ADVERTISEMENT

Kendrick Green

Jun 3, 2023
Traded to the Texans for a 2025 6th round pick. That may not get many people excited, but flipping him for anything in return is incredible. Both Dotson and Green were dead weight on this roster, and the Steelers got back the following:

2024 4th round pick
2025 5th round pick
2025 6th round pick

The Steelers also traded a 2024 5th and 2025 6th round pick in the Dotson deal, but for guys who were going to be cut, kudos to Omar Kahn.

Traded to the Texans for a 2025 6th round pick. That may not get many people excited, but flipping him for anything in return is incredible. Both Dotson and Green were dead weight on this roster, and the Steelers got back the following:

2024 4th round pick
2025 5th round pick
2025 6th round pick

The Steelers also traded a 2024 5th and 2025 6th round pick in the Dotson deal, but for guys who were going to be cut, kudos to Omar Kahn.
Khan is a Jedi master. But…it’s a wash for me because they reportedly released Gentry. So he suckered someone into giving up a draft pick for Green, but couldn’t find a taker for Gentry who I think is a solid NFL player. I guess this speaks more to how Oline players are more of a commodity than a blocking TE.

It's hard to predict the return value becuase we don't know when the Steelers/Houston/LA will be picking in those rounds, but when you average everthing out then the Steelers came away with an additional 4th round pick for the two of them.

It's hard to predict the return value becuase we don't know when the Steelers/Houston/LA will be picking in those rounds, but when you average everthing out then the Steelers came away with an additional 4th round pick for the two of them.
They also cleared cap space.

Khan is a Jedi master. But…it’s a wash for me because they reportedly released Gentry. So he suckered someone into giving up a draft pick for Green, but couldn’t find a taker for Gentry who I think is a solid NFL player. I guess this speaks more to how Oline players are more of a commodity than a blocking TE.

I agree with this. I actually thought Dotson warranted a late-round draft pick (they moved up in two rounds, so I guess that's kind of the same), and I am shocked they got anything besides a bag of dried crickets for Kendrick Green (if he was a UDFA instead of a 3rd round pick, he'd have been cut two years ago and would have never been thought of again). But I did like Gentry.

The Steelers have really made some bad picks in recent years. 2019 and 2020 were just bad drafts and you look at 2021 and you just have to imagine what could have been while they were busy making luxury picks. Hopefully the past two drafts are indications of what's to come but clearing cap space and getting late round picks means so little when you could have put a couple of stud OL-men on that line instead.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
The Steelers have really made some bad picks in recent years. 2019 and 2020 were just bad drafts and you look at 2021 and you just have to imagine what could have been while they were busy making luxury picks. Hopefully the past two drafts are indications of what's to come but clearing cap space and getting late round picks means so little when you could have put a couple of stud OL-men on that line instead.

Now that Ben is off the books, it feels like we have so much more margin for error. Like we definitely had some bad drafts, but we got back on the upswing in a hurry.

Kind of like the 49ers - they're not paying a QB, so they can afford to weather ridiculously stupid things such as spending three first round picks, or whatever it was, on Trey Lance.

I swear the breakdown is:

A few teams with high-paid elite quarterbacks who can compete

A few teams with rookie quarterbacks surrounded by really good rosters who can compete

A few teams in complete rebuilding mode

A whole bunch of teams who are bound to limbo, because they're paying big money to a QB who is good but not good enough, and their team is hamstrung because of it

Yep

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Now that Ben is off the books, it feels like we have so much more margin for error. Like we definitely had some bad drafts, but we got back on the upswing in a hurry.

Kind of like the 49ers - they're not paying a QB, so they can afford to weather ridiculously stupid things such as spending three first round picks, or whatever it was, on Trey Lance.

A few teams with rookie quarterbacks surrounded by really good rosters who can compete

A whole bunch of teams who are bound to limbo, because they're paying big money to a QB who is good but not good enough, and their team is hamstrung because of it
it's crazy because a few years ago, you thought that you HAD to sign your QB to that next deal. But these qb contracts are so ridiculous that unless you have a top 5 QB, you almost have to "NOT" sign him.

browns surprisingly made right decision by not signing mayfield. a good but far from great QB. of course they offered watson a huge contract lol. i kind of like herbert but i see the chargers falling into that category.

the Cardinals are pretty much already "on the clock" for '24 cause of the kyler murray contract.. broncos are hamstrung with a below avg qb making almost 50m a year.. An NFL team is better off with a "dime a dozen QB" making 10M a year and having money to build a roster over a "good but not great" qb who is making 45m a year.

its going to be interesting to see if Pickett is good but not really good, what do you do with him? We have 3 years to worry about it though..

it's crazy because a few years ago, you thought that you HAD to sign your QB to that next deal. But these qb contracts are so ridiculous that unless you have a top 5 QB, you almost have to "NOT" sign him.

browns surprisingly made right decision by not signing mayfield. a good but far from great QB. of course they offered watson a huge contract lol. i kind of like herbert but i see the chargers falling into that category.

the Cardinals are pretty much already "on the clock" for '24 cause of the kyler murray contract.. broncos are hamstrung with a below avg qb making almost 50m a year.. An NFL team is better off with a "dime a dozen QB" making 10M a year and having money to build a roster over a "good but not great" qb who is making 45m a year.

its going to be interesting to see if Pickett is good but not really good, what do you do with him? We have 3 years to worry about it though..
They paid way more guaranteed money for a qb who’s less successful than Baker .
The browns made an idiotic decision

Exactly. You're better off throwing him back and recasting your line than you are giving guys like Tannehill, Carr, Prescott, etc. huge money. It's the Andy Dalton dilemma. Teams don't want to start over because they have a guy who is really good (but not great), but the position commands so much money that you're just kind of screwed.

And I'm willing to bet that part of the problem with overvaluing these guys is that because they're are on rookie contracts you're able to put a lot of talent around them to mask their flaws. But when it comes time for them to carry the team on their backs... nope.

Exactly. You're better off throwing him back and recasting your line than you are giving guys like Tannehill, Carr, Prescott, etc. huge money. It's the Andy Dalton dilemma. Teams don't want to start over because they have a guy who is really good (but not great), but the position commands so much money that you're just kind of screwed.
these GMs and owners screwed themselves. Giving kyler midget murray 45m plus just sets a false market value.

Lamar jackson is a running back making 52m. Russell WIlson lol. he wouldnt start for 75% of the league and he's making 46m.

offering below avg qbs ridiculous contracts screws up every team in the future. and it's toothepaste you arent getting back into the bottle. every agent is going to say, Justin Herbert is making 52m a year, my QB should be making this. If herbert is making that, burrows is worth 65M a year.

these GMs and owners screwed themselves. Giving kyler midget murray 45m plus just sets a false market value.

Lamar jackson is a running back making 52m. Russell WIlson lol. he wouldnt start for 75% of the league and he's making 46m.

offering below avg qbs ridiculous contracts screws up every team in the future. and it's toothepaste you arent getting back into the bottle. every agent is going to say, Justin Herbert is making 52m a year, my QB should be making this. If herbert is making that, burrows is worth 65M a year.

I could definitely see us ending up in a sticky situation with Pickett. I think it's theoretically possible that we could win a championship with him, but I don't see it happening without a great defense and lots of talent around him on offense. And if you want to pay a quarterback and have those things as well, you almost have to nail every draft. Or just be the Rams from two years ago, where you somehow figure out a way to give 20 guys on your roster a billion-dollar contract.

Russell Wilson was pretty good for a while though. Is he still? We’ll see. Sounds like Denver was a mess last year. I’m sure it’ll be different under Payton but Wilson isn’t young and could be done.

2024 4th round pick
2025 5th round pick
2025 6th round pick

I can't believe the Steelers got anything for this guy. He was was easy to like but just wan;t an NFL caliber player....at any postiion......

Is he still? No. He’s terrible.
Again we’ll see. But that’s the nature of it. When you’re as good as he was you get a big contract. Lots of guys stink in the last couple years of their deals. Guys like Rodgers and Brady are anomalies. Matt Ryan stunk. Big Ben stunk. Just the way it is.

And not only football. Look at Pujols for one.

Gentry is a dime a dozen. Every team in the NFL has a backup TE that is an OK blocker but is limited as a pass catcher.

I can't believe the contract the Giants gave Daniel Jones. You are never going to win with that guy.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
All the Steelers draft picks made the team except Trice is hurt and has a history of not staying healthy since his days at Purdue.
Drafting is going to get better- in Andy and Omar we trust!

Maybe, wonder who will be available after cuts.

What on earth do they see in Harvin, and why would you ever keep 2 punters.
Are the Texans tanking? The Steelers just picked up Desmond King off waivers. This is a legit starter and former pro bowler. He might even have been All Pro. He’s played corner and slot.

The Steelers just got better.

Are the Texans tanking? The Steelers just picked up Desmond King off waivers. This is a legit starter and former pro bowler. He might even have been All Pro. He’s played corner and slot.

Totally agree. This allows Patrick Peterson to roam around more, IMO. If you’re going to trust Porter on one side, and King/Wallace on the other, let Peterson play the slot or some safety alongside Minkah. This defense could be scary good.

• Love

He might be a great addition, but I'm guessing his better days are behind him. He was playing on a somewhat modest contract for a veteran starting CB ($3.5M/year), and he graded out as a 73.2 on PFF last year, which is sort of on the lower end for a starter.

I mean, it seems like a decent move for this stage in the game, but I've still got some doubts about our cornerbacks.

He might be a great addition, but I'm guessing his better days are behind him. He was playing on a somewhat modest contract for a veteran starting CB ($3.5M/year), and he graded out as a 73.2 on PFF last year, which is sort of on the lower end for a starter.

I mean, it seems like a decent move for this stage in the game, but I've still got some doubts about our cornerbacks.
Well the world needs ditch diggers too. Lol. I’m just excited to get a vet presence with some pedigree who is still only 28. And he made some splash plays last year. He has to be better than Pierre and a change in scenery might do him good. In the very least, the Steelers are deeper at a position that has lagged behind all the other positions from a depth standpoint.

I guess if you're looking for a silver lining in that number, Houston didn't blitz the QB much.

I think the last part is key. If you are paying mediocre to good QB a lot, then it's just not likely to work out. If you don't have the guy, then it's kind of wasted spending. I'm thinking Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones. They have huge salaries and aren't top 10 QBs.

One year to add depth and bridge the gap for the young DBs to adjust.

Someone said that PFF score was better than Cam Sutton or any other Steeler CB. True?

Someone said that PFF score was better than Cam Sutton or any other Steeler CB. True?

It could be. I just Googled it, and it looks as though he was very slightly above Sutton (73.2 to 72.2). But I think the league has spoken on who it values more (Sutton is signed for $11M/year, and King got cut only a much more team-friendly contract).

Steelers trade Green to the Texans for king and a 6th rounder.

Masterful

PFF has him ranked 20th out of 118 CBs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT