ADVERTISEMENT

Least Popular Pitt Coach in Recent History: Graham or Stallings?

mehinpgh

All Conference
Dec 6, 2004
I guess I should have done this as a poll, but I am curious what people think: if this year is as much as an abomination as most of us think and Stallings takes a buyout at the end of the year, does he go down as the least popular coach or is it Fraud Graham? I am not even going to consider Heywood since he was never really the coach...

I guess I should have done this as a poll, but I am curious what people think: if this year is as much as an abomination as most of us think and Stallings takes a buyout at the end of the year, does he go down as the least popular coach or is it Fraud Graham? I am not even going to consider Heywood since he was never really the coach...
Stallings by far was the least liked while HC at Pitt.

Reactions: levance2

Stallings will have to bury this program before I consider him worse than Graham.

While coach? Stallings. I don't know how I won't like Stallings more after he is gone from Pitt. Graham, I never liked as HC, but obviously the hate came after he snuck out of town. Haywood was the worst hire, though. Luckily he screwed it up immediately. I have no idea how a P5 program hired that man.

While coach? Stallings. I don't know how I won't like Stallings more after he is gone from Pitt. Graham, I never liked as HC, but obviously the hate came after he snuck out of town. Haywood was the worst hire, though. Luckily he screwed it up immediately. I have no idea how a P5 program hired that man.
The Haywood hire took place prior to the Haywood alleged "incident' which resulted in his termination! Haywood came from a MAC school yet I believe you have no problem with the new AD who came from the same conference!
He had a very good MAC football record!

The Haywood hire took place prior to the Haywood alleged "incident' which resulted in his termination! Haywood came from a MAC school yet I believe you have no problem with the new AD who came from the same conference!
Haywood won a conference championship as head coach.

Perhaps he was over his head and we dodged a bullet...
Because his staff was garbage...
But,he may have been okay

Graham was basically best case scenario after the firing/hiring/firing bs that preceded him. At least he had the resume and good sense to bolt from Pitt when he could see the relationship was doomed. Barnes tied a brick to our feet and threw us in the Ohio River when it comes to Stallings. If KS fled in the dark of night, we'd wake up and party.

Really? It's come to this? How about Carl DePasqua? Not even close.

He was 10-15 as a MAC coach.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Graham wasn't here long enough to develop such a dislike. Though as the season went along my personal dislike and distrust grew more and more as he spoke.

Also, Todd Graham at the time, was somewhat of a hot commodity within coaching ranks. Kevin Stallings was not.

He was 10-15 as a MAC coach.
Misleading data he won the MAC in 2010. He took over a bad program and moved them to the champs!
Its important to look at data and tell the story not just throw it on a piece of paper. A monkey can be trained to do that!
Coaching experience: 2009-10: Miami (Ohio) head coach, 11-15 record, 2010 Mid-American Conference champions, school's first since 2003; 2005-08: Notre Dame, offensive coordinator and running backs coach; 2003-04: Texas, running backs coach; 1995-2002: Louisiana State, running backs coach.

ND, Texas and LSU experience prior to the MAC job and winning the MAC title!

Last edited:
Graham wasn't here long enough to develop such a dislike. Though as the season went along my personal dislike and distrust grew more and more as he spoke.

Also, Todd Graham at the time, was somewhat of a hot commodity within coaching ranks. Kevin Stallings was not.

Graham was a bullshit artist that some of us saw through from the start. In one year Graham further damaged the program and made our school a laughing stock when he left for his "dream job". In some ways I feel we are still feeling the effects of his stay. Approaching seven years and I'm still waiting for us to post a record better than the one that got Wanny fired.

Stallings on the other hand, committed the unforgivable crime of succeeding our best ever basketball coach. He also was unable to elevate a low ceiling team into a tournament. Not a fanboy and next year I may flip my opinion, but today Graham wins the award hands down.

Not done. I know you smart guys already have this figured out, but I think I'll wait a year or two before passing judgement.
Each stallings and graham had1 year as coach so apples to apples.

Graham is hated for leaving after 1year.

Let's be real- you hated graham because he wasn't dave wannstedt.

Stallings is hated for remaining.

Graham took a mediocre prigram and was mediocre .
Stallings had a Losing season with a tournament team.

And his follow up season will be even worse

I dislike almost all of your posts but the comment in RED is very funny.
Most coaches are hated for leaving or just plain being terrible and getting fired.
Stalling is hated for remaining! LOL!
I wonder how many other coaches are or have been hated for hanging around?

And I can say you hate Kevin Stallings for not being Jamie Dixon. Because you never gave him a chance.

Reactions: gary2 and FireballZ
lolwat?

I know exactly when the "incident" happened and that was a lucky coincidence for Pitt. The guy was an awful, awful hire and that was clear even before he had the worst introductory press conference ever.

What does the MAC or Heather Lyke have to do with this? I am talking about Haywood as a person, coach, and face of a program. He was an atrocious hire. I don't know how anyone could have interviewed him and then hired him. As for Lyke? I am relatively undecided. I have doubts she was the best candidate for the job, based on her resume, but only time will really tell there. She can't be worse than Barnes and he had a resume, which seemed pretty darn good for Pitt.

Misleading data he won the MAC in 2010. He took over a bad program and moved them to the champs!
Its important to look at data and tell the story not just throw it on a piece of paper. A monkey can be trained to do that!
Coaching experience: 2009-10: Miami (Ohio) head coach, 11-15 record, 2010 Mid-American Conference champions, school's first since 2003; 2005-08: Notre Dame, offensive coordinator and running backs coach; 2003-04: Texas, running backs coach; 1995-2002: Louisiana State, running backs coach.

In this thread we literally have Buffett defending the hiring of Mike Haywood and staff. I can't believe it.

Wasn't the OC he wanted to hire like 80 years old?

Mike Haywood was garbage even before he slapped his baby momma around.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Wasn't the OC he wanted to hire like 80 years old?

Mike Haywood was garbage even before he slapped his baby momma around.
Yes, one of the coordinators was in his late 70s or 80s, and people like Gary77 spun it as unbelievable experience no one else could match. Unbelievable.

Say what you want. ,but KS will stay and fight on Graham ran away as fast as he could .
Talking of Haywood does anyone know how much it cost Pitt to settle his wrongful termination suit ?
The long term incompetence of Pitt athletics is almost criminal .

Reactions: NTOP

No more butt hurt than you hating Stallings because he wasn't Dixon.

Three straight winning seasons is not mediocre. A 6-7 season is not mediocre, it's called losing.

Not a tournament team no matter how much you bleat otherwise. It was proven last year with their play.

Say what you want. ,but KS will stay and fight on Graham ran away as fast as he could .
Talking of Haywood does anyone know how much it cost Pitt to settle his wrongful termination suit ?
Graham got another (and better) offer. That isn't happening with Kevin Stallings. The situations are entirely different.

Dude.

You posted, "He had a very good MAC football record!"

He was 11-15 as a MAC coach.

That isn't "misleading."

It is a certifiable, undeniable, absolute fact.

Unless you think someone like Arizona St will come around with bags money to lure KS away, then yes, KS will stay .

Dude.

You posted, "He had a very good MAC football record!"

He was 11-15 as a MAC coach.

That isn't "misleading."

It is a certifiable, undeniable, absolute fact.
He took over a bad program had one bad year and won the MAC championship the next year Clyde! Record in the form of a championship and I believe an 11-1 season. When's the last time we had either!
Certifiable definately is a keyword for the Lair Free Board!
clyde-300x231.jpg

He took over a bad program had one bad year and won the MAC championship the next year Clyde! Record in the form of a championship and I believe an 11-1 season. When's the last time we had either!
clyde-300x231.jpg
10-4, but who is counting?

clyde-300x231.jpg

America, 2017.

A fact free zone.

Each choice has a bad AD attached at hip

Graham was obnoxious, cocky, and you always got the impression he felt like he was better than Pitt. But what we don't know is how Pederson mishandled him and overpromised him. We all know Pederson and Nordenberg were not paying for more than heads above water programs and thought they could maintain mastery in hoops on the cheap. Anyway, for those Graham haters, he might get canned this year if he doesn't win. His act is insufferable when he's not winning.

Stallings always comes with Barnes attached, I remember the horror I felt when I read about the hire. Nothing has subsided.

I wish the entrepreneurial spirit that drives UPMC forward (another huge acquisition yesterday) could be imparted to Pitt athletics. Basketball needs a infusion of cash to find a young, attractive to recruits coach who can rebuild the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT