ADVERTISEMENT

Jurkovec

Pittsburgh is notorious for embracing the dark lining to the silver cloud. Billy Conn would be forgotten if he hadn't "almost" beat Joe Louis. It's a place that is afraid to succeed but relishes being close.
I hate that mentality.

and those that do succeed, Pittsburghers feel the need to bring it down. Look at the overall animosity to UPMC, one of the biggest success stories ever out of Pittsburgh. Yet constantly vilified by the local media (actually one media, the Post Gazette)

The simplest answer is that according to the local media, Pitt is always wrong, even when it isn't.
Where in this article did it say that Pitt was wrong? The kid says he chose the best situation for himself.

Jurkovec sure made out with getting immediate eligibility and the COVID waiver for this season. I believe he can still play 4 season in BC now. Remains to be seen how good he actually is. I'm sure there had to a least be back channel conversations between him & Pitt when he wanted to transfer. Whether we 'offered' or not, there was probably enough communication for him to say he was considering Pitt a 2nd time and chose to go elsewhere, so I don't see a problem with his quotes. I am more curious how well he plays.

Jurkovec sure made out with getting immediate eligibility and the COVID waiver for this season. I believe he can still play 4 season in BC now. Remains to be seen how good he actually is. I'm sure there had to a least be back channel conversations between him & Pitt when he wanted to transfer. Whether we 'offered' or not, there was probably enough communication for him to say he was considering Pitt a 2nd time and chose to go elsewhere, so I don't see a problem with his quotes. I am more curious how well he plays.
4 more years? He was at ND for two years, played 5-6 games last year. im assuming he redshirted in 2019 so that makes him a redshirt sophomore..

and yes, lol, you are right, considering this year doesnt count. Still cant get my mind to accept this ruling.. what an absolute blessing and gift to these athletes..

How can you turn someone down a second time if you weren't offered? Or maybe he was, but I didn't think so after Yellen committed. 🤷‍♂️

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...ff-Hafley-Frank-Cignetti/stories/202009160110
He decided to transfer after he found out Book was coming back, why would he transfer here to sit behind Pickett? That quote about Pitt is annoying but whatever. I do have to laugh about the underdog comment though. When was that guy ever an underdog? lol

I don't hold a grudge against him for not going to Pitt the first or second time, but I do hope the defensive line beats his ass in a few weeks.

Not sure why all the hate. Not saying you have to love him or wish him well (that would be way too classy for too many people on this board), but not sure why the hate. This story should go to every kid playing HS football who has a chance to go to D1. Too many of these kids go to the dream school over the right school.

I call that the Ron Pawlus syndrome. He too was a top PA QB (I dare to say the most decorated HS QB of ALL Time still) who chose the dream school over the better fit school. He was as great of a classic QB as there was in HS. That was not what ND was back then under Holtz. Holtz loved his option offense and was going to force Pawlus into that no matter how square the peg was to the round hole. Pawlus did not develop there and by the time PGH native Bob Davie took over it was already too late for Pawlus, the damage to his confidence and game was done. had Pawlus have committed to a school that ran a more Pro Style offense of that time, I wonder if that would have lead to a more productive NFL career.

Circling back to Jurkovec and this article, all it is doing is telling the story of going to the dream school based solely on what is shown 7 Saturdays a year on NBC. That is not reality of being there. This is not just a ND thing either, thought they are probably the biggest benefactor of this. But any blueblood school has that "dream appeal". Kids commit to that dream, instead of committing to a system that fits their skill set better. Another example of this is Justin Zwick at Ohio State. Another great talent that went to the wrong fit. Look that story up also to see what I am talking about.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Not sure why all the hate. Not saying you have to love him or wish him well (that would be way too classy for too many people on this board), but not sure why the hate. This story should go to every kid playing HS football who has a chance to go to D1. Too many of these kids go to the dream school over the right school.

I call that the Ron Pawlus syndrome. He too was a top PA QB (I dare to say the most decorated HS QB of ALL Time still) who chose the dream school over the better fit school. He was as great of a classic QB as there was in HS. That was not what ND was back then under Holtz. Holtz loved his option offense and was going to force Pawlus into that no matter how square the peg was to the round hole. Pawlus did not develop there and by the time PGH native Bob Davie took over it was already too late for Pawlus, the damage to his confidence and game was done. had Pawlus have committed to a school that ran a more Pro Style offense of that time, I wonder if that would have lead to a more productive NFL career.

Circling back to Jurkovec and this article, all it is doing is telling the story of going to the dream school based solely on what is shown 7 Saturdays a year on NBC. That is not reality of being there. This is not just a ND thing either, thought they are probably the biggest benefactor of this. But any blueblood school has that "dream appeal". Kids commit to that dream, instead of committing to a system that fits their skill set better. Another example of this is Justin Zwick at Ohio State. Another great talent that went to the wrong fit. Look that story up also to see what I am talking about.
The issue for me is the fact that they mentioned Pitt. I don’t know if Pitt offered him. But why even mention Pitt. The stupid Pgh media doesn’t know how good they have it. Pitt is the last of the great eastern urban football schools.

The issue for me is the fact that they mentioned Pitt. I don’t know if Pitt offered him. But why even mention Pitt. The stupid Pgh media doesn’t know how good they have it. Pitt is the last of the great eastern urban football schools.

Pitt offered the first time (unless every recruiting website lied), not sure about the 2nd time. Jurkovec mentioned Pitt as being his 2nd favorite school so the PG (who I am not a fan of either) mentioned it.

Book is a good QB but not a great QB so Jurk must have known that the newer recruited QB ‘a behind him were better and destined to take over next year

If anyone should be pissed about that article it's Notre Dame. Pretty self serving article.... nothing was his fault, it was all on Notre Dame. Loved watching him play in HS, but I'm glad he's not here.

I hear what your saying but stop and think about it. Despite 4 and 5 star QB recruit after another, have any of them turned out to be stars? Not saying Jerkovec is right, but he may not be wrong.

If anyone should be pissed about that article it's Notre Dame. Pretty self serving article.... nothing was his fault, it was all on Notre Dame. Loved watching him play in HS, but I'm glad he's not here.

consider the source, Mike Blue & White. He definitely has his favorites, and Jurkovec, Lavar Arrington, etc can do no wrong in his eyes. Had to be ND's fault in developing, couldn't be that maybe it was something on him.

And of course ol Blue & white takes a subtle shot in the chat today by saying he feels Nakhi Johnson still has something to prove. Of course had he signed with PSU he would be an all time WPIAL great according to Mike

The kid mentioned Pitt, in a positive light, and of course the writer is going to include that in the article. There is nothing negative about Pitt in this entire piece.

Where in this article did it say that Pitt was wrong? The kid says he chose the best situation for himself.
Shake a tree in Pittsburgh and a study falls out. Town of very
I'm not sure I'm familiar with what you're talking about. There's a tendency to relish the glory days...for everything...but I don't know that I agree. Except for the Pirates. I think if that was the case, Pitt would be a lot more popular.
It's been my experience that when dealing with people born and raised in Pittsburgh that virtually every mention if success is met with a retort along the lines of "did you see where (insert noun here) almost blew it, should have won by more, is lucky that...". A massive inferiority complex.

Reactions: TFBaum
The kid mentioned Pitt, in a positive light, and of course the writer is going to include that in the article. There is nothing negative about Pitt in this entire piece.
So what. He states that Pitt offered twice per him. So it sounds like he rejected Pitt twice.

Shake a tree in Pittsburgh and a study falls out. Town of very

It's been my experience that when dealing with people born and raised in Pittsburgh that virtually every mention if success is met with a retort along the lines of "did you see where (insert noun here) almost blew it, should have won by more, is lucky that...". A massive inferiority complex.
I did a project at Pittsburgh largest corporation and I was embarrassed by how narrow minded the people are.

I did a project at Pittsburgh largest corporation and I was embarrassed by how narrow minded the people are.

You needed to do a study to realize that? You couldn't gather that just by reading this board including your comments and the person you are agreeing to comments?

Reactions: pittdan77
There are a few assholes that took shots at Pitt and Narduzzi in the comments section of the PPG article. Hope some here will respond to them.

Non issue. Pitt has 3 guys waiting to be the man. PJ obviously wanted a sure thing (who wouldn't). However, that said ....I have a feeling he wishes he signed with the Panthers originally and he might be the next year starter with a loaded defense in the wings. Good luck every game except against Pitt.

Reactions: Tanat

I agree- he isn’t a very sympathetic player.

I could care less how he does except when he plays Pitt and then I hope he does poorly

Jurkovec was a stud at Pine RIchland, extremely athletic for a kid his size. I wish him well except for when BC plays Pitt....which isn't very often anymore.

The OC he was stuck with at ND wasn't the guy who recruited him....and he's already gone from ND. What the hell, the kid wants to play and the coaches at ND like Book better.

Wish we would have got him, first time or now. Love of the Irish did us in. ☘️

Pickett has developed some, but Jerkovic is better right now. He’ll be in the NFL for sure.

Based on what, exactly?

Are you a member of the family? Close friend?
Probably a Pine-Richland Rams fan that saw DiNucci make the NFL after transferring.

But I do find any time someone says something on this board about a player having a future in the NFL, without much on-the-field proof to back up the claim, is a bit ridiculous. Listen, I root for all WPIAL guys and love to see them succeed in the NFL, but saying Jurkovec is NFL "for sure," or another post saying something about Kradel "no doubt" will be "playing on Sundays" after a great performance versus Austin Peay, does not strike me as credible.

Probably a Pine-Richland Rams fan that saw DiNucci make the NFL after transferring.

But I do find any time some says something on this board about someone having a future in the NFL, without much on-the-field proof to back up the claim, is a bit ridiculous. Listen, I root for all WPIAL guys and love to see them succeed in the NFL, but saying Jurkovec is NFL "for sure," or another post saying something about Kradel being an NFL guy after a great performance versus Austin Peay, does not strike me as credible.

Yea I’m not dumping on him. I’m mostly indifferent. But I have no hatred for him and I’m not hurt that he didn’t come to Pitt. If he makes it, fine. If not, whatever. I hope Pitt kicks his ass of course but otherwise I don’t know that I’ll even pay any attention.

I don’t know if he’ll be good at BC or make the NFL. And neither does anyone else at the moment. Haven’t seen anything other than a few mop up snaps spread over half a dozen games.

And not only Kradel - it’s everyone in relation to AP. It’s good that Pitt handled their business but I don’t think there’s anything to be determined on how good anyone is based on playing that bum squad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tanat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT