ADVERTISEMENT

Liverpool in Pgh

i indeed was there. neymar was man of the match and actually played really hard. pretty sure courtois was in goal. suarez played. busquets. i can't remember hazard playing or not.
Hazard scored in that game. I had to look it up because you had me wondering. Here’s Chelsea’s lineup

Courtois
Zouma
Cahill
Azpilicueta
Ivanovic
Fabregas
Oscar
matic
Diego Costa
Hazard
Kennedy
Subs-
Terry
Chalobah
Willian
Moses
Obi Mikel
Ramires

Suarez scored for Barcelona and of course Busquets, Alba and others played.

What was I doing spending all that money to see a group of U20’s and Bteamers?

Reactions: pitt90seven
Hazard scored in that game. I had to look it up because you had me wondering. Here’s Chelsea’s lineup

Courtois
Zouma
Cahill
Azpilicueta
Ivanovic
Fabregas
Oscar
matic
Diego Costa
Hazard
Kennedy
Subs-
Terry
Chalobah
Willian
Moses
Obi Mikel
Ramires

tenor.gif

• Wow
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
@Fk_Pitt Random side question semi-related…

Took a tour of Stamford Bridge today and saw a Pittsburgh Blues banner on the rafters. Is there a big contingent of Chelsea fans that are actually organized in Pittsburgh? Either way it was cool to see.

So I watched Chelsea vs Wrexham last night and I don’t feel so bad. The game was in Santa Clara and between SF, San Jose and Oakland, there has to be over 10 million people to pull from and they drew 15,000 people for the match last night.

The broadcast team with Kasey Keller was awful. Not his fault but the espn production was amateurish. Their mics weren’t high enough and all you could hear was the crowd noise. And let’s be honest, 15K aren’t making much noise. It was very frustrating trying to make out why they were saying in the broadcast. The Liverpool match at Acrisure will be on espn at 7:30 tomorrow. I hope it’s better.

It was a tough watch. The new chelsea manager and his new death by 1000 passes style is difficult for me to watch…even with no less than 9 chelsea 1st teamers on the field at once.
i used to go to these when they had them in DC every year. took the kids - whole 9 yards. teams, for the most part, played their regular starters. but it just got so expensive. 3 kids + me at $150/ticket + the add ons (concessions, parking, etc). way too much for an exhibition game.

The way they price some of these events, makes me wonder if NFL and College Football tickets are priced too low. Wouldn't it be more profitable if like Ohio State had 20K empty seats because it cost $1000/game or something like that? Copa America, the Olympics, and these International Friendlies have loads of emptu seats. But maybe that's the plan. Make sure only rich people can attend. Better to have 30K and less security/staff charging $150/ticket than 60K paying 75K. I dont know but that's what it seems like.

Courtois
Zouma
Cahill
Azpilicueta
Ivanovic
Fabregas
Oscar
matic
Diego Costa
Hazard
Kennedy
Subs-
Terry
Chalobah
Willian
Moses
Obi Mikel
Ramires

Not a World Cup or Euro year Im sure. In those years, you get the academy kids to come rip you off.

Took a tour of Stamford Bridge today and saw a Pittsburgh Blues banner on the rafters. Is there a big contingent of Chelsea fans that are actually organized in Pittsburgh? Either way it was cool to see.

I don't know if it's the official group, but a large number of Chelsea fans watch games at the Pitch in Lawrenceville. One of the mainstays from Pipers is a big Chelsea fan and he followed the Pipers bartender to the Pitch

Reactions: zookeeper2000

Awesome!! Glad to hear you made it to see where Londons biggest club plays!!

Enjoy your trip. I’ll be curious what your favorite part of it is.

There is a Pittsburgh Blues but it’s not a big contingent. When I first got tickets to games there, I went through the Pittsburgh Blues, but then they hooked me up with the New York Blues for tickets. I don’t know why Pittsburgh is represented at Stamford bridge. There must be a story behind it but I either forgot or don’t know. During my tour they took us out on the pitch so that we can get our pic with the banner behind us. I should probably dig up the pic and frame it.

I don't know if it's the official group, but a large number of Chelsea fans watch games at the Pitch in Lawrenceville. One of the mainstays from Pipers is a big Chelsea fan and he followed the Pipers bartender to the Pitch
Wish I remembered his name. His wife is part owner with the bartender from Pipers. We will have to meet up when Tottenham don’t play. It’s become a big bar for their supporters and they can get pretty annoying with their chants and cheering. I know he gets annoyed, but what can he do other than roll his eyes? They help pay the bills. Lol.

Reactions: brdst11
It’s a bad look for the Chelsea Blues , but they used to go to Riley’s pourhouse in Carnegie. So the owner invested a lot of money into accommodations for them. But then the Blues numbers stated to dwindle until they disappeared altogether. The owner isn’t happy about it.

Would love to hook up with any of y’all for games this season.

It’s a bad look for the Chelsea Blues , but they used to go to Riley’s pourhouse in Carnegie. So the owner invested a lot of money into accommodations for them. But then the Blues numbers stated to dwindle until they disappeared altogether. The owner isn’t happy about it.

Would love to hook up with any of y’all for games this season.
Ya we should do a meetup of the soccer fans on here. I'm at Cork Harbor almost every weekend and Pitch is within walking distance of there

The way they price some of these events, makes me wonder if NFL and College Football tickets are priced too low. Wouldn't it be more profitable if like Ohio State had 20K empty seats because it cost $1000/game or something like that? Copa America, the Olympics, and these International Friendlies have loads of emptu seats. But maybe that's the plan. Make sure only rich people can attend. Better to have 30K and less security/staff charging $150/ticket than 60K paying 75K. I dont know but that's what it seems like.

when i went, the games were sold out. or close enough. my tickers were mid level - people were paying crazy amounts of money to sit low. pricing was very similar to a wizards game. the big players DID play, for the most part.

i did watch man city vs celtic a few nights ago. played at UNC's stadium. hard to tell but it seemed to be half full, which i thought was odd.

i live close to annapolis - my club (crystal palace) is playing at navy stadium next week. tickets are pretty expensive close to the field. $130 or so. which is pretty ridiculous. barcelona vs inter are playing in baltimore a few days later. it's pretty much double.

but i don't think restricting access for other sports is a good move. the whole point is to get the most people in the stadium for the experience. tOSU playing in front of 10k extreme paying customers just wouldn't hit the same.

Of course they were able to capture the significant features of Pittsburgh…traffic on Greentree Hill.

Ended up scoring some free tickets thanks to my SMFN connections. Good thing because I didnt want to pay for this garbage. Crowd looks to be 75% WVU, 24% Liverpool, 1% Real Betis

Ended up scoring some free tickets thanks to my SMFN connections. Good thing because I didnt want to pay for this garbage. Crowd looks to be 75% WVU, 24% Liverpool, 1% Real Betis
I don’t get it? Hoopies at a Liverpool match?

Two scrubs combine for the Liverpool goal. Yawn

Two scrubs combine for the Liverpool goal. Yawn
Fans should go home happy. And they weren’t yanked at halftime either. Good stuff.

The crowd looks better than most Pitt games.

The match wasn’t anything to write home about. The atmosphere at tequila cowboy was electric. Up Arne Slot’s mighty reds

The Rwal Betis v Sevilla rivalry isn’t nearly as famous because neither team has had as much success as Real Madrid and Barcelona, but it is a very intense rivalry. Both have large stadiums which aren’t that far from each other in Sevilla. (There actually are three large soccer stadiums in the city, which seems like a real waste of resources. The third one is only used for special matches like the Copa del Rey finals.) My limited understanding is that the allegiances are partially economic (Sevilla fans tend to be more middle class) but mostly based on who your father roots for.

When Ivan Rakitic joined Sevilla, he initially stayed at a hotel and fell in love with the waitress who served him breakfast every day. He kept coming there after he got his own apartment and eventually asked her to marry him. He wanted to ask her father for permission, but she wouldn’t introduce him because he is a Betis fan. I don’t know if they ever met before he left Sevilla and signed with Barca in 2015. They became friends after that. Not that her father liked Barca, but they weren’t Sevilla.

Reactions: brdst11 and Fk_Pitt
With 44K there last night, and I have to think virtually none were there to see Real Betis, I gotta think that if Liverpool played Man U at Acrisure, it would sell out. In my experiences in the western PA soccer community, a large majority of them are Man U fans which is part of the reason I went Blue initially.

With 44K there last night, and I have to think virtually none were there to see Real Betis, I gotta think that if Liverpool played Man U at Acrisure, it would sell out. In my experiences in the western PA soccer community, a large majority of them are Man U fans which is part of the reason I went Blue initially.
Betis probably had less than 1k fans there. So ya, Liverpool vs big Spanish/Italian/EPL team would be close to a sellout

Betis probably had less than 1k fans there. So ya, Liverpool vs big Spanish/Italian/EPL team would be close to a sellout

1000? There werent 100 Real Betis fans. Even Benfica a few years ago brought 2000 or so I'd say.

Some crowd thoughts:

I sat on the Pitt sideline like I do for Pitt games so was trying to compare crowds. It was interesting because the crowd looked really good from my vantage point. Like a "big" Pitt game. Not like PSU, ND, WVU big but like when Wanny was good or some Pickett year crowds. And yet they only announced 42K which is what Pitt announces for its worst crowds.

They didnt sell upper deck endzone tickets. Lower sideline looked to 90% full. Upper deck about 60% full. For some Pitt games, I can count the people in the upper deck across from me because no one sits there. Pitt upper deck fans sit on the Pitt sideline which is perfect because you cant see them on TV.

Always interested to see the types of people at these games because I feel like I dont see these people in regular Pittsburgh life. Like there were 4 guys wearing Palestine game jerseys. There was a guy wearing an Iraq game jersey. Lots of Pitt football and basketball players, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and other pro athletes I'm sure.

The Liverpool fans absolutely felt like they were all from the North Hills and South Hills. Kind of like that ND crowd you get when they come here. Because of that, "You'll Never Walk Alone" was underwhelming. Seemed like no one knew the words.

Pleased that the 5 or 6 guys who will play for Liverpool this season played 60 minutes. They started 2 kids at CB who've never played for Liverpool yet and they keep loaning out. Didn't understand why Cardoso didnt play. It was funny though because Betis had 2 guys who didnt have that soccer player build. You know what I mean. They had 2 guys, #8 being one that looked stocky and overweight. Its just something I've never really seen. I am sure they were in great shape and can run forever but they didnt look the part.

And yet they only announced 42K which is what Pitt announces for its worst crowds.

Of course the difference being that the 42,000 was probably an actual attendance number, meaning the number of people actually there, or at least really close to it (surely there were at least a few no shows). And we all know that the number that Pitt announces doesn't actually have anything at all to do with the number of people who come through the turnstiles that day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT