ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers and Pitt parallels

pittbb80

Chancellor
Oct 9, 2004
The parallels between the Pitt VT game and the Steelers Texans game are interesting

Both have an OC that is awful.

Both defenses got shredded on the ground by offenses that had difficulty running the ball. I’m the Steelers case they got shredded by an OL that was staring a guy at OT who was signed off the practice squad and Kendrick Freaking Green.

Both offenses were beyond pathetic. Both have skill position players who were over hyped.

And Both coaches vowed changes that we know they won’t make

Perhaps one of the most dismal football weekends in the cities history

Perhaps one of the most dismal football weekends in the cities history
I foolishly thought both teams would win, and not only did they lose, they lost decisively. There’s been other dismal weekends and there’s recency bias but this one really stands out.

I foolishly thought both teams would win, and not only did they lose, they lost decisively. There’s been other dismal weekends and there’s recency bias but this one really stands out.
Me too. I felt like this week, we have the better team, and the Steelers where coming off a decent performance, and Pickett finally looked halfway decent vs Vegas. I guess they fooled me.

Last edited:
Reactions: str61166
They both stink, but the parallels ends with that. The Steelers have 13 more games to get things right and likely will end up near .500. They actually are still in second place in the division, and incredibly, would be in first place if they win next week. They have a good bit of talent and are mostly underachieving. And even if they continue to plummet, they’ll be rewarded with excellent draft picks.

Pitt has none of those things going for us. Our season is nearly half over already. We are dead last (or perhaps tied) in the conference. We have little to no prospect of improving. We don’t have any appreciable talent; we are sadly likely playing exactly to the level of the talent we have. And continuing to suck will reap us nothing but more sucking.

They both stink, but the parallels ends with that. The Steelers have 13 more games to get things right and likely will end up near .500. They actually are still in second place in the division, and incredibly, would be in first place if they win next week. They have a good bit of talent and are mostly underachieving. And even if they continue to plummet, they’ll be rewarded with excellent draft picks.

Pitt has none of those things going for us. Our season is nearly half over already. We are dead last (or perhaps tied) in the conference. We have little to no prospect of improving. We don’t have any appreciable talent; we are sadly likely playing exactly to the level of the talent we have. And continuing to suck will reap us nothing but more sucking.
Steelers AND Pitt both Head Coaches are system coaches.

Very little individual game planing ever takes place. We always play "our" game.
They also do not do enough to scout themselves, to remove predicability. Houston and Vir. Tech both had significantly weaknesses. Nothing special was done to exploit them.

Both head coaches are reluctant to trust their QBs. Both made bad OC hires. We are not playing modern offensive football. Our QBs are playing in straightjackets.

Both coaches have extremely conservative mindsets. We have to win close orwe will not win at all Both will pull the plug on offense as soon as they think they have enoughpoints to win. That is a dangerous way to operate.

Both count on the defense to close out close games, never the offense.

Both Head Coaches are dinosaurs

Steelers AND Pitt both Head Coaches are system coaches.

Very little individual game planing ever takes place. We always play "our" game.
They also do not do enough to scout themselves, to remove predicability. Houston and Vir. Tech both had significantly weaknesses. Nothing special was done to exploit them.

Both head coaches are reluctant to trust their QBs. Both made bad OC hires. We are not playing modern offensive football. Our QBs are playing in straightjackets.

Both coaches have extremely conservative mindsets. We have to win close orwe will not win at all Both will pull the plug on offense as soon as they think they have enoughpoints to win. That is a dangerous way to operate.

Both count on the defense to close out close games, never the offense.

Both Head Coaches are dinosaurs
Those points are all right on, but seem pretty obvious by now, especially on this board … so I just inherently included in the first segment “both teams stink…”

Those points are all right on, but seem pretty obvious by now, especially on this board … so I just inherently included in the first segment “both teams stink…”
I would modify that to both coaches stink. (Then limit that to the strategic elements of coaching)

Out of our 22 starters how many do we have that others teams would value? Meaning they would take them over who they have on their team. I am having difficulty thinking of more than 2. There lies the problem

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT