ADVERTISEMENT

Last three run defenses

MarshallGoldberg

All Conference
Oct 23, 2017
Wake - one of the worst we'll see this year. fired their DC mid-season. They are giving up 5.2 per carry, including sacks counting against that.
Miami - stout, one of the few things they've done well this year. 3.4 yards per carry (includes sacks.) Some injuries though.
Clemson - the best front four in the country. they give up 2.3 yards per carry (includes sacks.)

Overall, Miami and Clemson are #2 and #3 nationally in D after Michigan. Wake is #121.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I'm actually looking forward to facing a stout run d. I think Pickett has made strides to where he can shoulder more of the load.

Not worried about Miami. They are a beaten team. Pitt has shown they can impose their will on teams

I do like how are D has been playing save for 3 quarters against Duke

No one picked us to beat Clemson last time,if we shock the world and beat them again that would be huge for us

Wake - one of the worst we'll see this year. fired their DC mid-season. They are giving up 5.2 per carry, including sacks counting against that.
Miami - stout, one of the few things they've done well this year. 3.4 yards per carry (includes sacks.) Some injuries though.
Clemson - the best front four in the country. they give up 2.3 yards per carry (includes sacks.)

Overall, Miami and Clemson are #2 and #3 nationally in D after Michigan. Wake is #121.
That's good. We'll see how they look after they play us.

There may be impressive run defenses, but these are defenses today that usually face teams that treat the running game as a vague afterthought. I have been surprised over and over this season in the success we've had with the Land Of Misfit OL and backs that are solid but not like Shady or Conner, and minimal passing threat ... but ive concluded these teams just haven't had to deal with an offense quite like ours, not even GT. Maybe defense of today are simply softer now and wilt easier with such relentless constant grinding. So maybe that'll continue.

Some have said Clemson's front 4 is the best of all time.

Fiance went to Clemson so I watch them every week. Believe me, their defense is as good as advertised. Their DT are monsters who can do it all: stuff the run, penetrate, eat 2 blockers each, etc. Their corners are extremely physical and active in the run game. They will explode from off screen to make a TFL on the edge or blow up a bubble screen. They will be - by far - the best team Pitt plays all year and probably for the next few years. They absolutely manhandled BC, another tough running team, on the road. I'm not sure BC had 5 first downs by the time I turned it off.

FWIW Ncst passed twice as many times as they rushed.
that's true, but look at the per rush average, I think that was under 2 ypc, so when the Wolfpack tried to run the ball, they couldn't. Hopefully our run game is rolling and we'll continue to run the ball like we have.

BC had over 200 yards against Miami
UVA has 140 and a 3.5 average

Pitt will be able to run the ball against the Canes who will be playing out the string.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT