ADVERTISEMENT

Jurkovec

You can tell by watching him throw that there is more velocity on the ball than our other qbs & He is much taller. These are facts!

Whether he can read defenses and make split second decisions based on the play as it develops, is another question and only one way to find out!

Hey I hope Beville is the answer myself. But Really? We are talking about how someone performs in pregame warm ups?

I know that is what the rules state. Yet, Fields can leave his home state school and be eligible at Ohio State right away. Martell Tate can transfer from Ohio State to Miami because of Fields, and be eligible right away. Why can't an argument be made that someone wants to come back home?

Because Pitt is not a blue blood, while Ohio is. Miami used to be and are trying to get back there.

I'm sure you heard this story, but right around the same time Fields and Martell got their immediate playing time, a player trying to transfer to Va Tech because his Mom had an illness didn't get the waiver. Their reasoning.....Tech was 85 miles from his home, 5 miles past the limit! The NCAA also stated that his "mom was getting better" and that hardship should not grant him immediate playing time. The player wasn't very good and he wasn't going to a blue blood, so the NCAA used the "black and white" method for him. "No, look at the rules". Yet OSU needed a QB, so the NCAA can't afford one of their better teams to have a down year, "Yes, immediate playing time".

Hey I hope Beville is the answer myself. But Really? We are talking about how someone performs in pregame warm ups?
You can tell a lot by how the ball comes out and where it goes. And pitt-chains sees it up close.

I don’t understand what this is based on, we haven’t seen him play and he had a poor offer sheet for a P5 QB. Why would you think he’s any better than Patti who had very similar offers and at least we’ve got to see him play?

I hope one of those guys emerge, but at this point there’s no reason to think Beville is as good as Patti, or that either of them is as good as Pickett.
Well Duzz went out of his way to praise him in one of his press conferences. That doesn't happen much. I wish they would have played him some in one of the late games but he probably wasn't ready mentally. JMO but I look for some strong competition in the spring among the QBs.

I see zero, absolutely zero chance that Pickett is not the starter next season short of him being injured. Not saying that is how it should be. I honestly have no idea who is their best QB but I just don't see Duzz going away from a 3 year starter at that point.
the question is, will Whipple and Narduzzi wait til the first or second practice of spring ball to announce he's the starter?

Well Duzz went out of his way to praise him in one of his press conferences. That doesn't happen much. I wish they would have played him some in one of the late games but he probably wasn't ready mentally. JMO but I look for some strong competition in the spring among the QBs.

If I recall correctly he hyped up MacVittie too so...

the question is, will Whipple and Narduzzi wait til the first or second practice of spring ball to announce he's the starter?

I know this was said half joking but I am not sure he will even announce, talk much about or mention anything relating to QB position in regards to it being open for competition. I think he is convinced that Pickett is their best QB and I think he really believes that Pickett has played well so it really isn't even a question mark in his eyes who the starter is next year.

Personally, I don't think Pickett was terrible and I think there were bigger issues like drops, bad OL pass protection but Pickett was certainly part of the offenses problems. He misses way too many throws. He is simply an "ok" QB. Tough kid for sure but that position needs to be better unless you are going to surround him with a team of studs.

Those who bashed Narduzzi for blowing Pickett's redshirt are probably the same people glad Kenny is a senior and will be moving on after 2020.

Those who bashed Narduzzi for blowing Pickett's redshirt are probably the same people glad Kenny is a senior and will be moving on after 2020.

I don't think one has anything to do with the other. Whether a kid should or shouldn't have played as a true freshmen and whether a kid developed into a good player 3 years later have nothing to do with each other in my opinion.

I personally don't think he blew his redshirt either. I wish he would have used him more in certain situations earlier in that year though. He only gave him meaningful snaps the last two games.

I don't think one has anything to do with the other. Whether a kid should or shouldn't have played as a true freshmen and whether a kid developed into a good player 3 years later have nothing to do with each other in my opinion.

I personally don't think he blew his redshirt either. I wish he would have used him more in certain situations earlier in that year though. He only gave him meaningful snaps the last two games.

This.

And the decision to have Pickett take that snap at the end of his first game was still boneheaded. He ended up playing obviously but anyone could have taken a snap. They’d have then had a few days to properly evaluate everything.

Turned out not to matter but anyone could have and should have taken that last snap. Ended up not mattering but it could have. There was nothing to gain having Pickett take that snap.

You can tell a lot by how the ball comes out and where it goes. And pitt-chains sees it up close.

Are you being serious or trolling me? There are tons of people who have way way stronger arms than most D1 and even NFL QBs who never get anywhere close to that level. QB is way more mental than it is physical and you can never learn that by watching warmups. The most physically gifted QB i ever saw was Sto Rox Paul Jones who was rated 5 stars. There was literally no physical gift he didn't have. After leaving PSU he went to Robert Morris and struggled to get on the field there because despite every physical tool he had no mental tools.

Basically that was my long winded way of saying "It doesn't matter how great Beville looks in warmups. How does he look in scrimmages, since he hasn't taken a snap yet is way more important."

After leaving PSU he went to Robert Morris and struggled to get on the field there because despite every physical tool he had no mental tools.

Maybe. There are dumb QBs who do fine because their coaches make the offense easy for them. The main thing that I think PJ struggled with (I watched him a ton in high school) was mechanics. He never put together even the most rudimentary foot work and throwing mechanics to reliably just throw the damn ball. He would literally trip himself a couple times a game.

There are tons of people who have way way stronger arms than most D1 and even NFL QBs who never get anywhere close to that level."

Uncle Rico could throw the ball over them mountains and he didn't even make state.
file_35b8093659_original.jpg

Are you being serious or trolling me? There are tons of people who have way way stronger arms than most D1 and even NFL QBs who never get anywhere close to that level. QB is way more mental than it is physical and you can never learn that by watching warmups. The most physically gifted QB i ever saw was Sto Rox Paul Jones who was rated 5 stars. There was literally no physical gift he didn't have. After leaving PSU he went to Robert Morris and struggled to get on the field there because despite every physical tool he had no mental tools.

Basically that was my long winded way of saying "It doesn't matter how great Beville looks in warmups. How does he look in scrimmages, since he hasn't taken a snap yet is way more important."

Jones was dumber than a bag of rocks... that is the reason.

Well all I said was he looks better throwing the ball in warmups than the other QBs. I didn’t put him in the HOF based off of it.

It comes down to: Do you think at this moment if Jurkovic had 2 years starting for Pitt, would he be ahead of where Pickett is now?
I don’t know the answer, but I would think yes? Picketts last game against BC not included, he has had I would say a mediocre year

The Pitt advantage .
This should a huge selling point.
Another example of if Jurkovic had come to Pitt he would be moving along nicely.

Comparisons to pickett are irrelevant. Even if this highly unlikely scenario played out, he’d have to sit a year and would be competing with Patti and Neville in ‘21.

Well, the comparison is that Pickett will be starting 2020 as the QB1 for the third year in a row. You can argue whether one is better all day but one is playing and the other has a little more playing time than Rudy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT