ADVERTISEMENT

Just curious, IF Pitt were to beat psu on September 9, 2017...

MSU - Pitt blew the game. That was the game Turner dropped an easy TD. We lost by 4.
Navy - Idiotic play calling at the goal line. Enough said. We lost by 3 in 2 OT.
Rutgers - We lost by 4 at their place. Bad coaching and missed opportunities by the players.
Rutgers was the big east refs at their finest. Bostick actually threw the game winning TD pass to turner. Turner was able to haul in the pass despite interference from the defender. Flag is thrown, just decline it and take the the points. Nope, the flag was on pitt.

If we beat psu, on sept. 10 it's nothing more than a big win over cow pasture U. How big of a victory that would be in comparison to wvu, clemson, and even psu last season depends on how their and/or our season goes.

And your mind is clouded as well because it's Penn State. Beating the #2 team on the road that went on to win the national championship will be hard to beat.

IF we beat Penn State, we won't know the magnitude of the win until AFTER the season. In 1984 Pitt had a pre-season rank of #3. They lost to BYU the first game of the season. It was considered a HUGE upset at the time. Pitt went on to have a 3-7-1 record. How big of an upset was it for BYU? Not much...

IF we beat PSU and they go on to win the national championship then I would say yes, it will have been a bigger victory. IF we beat PSU and they somehow finish 7-6, then it was a nice victory against a hated rival, but nothing more..

Which is essentially is all the Clemson win was. Nothing more.

I don't consider the 13-9 win significant in the least. Actually embarrassing that some pitt fans consider playing spoiler and finishing with 5 wins as significant.

With that said, I still wouldn't put it in same category as the Clemson game. We beat the national championship team at their place. The only team to do so.
knocking a heated rival out of the freaking national championship...on the road, at night, as a 28 point underdog... not significant? uh, um, ok.... dude, are you actually saying you had more pure unadulterated joy and goosebumps after the Clemson game than you did after the 13-9 game? I'm not embarrassed in the least and as far as "signifcance" goes what did the Clemson win mean for Pitt? A trip to Yankee stadium?

Reactions: Pitt0912
knocking a heated rival out of the freaking national championship...on the road, at night, as a 28 point underdog... not significant? uh, um, ok.... dude, are you actually saying you had more pure unadulterated joy and goosebumps after the Clemson game than you did after the 13-9 game?
Absolutely, without a doubt. I question anyone that felt better going 5-7 than beating Clemson.

I love the brawl don't get me wrong. I'll go so far as to say I felt much better after the 97 game where we won in triple OT. I was at that game, was incredible. That win meant something. You guys are taking way to much enjoyment playing spoiler.

Absolutely, without a doubt. I question anyone that felt better going 5-7 than beating Clemson.

I love the brawl don't get me wrong. I'll go so far as to say I felt much better after the 97 game where we won in triple OT. I was at that game, was incredible. That win meant something. You guys are taking way to much enjoyment playing spoiler.
once again, what did the 97 game mean? yeah, it was a great game. three days after my son was born. carrying him around and shaking him as the game went on. kid has been kinda on the dumb side ever since, but come on dude, we knocked a bitter rival out of the national championship. I will not believe any Pitt fan would find a game short of a national championship of a major bowl win that brought as much joy.

once again, what did the 97 game mean? yeah, it was a great game. three days after my son was born. carrying him around and shaking him as the game went on. kid has been kinda on the dumb side ever since, but come on dude, we knocked a bitter rival out of the national championship. I will not believe any Pitt fan would find a game short of a national championship of a major bowl win that brought as much joy.
lol, funny comment about your son. well done. That game got us into a bowl, yeah the liberty bowl isn't exactly the sugar bowl but it got us a bowl. It was a huge game for a program that was a year from this abortion

Which is essentially is all the Clemson win was. Nothing more.

We keep moving the goal posts... The question was if we beat PSU, would it be a bigger upset than beating WVU in 2007 or Clemson in 2016. Period. It wasn't about what impact it would have on the program. That depends on what Pitt does the rest of the season. In that case, we haven't had a victory over a ranked opponent that impacted the program since the 1982 Sugar Bowl...

If we beat PSU and they go on to win the national championship the win would be as meaningless as beating Clemson if we finish 8-5, correct? Can't disagree with that.

It has nothing to do with jealousy...

If we beat psu, on sept. 10 it's nothing more than a big win over cow pasture U. How big of a victory that would be in comparison to wvu, clemson, and even psu last season depends on how their and/or our season goes.

BINGO! We have a winner!!!!!!

Reactions: Pittx9

Agree completely the 97 game was a greater feeling, since it secured a very unlikely bowl bid. The 13-9 win was the biggest outright upset but really made me feel as angry as it did happy. Angry that the coaches never had coached that marvelous defensive scheme before and that the players had never played so inspired, and that this great win didn't mean anything other than a roadblock for WVU, which is fun but doesn't last long, and also underscored that WVU was in that tremendous position in the first place.

There was a big difference in the way the Clemson & WVU game played out.

WVU had crushed Pitt the two previous years. (putting up 45 pts each game) The Hoopies were ready to party & were expected to roll to an easy win and on to the National Championship game in a prime time game on Championship Saturday. Pitt physically whipped WVU's ass and totally dominated the last 2.5 quarters of the game.

Clemson was a great win. The National Champs only loss speaks for itself. I didn't find the way it played out near as satisfying as the WVU game. Clemson had played down to their competition several times last year, and at the end of the day, if they hadn't shown such disrespect for Pitt and totally trashed the textbook for situational football late in the 4th, they would have won. A great win & Pitt had to make plays to capitalize on Dabo's stupidity, but that was a defeat the Tigers snatched from the jaws of victory.

In hindsight, the PSU game last year is worthy to at least be in the discussion. It's hard to imagine that Washington gets in the playoff ahead of the Nits had PSU won that game. Neither team was viewed as anything more than mediocre going in & the game didn't get a whole lot of national pub, despite being played on a Saturday with a horrible set of matchups. Perhaps that's why it isn't mentioned as often? Or is it because most people thought Pitt had a better than 50/50 chance of winning going in?

IMO, its a lot harder to get a read on the impact of game played so early in the season. I don't think it will have much, if any impact on recruiting either way, although a win can only be a positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: upj87 and PITTLAW
We keep moving the goal posts... The question was if we beat PSU, would it be a bigger upset than beating WVU in 2007 or Clemson in 2016. Period. It wasn't about what impact it would have on the program. That depends on what Pitt does the rest of the season. In that case, we haven't had a victory over a ranked opponent that impacted the program since the 1982 Sugar Bowl...

If we beat PSU and they go on to win the national championship the win would be as meaningless as beating Clemson if we finish 8-5, correct? Can't disagree with that.

It has nothing to do with jealousy...

It depends what the program does with it. If we beat PSU, lose to OSU and GT and home and go onto a 7-5 mark? No. We beat PSU, go on to a 9-3 or better year while PSU struggles and we make some head way into their recruiting. Then it is much, much bigger than the others.

It depends what the program does with it. If we beat PSU, lose to OSU and GT and home and go onto a 7-5 mark? No. We beat PSU, go on to a 9-3 or better year while PSU struggles and we make some head way into their recruiting. Then it is much, much bigger than the others.

I agree with your analysis...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT