ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny was 3rd.

I'm old enough to remember how Chase Young looked freakish in that league.... then looked pedestrian in the playoffs and NFL.

I'm old enough to remember when the JJ Watt, TJ Watt, Bosa Bros, etc looked freakish in that league and then looked freakish in the NFL.

Draft prospect status is irrelevant.
sure it is when people want to play the card that he wasn't the "best" defensive player in the CFB. I really don't know nor do I care if he was the "best". But, I saw him play maybe 2x this year and he looked like an absolute freak that teams couldn't block. The NFL guys seem to think he's pretty good.

Reactions: Ski11585
If you had a vote would you vote for the guy you only really seen highlights of or the guy you have seen completely change an entire game? Honestly how many of the 900+ saw complete Pitt game vs a complete Michigan or Alabama game?

You proved my point that once again, the Heisman is a farce award now. The other awards are more meaningful.

Reactions: DruidTM
When Hugh Green didn't get it, I decided no defensive player should then along came Aaron Donald and he didn't get it. I go by my feelings that because of those 2 not getting it no defensive player should.

When Hugh Green didn't get it, I decided no defensive player should then along came Aaron Donald and he didn't get it. I go by my feelings that because of those 2 not getting it no defensive player should.
Kenny had a great body of work for the whole season. All they talked about and showed was one running play. He’s a quarterback, show and discuss his passing!

Just proves once again that the Heisman is a biased and corrupt award and isn't given to the "best" player, only to the player from the right conference with the most hype. There is no way that a defensive lineman from some B1G school is more deserving than Kenny. And it's debatable if Young is more deserving. Both Young and Pickett had fantastic seasons and both helped their teams win big games. Each is as deserving as the other. But Young is from the SEC, and that's all you need to know.

College sports now, with transfer portals and NIL, is a complete and utter mess and is getting to be unwatchable. Then you add in a biased, popularity contest like the Heisman and you have an invalid award that now means very little.
nah, just proves that everyone voted for the kid with the best overall stats who played a better schedule and beat better teams. Jeez, the kid threw for over 400 yards against the number one team in the country (ranking and defense) on the last day before the ballots were due coming a week after he engineered a 97 yard drive in the closing seconds to get his team the point where it is today, ie #1 playing for the national championship....this is somehow to be ignored and is indicative of what you call biased "popularity". Odd that this bias did not come to light with Addison.

But Young is from the SEC, and that's all you need to know... uh, not really, see above.

I'm a diehard Pitt fan but not a blind Pitt homer who cannot see this simple truth.. ..the Michigan kid coming in second (if you ain't first your last so what difference does it make) probably was a function of the voters not wanting to put QBs 1 and 2 on their ballots..

OK...we are all a little butt hurt Kenny wasn't the Heisman winner and we knew he wouldn't be. But in years when Pitt isn't involved, we all knew then that it was a popularity contest. The only way Kenny was going to win was if there is blue blood fatigue and voters were just tired of the same programs getting the Heisman. This obviously didn't happen. Congratulations to Kenny and all of the finalist. They would be stars on any team.

Reactions: ratking17
nah, just proves that everyone voted for the kid with the best overall stats who played a better schedule and beat better teams. Jeez, the kid threw for over 400 yards against the number one team in the country (ranking and defense) on the last day before the ballots were due coming a week after he engineered a 97 yard drive in the closing seconds to get his team the point where it is today, ie #1 playing for the national championship....this is somehow to be ignored and is indicative of what you call biased "popularity". Odd that this bias did not come to light with Addison.

But Young is from the SEC, and that's all you need to know... uh, not really, see above.

I'm a diehard Pitt fan but not a blind Pitt homer who cannot see this simple truth.. ..the Michigan kid coming in second (if you ain't first your last so what difference does it make) probably was a function of the voters not wanting to put QBs 1 and 2 on their ballots..
Kenny did more with less talent surrounding him. Bamas OL is better than some NFL teams.. Comprehend???

Kenny did more with less talent surrounding him. Bamas OL is better than some NFL teams.. Comprehend???
Sure I comprehend...Comprehend the irrelevance in it. So, this kid putting up the best numbers against the best competition in the biggest of moments must be dispensed with ??? (love the three question marks, adds to the point being made)... Somehow the metric here is "sorry Young, we feel Pickett was left with this unbelievable empty cupboard (ignore that Biletnikoff winner behind the curtain--weird he was able to beat out a kid from Bama based on, wait for it, his better stat production) and although did not play your schedule and was on a team in a lesser conference and lost to a MAC team and had stats lesser than yours he should get the award based on that and the fact that Alabama has great players.....

Sure I comprehend...Comprehend the irrelevance in it. So, this kid putting up the best numbers against the best competition in the biggest of moments must be dispensed with ??? (love the three question marks, adds to the point being made)... Somehow the metric here is "sorry Young, we feel Pickett was left with this unbelievable empty cupboard (ignore that Biletnikoff winner behind the curtain--weird he was able to beat out a kid from Bama based on, wait for it, his better stat production) and although did not play your schedule and was on a team in a lesser conference and lost to a MAC team and had stats lesser than yours he should get the award based on that and the fact that Alabama has great players.....
For sake of discussion only, put Pickett at Bama and Young at Pitt this year. Would Pitt have won the conference? How would Bama have faired?

Reactions: pierre93
Sure I comprehend...Comprehend the irrelevance in it. So, this kid putting up the best numbers against the best competition in the biggest of moments must be dispensed with ??? (love the three question marks, adds to the point being made)... Somehow the metric here is "sorry Young, we feel Pickett was left with this unbelievable empty cupboard (ignore that Biletnikoff winner behind the curtain) and although did not play your schedule and was on a team in a lesser conference and lost to a MAC team and had stats lesser than yours he should get the award based on that and the fact that Alabama has great players.....
Your dense, the award should go to the player who means the most to his team with skill as well leadership. Kenny exemplifies what the Heisman trophy should mean. JMO

For sake of discussion only, put Pickett at Bama and Young at Pitt this year. Would Pitt have won the conference? How would Bama have faired?
yes, same....my guess is just as good as anyone's within the realm of hypothetical ramblings... this has no bearing on a Heisman ballot..

Again, I think the ACC TV deal with ESPN is awful. Just terrible. No promotion for the ACC championship game at all unless it's Clemson. It's awful. This year was an exciting match up between two top 20 teams including a major award finalist. Yet its put on ACC with third backup broadcasting team. No wonder the ratings we so bad. Yet somehow year after year a Clemson blowout always got more love. It's amazing that the AAC final got more eyeballs. That should never happen but with ESPN it did. Maybe if you send a Gameday crew just once this year to an ACC game it would have been different. It's almost like the League and ESPN don't even want anyone else to be good other than Clemson or maybe FSU every year.

And no push to promote a Heisman and Maxwell candidate in Kenny Pickett. If it wasn't for website's like the Athletic he probably wouldn't even made the Top 10. Addison winning the Biletnikoff is a minor miracle. Must have different voters who actually pay attention.

Reactions: paschuler1970
Correct. They did the same thing with Woodson years ago. Put their thumb on the scale big time. With Woodson it was pretty obvious that ESPN wanted to see if it could exert enough influence to get a defensive player the Heisman for the first time. Clearly they could. Hutchinson is an outstanding player and had a great season. He will be a top 10 pick and will probably be picked before KP. But he had no business in the top 4 Heisman vote getters. ESPN made him their chosen defensive darling this year after the OSU game.
It's ultimately in the hands of the voters. ESPN had pushed the non-offensive skill position player the year before in Orlando Pace. (Pace finished 4th in the voting)

Woodson gained traction because he was a special talent and a huge game against Ohio State playing for a Michigan National Title team. Peyton Manning was runnier up, and as much as some people like to believe Peyton got screwed, it's hard to gloss over the Florida game where Manning threw 4 INTs and his team lost decisively. (yet again)

I don't really think they are trying to exert influence so much as just trying to give exposure to other players that voters might view as worthy. It only seems to gain traction for players that have a late season monster game on a team contending for a championship. They floated Jordan Davis out there too this year, but that didn't gain any traction the way it did with Hutchinson.

I assume you mean the same result at both. If this is the case, why wasn't the vote at least closer?
ah, geez, I'm guessing Joe Kowalski from Sioux Falls South Dakota with a Heisman ballot in hand did not have the time or inclination to run through the permutations (don't forget, probably 5 or 6 other switch-o change-o' episodes of Leonard Nimoy's old "What If" show needed to be done with the other Heisman candidates) and just picked the kid who had the best stats ands won the most games against the best teams.

Reactions: TD_6082
Do we know who the local guys voted for this year? And is there a place to see all the actual ballots or do they need to be released by the person who voted themselves?

Going by your logic, Texas Tech and Hawaii quarterbacks should have far more Heisman Trohpies. Kenny also played against the following ranked pass defenses.

130 Teams
107th
106th
FCS Team
Western Michigan
126th
68th
47th
129th
94th
96th
37th
55th

Young didn't exactly play all of his games against better opponents, but he did better against better. KP deserves to get his banner raised at Heinz.

Going by your logic, Texas Tech and Hawaii quarterbacks should have far more Heisman Trohpies. Kenny also played against the following ranked pass defenses.

130 Teams
107th
106th
FCS Team
Western Michigan
126th
68th
47th
129th
94th
96th
37th
55th

Young didn't exactly play all of his games against better opponents, but he did better against better. KP deserves to get his banner raised at Heinz.
Andre Ware says Hi

Again, I think the ACC TV deal with ESPN is awful. Just terrible. No promotion for the ACC championship game at all unless it's Clemson. It's awful. This year was an exciting match up between two top 20 teams including a major award finalist. Yet its put on ACC with third backup broadcasting team. No wonder the ratings we so bad. Yet somehow year after year a Clemson blowout always got more love. It's amazing that the AAC final got more eyeballs. That should never happen but with ESPN it did. Maybe if you send a Gameday crew just once this year to an ACC game it would have been different. It's almost like the League and ESPN don't even want anyone else to be good other than Clemson or maybe FSU every year.

And no push to promote a Heisman and Maxwell candidate in Kenny Pickett. If it wasn't for website's like the Athletic he probably wouldn't even made the Top 10. Addison winning the Biletnikoff is a minor miracle. Must have different voters who actually pay attention.
All of the other games except the Pac-12 had playoff implications. And the Pac-12 game had no competition on Friday night.

Reactions: 4382
I'm fine with Young winning over Pickett. Blue bloods win because that's all that's ever sold to us. Since 2000, probably the only winners that haven't come from an elite program are Jackson (Louisville) and Griffin (Baylor). The top programs are sold by ESPN. Networks only show the top teams on their top channels. Social media is all over the top programs. ESPN was hyping up Bryce Young saying no one believes in him.

I'd bet few voters watched multiple Pitt games during the season. They probably didn't even watch a full game. Instead they look at the box score and see he threw an interception in a loss to Western Michigan and complete ignored the fact he did more than enough to win the game.

Again, Young deserved to win, but it's easy to see why lesser programs rarely have a player in contention.

No...Young had better stats by less than a hair. It was essentially a tossup as far as stats go between Pickett and Young.

Look, we're PItt fans here and we want the guy from Pitt to get his just rewards. Yes, we understand that Young was the winner and it was justified. What we don't understand is Kenny coming in a distant third behind some guy who plays on the defensive line and is no better than many defensive linemen around the country. It just reveals the bias of the media and voters and proves what a farce the award is.

Yeah ok Stat guy meaning Ware was on a 10-2 team that really didn't play good competition back then.
Ok Mr. “browse through schools listed on Heisman winners without any other reference to try and make a point.”

Ware played in the Southwestern that finished with 4 teams ranked in the top 20. That’s more teams than the ACC, B1G, SEC, or PAC had.

On top of that, his numbers were so far above any other power school QB that he was the obvious top choice. He had 50% more yards than any other Power Conference QB and 105% more TDs than any other Power Conference QB.

He broke 26 NCAA records that season

The only other great stat line that year was an Indians run, but his team was 5-6 and he came in 2nd.

You’d have been much better off using Detmer as your example, who won it the year after Ware.

Reactions: Hayekr
Ok Mr. “browse through schools listed on Heisman winners without any other reference to try and make a point.”

Ware played in the Southwestern that finished with 4 teams ranked in the top 20. That’s more teams than the ACC, B1G, SEC, or PAC had.

On top of that, his numbers were so far above any other power school QB that he was the obvious top choice. He had 50% more yards than any other Power Conference QB and 105% more TDs than any other Power Conference QB.

He broke 26 NCAA records that season

The only other great stat line that year was an Indians run, but his team was 5-6 and he came in 2nd.

You’d have been much better off using Detmer as your example, who won it the year after Ware.
I didn't browse through Peter Parker I knew about Andre Ware etc. But keep at it your doing great 👍

Guys - I wouldn't get so up in arms about this. It's par for the course.

Paul Hornung won the award over Jim freaking Brown. That was a lifetime ago and that type of thing happens more then not.

Exactly. Every year the award usually goes to a player on a highly ranked/big market team; and every year the fan bases of lower ranked/smaller market teams will "Reeeeeeeee!!!!" about their player being screwed in the voting. It is what it is. Once you understand the voting tendencies, it's not as bothersome.

I wrote before that for a player on a lower ranked team to win the Trophy, two conditions typically have to be met:

1. The player has to put up extremely impressive numbers and highlight reel tape to justify their case; like Johnny Manziel, RG3, and Lamar Jackson when they won it on multiple loss teams.

2. They have to hope there isn't a player on a highly ranked school with very impressive stats/impact in games in their own right. If these two conditions aren't met, it is a long shot.

Guys - I wouldn't get so up in arms about this. It's par for the course.

Paul Hornung won the award over Jim freaking Brown. That was a lifetime ago and that type of thing happens more then not.
Yeah, the Heisman voters are likely some of the same people that do pre-season AP polls. I didn't have much hope KP could win. I was a little shocked he finished third but It's fine.

No...Young had better stats by less than a hair. It was essentially a tossup as far as stats go between Pickett and Young.

Look, we're PItt fans here and we want the guy from Pitt to get his just rewards. Yes, we understand that Young was the winner and it was justified. What we don't understand is Kenny coming in a distant third behind some guy who plays on the defensive line and is no better than many defensive linemen around the country. It just reveals the bias of the media and voters and proves what a farce the award is.
I agree that Hutchinson shouldn't have even been on the Heisman ballot, let alone the #2 vote getter. I would say the same about the other 2 defensive guys on the ballot, especially Davis, who's a two down player and comes off the field in any obvious passing situation. This part, however, you have wrong:

some guy who plays on the defensive line and is no better than many defensive linemen around the country.

If that's how you actually perceive Hutchinson, you haven't been paying much attention to college football played outside of Pitt games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT