ADVERTISEMENT

Kene Chukwuka to return

Those are completely different issues. KS took heat because he literally did nothing to recruit his first class, left a scholarship open, AND then pushed all those guys out the next year, while replacing them with absolute scrubs.

Capel has already recruited multiple players in his short time, including an impact grad transfer.

If Stallings would have added a player like N'Dir in his first class, we are probably capable (although Stallings would still be the coach) of being an NCAAT. Then, if he doesn't gut the 2016 class, we aren't taking guys like Kene and George in 2017. Stallings didn't keep Thompson, completely because of his doing. He doesn't get a pass for that.
He released them from their commitments and re recruited them . Both JK and CM were rated high enough that replacing them with higher rated recruits wasn’t likely .

I will agree he should have not let the scholarship open , but we don’t know how many guys he swung and missed on .

There’s no comparing the recruiting abilities of the two coaches .

Before we annoit N’Dir as a great pickup let’s see what he brings to the table . He didn’t have his best yr last season .

Kithcart got kicked off the team , CM isn’t a player and Clark got injured . The 16 class was a complete zero .

Thompson played a lot at Butler averaged 4 ppg 3.4 apg shot .133 from 3 and 56% from the line . Not a game changer .

I guess you’d be happier if KS was slightly more successful so we could have another 4 yrs . Things worked out for the best !

To be clear, I would have given him his papers. And every aspect of his game needs to pick up.

But since he IS on the roster, I would not try to make him something that he is not and give him a another chance early to display the offensive attributes that got him a ride in the first place. This team is going nowhere next year. So I 'm looking to see how much, if any, he can contribute his last two years.

It’s not making him something he’s not.

Asking him to shoot from 3 is

Reactions: Jpripper88
Toree Morris, Gary McGhee, Yuri Demetris, John DeGroat and Dante Taylor were all players who played a role a lot like Kene Chukwuka. The funny thing is Kene is put down worst than the others I name!?!?!?
Those guys would've been too if they chucked up ridiculous 3 pointers for no reason. If chewie focuses on his inside game I think he could be a guy that plays 8 minutes a night and gives you solid defense and grabs rebounds. He's just not a scorer, he never will be, he needs to focus on the other parts of his game.

Those guys would've been too if they chucked up ridiculous 3 pointers for no reason. If chewie focuses on his inside game I think he could be a guy that plays 8 minutes a night and gives you solid defense and grabs rebounds. He's just not a scorer, he never will be, he needs to focus on the other parts of his game.
It was reported that he knocked down those shots in practice . Some guys are practice players and when the lights come on something changes . I gues we’ll see how the new staff uses him . I think it’s safe to say that he won’t be coming off the bench to knock down that crucial 3 at clutch time !

Reactions: Pittx9
It was reported that he knocked down those shots in practice . Some guys are practice players and when the lights come on something changes . I gues we’ll see how the new staff uses him . I think it’s safe to say that he won’t be coming off the bench to knock down that crucial 3 at clutch time !
The only reason I don't see it ever happening for him is because in JC while he did shoot better from 3 (30.8% on 26 attempts), he still only averaged 3.0 PPG. Also 3.7 rebounds per game, and this was in only about 10 MPG.

I mean that's great and all that he could hit shots in practice, but after continuously showing in games he couldn't (and a lot of times missing badly), you'd think he at least wouldn't have the go to shoot 3s at will. I do think under capel though and his emphasis on guards he will need chewie as more of a post presence, so I do think he'll be used in more of a role that he can succeed in more.

Toree Morris, Gary McGhee, Yuri Demetris, John DeGroat and Dante Taylor were all players who played a role a lot like Kene Chukwuka. The funny thing is Kene is put down worst than the others I name!?!?!?
No offense but NONE of the guys you mentioned played roles even remotely resembling Chukwuka's.

Morris was a physical, defensive center who rarely shot. He was good enough to get a look in an NBA training camp or two.

McGhee was a strong rebounder who made hinself jnto the best defensive center in the league. Also has had looks from NBA teams and is now making a living overseas.

Demetris was a guard who ended up playing part time as a wing, again mainly as a help defender. Big scorer in the WPIAL who was over his head physically against BE athletes.

John DeGroat was a wing. Outstanding in Juco but never found hinself at Pitt.

Dante Taylor was a 4 who had to play 5 here. Statistically excellent rebounder. (In percentage per minute) Had an average career but was an underachiever given his 5-star ranking. To be fair, injuries derailed him and took away his athleticism, especially his quick jumping ability, which had been his calling card as a high school star.

NONE fired up 3-point attempts like Kene. Morris never shot one. Dante did try ONCE. Yuri and DeGroat shot about as many in 4 years and two years respectively as Kene did in one, but hit about 32-33%, instead of 19%. All had overall shooting percentages almost 20% higher than Kene.

The only real similarity is that all scored 5 ppg or less.

Reactions: Jpripper88
You guys seem to miss my point about Kene Chukwuka. Toree Morris and Gary McGhee were players who developed, Yuri Demetris nothing, John DeGroat and Dante Taylor were players who should have been better than they were! Kene can develop into a serviceable player, but some of you are looking at his first season as the best he'll get! That's putting down the whole coaching staff, teammates and himself to develop! Y'all remember when Pitt would have Most Improved Player Award winners every other year, it (development) can happen!

I think Peace and Brown can both be good a good presence under the rim. Peace has the body for that type of game. Brown was like the 2nd or 3rd best player down the stretch. KS problem was giving every player the freedom to shoot the 3. Kene should never have been given that option.

Its all about having good to great guard play now. You have to have guards who can drive to basket, shoot the 3 and play defense. It seemed like every team I watched had at 2 of these guards. All you had to do was look over on the Bluff. I dont til this day understand how Pitt cant find these players. Thats why I like the guards coming in. They have these attributes, whether or not we see them is the big question. But at least they look the part.

Kene can develop into a serviceable player, but some of you are looking at his first season as the best he'll get!

Yeah, but part of the difference is that the first season at Pitt for most of the guys that are being mentioned was their first season in college. Last year was Chukwuka's third season in college. For many (perhaps most) players, the biggest jump they make in college is from their first season to their second. For Kene to make that jump now he'd be doing it from his third season to his fourth, or from his fourth to his fifth. That's not impossible or unheard of, but it is a lot less likely.

Yeah, but part of the difference is that the first season at Pitt for most of the guys that are being mentioned was their first season in college. Last year was Chukwuka's third season in college. For many (perhaps most) players, the biggest jump they make in college is from their first season to their second. For Kene to make that jump now he'd be doing it from his third season to his fourth, or from his fourth to his fifth. That's not impossible or unheard of, but it is a lot less likely.
One year at New Mexico JuCo and one at Pitt, he'll be a Junior this coming season. Capel and his staff will help him improve to be a good roll player we'll root for!

Reactions: FireballZ
One year at New Mexico JuCo and one at Pitt, he'll be a Junior this coming season.

TWO years at a juco (he wouldn't have been able to transfer here if it was only one year) and one year at Pitt. He will be a REDSHIRT junior this coming season.

And I'd be happy if he ever gets good enough to be a decent role player. But he also could use a little more weight on him, so if he were a better "roll player" that might help too! ;)

TWO years at a juco (he wouldn't have been able to transfer here if it was only one year) and one year at Pitt. He will be a REDSHIRT junior this coming season.

And I'd be happy if he ever gets good enough to be a decent role player. But he also could use a little more weight on him, so if he were a better "roll player" that might help too! ;)
You can leave JUCO after one year if you were eligible to play D1 out of HS. If you were not eligible out of HS, then you must graduate from JUCO before transferring. Kene reclassified after one year of JUCO to come to Pitt and did not use a redshirt.

Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT