ADVERTISEMENT

Longhorn Network

topdecktiger

Senior
Mar 29, 2011
In light of the recent conference expansion talks, I found this interesting link about the Longhorn Network.

The interesting thing is the numbers. LHN has 6.5 million in-state subscribers, at a rate of 29 cents. It has 13.5 outside subscribers, paying a rate of 2 cents.

I don't see what made ESPN ever think this was a good idea in the first place. It also seems like Texas would be better off ditching this thing and trying to form a Big 12 network. It also seems like they would have been a lot better off just joining the Pac 12 and creating a superconference network.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-longhorn-network-is-all-hat-no-cattle-051115

Last edited:
Reactions: vietvet1
In light of the recent conference expansion talks, I found this interesting link about the Longhorn Network.

The interesting thing is the numbers. LHN has 6.5 million in-state subscribers, at a rate of 29 cents. It has 13.5 outside subscribers, paying a rate of 2 cents.

I don't see what made ESPN ever think this was a good idea in the first place. It also seems like Texas would be better off ditching this thing and trying to form a Big 12 network. It also seems like they would have been a lot better off just joining the Pac 12 and creating a superconference network.
Maybe they will! Indications abound that cc will be a proud member of the AAC at some point in the future! LOL!

This was the idea proposed by Clay Travis. You could argue the teams involved but getting into these markets and establishing a network would probably result in more $$$ and stability for that conference.

Big 12 (-2) + 4

The Longhorn Network was a vanity project from the word go. I think most reasonably intelligent people could foresee the problems associated with a single team network. Where was the content going to come from?

To be honest, I don't really see the appeal of conference networks. I mean how many Indiana/Ohio State football games from the days of yore can even the most ardent Hoosiers and Buckeyes fans stomach? I mean its one thing to relive the big games in your program's history, but some random October game in some nondescript season? I just don't get that at all. Further, why would you watch that stuff if you are not a fan of those two teams?

Finally, how many softball games and swim meets can people watch even those games involve your alma mater? Now, why on earth would anyone watch that crap for teams with whom they have no affiliation?

That said, people are obviously watching this lousy TV and the ACC will soon have its own network too. There is way too much smoke out there for there to not be any fire. In reading this, I can't help but wonder if some of the delays are related to a possible ACC + ND television network partnership? That would obviously be a highly complex negotiation with a lot of moving puzzle parts. Maybe ND was considering its own network akin to LHN but they are seeing all of the problems associated with a one team network so they are pivoting to something that is more league based - like the SECN?

The Longhorn Network was a vanity project from the word go. I think most reasonably intelligent people could foresee the problems associated with a single team network. Where was the content going to come from?

To be honest, I don't really see the appeal of conference networks. I mean how many Indiana/Ohio State football games from the days of yore can even the most ardent Hoosiers and Buckeyes fans stomach? I mean its one thing to relive the big games in your program's history, but some random October game in some nondescript season? I just don't get that at all. Further, why would you watch that stuff if you are not a fan of those two teams?

Finally, how many softball games and swim meets can people watch even those games involve your alma mater? Now, why on earth would anyone watch that crap for teams with whom they have no affiliation?

That said, people are obviously watching this lousy TV and the ACC will soon have its own network too. There is way too much smoke out there for there to not be any fire. In reading this, I can't help but wonder if some of the delays are related to a possible ACC + ND television network partnership? That would obviously be a highly complex negotiation with a lot of moving puzzle parts. Maybe ND was considering its own network akin to LHN but they are seeing all of the problems associated with a one team network so they are pivoting to something that is more league based - like the SECN?
Agree, the Big Ten Channel actually is hard to watch, I skip it. It was meant to show Games few to none want to watch, or old games that a few will watch anytime even late at night, and then show Olympic & Minor Sports no one one wants to watch, except a few diehard fans, alumni and those at those schools.

The income is coming from Cable Subscribers that pay for it whether they watch, want it or not, they have to take it and the Cable Subscribers Companies in the states. It adds up as each Conference Network comes on Board or may be in multiple states with others or sold as a Sports Package.

All I know the longer its runs and recover start up costs, the more money they will make as they come to own more of the ownership, and the Big Ten and SEC are making more money for their schools. As PAC-12 continues to do the same at a lesser rate right now, and ACC and BIG-12 are in the planning and waiting stages and the longer that takes the more the other 3 make.

, people are obviously watching this lousy TV

The only thing on the conference networks that generate any ratings are the football games. The ad revenue is just about entirely from the football games. Really it's just the football games carrying everything else. Of course, that goes back the LHN being doomed from the start because they only have one football game.

Regarding the Notre Dame thing, I doubt it's a problem. Notre Dame is actually pretty clear cut. The home football games belong to NBC, everything else to the ACC/ESPN. All the other sports just fall to whatever the ACC/ESPN does with them. The road football games would be the same, so if ESPN wanted to put Notre Dame @ NC State on a conference network, they could do it.

Doesn't matter to UT what ESPN is getting as they're getting a huge payday for what's mostly Olympic sports, 1 football game and a few bad OOC basketball games. No way would they shut it down to form a Big XII Network as they would take a huge paycut.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter to UT what ESPN is getting as they're getting a huge payday for what's mostly Olympic sports, 1 football game and a few bad OOC basketball games. No way would they shut it down to form a Big XII Network as they would take a huge paycut.

One thing about that though, not all the money Texas is supposed to get is guaranteed. They have a base fee that they get (which is less than the $15 million everyone quotes), and the rest is based on paying off the overhead, ad revenue, subscriptions, etc. They still get a lot of money, but the big payday they were supposed to get isn't coming through.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
One thing about that though, not all the money Texas is supposed to get is guaranteed. They have a base fee that they get (which is less than the $15 million everyone quotes), and the rest is based on paying off the overhead, ad revenue, subscriptions, etc. They still get a lot of money, but the big payday they were supposed to get isn't coming through.

topdecktiger,

certainly not suggesting that you are not correct, but what is the source for that statement?

what did they make this first year if it was an amount less than 15M?

thanks!

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
A Lot Of Money is still a PAYDAY! And the rest of the Big-12 is standing watching them do it!

In addition, sure, Football earns the bulk of the money for the Conference Networks but that is expected and the Olympic Sports at least get more exposure. Once the Power Conferences start to change the NCAA running Basketball the Conference Networks will grow and add again with Men's Basketball money adding to the Pot!

I don't really have any sympathy for the B12 schools. In agreeing to allow Texas to have its own television network, they sold their souls to the devil and they knew it even as they were doing it.

Then again, what other choice did they have?

Had the other members of the B12 not agreed to capitulate to Texas' demands, they were going to be left behind as Texas - along with Colorado, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State - was all set to partner with the PAC-10 in what would have been an amazingly audacious power move.

It is very interesting to imagine how things would have been different had that partnership come to fruition. What would have become of Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, and Missouri? Would they have simply merged with the Big East as Bill Self once suggested was likely the case? Maybe, but who knows? Maybe they would have all parceled off in different directions? Maybe they would have partnered with the best of the Mountain West including TCU, Utah, BYU and Boise State. TCU did end up with them.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-longhorn-network-is-all-hat-no-cattle-051115

It was a bad deal for ESPN but they signed the contract and are stuck with it unless there's some "way out provision." In any event, its a fabulous deal for Texas and on no way would they give it unless ESPN dumped it somehow. And if they did, there would not be a Big 12 Network formed because as soon as LHN shut down, Texas would ditch the league. The only reason they are in the league is because of LHN. If it shut down, they'd either jump to the Big 10 or ACC.

The only thing on the conference networks that generate any ratings are the football games. The ad revenue is just about entirely from the football games. Really it's just the football games carrying everything else. Of course, that goes back the LHN being doomed from the start because they only have one football game.

Regarding the Notre Dame thing, I doubt it's a problem. Notre Dame is actually pretty clear cut. The home football games belong to NBC, everything else to the ACC/ESPN. All the other sports just fall to whatever the ACC/ESPN does with them. The road football games would be the same, so if ESPN wanted to put Notre Dame @ NC State on a conference network, they could do it.

Football generates most of the revenue, no doubt but you can't say "all" the revenue. Its more like 80/20 with olympic sports, studi shows, and game replays being slightly better than dead air. Certainly, ACC Basketball has SOME value to a conference network. I mean your average UNC/NCSU bball game has about as much value to an ACCN in The Triangle as Pirates/Cards does for Root

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT