ADVERTISEMENT

Local girls soccer

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Always amazed by how many D1 girls this area produces. I would guess that there are more D1 girls soccer recruits from the WPIAL than any other sport. I guess its a factor of women's college soccer being predominantly American and most D1 colleges offering the sport. There are 150 more D1 women's team then men's. Also, women get 14 scholarships compared to 9.9 for men. So that's 4900 D1 women's scholarships compared to 2030 for the men. Breaking this down further, city schools do not play soccer (by and large) so you take a large part of the US population out of the scholarship competition equation. So what this means is that if you are merely a really good player from the suburbs, but not necessarily exceptional, you are going to play D1.

I read this article about this Yough girl who only scored 11 goals last season playing against Westmoreland and Fayette County rec teams but is going to YSU. This is the 2nd D1 player Yough has produced in the last few years which is crazy to me. Also, why does her cup season start in late fall? Wouldnt ECNL or GA start in September?

Reactions: singregardless
Always amazed by how many D1 girls this area produces. I would guess that there are more D1 girls soccer recruits from the WPIAL than any other sport. I guess its a factor of women's college soccer being predominantly American and most D1 colleges offering the sport. There are 150 more D1 women's team then men's. Also, women get 14 scholarships compared to 9.9 for men. So that's 4900 D1 women's scholarships compared to 2030 for the men. Breaking this down further, city schools do not play soccer (by and large) so you take a large part of the US population out of the scholarship competition equation. So what this means is that if you are merely a really good player from the suburbs, but not necessarily exceptional, you are going to play D1.

I read this article about this Yough girl who only scored 11 goals last season playing against Westmoreland and Fayette County rec teams but is going to YSU. This is the 2nd D1 player Yough has produced in the last few years which is crazy to me. Also, why does her cup season start in late fall? Wouldnt ECNL or GA start in September?

I wouldn’t say that at all. When you consider the amount of graduating seniors over 100 teams in WPIAL each year…and maybe roughly 25 of them go D1…there’s an incredibly high number of skilled and talented players who don’t get offers. And then you assume that these players get scholarships and many do not even though the Trib might pump them up with press clippings. There are huge programs like BP, ML, FC, or CM who can go years at a time without producing D1 players, and those 4 school’s certainly have more talent than 80% of the rest of the WPIAL. One of those schools is in a down cycle right now and I know hasn’t produced a D1 player in 4 years. Whereas the 3 other schools went a few years without producing a D1 player.

Coach schrum at YSU has Westmoreland county roots and ties. He’s a very good guy and coached at the Club level there for years as well as PAWest ODP. He’s very connected with local coaches and happy to take good kids into his program…which it seems like this girl is.

I wouldn’t say that at all. When you consider the amount of graduating seniors over 100 teams in WPIAL each year…and maybe roughly 25 of them go D1…there’s an incredibly high number of skilled and talented players who don’t get offers. And then you assume that these players get scholarships and many do not even though the Trib might pump them up with press clippings. There are huge programs like BP, ML, FC, or CM who can go years at a time without producing D1 players, and those 4 school’s certainly have more talent than 80% of the rest of the WPIAL. One of those schools is in a down cycle right now and I know hasn’t produced a D1 player in 4 years. Whereas the 3 other schools went a few years without producing a D1 player.

Coach schrum at YSU has Westmoreland county roots and ties. He’s a very good guy and coached at the Club level there for years as well as PAWest ODP. He’s very connected with local coaches and happy to take good kids into his program…which it seems like this girl is.
Something like 2.4% of girls HS players go D1 in soccer. National average. 25 players getting a scholarship would mean that to be average, there would be 1,000 girls playing HS soccer in the WPIAL. There are roughly 100 schools playing girls soccer in the WPIAL. Generally, you need at least 15 players to field a team (?) so that would put the WPIAL below the average.

It’s probably important to point out that Olympic sports have a much different recruiting model that football. You basically have to put your own effort into getting recruited and your HS performance really doesn’t matter as much as what you do during club season. I’m seeing more and more girls shy away from their school team if it’s overly political or the coach is unqualified to really coach up a player.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Something like 2.4% of girls HS players go D1 in soccer. National average. 25 players getting a scholarship would mean that to be average, there would be 1,000 girls playing HS soccer in the WPIAL. There are roughly 100 schools playing girls soccer in the WPIAL. Generally, you need at least 15 players to field a team (?) so that would put the WPIAL below the average.

It’s probably important to point out that Olympic sports have a much different recruiting model that football. You basically have to put your own effort into getting recruited and your HS performance really doesn’t matter as much as what you do during club season. I’m seeing more and more girls shy away from their school team if it’s overly political or the coach is unqualified to really coach up a player.

If there are 100 WPIAL teams, you figure each team has an average of 6 seniors. That's 600 seniors. 25 going D1 is 4.2%

If there are 100 WPIAL teams, you figure each team has an average of 6 seniors. That's 600 seniors. 25 going D1 is 4.2%
As pointed out above, you need to discount high school soccer from your calculations. High D-1 programs don’t pay one ounce of attention to HS soccer. Maybe the Duquesnes and YSUs of the world do, but not at the P5 level. It’s all about club performance and the relationships with the club coaches. I’ll bet if you look at the top programs in the country (Stanford, Duke, Penn State, FSU, UCLA, UVA) I would guess less than 20% of their players on scholarship money even played high school soccer.

Reactions: pittdan77
As pointed out above, you need to discount high school soccer from your calculations. High D-1 programs don’t pay one ounce of attention to HS soccer. Maybe the Duquesnes and YSUs of the world do, but not at the P5 level. It’s all about club performance and the relationships with the club coaches. I’ll bet if you look at the top programs in the country (Stanford, Duke, Penn State, FSU, UCLA, UVA) I would guess less than 20% of their players on scholarship money even played high school soccer.
I have seen coaches like Erica Dambach (PSU) , Randy Waldrum, and Nikki Izzo Brown (WVU) at HS games. But it’s to support committed players or prospective commits. As you’re implying, they aren’t really scouting.

That said, HS soccer is more social than anything else for high end players. However some major D1 coaches do find value in it. Playing under the lights in front of 100’s for your school, classmates and community isn’t something replicated at the club level and can be good for a player’s development.

Reactions: pittdan77
Maybe the Duquesnes and YSUs of the world do, but not at the P5 level.

I don't remember the Duquesne coach ever being at one of my niece's games. I'm not saying that it isn't possible that there wasn't one or two that he was at, maybe sitting somewhere like in the press box where you might not see him. But they did all of their "real" scouting of players at the big club events, just like the P5s do.

I don't remember the Duquesne coach ever being at one of my niece's games. I'm not saying that it isn't possible that there wasn't one or two that he was at, maybe sitting somewhere like in the press box where you might not see him. But they did all of their "real" scouting of players at the big club events, just like the P5s do.
Coach Alvine is one who will tell his recruits that they won’t see him at HS games, but he encourages them to play HS soccer because of the experiences I mentioned above. He gets it.

Coach Alvine is one who will tell his recruits that they won’t see him at HS games, but he encourages them to play HS soccer because of the experiences I mentioned above. He gets it.

Are GA or ECNL girls allowed to play for thr HS team? MLS Next boys are not. Does GA or girls ECNL start after the HS season ends?

Are GA or ECNL girls allowed to play for thr HS team? MLS Next boys are not. Does GA or girls ECNL start after the HS season ends?
It’s always been coach specific. Some coaches encouraged or told players not to play HS, which is selfish. I don’t recall ECNL players having conflicts in Sept/Oct, while with GA there sometimes are. Not sure how the schedules shake out this Fall.

There’s a really good USC player right now who plays for the Hounds. She’s missed USC games for national team camps the past two years but has never missed for Hounds games.

It’s always been coach specific. Some coaches encouraged or told players not to play HS, which is selfish. I don’t recall ECNL players having conflicts in Sept/Oct, while with GA there sometimes are. Not sure how the schedules shake out this Fall.

There’s a really good USC player right now who plays for the Hounds. She’s missed USC games for national team camps the past two years but has never missed for Hounds games.

I was wondering because that Yough girl said her season doesn't start until like late fall. And I know PA West doesnt do fall at that age so I was wondering about GA and ECNL

I was wondering because that Yough girl said her season doesn't start until like late fall. And I know PA West doesnt do fall at that age so I was wondering about GA and ECNL
ECNL adjusts its schedule to work with HS Soccer. If you live in a state that has fall HS soccer, ECNL is in the Spring. If you have Spring HS soccer then ECNL is in the fall. Regardless, ECNL playoffs are always in the summer

that scholarship number is greatly inflated because a majority of programs are not fully funded. While the NCAA allows 14 scholarships I bet there are less than 100 schools that fund 14

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT