LOL @ NBC's Big Ten primetime slate

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
1st 3 weeks have been announced.

PSU in a 50 point win over WVU

Maryland hosting Charlotte (no lie)

Purdue hosting Syracuse

Keep in mind, this something like a 3rd tier package as Fox has the 1st choice and CBS the 2nd but it makes you wonder how in the world NBC thinks they can make money paying $350 million for this crap. $30 million to televise Maryland/Charlotte?

First game a rivalry sort of deal will have big ratings....50 over WVU does not exactly speak to the greatness of Pitt that needed a late dropped pass int for td against them..

what game should they put in the Maryland slot? Temple at Rutgers? Richmond at Michigan State?

Purdue hosting Syracuse

Keep in mind, this something like a 3rd tier package as Fox has the 1st choice and CBS the 2nd but it makes you wonder how in the world NBC thinks they can make money paying $350 million for this crap. $30 million to televise Maryland/Charlotte?

First game a rivalry sort of deal will have big ratings....50 over WVU does not exactly speak to the greatness of Pitt that needed a late dropped pass int for td against them..

what game should they put in the Maryland slot? Temple at Rutgers? Richmond at Michigan State?

They should have picked UNLV @ Michigan or YSU @ OSU instead of Charlotte @ Maryland. More people would watch those blowouts than Maryland/Charlotte.

PSU/WVU is the best of the bunch but is that game REALLY worth $30 million? Is it a good enough game to compete with what will be on Fox and ESPN?

They should have picked UNLV @ Michigan or YSU @ OSU instead of Charlotte @ Maryland. More people would watch those blowouts than Maryland/Charlotte.

PSU/WVU is the best of the bunch but is that game REALLY worth $30 million? Is it a good enough game to compete with what will be on Fox and ESPN?
Yes, nothing spreads the love across the conference like giving Michigan and OSU (who will be probably be featured numerous times later on) crap game preference....

Well I’m told that PsU and WVU totally own the Pittsburgh market. In fact the two of them, together, own over 150 percent of the market! 😂 And when I’m told the above, I’m also told Pittsburgh is a very important, lucrative market and this is what makes both of these programs high tier.

Except when it is pointed out that Pitt ACTUALLY owns this market. THEN it becomes an IRRELEVANT market, at least as far as making Pitt an attractive big conference candidate goes.

Now, I’m realistic enough to know the latter is true. But it certainly makes the former untrue.

Yes, nothing spreads the love across the conference like giving Michigan and OSU (who will be probably be featured numerous times later on) crap game preference....

Its a 3rd tier package. They only have 13 games to show. Fox, CBS, and BTN will gobble up Mich and OSU. Md/Cha is such a bad game, that I absolutely think they should have went with an OSU or Mich blowout. Plus, UNLV has the 🐐 running things now. The Go-go would be a ratings bonanza.

SMF says a 50 point difference. That doesn't make it so.

Well I’m told that PsU and WVU totally own the Pittsburgh market. In fact the two of them, together, own over 150 percent of the market! 😂 And when I’m told the above, I’m also told Pittsburgh is a very important, lucrative market and this is what makes both of these programs high tier.

Except when it is pointed out that Pitt ACTUALLY owns this market. THEN it becomes an IRRELEVANT market, at least as far as making Pitt an attractive big conference candidate goes.

Now, I’m realistic enough to know the latter is true. But it certainly makes the former untrue.
Speaking of.....anyone, I know last year PSU/Purdue went head to head against Pitt/WVU and nationally PSU edged out our game (not by much). But did anyone see or remember what the local numbers were for those two head to head games??

Speaking of.....anyone, I know last year PSU/Purdue went head to head against Pitt/WVU and nationally PSU edged out our game (not by much). But did anyone see or remember what the local numbers were for those two head to head games??

PSU edged out Pitt/WVU because Fox is in many more households than ESPN. I tried looking up the local numbers back then and couldn't find anything. Those don't always get reported. It would have taken a media person to request that info from Nielsen I believe

I have still never seen a WVU fan in Allegheny County.

Purdue hosting Syracuse

Schools with most living alum:

1. PSU - 673K
2. Indiana - 650K
3. Michigan - 575K
4. MSU - 552K

6. OSU - 500K

8. Rutgers - 486K

10. Purdue - 479K

That's insane and, I assume, reason numero uno as to why these networks are after any Big Ten scraps they can get their hands on.

PsU likely had more since they have a billion alumni or whatever, plus all the goons who graduated from the likes of Clarion or Edinboro or such who then lie and say they went there (I personally am acquainted with three such of these 3rd world school alum who are the fiercest PSU fans and particularly huge Sandusky deniers).

Though I’d be surprised if the national numbers weren’t close, since WVU delivers the Mardelva and DC markets as well as WPA 🙄

Last edited:
PsU likely had more since they have a billion alumni or whatever, plus all the goons who graduated from the likes of Clarion or Edinboro or such who then lie and say they went there (I personally am acquainted with three such of these 3rd world school alum who are the fiercest PSU fans and particularly huge Sandusky deniers).

Though I’d be surprised if the national numbers weren’t close, since WVU delivers the Mardelva and DC markets as well as WPA 🙄
I know a few myself. One graduated from one of the state schools (Bloomsburg I believe) took one graduate class from psu, has no degree from psu, but claims they are an alumni and actually pay dues to their alumni association (at least they claim to do so.)

I know a few myself. One graduated from one of the state schools (Bloomsburg I believe) took one graduate class from psu, has no degree from psu, but claims they are an alumni and actually pay dues to their alumni association (at least they claim to do so.)
Yeah. It’s a real thing and I think it happens a great deal. My acquaintances had no involvement at all with the school, at least yours briefly did. Yet they really do seem to think they are PSU alum. Always wearing the gear, 409 car stickers, hold PSU watch parties etc. one is a neighbor, others are Co workers. Early on I would jab them, honestly in fun, “what did Clarion do on Saturday” etc, and what’s weird is they genuinely did not like that at all. Really aggravated by it, actually. So I stopped doing that. In some ways they are worse than the genuine alum in their cultish hold.

I think that adds an extra dimension to the general creepiness of the institution .

Its a 3rd tier package. They only have 13 games to show. Fox, CBS, and BTN will gobble up Mich and OSU. Md/Cha is such a bad game, that I absolutely think they should have went with an OSU or Mich blowout. Plus, UNLV has the 🐐 running things now. The Go-go would be a ratings bonanza.
Wouldn't the B1G want to keep the UofM and OSU blowouts on the B1G network?

Schools with most living alum:

1. PSU - 673K
2. Indiana - 650K
3. Michigan - 575K
4. MSU - 552K

6. OSU - 500K

8. Rutgers - 486K

10. Purdue - 479K

That's insane and, I assume, reason numero uno as to why these networks are after any Big Ten scraps they can get their hands on.

$350 million for the 3rd pick is too much to pay. They arent going to get PSU/Mich or OSU/Wisconsin. It's going to be Mich/Min, Illinois/PSU, etc. Those games at 7:30 opposite the ABC game (ACC or B12), ESPN and ESPN2 games (SEC) and FS1 game (B12) is going to get crushed. Too much competition for a ho-hum B10 game.

Reactions: 303vND

I knew one dude who went to W&J and acted like he was a PSU alum. Some of his friends went to PSU, and he'd go to the football games with them, etc. It so fit his uppity nature - complete match made in Heaven.

My boss at my last job was a HUGE PSU fan, despite the fact that he went to John Carroll. In fairness, his brother did play football for PSU, so I kind of give him a pass. And then his kids eventually went there.

My best friend has a grandfather who played for Tennessee, an uncle who played for PSU, a cousin who played for PSU, and a cousin who played for Virginia. He doesn't root for any of those teams, though. Actually claims he is a Pitt fan, although all he ever does is talk shit on me for following Pitt. He was rocking a Tennessee hat they sent to his grandfather (who had been dead for 7 years at the time) this past September just to eff with me.

I knew one dude who went to W&J and acted like he was a PSU alum. Some of his friends went to PSU, and he'd go to the football games with them, etc. It so fit his uppity nature - complete match made in Heaven.

My boss at my last job was a HUGE PSU fan, despite the fact that he went to John Carroll. In fairness, his brother did play football for PSU, so I kind of give him a pass. And then his kids eventually went there.

My best friend has a grandfather who played for Tennessee, an uncle who played for PSU, a cousin who played for PSU, and a cousin who played for Virginia. He doesn't root for any of those teams, though. Actually claims he is a Pitt fan, although all he ever does is talk shit on me for following Pitt. He was rocking a Tennessee hat they sent to his grandfather (who had been dead for 7 years at the time) this past September just to eff with me.
The last situation, interesting and more in fun. But the others … isn’t that the weirdest thing though? They earnestly manipulated the facts of their very existence in their own heads.

A (long) while back, for a year as a job requirement I had to participate in a University of Michigan project management program. My employer is based in Pgh but has a presence in Detroit among the automakers so had many employees there and had this arrangement with Michigan Ross. I could do some of it remote but on alternating weeks I was present in person. It was actually a couple courses that was part of their bigger graduate school of business curriculum, though not the full program. So I did not get an “MBA” from Michigan, but did get a PMP certificate (that I have collecting dust on my office wall.)

Point of all that context is that in having done this, I have significant more legitimacy to root for Michigan (or make claims to have gone there) than my “PSU” acquaintances do to justify their PSU allegiance… but it would never occur to me in a thousand years to do so…and in fact I still root for Ohio State when they play (as I was an OSU fan when I was a young kid).

Regarding the NBC games, I don't know if it was written into the contract or not, but I know there was at least an informal agreement that they would try to feature as many different B10 teams as possible.

$350 million for a game they wouldn't even show on the B10 Network? NBC needs to ask for a refund.

$350 million for a game they wouldn't even show on the B10 Network? NBC needs to ask for a refund.

For 13 weeks. So $29.6 million per game. They will get better games but never the best ones. Syracuse @ Purdue the next week is almost as bad.

For Week 4, PSU/Iowa is going to CBS. These are NBC's choices. There arent any good ones

Rutgers @ Michigan
Maryland @ Michigan State
Wisconsin @ Purdue
Minnesota @ Northwestern

For 13 weeks. So $29.6 million per game. They will get better games but never the best ones. Syracuse @ Purdue the next week is almost as bad.

For Week 4, PSU/Iowa is going to CBS. These are NBC's choices. There arent any good ones

Rutgers @ Michigan
Maryland @ Michigan State
Wisconsin @ Purdue
Minnesota @ Northwestern
I'm just amazed they paid so much for such poor quality games and punting in the head-to-head matchups against the other networks.

These games are upgrades for NBC compared to the Notre Dame home games against the iikes of Wyoming, Ball St, Western Michigan, and Nevada that they have been broadcasting

PSU vs Delaware has been announced as on Peacock only. So for NBC it isn’t only about the ratings if the game. They are prob factoring in streaming costs as well. With 4-5 per month fee they can get their investment back

PSU vs Delaware has been announced as on Peacock only. So for NBC it isn’t only about the ratings if the game. They are prob factoring in streaming costs as well. With 4-5 per month fee they can get their investment back

Yea, I didn't realize 7-8 games are Peacock only. That may be where the money is as it would essentially be pay-per-view. Their Saturday primetime slate is going to suck balls and if anyone knows sucking balls, its the Big Ten

Consider that the week of SU-PU being shown on NBC, they are putting Washington @ MSU on Peacock only. That’s an interesting business decision.

Consider that the week of SU-PU being shown on NBC, they are putting Washington @ MSU on Peacock only. That’s an interesting business decision.

Ok. So it appears NBC's play is to boost Peacock subscriptions. Lose money on the primetime game but make money through "pay per view." Maybe that'll work as I'm not as familiar with the PPV model.

Ok. So it appears NBC's play is to boost Peacock subscriptions. Lose money on the primetime game but make money through "pay per view." Maybe that'll work as I'm not as familiar with the PPV model.
It’s not pay per view, you can’t just buy access to one game, they want to boost their subscriber numbers since it’s no longer free if you have Comcast cable.

Also, Peacock has deals for their ad level tier all the time, a year for $19.99, which is a decent price for what they offer.

Reactions: pittdan77
It’s not pay per view, you can’t just buy access to one game, they want to boost their subscriber numbers since it’s no longer free if you have Comcast cable.

Also, Peacock has deals for their ad level tier all the time, a year for $19.99, which is a decent price for what they offer.
Does Peacock offer anything good? My elderly parents keep telling me about these great shows and how I need to subscribe but if I get stuck watching TV with them, they all seem kind of campy. Production value is pretty bad on some of them, too.

The best PSU team in 20 years does it make it great. I am not buying 50 points.
WVU is never a pushover. They also know how their entire state follows their games rapturously and old timers in the state still would see PSU as a secondary rival to them. They’ll bring it in the game. Will it be enough against a program with so much money and willingness to use it? A big difference between programs like WVU and Pitt Vs a PSU and their ilk is the quality ratings of the players across the roster.

Each of us (WVU and Pitt) will have a fair number of pretty good players and even one or two studs. But a PSU will have salaried players from top to bottom of the entire chart. Not just the obvious, starting QB, TB, WR, LB etc, but all of them. That tends to make the unseen difference: each OL, both starter and backup, each DL, each TE, each special teams guy, all of these were highly sought (and paid heartily ) to attend PSU, whereas a WVU or Pitt might have paid for some players, but simply doesn’t have that up and down the roster; our Gibrone Factor will be much higher than PSU’s. So our teams are at a disadvantage there on every single play against a team like PSU. 11 vs 11, there are just many potential vulnerabilities at any given spot. Just one hole in the dike can unleash a flood.

PSU also outspends far more for coaches than both of our programs, likely ten times if not more. Not just for the HC, but for every position coach, every assistant, every uncounted “advisor”, each get paid much much much more than each of our equivalents. Money doesn’t totally assure quality but… it mostly does. At least when playing an opponent of our tier or lower. We can all attest that Duz is a good guy, we have some good to great assistants like Partridge, and given what we spend on players, it overachieves. But by definition our staff ain’t known for its superiority over our opponents. Same for WVU.

Officiating also plays a part. As anyone not blind or retarded knows, refs have largely gotten much worse in general, but especially in college sports, as their integrity has fallen through the sewer. Depending on the conference that provides the refs in this game, there will be degrees of bias. If B12 refs, one might expect it would help WVU. But even within conference officiating, there are differences in allegiance. In the B12, WVU is still a mongrel in a faraway conference to which it has no real belonging. B12 officials likely regularly screw WVU vs “authentic” B12 teams in games within their conference. (This is similar to how ACC refs typically rape Pitt in the rear when playing southern teams in “our” conference). That’s difficult for a typical stone-headed ref to just automatically reverse for a OOC game. Plus, in general, top 10 programs are given gift calls as well because networks want the big programs to be dominant (for ratings). So, expect officiating to go against WVU. Mysterious holding calls and dubious PI (or lack thereof) at critical times. Etc etc.

What can sway things from the inevitable? As often the case, QB play. I know nothing about the QBs of either team, and don’t care to. But if WVU can get a superlative effort from their QB while the PSU QB is merely decent or worse (which often seems the case with them), it can make the difference. I’m gonna guess that won’t happen though.

So something like a 31-21 PSU win is likely.

I'll be rooting for WVU. Can't believe I just said that but it helps Pitt and their strength of schedule and would hurt the little 10

Does Peacock offer anything good? My elderly parents keep telling me about these great shows and how I need to subscribe but if I get stuck watching TV with them, they all seem kind of campy. Production value is pretty bad on some of them, too.
Of their original shows Poker Face was really good, Killing It with Craig Robinson from The Office and Girls5Eva were also good, they also have decent library of movies both new and old.

Its pay per view for Big Ten fans. They will buy the game, get the rest of the month "free" and then cancel.

It offers a ton of old NBC programs if you want to watch re runs.

If you like professional wrestling it has all the old WWF/WCW TV shows and PPVS on there.

Other than that... it's a substandard streaming service.

It offers a ton of old NBC programs if you want to watch re runs.

If you like professional wrestling it has all the old WWF/WCW TV shows and PPVS on there.

Other than that... it's a substandard streaming service.

It’s also a difficult app to navigate.

The WWE Network was way better.

Was thinking about getting it too, but even with the deal I cant find a reason to get it.
I liked watching Below Deck but now sick of it.
I think most get it for Yellowstone.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT