ADVERTISEMENT

KDKA's Bob Pompeani attacks Pitt on the Cam issue!!!

What is clear is that NCAA rules state Pitt has to grant him his release. They did, with the stipulation that he can't go to an ACC school and play next year. As far as the NCAA is concerned he can play next year.... if he gets his release from Pitt. Can Pitt impose this stipulation? I'm guessing they can, or they wouldn't fight it.

Cam's not helping himself with the circus he created.
How has Cam hurt himself?

Ok so what is it exactly that we are debating again. The only thing that is clear is that it is completely unclear.

When the NCAA has a stated stance but allows conferences and schools to deviate from that stance and some conferences due expressly deviate from the NCAA stated stance, it is one giant gray area as to what can be enforced. But you and your buddy Vance can continue to act like it is crystal clear.

The only thing absolutely clear is that the big giant gray area will get cleared up sooner than later. It wasn't a problem as little as 3-4 years ago when the # of grad transfers was minimal (less than 20 or 30 if I'm remembering the # correctly) but is a problem now that the # is well into the hundreds.

What is your source on the number of grad transfers? Not challenging it, just would like to see the list.

The one limiting factor is that a player has to actually graduate to grad transfer. Maybe schools will red shirt less. That's one way to combat it. That's likely why Luther isn't leaving.

What is your source on the number of grad transfers? Not challenging it, just would like to see the list.

The one limiting factor is that a player has to actually graduate to grad transfer. Maybe schools will red shirt less. That's one way to combat it. That's likely why Luther isn't leaving.

It's ironic to bemoan the rise of the grad transfer during an offseason where our coach has offered just about every single grad transfer on the market.

The NCAA allows the institution the right to create their own blocks for transfers. The NCAA and ACC themself allow grad transfers to anywhere with no time sitting out.

Pitt is just using the option to create their own limitation as allowed by the NCAA.

Ok so that back to my original point, shame on the NCAA, the Conferences, or whoever for having a transfer rule with so many gray areas.It should be a black and white rule that all schools follow whether you are in ACC, Big 10 or some small conference like the Sun Belt.

It should be a standard rule across the board for any school in the NCAA with all schools following the same rule, same process. Individual schools should not be able to "create their own limitations" unless it is part of the rules that all schools follow.

Rule should simply be:
-Grad transfers can transfer ANYWHERE they want without restrictions, without interference from the school they are leaving.

Or if you want some restrictions it should be something like

-Grad transfers can transfer anywhere they want outside of the conference they just played in with no penalty of sitting out.

And so on.

Reactions: NTOP
It's ironic to bemoan the rise of the grad transfer during an offseason where our coach has offered just about every single grad transfer on the market.
who's bemoaning the rise of the grad transfer? All I'm pointing out is why it is such a large issue now compared to just a few short years ago. And given the current differences or conflicting rules/stances/guidelines between overall NCAAA, individual conferences and schools, there's no doubt that will all get sorted out sooner rather than later because of the rise in volume.

Well, you never know what you can believe unless it's from the direct source, but there may be at least one he didn't offer - Geno Thorpe.

It should be a standard rule across the board for any school in the NCAA with all schools following the same rule, same process. Individual schools should not be able to "create their own limitations" unless it is part of the rules that all schools follow.

Rule should simply be:
-Grad transfers can transfer ANYWHERE they want without restrictions, without interference from the school they are leaving.

That is the rule. How is this so hard to understand? Cam can transfer anywhere he wants, including in the ACC, as far as the NCAA is concerned.

Below is the excerpt from the article, for men's Div 1 BB, 15 in 2011 to 68 in 2015 and 108 in 2016. Looks to be an even larger rise in men's Div 1 FB.

The below also discusses which of the conferences do or don't place a restriction on grad transfers regardless of the ncaa's stated exemption but I find this part to be a little confusing or conflicting. I say this because it seems to suggest that the B10 and Pac-12 don't have the grad transfer exemption. However, I know there have been at least a couple cases with Michigan allowing or receiving intra-conference grad transfers. If true, that would suggest that the conferences and schools aren't willing to go through the process to enforce their stated restriction, either due to perception, media pressures, expected legal outcome, etc. In this regard, I'd say it's no different that the current Pitt-Cam situation.

Limitations on graduate transfers come at a time in which the number of them have increased significantly. Due to a litany of factors, including the opportunity to earn credit hours over the summer and getting the financial aid to do so, Division I athletes are graduating at a faster rate, as the NCAA’s graduation success rate in 2016 reached its highest point since the organization began tracking it. With a degree in hand and competitive eligibility remaining, some have turned to a rule that allows them to continue playing if they enroll in a graduate or second degree program. Under those same guidelines, they can transfer to another school without having to redshirt a season, as a traditional transfer does.

It’s an arrangement that has been beneficial both to players and the programs to which they flock. Not surprisingly, the popularity has grown. In 2011, according to an NCAA study, there were 15 Division I graduate transfers in men’s basketball and 17 in football. By 2015, those numbers jumped to 68 and 108, respectively. Last year, according to a list compiled by ESPN, there were 108 graduate transfers in Division I men’s basketball alone.

With no NCAA rule in place prohibiting the restriction of graduate transfer destinations, beyond permission-to-contact mandates, conferences and schools have enacted their own measures. From there, legislation varies.

The ACC exempts those with baccalaureate degrees from its intra-conference transfer rules, which require players not only to sit out a year, but lose a year of competitive eligibility. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have the same stipulations as the ACC, only without a graduate transfer exemption. Big 12 graduate transfers can move within the conference without penalty as long as they meet NCAA requirements. In the Big East, transferring within the conference in men’s and women’s basketball is forbidden, even for athletes who have graduated.

Beyond a conference’s guidelines, individual institutions can implement their own rules, a designation that has led Pitt and Johnson into their present stalemate. Pitt’s policy — which was applied to Johnson and Rozelle Nix, a 6-foot-11 center who transferred to South Alabama in May — was crafted by members of the athletic department, the faculty athletic representative and the office of general counsel and is subject to periodic audits from the university and the ACC.

Last edited:
Reactions: KiwiJeff
Below is the excerpt from the article, for men's Div 1 BB, 15 in 2011 to 68 in 2011 and 108 in 2016. Looks to be an even larger rise in men's Div 1 FB.

The below also discusses which of the conferences do or don't place a restriction on grad transfers regardless of the ncaa's stated exemption but I find this part to be a little confusing or conflicting. I say this because it seems to suggest that the B10 and Pac-12 don't have the grad transfer exemption. However, I know there have been at least a couple cases with Michigan allowing or receiving intra-conference grad transfers. If true, that would suggest that the conferences and schools aren't willing to go through the process to enforce their stated restriction, either due to perception, media pressures, expected legal outcome, etc. In this regard, I'd say it's no different that the current Pitt-Cam situation.

Limitations on graduate transfers come at a time in which the number of them have increased significantly. Due to a litany of factors, including the opportunity to earn credit hours over the summer and getting the financial aid to do so, Division I athletes are graduating at a faster rate, as the NCAA’s graduation success rate in 2016 reached its highest point since the organization began tracking it. With a degree in hand and competitive eligibility remaining, some have turned to a rule that allows them to continue playing if they enroll in a graduate or second degree program. Under those same guidelines, they can transfer to another school without having to redshirt a season, as a traditional transfer does.

It’s an arrangement that has been beneficial both to players and the programs to which they flock. Not surprisingly, the popularity has grown. In 2011, according to an NCAA study, there were 15 Division I graduate transfers in men’s basketball and 17 in football. By 2015, those numbers jumped to 68 and 108, respectively. Last year, according to a list compiled by ESPN, there were 108 graduate transfers in Division I men’s basketball alone.

With no NCAA rule in place prohibiting the restriction of graduate transfer destinations, beyond permission-to-contact mandates, conferences and schools have enacted their own measures. From there, legislation varies.

The ACC exempts those with baccalaureate degrees from its intra-conference transfer rules, which require players not only to sit out a year, but lose a year of competitive eligibility. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have the same stipulations as the ACC, only without a graduate transfer exemption. Big 12 graduate transfers can move within the conference without penalty as long as they meet NCAA requirements. In the Big East, transferring within the conference in men’s and women’s basketball is forbidden, even for athletes who have graduated.

Beyond a conference’s guidelines, individual institutions can implement their own rules, a designation that has led Pitt and Johnson into their present stalemate. Pitt’s policy — which was applied to Johnson and Rozelle Nix, a 6-foot-11 center who transferred to South Alabama in May — was crafted by members of the athletic department, the faculty athletic representative and the office of general counsel and is subject to periodic audits from the university and the ACC.
Thanks, very interesting read.

This is an NCAA issue for one. Two, as petty as Pitt may look, how does cam not look worse? It really looks like cam did this to hurt Pitt as much as possible. The team that welcomed him aboard when nobody else even gave a second's thought about him, and he puts them in this situation. He could've went to Kentucky, Arizona, or anywhere else, anywhere else.

If Pitt caves on this stallings should be fired immediately. I'm not siding with the NCAA over the players at all, not in any shape or form. But if that's how the rules are, Pitt has to do what's best for Pitt. If cam couldn't even not screw over Pitt as much as possible when he left, why should Pitt "do the right thing?"

For the record, transfer rules should not be as strict. But Pitt is doing what anyone else in America would do. If they give in on this they might as well admit, "we don't care, we're probably not gonna win a game this season and we're content with that."

That is the rule. How is this so hard to understand? Cam can transfer anywhere he wants, including in the ACC, as far as the NCAA is concerned.

That is not the rule in terms of being straightforward black and white rule. The rule allows schools and conferences to add stipulations to transfer. You are either being argumentative or just blatantly ignoring the part where schools can add stipulations.

My point is clear the rules should be black and white so that schools do not have the options of putting on stipulations to the grad transfers. The NCAA should not allow individual schools/conferences to have the option to add anything above the NCAA rules. This will level the playing field and have the entire NCAA following the same rules, same stipulations where today some conferences prevent transferring within conference, some don't etc...

This is an NCAA issue for one. Two, as petty as Pitt may look, how does cam not look worse? It really looks like cam did this to hurt Pitt as much as possible. The team that welcomed him aboard when nobody else even gave a second's thought about him, and he puts them in this situation. He could've went to Kentucky, Arizona, or anywhere else, anywhere else.

If Pitt caves on this stallings should be fired immediately. I'm not siding with the NCAA over the players at all, not in any shape or form. But if that's how the rules are, Pitt has to do what's best for Pitt. If cam couldn't even not screw over Pitt as much as possible when he left, why should Pitt "do the right thing?"

For the record, transfer rules should not be as strict. But Pitt is doing what anyone else in America would do. If they give in on this they might as well admit, "we don't care, we're probably not gonna win a game this season and we're content with that."
Personally, I doubt he picked UNC to stick it to Pitt. He likely picked it because of fit, playing time, location, or the exemplary grad program. If he really wanted to stick it to Pitt, he would have gone to TCU.

Personally, I doubt he picked UNC to stick it to Pitt. He likely picked it because of fit, playing time, location, or the exemplary grad program. If he really wanted to stick it to Pitt, he would have gone to TCU.

I would've been more annoyed if he had gone to Arizona than UNC.

That is true. I don't think he wanted to "stick it to Pitt". I just don't think he liked stallings or whatever it was and this was a way to make it look like stallings and Pitt are evil, which seems to be working if you listen to the media right now.

That is true. I don't think he wanted to "stick it to Pitt". I just don't think he liked stallings or whatever it was and this was a way to make it look like stallings and Pitt are evil, which seems to be working if you listen to the media right now.
That would be sticking it to Pitt. Maybe you are right though. Stallings alienated him to the point of Cam hating Pitt. Great.

Reactions: Pittx9

Pitt only "looks bad" with good ole boy ACC old-school shills and the anti-Pitt local media looking to grind its heels into Pitt on anything it can. They'd all be totally silent (or rip the player and Pitt) if it were the opposite. All of them can fry in hell, especially the latter.

That would be sticking it to Pitt. Maybe you are right though. Stallings alienated him to the point of Cam hating Pitt. Great.
Without knowing what went on in practices and behind closed doors, what on the surface is there to cause Cam to hate Stallings or Pitt so much. If you think about it, not only did Pitt/Jamie give Cam a great opportunity when he had minimal other initial opportunities, but if anything, Stallings last year gave him even greater opportunities to grow and shine. He seemed to be a very integral part of the offense along with Young and Artis, appeared to have a green light to shoot whenever and on more than one occasion had the end-of-game play designed to go to him. He unfortunately never converted on any of those given game-winning opportunities.

So unless he had some very deep and loyal relationships with some of the now departed players, why would he hate Stallings so much? Can't it just be that he's moving on because he likes the opportunity of winning more than a hatred of Stallings?

Also, given that he's chosen to force the issue and go to UNC against Pitt'wishes, I don't think loyalty is one of his stronger traits. So loyalty to his old teammates isn't likely to be a reason for him hating Stallings.

Reactions: pitt2533
Without knowing what went on in practices and behind closed doors, what on the surface is there to cause Cam to hate Stallings or Pitt so much. If you think about it, not only did Pitt/Jamie give Cam a great opportunity when he had minimal other initial opportunities, but if anything, Stallings last year gave him even greater opportunities to grow and shine. He seemed to be a very integral part of the offense along with Young and Artis, appeared to have a green light to shoot whenever and on more than one occasion had the end-of-game play designed to go to him. He unfortunately never converted on any of those given game-winning opportunities.

So unless he had some very deep and loyal relationships with some of the now departed players, why would he hate Stallings so much? Can't it just be that he's moving on because he likes the opportunity of winning more than a hatred of Stallings?

Also, given that he's chosen to force the issue and go to UNC against Pitt'wishes, I don't think loyalty is one of his stronger traits. So loyalty to his old teammates isn't likely to be a reason for him hating Stallings.

Agree, I don't think he is leaving because he hates Stallings. I think his dad comments echo what he thinks in that he did not want to be part of a rebuild. Maybe I am naive but I take that as the truth. To me this is a simple as Johnson wanting to play for a team that has a chance at playing for something meaningful during his next two seasons.

Stallings allowed Johnson to develop and improve his game his role his production and so on from his first year playing to last season. He want from a bottom dweller to a focal point in the offense under Stallings.

I didn't suggest that's what was happening, I just responded to a guy who suggested it might have happened. You never know with people. Especially young people.

How many of these grad transfers allowed to play immediately had two years eligibility left?

That's a serious question.
Nate Peterman comes to mind. But few kids, let alone kids playing P5 sports, graduate in 3 years. Pretty rare, I'm sure.....and most wouldn't be as coveted as Cam turned out to be. When the Champ goes to these lengths to recruit you, it's different.

Reactions: bobfree

I think he thought his shot at a title was best at UNC. And it's certainly at a high level academically. Stanford and Northwestern aren't powers.

Well yeah that's true. I was just specifying because I don't think if Jamie were still here this would be happening. Not to start a debate, but he signed up to play for Jamie. Maybe he just doesn't like stallings. This is all speculation though I am in no way claiming to actually know this for a fact.

Pitt only "looks bad" with good ole boy ACC old-school shills and the anti-Pitt local media looking to grind its heels into Pitt on anything it can. They'd all be totally silent (or rip the player and Pitt) if it were the opposite. All of them can fry in hell, especially the latter.
Exactly. Carolina is one of the big boys and everyone just wants little old Pitt to bow down to them. Gotta stand your ground.

I think he thought his shot at a title was best at UNC. And it's certainly at a high level academically. Stanford and Northwestern aren't powers.
That's a logical conclusion. And yes Carolina has good academics but I'm sorry, when I hear an athlete is worried about academics and goes yo UNC then, that seriously makes me laugh.

That's a logical conclusion. And yes Carolina has good academics but I'm sorry, when I hear an athlete is worried about academics and goes yo UNC then, that seriously makes me laugh.
Normally, I would, too. But Cam's a serious student, always has been. He'd play 2 years, get most, if not all of a master's degree. He could have done that at Pitt, if things weren't a mess right now. Being the top player on a team, maybe 2, that win 10 or fewer games isn't fun.

Normally, I would, too. But Cam's a serious student, always has been. He'd play 2 years, get most, if not all of a master's degree. He could have done that at Pitt, if things weren't a mess right now. Being the top player on a team, maybe 2, that win 10 or fewer games isn't fun.

I don't blame him at all for transferring. I don't. Good for him, I would get out of this mess too. The thing is, he can accomplish the same at say UK, or Arizona, or maybe Michigan, etc...it is not like Pitt was blocking him to block out of spite. That is what has upset me about the coverage on this.

And OK, he graduated and was free. Well if he graduated, then Pitt should be rewarded with an extra scholarship to use at their disposal. Compensation.

I don't blame him at all for transferring. I don't. Good for him, I would get out of this mess too. The thing is, he can accomplish the same at say UK, or Arizona, or maybe Michigan, etc...it is not like Pitt was blocking him to block out of spite. That is what has upset me about the coverage on this.

And OK, he graduated and was free. Well if he graduated, then Pitt should be rewarded with an extra scholarship to use at their disposal. Compensation.
LOL. Pitt should get "compensation" for being so toxic that the best returning player moves on?? Nice bit of logic, recruits.

NCAA needs to get rid of the grad transfer rule. It is being grossly abused. It was designed to allow bright students to get a grad degree in a field not offered at the school they were an undergrad--not to help/hinder basketball programs.

The sooner it is either eliminated or restricted based on whether past transfers actually complete their grad degrees in the field they transferred to study--all the better.

I am certain the grad school major he will be in at UNC can be had at quite a number of non-ACC schools!
If you looked Cam Johnson graduated with 3.9 average in 31/2 years. Pretty smart kid if you ask me. Even smarter getting away from that load Stallings!!!!!!!

Let's be honest, though. Context matters. Cam is a kid with a potential to go from fringe NCAA athlete to NBA draft pick. This isn't like Levance Fields asking to transfer to UConn after his junior year, where it would actually have some effect on standings and tournament results. Pitt is a dumpster fire and Cam and has family don't want to be here for it. Cam has performed at a far higher level as a student than most NCAA athletes, and he deserves extra discretion. There is no "precedent setting" here before Pitt called his bluff and is willing to ride it out to defeat. Now we're talking about conference rules being established and NCAA appeals. Cam Johnson is in a position right now that no other Pitt player may ever be in, and there's no reason to have gotten into this predicament.

Pitt could have said, "You're a great person. We're sorry to see you leave. Go win a ring."
I'm fine with him winning a ring, just not at a school that Pitt will havt play 3-4 times over the next 2 years. Only a dope wouldn't see it that way! He could have went a number of other places for a chance to get a ring. But for Pitt he'd have had to play at that shithole, Rice. Loyalty is a 2 way street. Screw him.

I am trying to look at this rule as an advantage for lower P5 schools and especially non P5, mid major programs as the over rated kids who go to the big schools and don't get PT, they can leave for smaller schools and get immediate playing time. Instead of this new rule just being a "feeder" system for the big schools..

I mean, in theory, it benefits everyone. in reality, it seems to be pretty much an opportunity for the blue bloods to fill holes in their roster from late bloomers..
You have it backwards now the kids who unexpectantly excel will leave the Pitts of the world for greener ($$) pastures .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT