ADVERTISEMENT

Knight or Dixon

hailtopitt25

Sophomore
Gold Member
May 6, 2008
Only two calls you can make. We desperately need ties to our golden era. There’s no other way to generate buzz at this point. We went after an established coach in Stallings which was a disaster and a top assistant in Capel which somehow is even worse.

The Dixon ship has sailed.

Why? It is a new AD and according to USA Today he is probably getting paid maybe only a bit more than Capel, so why wouldn’t he be interested? All of the insiders keep saying it was Scout Barnes, Scott Barnes, SCOTT BARNES that forced him out. With a new AD why not recapture some glory?

Only two calls you can make. We desperately need ties to our golden era. There’s no other way to generate buzz at this point. We went after an established coach in Stallings which was a disaster and a top assistant in Capel which somehow is even worse.
Only 60 days in, but dumbest post of the year. Impressive given your competiton.

We went from 0-18 and losing a majority of those games by 20-50 points, to a program that was immediately competitive and this year beat Cuse twice, Duke, and a ranked VT team...but somehow things are worse now?? This is a perfect example why I don’t spend much time on the free board.

No
Back to the future is dumb

Most of the time yes, but this is such a cluster right now. There are plenty of situations where someone is hired or elected that is a choice of more normal stability than a savior.

That being said I can’t see Pitt getting anything close to a decent name and Knight might be the only guy that would have a longer honeymoon than most.

We went from 0-18 and losing a majority of those games by 20-50 points, to a program that was immediately competitive and this year beat Cuse twice, Duke, and a ranked VT team...but somehow things are worse now?? This is a perfect example why I don’t spend much time on the free board.
I’ll post it to the paid board then too. We just had two of our players quit. Our top recruit suspended. We’ve lost 7/8. We beat the worst duke team in 20 years when all these shenanigans weren’t happening. If champ goes to the NBA this will be as bad as the 0-18 roster. Take your blinders off

Most of the time yes, but this is such a cluster right now. There are plenty of situations where someone is hired or elected that is a choice of more normal stability than a savior.

That being said I can’t see Pitt getting anything close to a decent name and Knight might be the only guy that would have a longer honeymoon than most.
Jeff Capel will be our head coach the next 3 seasons minimally
Self flagellation isn’t going to change that
Just hope he upgrades the dead weight on his staff for some top recruiters

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
The first call I make and would’ve made the last 2 times the job was open is Calipari. If he says no (likely), so what?

I am not doubting what you are saying but I cannot (off of the top of my head) recall a situation quite like this before in hoops In the NCAA. I would love to be reminded of some. But without a doubt I would think some sort of major effort would have to be made to appease the fan base and donors. It can’t just be ignored.

Last edited:
I’ll post it to the paid board then too. We just had two of our players quit. Our top recruit suspended. We’ve lost 7/8. We beat the worst duke team in 20 years when all these shenanigans weren’t happening. If champ goes to the NBA this will be as bad as the 0-18 roster. Take your blinders off
If you think this is worse than the worst team in major college basketball over the past 30 years...I can’t help you. I mean, you’re showing that you don’t even understand basic math.

Why? It is a new AD and according to USA Today he is probably getting paid maybe only a bit more than Capel, so why wouldn’t he be interested? All of the insiders keep saying it was Scout Barnes, Scott Barnes, SCOTT BARNES that forced him out. With a new AD why not recapture some glory?

No one is firing Capel. I would be suprised if Heather would even talk to Jeff about the assistants. I think the most she does it know what’s going on and try to help him with the recruiting for 2021. I don’t se show next year gets any better so everything will depend on 2023. If after that year you don’t see some recruits and team starting to come together than he could be on hot seat. No way until than.

Reactions: DORT
Would your mind change if he were fired by TCU next year? His buddy who was the AD is long gone and his seat could very well heat up soon.

No ... I believe Jamie Dixon did an incredible job here, and even his work in his last five years should have been appreciated much more than it was by many Pitt fans. I believe he is an excellent coach. But if Capel ends up failing, this program will need new directions.

Again, there are few who were bigger fans of Dixon than I but I don't think he's the right person now

I also highly, highly doubt he would ever come back here.

Reactions: Parkview57
You're out of your mind, what have they done lately

He’s going to need a serious uptick to get to year 6. At the moment it’s a little tough to see where the uptick comes from.
How did we go from were back to this? I preceded your were back by one game.

Could the loss of Hugley been that important or was it just inevitable that this set of players could not continue to play team ball?

Were back becomes Capel has to go, just like that?

There is zero chance that Dixon makes a turn back to Pitt. I’m going to see what happens here in the next 12 months and see if Capel can somehow get this turned around. However, I would absolutely take a hard look at gauging the interest of Joe Lombardi, Woodall and Knight and pick their brains in how you win at Pitt.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
How did we go from were back to this? I preceded your were back by one game.

Could the loss of Hugley been that important or was it just inevitable that this set of players could not continue to play team ball?

Were back becomes Capel has to go, just like that?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Capel has to go. But thing are bad, and they could even get worse I suspect.

And I was completely wrong to say we were back. I was completely fooled.

It think it simply became inevitable that this set of players could not continue to play team ball. I don't think Hugley's loss played a part in this at all.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Capel has to go. But thing are bad, and they could even get worse I suspect.

And I was completely wrong to say we were back. I was completely fooled.

It think it simply became inevitable that this set of players could not continue to play team ball. I don't think Hugley's loss played a part in this at all.
Thanks for the reply

He’s going to need a serious uptick to get to year 6. At the moment it’s a little tough to see where the uptick comes from.

yep, year 5 is the make or break year. Need to pull out all stops in the 2022 class for immediate impact players. Get Schifino no matter what. Another 5-15 or 4-14 ACC record and that will be it, the Pete will be back to Stallings levels, or maybe even current Covid levels.

:pWhat if he goes 0-18 next year?

I think 6 or less ACC wins gets him fired after year 4. If there isn't significant reason for hope after next year, like 3 or 4 Top 40 type players in the pipeline, I think somebody will step up and stroke the check for a buyout. There is no reason to keep him around after that. The situation is toxic enough as it is.

I think 6 or less ACC wins gets him fired after year 4. If there isn't significant reason for hope after next year, like 3 or 4 Top 40 type players in the pipeline, I think somebody will step up and stroke the check for a buyout. There is no reason to keep him around after that. The situation is toxic enough as it is.

This Covid year is the get out of jail free card, everyone gets a pass, except the SEC in football or Texas. So two more years are guaranteed. But assuming Covid is finally tamed for next season the clock starts ticking and year 5 is for all the marbles

He’s getting another season even if he fails like stalling next year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT