ADVERTISEMENT

Kelly leaving UCLA to become OSU OC…

Weird. I know he has expressed his disenchantment with the college game and they lost Dante Moore, but he still had 4 years, $6M per left on his contract. Maybe there were some unfriendly buyout terms in his deal.

Reactions: 4upmc
Weird. I know he has expressed his disenchantment with the college game and they lost Dante Moore, but he still had 4 years, $6M per left on his contract. Maybe there were some unfriendly buyout terms in his deal.
Yes strange to leave a P4 head coaching job to be a college OC even at OSU. But doesn’t seem UCLA has offered the financial support to their programs & NIL. They lost their DC to rival USC because of $

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
UCLA is an absolute mess. This is probably his move to be successful at a top program right now.

Kelly’s disenchantment was always an act.

He doesn’t like anything about college football coaching except purely coaching.

He has always hated recruiting. He’s always hated the shaking hands and kissing babies part.

And the NFL doesn’t seem to want him. So college OC is his best bet.

He knows that it's too hard to win at UCLA. They won't throw crazy amount of money to do it. Why even have them in the BIG?

He doesn’t like anything about college football coaching except purely coaching.

He has always hated recruiting. He’s always hated the shaking hands and kissing babies part.

Have to assume he's giving up at least $4M/year, though. There isn't much I wouldn't kiss for that amount of money.

Have to assume he's giving up at least $4M/year, though. There isn't much I wouldn't kiss for that amount of money.

Or he realizes that he won't get an even higher paying HC job after UCLA. Hard to fail at OSU but if they win big then Chip is set up better for a HC gig somewhere else where he can win.

Or he realizes that he won't get an even higher paying HC job after UCLA. Hard to fail at OSU but if they win big then Chip is set up better for a HC gig somewhere else where he can win.

He's already 60 and not the healthiest guy in the world. I don't know if I'd be implementing any 5-year plans if I were him.

Of course, he might just not care about the money at this point and would rather have less stress.

Of course, he might just not care about the money at this point and would rather have less stress.
He’s set for life financially unless he was a total idiot with $. Prob less stress as he didn’t like dealing with the NIL crap. UCLA doesn’t seem to want to go big with NIL as their BB coach Cronin will probably leave soon. Cronin has stated how they couldn’t compete for transfers with limited NIL.

He’s set for life financially unless he was a total idiot with $. Prob less stress as he didn’t like dealing with the NIL crap. UCLA doesn’t seem to want to go big with NIL as their BB coach Cronin will probably leave soon. Cronin has stated how they couldn’t compete for transfers with limited NIL.

The issue with city schools like UCLA is they dont produce enough ultra-wealthy fanboys. Sure, there are a lot of rich UCLA alums but there arent going to be enough of them who are big enough fans of football or basketball to donate $10 million, $50 million, $100 million to a player salary pool. Pitt is in this situation also.

Kelly and Day connected from when Kelly was head coach at N Hampshire.

I think this is actually something Pitt fans should monitor. PJ Fleck is being linked to UCLA according to The Athletic and FOX. If Fleck does leave for Los Angeles and the Minnesota job becomes available, I'd imagine Narduzzi would be a candidate.

Ryan Day is one more michigan loss away from being fired. Maybe he's positioning himself better to get the HC job in '25..
I think his prayers were answered when Harbaugh left, just as Harbaugh’s prayers were answered and the door opened for Mich when Urban left OSU.

Michigan’s gonna have a hard time beating anyone with a pulse next year. 16 starters gone including almost the entire offense, no QB to replace McCarthy, new DC taking over what was the best defense in the country in 2023, and a first time HC who o believe is in WAY over his head.

Why in the hell UCLA joined the Big Ten then?

Why in the hell is Ohio State still playing big bank little bank with their own conference schools?

College Football is a joke, complete joke!!!

The NFL is better

He was getting fired after this year most likely so I guess he just jumped to a very good OC job while it was open. Seems like a poor financial choice unless UCLA kicked him some cash on the way out to encourage him to leave to avoid paying a full buyout after the year.

I think this is actually something Pitt fans should monitor. PJ Fleck is being linked to UCLA according to The Athletic and FOX. If Fleck does leave for Los Angeles and the Minnesota job becomes available, I'd imagine Narduzzi would be a candidate.

🤞

You rip this right from the article on the CBS Sports homepage? Clown.

If Fleck would leave Minnesota for UCLA, which in and of itself is a mid-level BIG job at best, that would probably speak volumes to where Minnesota is on the totem pole. I can't imagine Narduzzi wanting to walk into such a disadvantaged situation. But I guess stranger things have happened.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If Fleck would leave Minnesota for UCLA, which in and of itself is a mid-level BIG job at best, that would probably speak volumes to where Minnesota is on the totem pole. I can't imagine Narduzzi wanting to walk into such a disadvantaged situation. But I guess stranger things have happened.
In a vacuum you might be right. With that being said, a few things to consider:

• UCLA will now begin a head coaching search after NSD
• Although Fleck is under contract through 2029, his team finished 5-7 and could become an average fish in a very large pond. Looking at the trajectory of their program, this could be his best job at parlaying his current gig into a much bigger opportunity (if you believe UCLA is a sleeping giant)

That might lead UCLA to overpay and Fleck to consider.

He was getting fired after this year most likely so I guess he just jumped to a very good OC job while it was open. Seems like a poor financial choice unless UCLA kicked him some cash on the way out to encourage him to leave to avoid paying a full buyout after the year.

Really strange to me. I think I'd just coach it out, get fired and then retire. Last thing I'd do is leave for an OC job.

College FB is a mess! A few teams are going to f*ck this sport up and in a few years it will be dominated by 6-8 teams. I only watch my Pitt team play and nothing will change this but the sport is going down a rabbit hole quickly.

College FB is a mess! A few teams are going to f*ck this sport up and in a few years it will be dominated by 6-8 teams. I only watch my Pitt team play and nothing will change this but the sport is going down a rabbit hole quickly.
It’s going to get worse before it gets better. They’re going to bring about the ‘Super League’ in attempt to chase the cash and make the game more mainstream.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it took a similar trajectory as NASCAR from 2006 onwards. 15 years later, they admitted their mistakes and began returning to their roots. Unfortunately, I wonder if the damage will be reversible; I think quite a few smaller schools may lose their program in the process.

Reactions: WillyDavis33
UCLA doesn’t seem to want to go big with NIL as their BB coach Cronin will probably leave soon. Cronin has stated how they couldn’t compete for transfers with limited NIL.
Oh... the irony. The program with the OG bag man (Sam Gilbert) refuses to play the modern day pay-to-play game. Truly the apocalypse is upon us in college sports.

How many teams usually dominate?

How many teams usually dominate?
Cash don’t know how you had me posting WillyDavis33’s message above… maybe he can answer for you

Ryan Day is one more michigan loss away from being fired. Maybe he's positioning himself better to get the HC job in '25..
Perhaps. But this buffers Day from gameday issues. Also frees up Day from his immersion in the playbook on the sidelines. Can’t believe Day is giving up his control on a fairly prolific offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT