ADVERTISEMENT

Lingard to MLS?

Again, you have a favorite MLS team. Most Americans do not and need a reason to watch. Joe Soccer Fan isnt turning on ESPN to watch Miami vs Atlanta to see 2 teams of 2nd tier South Americans. They want to see brand name players.
And again, you could adopt a team, there are teams that fit your attitude, become an LAFC fan, they're loaded with international stars, LA Galaxy is another option for you, they've had a revolving door of glamorous stars, in the East NYFC has had recognizable names. But yeah, you can be a fan of one of the LA-LAs, their home games look more big time than EPL and they always sign NAMES.

So then CLEARLY I am an MLS FAN and a SOCCER FAN, the ability to adopt an MLS team in itself makes me actually a better American soccer fan, I watch the inferior American based league. I admit, I actually adopted DC in 1996 when the local broadcasts popped up on my TV in the first year of MLS and they where also MLS Champs that year, so it was easier for me to choose a team.
I don't understand you because you say you only watch Pitt football and couldn't care less about Alabama vs LSU but you will watch New England Revolution vs Montreal? Explain yourself.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I don't understand you because you say you only watch Pitt football and couldn't care less about Alabama vs LSU but you will watch New England Revolution vs Montreal? Explain yourself.
That's easy, in the summer, there aren't many sports options, I never watch baseball or golf, I was watching less MLS when USFL was on because usually I'll choose even low quality American Football over most sports. and I also just hate the whole college football scene the last couple decades, I might watch Army vs. Middle Tennessee or Morgan State vs. Towson or Houston vs. Boise but I hate watching SEC or B1G, so if I'm watching non-Pitt college football there's an abundance of choices. I seriously don't want to help the SEC's TV ratings :)

My viewing of non-DC United MLS games drops to zero once NFL starts, but I always watch the MLS Cup Final.

In my opinion the way the SEC operates ruined college football as we knew it, so I don't want to support it in any way, not even watch part of a game, unless they are playing Pitt.

So why do they do them?
Because people are interested in improving their teams with better players. There’s a huge market for the average sports fan for that kind of stuff.

Because people are interested in improving their teams with better players. There’s a huge market for the average sports fan for that kind of stuff.
But them trying to guess who their team might pick doesn't actually influence the team in any way. I might post in some Facebook discussion, "The Steelers should pick "PLAYER X" " but i'm not under some delusion that they'll read my comment and do it

Who wants to have some fun and predict the cumulative total of game results tonight for all the MLS teams playing euro teams?
DC United plays Bayern
Minnesota plays Everton
Charlotte plays Chelsea
Arsenal plays Orlando City

I’m gonna say MLS goal difference will be -18

barcelona beating Miami 7-0 was a good start.

Bayern might beat DC by a wider margin.

Last edited:
But them trying to guess who their team might pick doesn't actually influence the team in any way. I might post in some Facebook discussion, "The Steelers should pick "PLAYER X" " but i'm not under some delusion that they'll read my comment and do it
You don’t understand how this works do you? Mel kiper has made millions off being a draft guru, even though he probably succeeds 10% of the time. Why? Because average sports fans love this kind of stuff. He has made a living off of the sports appetite of the average sports fan.

Who wants to have some fun and predict the cumulative total of game results tonight for all the MLS teams playing euro teams?
DC United plays Bayern
Minnesota plays Everton
Charlotte plays Chelsea

Are these games on TV? Is this some type of event? Never seen so many games like this in one night

Are these games on TV? Is this some type of event? Never seen so many games like this in one night
I think most are on ESPN+. I know Chelsea and Arsenal are.

as far as an event, they always had that international champions cup but I don’t pay attention to fancy names given to exhibitions so I don’t know if that still exists. But there are a few different promoters/organizers that put these things together, and that’s why there are so many teams each year that come to US. Other teams are in China, Australia, etc.

so tonight you have a chance to see Turner or Pulisic. But it’s tough to flick back and forth when it’s streaming. Both matches are at similar starting time. But Saturday night, Arsenal plays Chelsea from Orlando and you will be able to catch both players at the same time.

Last edited:
DC United plays Bayern
Minnesota plays Everton
Charlotte plays Chelsea

I'd say only Minnesota might put on a good show, if they play their first team, I watched them play DC last week, they looked decent. . DC is seriously in a down period, And their new hot Greek goal scorer Taxi Fountas, is injured and they traded Julien Dressel to Vancouver, I don't get that? He was one of their best guys, but they said something like he doesn't fit Rooney's system, who knows. I bet DC plays their young Americans from the USL-I'm going to watch it, it's on local TV. Orlando is not that good, lost to DC not long ago. Not sure how Charlotte is doing lately.

You don’t understand how this works do you? Mel kiper has made millions off being a draft guru, even though he probably succeeds 10% of the time. Why? Because average sports fans love this kind of stuff. He has made a living off of the sports appetite of the average sports fan.
I understand how it works, I just have very little interest in engaging in it beyond skimming the surface.

I'd say only Minnesota might put on a good show, if they play their first team, I watched them play DC last week, they looked decent. . DC is seriously in a down period, And their new hot Greek goal scorer Taxi Fountas, is injured and they traded Julien Dressel to Vancouver, I don't get that? He was one of their best guys, but they said something like he doesn't fit Rooney's system, who knows. I bet DC plays their young Americans from the USL-I'm going to watch it, it's on local TV. Orlando is not that good, lost to DC not long ago. Not sure how Charlotte is doing lately.
Great example. The Greek guy came from the Austrian league and can't even make the Greek national team as he only has 8 caps on a bad team even by Greek standards. This is the "South American" approach using a European. Nobody outside of DC United fans cares at all about that guy.

Great example. The Greek guy came from the Austrian league and can't even make the Greek national team as he only has 8 caps on a bad team even by Greek standards. This is the "South American" approach using a European. Nobody outside of DC United fans cares at all about that guy.
79 does. He loves Greek men.

Reactions: Pitt79
Yeah, who cares? Did they care in the Austrian League? Or did they just follow their team and leagues, he's good in MLS and that's what matters on the day you are watching MLS. I actually like when they sign Greek guys :)

And I DON'T CARE about world stars playing in the German League, because I don't watch that league at all, ever, not for a minute.

And what about the Austrian League, they're probably worse than MLS, so I guess if you where born and raised in Austria you'd never watch that either :)

Yeah, who cares? Did they care in the Austrian League? Or did they just follow their team and leagues, he's good in MLS and that's what matters on the day you are watching MLS. I actually like when they sign Greek guys :)

And I DON'T CARE about world stars playing in the German League, because I don't watch that league at all, ever, not for a minute.

And what about the Austrian League, they're probably worse than MLS, so I guess if you where born and raised in Austria you'd never watch that either :)
Austrian domestic league fans have a major reason to watch: the top 2 make the CL, the college football equivalent of a big bowl game but way better than that.

Austrian domestic league fans have a major reason to watch: the top 2 make the CL, the college football equivalent of a big bowl game but way better than that.
Who cares? MLS top teams make the CONCACAF CL. Honestly, for me winning the MLS title is an end unto itself, it doesn't need to lead to something more. And in Austria, or England or Pittsburgh or wherever, if a 3rd rate Greek or Peruvian, borderline international is better than the options at a USL affiliate in Louden VA or the ACC, of course you want whoever is better to entertain you with goals when you're watching the game. Whoever joins your team and becomes the star is a star now.

So why do they do them?

They do them because people read them, and when there is a show on television that features them people watch it. And if people read and watch then they can be monetized. If people stopped reading mock drafts and people stopped watching shows that involved mock drafts then mock drafts would (for the most part) go away. But as long as people pay attention to them, and as long as the outlets can turn that attention into money, they are going to continue.

Do you really not understand something as basic as that?

I understand how it works, I just have very little interest in engaging in it beyond skimming the surface.

And this is it in a nutshell. You assume that because you don't really care that therefore NO ONE cares and you can't understand the point.

Everyone doesn't think like you. Everyone doesn't like the same things as you. Just because you don't watch or pay attention to something that doesn't mean that no one watches or pays attention.

DC United plays Bayern
Minnesota plays Everton
Charlotte plays Chelsea

@mike412
San Jose plays Celta Viga. I never heard of them. Are they a perennial La LIGA team? Recently promoted? I know it’s just an exhibition but will San Jose give them a game tonight?

They do them because people read them, and when there is a show on television that features them people watch it. And if people read and watch then they can be monetized. If people stopped reading mock drafts and people stopped watching shows that involved mock drafts then mock drafts would (for the most part) go away. But as long as people pay attention to them, and as long as the outlets can turn that attention into money, they are going to continue.

Do you really not understand something as basic as that?
No I'm not talking about TV guys like Kiper, I mean average nobodies who spend hours doing something that is never anywhere near correct.

And this is it in a nutshell. You assume that because you don't really care that therefore NO ONE cares and you can't understand the point.

Everyone doesn't think like you. Everyone doesn't like the same things as you. Just because you don't watch or pay attention to something that doesn't mean that no one watches or pays attention.
I don't assume anything, you play amateur psychologist because I state an opinion that I don't care, then you extrapolate that I also think nobody else cares when I never explicitly said that.

DC lost 6-2 to Bayern, I saw the 2nd half, DC scored 2 goals in the second half by USL guys called up for the game, 2nd half was competitive 3-2. But I don't know Bayern players, so it may have been all scrubs, other than Muller, who scored their last goal.

At one point they showed a graphic, showed DC United exists 27 years and has 4 MLS Championships. Bayern has 32 of the last 58 Bundesliga Championships, including THE LAST TEN! Wow! That league sucks! What's interesting about it? Not at all competitive! it's worse than college football! At least Bama ONLY won 5 of the last 10, LOL :)

By the way, I was right that Minnesota United would do the best in these friendlies, they beat Everton 4-0. I know Everton is EPL, but no idea where they rank.

@mike412
San Jose plays Celta Viga. I never heard of them. Are they a perennial La LIGA team? Recently promoted? I know it’s just an exhibition but will San Jose give them a game tonight?
Mid to lower tier La Liga is my impression of them without looking it up

Mid to lower tier La Liga is my impression of them without looking it up
Well yeah they aren’t top tier otherwise we’d know of them. Just don’t know if they are always La LIGA or a team that’s up and down, newly promoted, etc.

All those Euro Leagues are pretty non-competitive and top heavy, after the 1st 2-3 teams they are pretty irrelevant. I knew it was bad, but Bayern Munich TEN STRAIGHT championships, that's nuts, not much drama in that league, give me MLS and an American style playoff bracket any day. Quality is less, but at least it's not 90% predictable. There is a minority group of people who live in Europe and follow MLS, specifically because of this reason.

Well yeah they aren’t top tier otherwise we’d know of them. Just don’t know if they are always La LIGA or a team that’s up and down, newly promoted, etc.
My impression of them is they are there every year, not up and down.

DC lost 6-2 to Bayern, I saw the 2nd half, DC scored 2 goals in the second half by USL guys called up for the game, 2nd half was competitive 3-2. But I don't know Bayern players, so it may have been all scrubs, other than Muller, who scored their last goal.

At one point they showed a graphic, showed DC United exists 27 years and has 4 MLS Championships. Bayern has 32 of the last 58 Bundesliga Championships, including THE LAST TEN! Wow! That league sucks! What's interesting about it? Not at all competitive! it's worse than college football! At least Bama ONLY won 5 of the last 10, LOL :)

By the way, I was right that Minnesota United would do the best in these friendlies, they beat Everton 4-0. I know Everton is EPL, but no idea where they rank.
Bayern has always built a very strong team. They are the bama of the BL. Look at their history of players and they are always stacked. Doesn’t hurt they have a good budget also. BM clearly in a different level than DCU, but one gol was a PK, one was a deflection, and the last goal was a major defensive breakdown for a breakaway. Take away bad defense and the game wouldn’t necessarily look 6-2. I think more like 3-0 or 4-1. Bayern brought a lot of inexperienced players with them including a 16 year old and lower level players. They demonstrate exactly what building a pro team looks like with your lower level team and preparing the young guys for playing at the highest level. Bringing in some big time players to keep their strength alive. Not to mention having one of the best goalies in the world. Asking if Mueller will score is like asking a kid if they want ice cream, it’s always of course. Mueller is a gifted player who is on the end of his career but he has been awesome in the World Cup for Germany.

Not the marginal ones but I know where even most of those ones play.
I know some of them, the most prominent ones, and some of those in MLS. Or if I happened to hear and it stuck in my brain.... like Dest is at Barcelona, unless he switched :)

All those Euro Leagues are pretty non-competitive and top heavy, after the 1st 2-3 teams they are pretty irrelevant. I knew it was bad, but Bayern Munich TEN STRAIGHT championships, that's nuts, not much drama in that league, give me MLS and an American style playoff bracket any day. Quality is less, but at least it's not 90% predictable. There is a minority group of people who live in Europe and follow MLS, specifically because of this reason.
The EPL is the best league from top to bottom right now. In the 90’s it was Italy, and until the last few years it was Spain. But now that the EPL has the money from worldwide tv, even their newly promoted teams are spending money with the large clubs of Europe. It’s cyclical so it could be another league again some day…but Germany is a joke and so is France. Still better leagues than MLS clearly, but no competitive balance.
I know some of them, the most prominent ones, and some of those in MLS. Or if I happened to hear and it stuck in my brain.... like Dest is at Barcelona, unless he switched :)
it’s really not that hard. Typical fans want to know where our best players are playing and developing. When you think about our national pool at any given time, you’re talking about a # less than the steeler roster. Then, some fall out and some jump in. It’s fun and interesting to follow.

that said, the USMNT is a niche that’s even smaller than Pitt hoops. Sad but true.

it’s really not that hard. Typical fans want to know where our best players are playing and developing. When you think about our national pool at any given time, you’re talking about a # less than the steeler roster. Then, some fall out and some jump in. It’s fun and interesting to follow.

that said, the USMNT is a niche that’s even smaller than Pitt hoops. Sad but true.
I tend to know where a lot of them play based on Facebook groups and watching their games. Personally I think USMNT might be my favorite soccer team right now, with the WC coming up and DC United being in kind of a down cycle

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT