ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like no ESPN for Big Ten

ACC has 7 team divisions.

I would go real big, add two more divisions of 7 from the PAC12/Big12 remaining teams.

Then you can keep league play within the two eastern division and within the two western divisions.

Have a league football championship with the Coastal and Atlantic winner play and Pacific and Central winners play to play in the championship game, and all other sports have a 28 team playoff.
Would the total need to be an even number and a multiple of 4? 20 would work but there would be one 6 team division. I would think at that the right number may be 20 with 2 divisions and a championship game.

I'm not convinced, but we'll see soon enough. ND hasn't released their usual statements about staying independent, which says to me that they are considering something different, whatever that is. Interesting times.
Its been reported from good sources that they are staying independent if they get $75 million/year. With CBS paying $25 million/week for a 3:30 B10 B game, ND could easily bring in more than $100 million

You may be right, but other good sources suggest the opposite.

ND is not going to be able to stay independent forever, with the way the future looks regarding the playoff structure. It seems more and more likely that direct competition within a structured conference is the way it will all go, leading to earned invites. Their time of greatest leverage would seemingly be now.

You may be right, but other good sources suggest the opposite.

ND is not going to be able to stay independent forever, with the way the future looks regarding the playoff structure. It seems more and more likely that direct competition within a structured conference is the way it will all go, leading to earned invites. Their time of greatest leverage would seemingly be now.
ND wants to stay independent if they can make at least 75M. SEC DEFINITELY wants them to stay independent. ND will have access to the CFP. Sankey will make sure of it.

I’m not buying that last night’s news changes anything. I think they stay independent.

There it is. Confirmed now. I’m honestly shocked. Not certain this is the best news for B1G. I know they’re getting paid but the coverage from ESPN is huge.

Let’s put it this way. Fox has a lot of work to do.

Reactions: 303vND
ND wants to stay independent if they can make at least 75M. SEC DEFINITELY wants them to stay independent. ND will have access to the CFP. Sankey will make sure of it.

I’m not buying that last night’s news changes anything. I think they stay independent.
No reason for ND to go to a conference if they can get another deal w/ NBC done for solid money, that deal can be such a recruiting advantage, and they should definitely have access to the playoff, as their schedule is consistently solid, they rarely play a schedule full of cupcakes

There it is. Confirmed now. I’m honestly shocked. Not certain this is the best news for B1G. I know they’re getting paid but the coverage from ESPN is huge.

Let’s put it this way. Fox has a lot of work to do.
Fox always coveted the B1G over anything else it was broadcasting on the CFB side.

This is either really good news for the PAC and Big12 or really bad. Depends on if Fox is done spending or not and whether any other provider is going to make a serious play now that Peacock looks like they're done.

The only thing that matters to me in this thread is CBS is keeping the 3:30 pm time slot. I think they have the best game presentation by far. The network always makes that game feel like the biggest game of the week and the only game on in that time slot.

The only thing that matters to me in this thread is CBS is keeping the 3:30 pm time slot. I think they have the best game presentation by far. The network always makes that game feel like the biggest game of the week and the only game on in that time slot.
Yeah because it was the SEC - not going to have the same feel with the BIG10.

Last edited:
Reactions: cease10
Will “Big10 Gameday” AKA College Gameday still have the same four Fat 10 shills hosting their show???
Inquiring minds want to know.

Will “Big10 Gameday” AKA College Gameday still have the same four Fat 10 shills hosting their show???
Inquiring minds want to know.

On the plus-side of things- if ESPN is no longer in the B1G business, we won't need listen to Herbie and Des publicly falate the preseason and attendance champs of college football.

I know they are tired of being disappointed when they buy the hype year after year so this will be good for their fans.

On the plus-side of things- if ESPN is no longer in the B1G business, we won't need listen to Herbie and Des publicly falate the preseason and attendance champs of college football.

I know they are tired of being disappointed when they buy the hype year after year so this will be good for their fans.
They’ll give more airtime to the SEC and ACC which is fine by me.

A league with

Clemson. Stanford
Miami. WVU
FSU. Cincinnati
UNC. Pitt
Baylor NC State
Okkie st. Houston
Oregon
Washington
Utah

Not to mention the rest of the ACC. On paper can easily compete with the Big 10.

After 3 or 4 years of proving it on the field. I Would think it prompts ESPN to throw a ton of cash at that conference. Especially, when your going to have 24/7 football content for your 50/50 partner in the ACC NETWORK. That just signed a contract with COMCAST

Last edited:
A league with

Clemson. Stanford
Miami. WVU
FSU. Cincinnati
UNC. Pitt
Baylor NC State
Okkie st. Houston
Oregon
Washington
Utah

Not to mention the rest of the ACC. On paper can easily compete with the Big 10.

After 3 or 4 years of proving it on the field. I Would think it prompts ESPN to throw a ton of cash at that conference. Especially, when your going to have 24/7 football content for your 50/50 partner in the ACC NETWORK. That just signed a contract with COMCAST
I agree with this. I guess it was/is easier to do nothing though, wait wait wait things out, maybe yearn for a ND that will never commit to anyone (and if they did, clearly it would be to the B1G) …and then blame the big mean old bad conferences when they ultimately do complete their integration of their latest additions and realize it would be fortuitous to take Oregon, Stanford, Ok St and maybe a couple of the others (plus of course Clemson, UNC and Miami once the GOR ends or becomes somewhat more palatable to break). Maybe the ACC can rename itself Vichy France.

On paper, that league would be as good as the Big Ten, but still everyone would leave if a P2 came calling. Nobody's turning down B10 or SEC. But a league with Clemson, FSU, Miami, Oregon, Utah, OK St, etc is every bit as good as an overrated Big Ten. The problem is midwesterners watch the hell out of Big Ten football so the quality of the teams don't matter. When Indiana plays Illinois, everyone in the MW watches it. So the TV money is crazy.
I’m sorry but ain’t no way you think the big 10 is Overrated they are the 2nd best conference and it really isn’t close pitt might legit be the 4-5 best team if they were in the big 10

• Haha
Reactions: joeydavid
After 3 or 4 years of proving it on the field. I Would think it prompts ESPN to throw a ton of cash at that conference.

Except it really won't. What will cause ESPN to throw a ton of cash at a conference is when a lot of people watch their games on a consistent basis. And the Big Ten is home to lots of football programs with a school attached that are very large. Which means that a lot more people watch their football games.

No one thinks that the Big Ten is a better football conference than the SEC. Even the biggest Big Ten shills deep in their heart know the Big Ten isn't as good. But the Big Ten is going to sign a larger television contract than the SEC did. Because what matters isn't "proving it on the field". What matters is eyeballs watching games.

Except it really won't. What will cause ESPN to throw a ton of cash at a conference is when a lot of people watch their games on a consistent basis. And the Big Ten is home to lots of football programs with a school attached that are very large. Which means that a lot more people watch their football games.

No one thinks that the Big Ten is a better football conference than the SEC. Even the biggest Big Ten shills deep in their heart know the Big Ten isn't as good. But the Big Ten is going to sign a larger television contract than the SEC did. Because what matters isn't "proving it on the field". What matters is eyeballs watching games.
I thought it was brands, not eyeballs. I'm so confused.

Right? The "brand" argument is apparently a deflection or this deal wouldn't be as big as it is. It is fascinating that ESPN apparently walked away from the table because they don't believe there are enough eyeballs or good enough brands to broadcast the third best choice on a given weekend at a premium and I think that's a sound choice given the other inventory they posses. Peacock will at least be gathering new subscribers or doing PPV to make up the difference but unless they know something about ND that nobody else does, it's an interesting bet.

I’m sorry but ain’t no way you think the big 10 is Overrated they are the 2nd best conference and it really isn’t close pitt might legit be the 4-5 best team if they were in the big 10

LOL! Periods are your friend. Try writing English next time.

Brands bring eyeballs.

Texas has one of the biggest brands in college football. They do not have one of the best football teams in college football. They are worth so much money to the network not because their teams are so good, they are worth so much because their brand is so large that lots of eyeballs watch their games.

Reactions: revampedpanthers
Fox always coveted the B1G over anything else it was broadcasting on the CFB side.

This is either really good news for the PAC and Big12 or really bad. Depends on if Fox is done spending or not and whether any other provider is going to make a serious play now that Peacock looks like they're done.
Bad. Fox, CBS, and NBC are out of the serious bidding. They will bid but won't overpay. ESPN isn't stupid and knows this. They aren't going to overpay for Cincinnati vs TCU and Texas Texch vs UCF when this is a perfectly fine Saturday schedule for them

ABC
noon - SEC
3:30 - ACC
8:00 - SEC

ESPN
noon - ACC
3:30 - SEC

ESPN2
noon - SEC

ESPNU
noon - American
3:30 - American
7:30 - American

ACCN
noon - ACC
7:30 - ACC

SECN
noon - SEC
3:30 - SEC
7:30 - SEC

Let's say Baylor, OK St, WVU, and UCF are all having amazing seasons. A 3:30 #4 UCF vs #8 WVU game on ABC is up against the SEC A game on ESPN, the Big Ten B game on CBS, and let's say 5-3 Pitt vs 4-4 UNC on ESPN2 plus other games. Why would ESPN overpay for that Big 12 game?

LOL!!!!

Yet when the USA/Coaches Top 25 preseason football rankings came out the other day the results are as follows.

Top 25 football rankings by Conference:

SEC Conference: 6 teams
ACC Conference: 5 teams
Big 10 Conferece: 4 teams

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
From the stuff that's out there, looks like the deal is imminent.

noon - Fox (A package)
3:30 - CBS (split B package)
Primetime - NBC (split B package)

I'm guessing games also on FS1 and possibly USA and/or CBSSN.

CBS paying $350 million/year for the 3:30 game. That's $25 million per Saturday but its their 2nd (or 3rd best game). Makes you think ND getting $75 million per season from NBC to stay independent is well within reach.

On the one hand, I like ESPN not getting the Big Ten. Perhaps they'll do all they can to pump up the ACC and SEC. They're getting ACC coverage at an incredible discount. On the other hand, no ACC school is turning down a P2 invite regardless of the GOR and Fox, CBS, NBC may want more markets if they feel the new teams add value pro rata.

I still say the ACC needs to add the best of what's left of the P12 and B12 to become the 3rd best conference forever, knowing eventually they will lose some of those teams.
Agree I think just adding wvu and one more might get ESPN to up the payout even though the two teams added won't really add that much just because they are getting the acc cheap and they won't want to lose content to Fox/cbs if acc schools go to the b10.

Agree I think just adding wvu and one more might get ESPN to up the payout even though the two teams added won't really add that much just because they are getting the acc cheap and they won't want to lose content to Fox/cbs if acc schools go to the b10.
WVU isn’t going to ACC for about 30 different reasons. Just stop.

The GOR is in place for 15 more years and leaving before even a few years left is a huge financial hit. Adding
Ore
WA
Zona
Zona St
OK St
Houston
TT
Baylor
KS
WV
OR yes
WA yes
Zona ?
AZ st ?
Ok st ?
Houston no
TT no
Baylor?
Ks yes
Wvu yes

I would think Utah Stanford cal are all better options than the ones listed except for the yes category

OR yes
WA yes
Zona ?
AZ st ?
Ok st ?
Houston no
TT no
Baylor?
Ks yes
Wvu yes

I would think Utah Stanford cal are all better options than the ones listed except for the yes category
Yeah I hear ya. I came up with my list by trying to bridge some of the distance between teams and to help shore up TX.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT