a guy who reportedly knew everything that happened in State College about his football team not know anything about "The Private World of Jerry Sandusky"? Especially when Sandusky had been reported to authorities and investigated years earlier?

We're supposed to believe that someone didn't pull Joe aside and say, "Hey Joe - we have something to tell you about your defensive coordinator, and you're not gonna like it......"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT