ADVERTISEMENT

Legislation on PIAA

Yes those BG teams could compete against 3A schools. Not today's BG teams, which is still a good program/team, but not world beaters anymore. But those State Title BG teams could have played a 3A schedule and competed. Still if you forced them to 6A it would have been a safety concern.

You are ignoring my arguments that Blairsville or Penn Manor playing against BG once a year is not the same as Canevin or even BG team that you say could have competed in 3A, playing a full schedule of 6A teams with a schedule looking like Butler, Hempfield, Norwin, BP, Mt Lebo, North Allegheny, Pine Richland, Pittsburgh Central Catholic. There is no way a school that size can complete a full season like that. Those schools are now playing and in some circumstances, starting 9th graders as there is no freshman or JV teams. All those 6A schools have freshman and JV teams and if you are 9th grade playing and starting varsity it is because you really are that good, not because you are a warm body like these small private schools.

And you're ignoring mine by trying to compare every private school to 6A. I'm not even saying you're wrong. But when one of these "small schools" stacks itself, how is that any less dangerous to the teams on their schedule?

Back before BG was on anyone's radar, I watched a really nice 3-star QB get bludgeoned to injury by another 1A private school. The public school was a 2A and their OL was giving up an average of 20 pounds to the private school's LB's (line was much worse). It was kind of awful to watch. They did the same thing to the 3A school they played that year. That private school was pulling in the best players from as far as thirty miles away and was just huge compared to every team they played.

I implied? What the heck are you talking about? That was about one single A versus another. Take your time and slow down.

Yep - pure hyperbole. You make a false statement and when called on it, you have a convenient loss of memory

And you're ignoring mine by trying to compare every private school to 6A. I'm not even saying you're wrong. But when one of these "small schools" stacks itself, how is that any less dangerous to the teams on their schedule?

Back before BG was on anyone's radar, I watched a really nice 3-star QB get bludgeoned to injury by another 1A private school. The public school was a 2A and their OL was giving up an average of 20 pounds to the private school's LB's (line was much worse). It was kind of awful to watch. They did the same thing to the 3A school they played that year. That private school was pulling in the best players from as far as thirty miles away and was just huge compared to every team they played.

Yes what you are describing is dangerous on a per game basis. Now times that by a 10 game regular season. You want a single A against 3A schedule I shut up. You want single A or AA against 6A schedule, sorry can't agree. A game here and there sure but a season is too much for schools that size.

At the very least the non boundary schools should have to play up one level. I think 2 in fb and bb is fair and in wrestling they should have to be 3a, since there is only 2a and 3a.

A lot of these problems would be remedied if the good non boundary teams would voluntarily play up. In the smaller classifications, there is no way that a small A boundary school can compete against the non boundaries that do recruit, especially in the larger team sports (soccer, football, etc).

Do you think these non boundary schools recruit?

St Joe's Prep
Imhotep Charter
Penn Charter
Roman Catholic
Archbishop Wood
Neumann Goretti
Bishop McDevitt (3)
Erie Cathedral Prep
Pittsburgh Central Catholic
Bethlehem Catholic
ACC
Bishop Guilfoyle