ADVERTISEMENT

Just curious, IF Pitt were to beat psu on September 9, 2017...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
would you consider that upset to be more meaningful to the Pitt football program then the 13-9 victory over WVU or the Pitt 43-42 victory over Clemson?

I don't consider the 13-9 win significant in the least. Actually embarrassing that some pitt fans consider playing spoiler and finishing with 5 wins as significant.

With that said, I still wouldn't put it in same category as the Clemson game. We beat the national championship team at their place. The only team to do so.

If it were later in the season, like the last game like 13-9 was, then potentially. But nothing can ever top the fact that all WVU needed to do was beat one of the worst Pitt teams in the last few decades on their home field, and they couldn't do it.

No... Clemson was ranked #2 and went on to beat Alabama to win the National Championship. When the smoke clears, PSU won't even sniff that...

Reactions: Saboteur
If it were later in the season, like the last game like 13-9 was, then potentially. But nothing can ever top the fact that all WVU needed to do was beat one of the worst Pitt teams in the last few decades on their home field, and they couldn't do it.
That Pitt team underachieved that year, but had some talent. They should have beaten WV by even more in that game.

That Pitt team was bad at QB and that was all. That 2007 team would have beaten every Pitt team from the 1990s and even Foge's last two teams.

Reactions: Saboteur
Beating eventual NC Clemson at Death Valley to beat the Tigers for the 1st time at home in 3 years FSU beat them in 2013) was the hardest achievement IMO.

"hardest" is one thing. "Most meaningful" is a whole another thing. This would be much, much more meaningful of a win than the Clemson win. The Clemson win was great, but honestly what did it do for the program? We barely pulled in 40K the next week, we went to the Pinstripe Bowl (and lost) and didn't get all of these recruits because of it. Hell, we didn't even cost Clemson a national title. In the end, it was a nice win, a nice achievement, a nice memory. That's it. That's the list.

Beating PSU 2 years in a row, up there, when they are such huge favorites would be so much more meaningful to this program.

Reactions: Las Panteras
List the injuries that year and years of experience that team had an ask yourself if they underachieved..

I don't know what that has to do with the price of tea in China, but Pitt should have beaten WVU by more in that game. I am not talking on paper (talent wise) I am talking performance. Pitt was shorthanded all game. WVU had the refs in their pocket.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
List the injuries that year and years of experience that team had an ask yourself if they underachieved..
MSU - Pitt blew the game. That was the game Turner dropped an easy TD. We lost by 4.
Navy - Idiotic play calling at the goal line. Enough said. We lost by 3 in 2 OT.
Rutgers - We lost by 4 at their place. Bad coaching and missed opportunities by the players.

MSU - Pitt blew the game. That was the game Turner dropped an easy TD. We lost by 4.
Navy - Idiotic play calling at the goal line. Enough said. We lost by 3 in 2 OT.
Rutgers - We lost by 4 at their place. Bad coaching and missed opportunities by the players.

Louisville. Fumble by McCoy as we were driving. Plus was that horrible offensive pass interference call against Rutgers or Louisville I forget which one? But yeah, all 4 of those games could have been wins

would you consider that upset to be more meaningful to the Pitt football program then the 13-9 victory over WVU or the Pitt 43-42 victory over Clemson?

Absolutely not. I wouldn't even call it much of an upset. I think we have enough talent now that in no way will be over matched. They should be favored because it is at their place but not by the ridiculous 17 points predicted before anyone has seen this year's teams play a single down.

I believe w/o the suspensions and dismissals I was thinking PITT all the way.

I have no idea how we win now missing a DT,OT, DE, Whitehead, LB, and the Tipton injury doesn't help! One superstar, experienced seniors, and other good players.
Same for the Cowboys OSU. These are " all hands on deck games" but some of the team didn't get the we're a team memo or doesnt understand the meaning of team!

I put that one on Narduzzi and the coaching staff!

Last edited:
Conference wins will always outweigh non-conference wins.

WVU and Clemson are at least in the discussion.

Your guys jealousy and hatred of Penn State is clouding your minds. This would be bigger. It would be an upset. We were an 8-5 team who lost to lousy Northwestern last year in a bowl game who lost alot of key guys to graduation and suspensions/dismissals, PSU is a 11-3 team returning almost everyone, ranked in the preseason top 10, kicking our ass in recruiting. We beat PSU, we shut them up. Simple as that. We ruin their season. We bolster ours. We inject excitement and alot of really good local media love which we starve to get.

It gives Narduzzi to go into any living room in PA and say "I am better than him", "we are better than they are". End of story. We already seen the WVU win and Clemson win just led to more mediocrity.

You guys overvalue these games in regards to recruiting. No high school recruit is picking a college solely based on who won or lost when they were in high school.

You guys overvalue these games in regards to recruiting. No high school recruit is picking a college solely based on who won or lost when they were in high school.

as opposed to overvalueing the WVU and Clemson wins? What is different about this program since those wins. Ordinarily I agree with you here, but all of the positive, schlurping of Franklin and Penn State this past season and offseason and the dark clouds around our program. It is not an imperative win like last year was, but I think to win this year would be so much more meaningful as far as long term ramifications.

Reactions: paschuler1970
I don't consider the 13-9 win significant in the least. Actually embarrassing that some pitt fans consider playing spoiler and finishing with 5 wins as significant.

With that said, I still wouldn't put it in same category as the Clemson game. We beat the national championship team at their place. The only team to do so.
I was a lot of things after 13-9 but embarrassed certainly wasn't one of them. If we beat the nits in September I will be ecstatic and leave what the victory means for others to describe.

as opposed to overvalueing the WVU and Clemson wins? What is different about this program since those wins. Ordinarily I agree with you here, but all of the positive, schlurping of Franklin and Penn State this past season and offseason and the dark clouds around our program. It is not an imperative win like last year was, but I think to win this year would be so much more meaningful as far as long term ramifications.
I'm on record as that wvu game being nothing more than good for a quick laugh screwing up wvu's NC hopes, that's it.

Regarding Clemson, beating a team like then on national TV was very big as far as getting the program some recognition.

I'm on record as that wvu game being nothing more than good for a quick laugh screwing up wvu's NC hopes, that's it.

Regarding Clemson, beating a team like then on national TV was very big as far as getting the program some recognition.

I will also counter that it was mitigated somewhat by Iowa beating Michigan later that night. If say Pitt went into the Clemson game 9-2, then yes the results would have been much more tangible as far as the program is concerned. As for national recognition, we got like truly, 15 minutes of fame.

I will also counter that it was mitigated somewhat by Iowa beating Michigan later that night. If say Pitt went into the Clemson game 9-2, then yes the results would have been much more tangible as far as the program is concerned. As for national recognition, we got like truly, 15 minutes of fame.
Well no one win alone will elevate a program by itself. Here is a question, what win gave us more recognition last year? Clemson or psu? Locally and nationally? I'd say Clemson by a lot. Definitely nationally without a doubt and surprisingly even locally.

The wvu game doesn't even belong in this conversation.

"hardest" is one thing. "Most meaningful" is a whole another thing. This would be much, much more meaningful of a win than the Clemson win. The Clemson win was great, but honestly what did it do for the program? We barely pulled in 40K the next week, we went to the Pinstripe Bowl (and lost) and didn't get all of these recruits because of it. Hell, we didn't even cost Clemson a national title. In the end, it was a nice win, a nice achievement, a nice memory. That's it. That's the list.

Beating PSU 2 years in a row, up there, when they are such huge favorites would be so much more meaningful to this program.

Everyone keeps mentioning the attendance after the Clemson game. That Duke game meant nothing. No chance of an ACC playoff, basically just to salvage a decent season. If there isn't some type of thing hanging on the balance, most casual fans in Pittsburgh aren't going to come out just to welcome the team back after a great win.

Anytime you beat a rival even though the nitters don't consider us rivals that would be a great thing. The so called Pitt fans only worry about the attendance.

Rich Rod sure coached his butt off in the 13-9 game!!!In the end he got what he wanted Michigan.

Your guys jealousy and hatred of Penn State is clouding your minds. This would be bigger. It would be an upset. We were an 8-5 team who lost to lousy Northwestern last year in a bowl game who lost alot of key guys to graduation and suspensions/dismissals, PSU is a 11-3 team returning almost everyone, ranked in the preseason top 10, kicking our ass in recruiting. We beat PSU, we shut them up. Simple as that. We ruin their season. We bolster ours. We inject excitement and alot of really good local media love which we starve to get.

It gives Narduzzi to go into any living room in PA and say "I am better than him", "we are better than they are". End of story. We already seen the WVU win and Clemson win just led to more mediocrity.

And your mind is clouded as well because it's Penn State. Beating the #2 team on the road that went on to win the national championship will be hard to beat.

IF we beat Penn State, we won't know the magnitude of the win until AFTER the season. In 1984 Pitt had a pre-season rank of #3. They lost to BYU the first game of the season. It was considered a HUGE upset at the time. Pitt went on to have a 3-7-1 record. How big of an upset was it for BYU? Not much...

IF we beat PSU and they go on to win the national championship then I would say yes, it will have been a bigger victory. IF we beat PSU and they somehow finish 7-6, then it was a nice victory against a hated rival, but nothing more...

Rapists (which includes their current coach and school president, let's remember) deserve bad things happen to them. Maybe not as bad as what I wrote ... Maybe ... more because if that were to happen, it would be a failure of homeland security...
Winning football games is the only thing that ever mattered and will matter in State College. That is crystal clear.

In 1984 Pitt had a pre-season rank of #3. They lost to BYU the first game of the season. It was considered a HUGE upset at the time. Pitt went on to have a 3-7-1 record. How big of an upset was it for BYU? Not much...

It might not have been much of an upset in retrospect, but it is a large reason why BYU won the national championship that season. Maybe even the biggest reason.

I would. Pitt's offense last year could score on anyone and Clemson had struggled before the Pitt game, as they probably should have lost to NC State. So the game being close didn't shock me.

Everyone expects PSU to obliterate Pitt, so I would legitimately be shocked if Pitt were to beat this Penn State team on their home field, as IMO they have superior talent and are looking for revenge in this rivalry game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT