ADVERTISEMENT

"Level of program" nonsense...

Apr 26, 2012
There is so much chatter about what level of program Pitt has compared to other schools, in terms of what coach they may be able to hire.

But many things will go into a coach's decision. Dixon went down in level with his new job. Presumably big money, control, and a chance for a fresh start/challenge were the reasons.

It seems like Sean Miller won't come to Pitt, but the idea that it won't happen simply because Zona is a higher level program is too simplistic. They are both P5 schools that routinely make the tournament.

If he is feeling the heat there, is offered enough money at Pitt, wants to come back east, compete in the ACC, and wants his team to go into the tournament having been tested all season against eastern rather than soft PAC12 competition, "level of program" won't mean a thing. He will be able to recruit just as well, if not better at Pitt as he did at Arizona, because HE is the recruiter, not the school. Calipari could take any job at this point, maybe even the crappy BC job, and continue to recruit one-and-done types because of his rep.

I'm not saying that Sean wouldn't be a slam dunk, because he would be, but let's not pretend that he hasn't had his own issues in the tournament. I certainly don't see any Final Fours on his resume, and he's had VASTLY superior talent.

Of course, finding a coach that has made the Final Four isn't easy as it sounds. It's just hilarious to me that everyone screams at Dixon for underacheiving in the tournament, but are at the same time jerking themselves off under the table over a coach who has replaced Dixon as the most notable coach to have never made it..

I'm presuming Miller won't come here for other reasons, but my comment was about this stuff about how Pitt isn't an elite program. A good, experienced coach who can recruit can take this program to another level. The support will be there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT