ADVERTISEMENT

Lehigh/Maryland Dual Meets

wrestlingfan22

Scholarship
Dec 11, 2022
Lehigh on Sunday and Maryland on Monday. Looking for some bounce back wins
Lehigh Preview:
Lehigh is coming off a very good weekend at Journeyman while Pitt is coming off a poor performance against Navy. This match should have some intriguing matchups/ lots of close matches

125: Camacho vs Seymour. They met 1x before in January 2021 where Camacho won in TB1. Last year Camacho beat Carter Bailey 4-2 (He is now up at 141). Seymour has had a better start to the season than Camacho, his best win so far is Troy Hohman, but he does have three loses 2 to ranked guys at 125 and 1 to the reigning D3 national champ. One possible factor could be Luke Stanich, true freshman who appears to be redshirting, they could use one of his dates and considering that he won the Princeton Open bracket Seymour took 3rd in, they may think he gives them the better shot. Regardless this is a match that could go either way.

133: Ryan Crookham is now the (arguably) number 1 ranked guy in the nation at 133. A fellow redshirt freshman he presents a very interesting measuring stick for Vin. Obviously the other wrinkle is McGonagle, who was just ranked 6th before Crookham took him out, but I would expect it to be Vin vs Crookham here. This will be interesting to see how Vin fares against a top 3-5 guy at the weight. A weight where Lehigh is favorited

141: Matthews vs Hines. This is a match between two guys in the same lower AA/ Blood Round spot in the rankings. Hines had a big win at Journeyman over past AA CJ Composto, but was majored 15-3 by Bartlett. Hines and Matthews have somehow never faced off but they have many common opponents, against which Matthews has faired better but it is very safe to say this will likely be a close and stressful match. Definite toss up.

149: I would expect this to be Solomon vs Reinsel/Griffin. Reinsel beat Griffin at Princeton Open but had a 0-3 journeyman performance. Either way this is a match I expect Finn to win and I hope he can show some of the offense/point scoring ability he has shown in the past. Pitt favored here.

157: Keslar vs Brignola. Brignola is 8-1 with his only loss coming to Levi Haines so far. He will be the favorite I think, however Keslar's win over Joey Blaze is aging very well, and shows that he definitely has the capability to pick up some big wins. Lehigh favored in this one.

In the first half I would say there are 2 toss ups, 2 Lehigh favored and 1 Pitt favored. But none of these are matches where I would that shocked if either guy won. Should be very entertaining

165: Heller vs Logan, Logan is a former NQ up at 174, who has started out well at 165, going 7-1 so far. His best win is NC State starter AJ Kovacs, his only loss is to Julian Ramirez. Heller is the favorite and hopefully he can get into the scrambles he excels in. Pitt favored.

174: Augustine vs Lawrence. Lawrence is 2-2 so far this season, Lehigh didn't wrestle any of their 174s at journeyman so it's possible someone else gets the nod. Augustine is a real favorite and this is one of the matches where I see bonus being attainable. Pitt favored.

184: Heller vs Rogers. Rogers is a redshirt freshman who is 5-2 so far, his best win is PSU backup Donovan Ball. Heller should be the favorite, but his style always leaves him open to something going wrong. But I expect him to win and could see him really put it on Rogers. Pitt Favored.

197:Stout vs Beard, Stout's first career match against an AA. The experience makes me think Beard is the favorite, but he can be a very up and down wrestler. Mac has a real shot to cement himself as part of the AA tier of guys at 197. Lehigh favored.

285: Pitzer vs Taylor, Last season Pfitzer majored Taylor in his D1 debut, but despite this the recent trends make this match a toss up. Taylor is 8-1 this season with his only loss being to Kerk. He beat Trephan (who beat Pitzer last season and was ranked top 10) at Journeyman. I see this match a toss up, but also a chance for Pitzer to make a statement.

In the second half I have 1 toss up, 1 Lehigh favored and 3 Pitt favored.
Overall I have it 4 Pitt favored, 3 Lehigh favored and 3 tossups. This is very much a swing dual where a few tight matches and any possible bonus points will be the difference

Last edited:
Lehigh Preview:
Lehigh is coming off a very good weekend at Journeyman while Pitt is coming off a poor performance against Navy. This match should have some intriguing matchups/ lots of close matches

125: Camacho vs Seymour. They met 1x before in January 2021 where Camacho won in TB1. Last year Camacho beat Carter Bailey 4-2 (He is now up at 141). Seymour has had a better start to the season than Camacho, his best win so far is Troy Hohman, but he does have three loses 2 to ranked guys at 125 and 1 to the reigning D3 national champ. One possible factor could be Luke Stanich, true freshman who appears to be redshirting, they could use one of his dates and considering that he won the Princeton Open bracket Seymour took 3rd in, they may think he gives them the better shot. Regardless this is a match that could go either way.

133: Ryan Crookham is now the (arguably) number 1 ranked guy in the nation at 133. A fellow redshirt freshman he presents a very interesting measuring stick for Vin. Obviously the other part of the wrinkle is McGonagle, who was just ranked 6th before Crookham took him out, but I would expect it to be Vin vs Crookham here. This will be interesting to see how Vin fares against a top 3-5 guy at the weight. A weight where Lehigh is favorited

141: Matthews vs Hines. This is a match between two guys in the same lower AA/ Blood Round spot in the rankings. Hines had a big win at Journeyman over past AA CJ Composto, but was majored 15-3 by Bartlett. Hines and Matthews have somehow never faced off but they have many common opponents, against which Matthews has faired better but it is very safe to say this will likely be a close and stressful match. Definite toss up.

149: I would expect this to be Solomon vs Reinsel/Griffin. Reinsel beat Griffin at Princeton Open but had a 0-3 journeyman performance. Either way this is a match I expect Finn to win and I hope he can show some of the offense/point scoring ability he has shown in the past. Pitt favored here.

157: Keslar vs Brignola. Brignola is 8-1 with his only loss coming to Levi Haines so far. He will be the favorite I think, however Keslar's win over Joey Blaze is aging very well, and shows that he definitely has the capability to pick up some big wins. Lehigh favored in this one.

In the first half I would say there are 2 toss ups, 2 Lehigh favored and 1 Pitt favored. But none of these are matches where I would that shocked if either guy won. Should be very entertaining

165: Heller vs Logan, Logan is a former NQ up at 174, who has started out well at 165, going 7-1 so far. His best win is NC State starter AJ Kovacs, his only loss is to Julian Ramirez. Heller is the favorite and hopefully he can get into the scrambles he excels in. Pitt favored.

174: Augustine vs Lawrence. Lawrence is 2-2 so far this season, Lehigh didn't wrestle any of their 174s at journeyman so it's possible someone else gets the nod. Augustine is a real favorite and this is one of the matches where I see bonus being attainable. Pitt favored.

184: Heller vs Rogers. Rogers is a redshirt freshman who is 5-2 so far, his best win is PSU backup Donovan Ball. Heller should be the favorite, but his style always leaves him open to something going wrong. But I expect him to win and could see him really put it on Rogers. Pitt Favored.

197:Stout vs Beard, Stout's first career match against an AA. The experience makes me think Beard is the favorite, but he can be a very up and down wrestler. Mac has a real shot to cement himself as part of the AA tier of guys at 197. Lehigh favored.

285: Pfitzer vs Taylor, Last season Pfitzer majored Taylor in his D1 debut, but despite this the recent trends make this match a toss up. Taylor is 8-1 this season with his only loss being to Kerk. He beat Trephan (who beat Pfitzer last season and was ranked top 10) at Journeyman. I see this match a toss up, but also a chance for Pfitzer to make a statement.

Overall I have it 4 Pitt favored, 3 Lehigh favored and 3 tossups. This is very much a swing dual where a few tight matches and any possible bonus points will be the difference
Thanks for the great preview. H2P

Lehigh Preview:

133: Ryan Crookham is now the (arguably) number 1 ranked guy in the nation at 133. A fellow redshirt freshman he presents a very interesting measuring stick for Vin. Obviously the other part of the wrinkle is McGonagle, who was just ranked 6th before Crookham took him out, but I would expect it to be Vin vs Crookham here. This will be interesting to see how Vin fares against a top 3-5 guy at the weight. A weight where Lehigh is favorited

285: Pfitzer vs Taylor, Last season Pfitzer majored Taylor in his D1 debut, but despite this the recent trends make this match a toss up. Taylor is 8-1 this season with his only loss being to Kerk. He beat Trephan (who beat Pfitzer last season and was ranked top 10) at Journeyman. I see this match a toss up, but also a chance for Pfitzer to make a statement.

Great recap. Looking forward to many of the matchups. Im going Pitt 22-13 in a rebound performance .

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Maryland Preview:
This match is the very next day and could end up in a "let down" match so to speak.
125: Camacho vs Brown. Brown pinned Camacho in this dual last season. Brown was 1-2 at NCAAs last season. He is 1-2 this season with both losses coming by major. He also medical forfeited out of The Tiger Style Invite after losing one match. So it is possible a backup gets the nod, in that case I would expect at least a major from Camacho. I have this match as a toss up, I believe that Camacho can be right there with these NCAA Qualifiers

133: Santaniello vs King Sandoval. Sandoval is a 6th year senior with 90 career matches. However nothing in his career/results make me think he should be the favorite. I say Vin is the favorite but it could end up being a tough matchup due to the experience difference. Sandoval didn't compete this past weekend, if a backup goes I would expect lots of points to be put up by Vin. Pitt favored

141: Cole Matthews vs Kal Miller. Miller is a true Sophmore who went 2-2 last season at 141. All of his matches tend to be close, including a 7 match Big 10 losing streak last year, all by decision. He beat Koderhandt (who Matthews just lost to) at NCAAs last season. Cole is the favorite based on his career body of work but this should be another classic Matthews nailbiter. Pitt favored.

149:Solomon vs Ethen Miller, the older Miller brother (A RS Sophomore) was a NCAA qualifier last year, going 1-2. He had a very solid 27-9 year, going 1-2 at NCAAs. He beat Baggett 9-4 in this dual last year. This match is a pure toss up and could easily go either way.

157: Keslar vs North. North is 2-2 this season, went 16-10 last year. He beat Cheese in the dual last year in a close match. I would put this match as a toss up, but Keslar will need to score some points to beat North most likely, he tends to have some higher scoring matches.

First half 3 toss ups, 2 Pitt favored.

165: Heller vs John Martin Best. JMB is 1-3 so far, injury defaulting out of 2 matches this past weekend. If he goes he is an interesting opponent as he has had many very close matches against good opponents throughout the years, but more often than not on the losing end. Heller is favored but it might be closer than we would like. If he can't go and the backup does I would expect Heller to win more comfortably. Pitt favored

174: Augustine vs Solis, Last year Solis beat Luca 3-1 in SV in this dual. This is a pure toss up match, but Luca finished last year stronger than Solis, had a good offseason and started the year off well. So I am hoping he can get the job done.

184:Heller vs Mielnik, Heller won 10-4 in this dual last year. He is the definite favorite and I would expect for him to look for an even larger margin of victory. Pitt favored

197:Stout vs Smith, Smith is a stud, who went 2-2 at NCAAs last year, losing in blood round to Max Dean. At big 10s and throughout the season he beat multiple AAs. However I consider this match to be a tossup due to the very similar results between Stout and Smith on shared opponents. This can go either way, and depending on how Sunday goes be an opportunity for Stout to make a true statement nationally.

285: Pitzer vs Seth Nevills. Nevills hasn't wrestled more than 5 matches in a season since 2020, but is 4-1 so far this year with his only lose coming to Elam. I would count this as a toss up, especially due to the fact that Nevills is a full 285 with some tremendous talent, that spent around 5 years training in the PSU room. Pitzer winning this match could really boost his confidence in regards to his size.

Second half, 3 toss ups, 2 Pitt favored.
Overall 6 toss up, 4 Pitt favored. This should be another very interesting dual. We could dominate and win 8+ matches but we could also disappoint and drop all of these toss ups. I am more confident in this dual than the Lehigh dual but we have seen with this Pitt team that you can never be sure.

Last edited:
Lehigh Preview:

133: Ryan Crookham is now the (arguably) number 1 ranked guy in the nation at 133. A fellow redshirt freshman he presents a very interesting measuring stick for Vin. Obviously the other wrinkle is McGonagle, who was just ranked 6th before Crookham took him out, but I would expect it to be Vin vs Crookham here. This will be interesting to see how Vin fares against a top 3-5 guy at the weight. A weight where Lehigh is favorited

Great writeup!

But please remove the F from Pitzer's name. It doesn't exist and its driving me insane that you keep putting it in there lol

• Haha
Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Probable matches were just shown on screen. Some backups are going for Lehigh (141, 157)

125:Camacho vs Stanich
133: Vin vs Crookham
141: Matthews vs Bailey
149: Solomon vs Reinsel
157: Keslar vs Frinzi
165: Heller vs Logan
174: Luca vs Lawrence
184: Reece vs Rogers
197: Stout vs Beard
285: Pitzer vs Taylor

Some nice moments from Solomon who gets the win, but second straight week he wrestles a backup and goes to OT.
7-6 Lehigh I think

Would have like to seen matthews go for major. Kelsar went for it at the end.

How is there no clock on this broadcast?

Beard absolutely destroys Mac. I guess we could have seen this coming a bit, Beard has beaten Luke Stout twice easily. They're not the same exact wrestler of course but if you've figured out how to dominate one, you'll probably do well against the other.

Beard also got teched last week by Trent Hidlay. Doesn't look like anyone will touch him in the ACC

I never saw that coming, TF is domination. Thought stout would of been closer
With the new scoring rules, it's possible to give up a tech and still wrestle somewhat well. This wasn't that. Beard bullied him with hand fighting, had him completely off balance and scored at will. Most of the takedowns were clean finishes.

With the new scoring rules, it's possible to give up a tech and still wrestle somewhat well. This wasn't that. Beard bullied him with hand fighting, had him completely off balance and scored at will. Most of the takedowns were clean finishes.
Totally agree. Expected a competitive match. Some work to be done.

Definitely some bright spots overall today. Expect a solid team win tomorrow.

Reactions: Eric_Knopsnyder
Decent performance today. Winning vs Lehigh is always an accomplishment so won’t nitpick too many things. Even with their backup at a couple weights I have always contended Lehigh has ridiculous depth we two or three guys at one weight class who is starter capable. Pitt is getting there at a few weights themselves. Good to see Dayton get that win, looked tired hopefully that newly added weight will get easier to deal with. Tough one for Stout but this will be a big year for him. Getting to NCAAs is the goal and hopefully win a few matches. Finn finds a way to win which I love to see. Maryland is even tougher. Excited to see that I guess I will spend the tens bucks to watch but not sure yet. Always bought big ten plus for midlands but for one match I’ll have to look and see what’s coming on that network for the next 30 days

Is anyone able to watch this? I tried on the Big + app, but it says stream not found. I'm logged in and paid up, but no stream.\

ETA: working now

Man, Brown must have been killing himself to get to 125. He's a different wrestler at 133

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT