ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of chatter FSU & CLEMSON to Big 12

I really don't care anymore. But this stupid romance of being in an academic conference is absolutely childish.

Its not JUST that. The B12 combines poor academics with very mid football programs that are in terrible locations. It has EVERYTHING going against. If they were poor academically but great at football and in great media markets, then I'd be fine with it. But everything about the Big 12 sucks.

Its not JUST that. The B12 combines poor academics with very mid football programs that are in terrible locations. It has EVERYTHING going against. If they were poor academically but great at football and in great media markets, then I'd be fine with it. But everything about the Big 12 sucks.
Not everything. Wrestling's not bad. David Taylor now coach for Okie State.

No one cares about grad programs and research dollars on college football Saturdays. I never understood the fascination with athletic conferences and academics.

Lol it’s Swaim pushing this with his usual “insider info.” He just throws out every possible rumor he hears as fact, then when 5% come true he beats his chest.

It’s not JUST that. The B12 combines poor academics with very mid football programs that are in terrible locations. It has EVERYTHING going against. If they were poor academically but great at football and in great media markets, then I'd be fine with it. But everything about the Big 12 sucks.
Their problem isn’t that they don’t have good football programs; they don’t have anymore “brand” programs. Not counting Oklahoma and Texas, they had five programs finish in the Top 10 six times over the past five years, along with Cincinnati and Utah finishing in the Top 10 three times (in the AAC, Pac-12). For context, the ACC only had two teams finish in the Top 10 four times during that timespan.

Obviously Florida State (and Clemson) want to be in the Big Ten or SEC, but the Big 12 arraignment would solve problems for both sides. The Big 12 needs credibility and more games in the eastern time zone; FSU wants more money in the immediate future, which could be solved through private equity or FOX paying their way in the same way they did for Oregon and Washington last year. On paper, it at least makes some sense.

Reactions: Houclone4
I get a big kick out of the "Academics" argument. There is not ONE network worried about a schools Endowment or Academic ranking. If they did there would be a Primetime slot for the "Mock trial" competition or "Debate Club" doubleheader on ABC. No one give a crap about grades or academics. This is about dollars and cents and not some Nerd Bowl or hometown IQ.

Don’t shoot the messenger: I have a buddy who told me that Brett Yormark met directly with Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, and NC State at the Stonewall Resort in WVa today. He has been accurate on these types of things in the past. Nothing is happening right now, but there was a meeting.
And today, he's meeting with UNC and UVA with Bob Nutting at Oglebay down in the Wheeling.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
And today, he's meeting with UNC and UVA with Bob Nutting at Oglebay down in the Wheeling.
In all seriousness, I specifically asked about those two since they’ve been linked to the B1G and SEC. Essentially, they have no interest in entertaining the Big 12, regardless of the potential increase in revenue.

For transparency sake, their connections are with the OU and Oklahoma State athletic departments. I try not to throw my “sources” around since I’m just a nobody, but I only share what I think the board will find useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwh05
I get a big kick out of the "Academics" argument. There is not ONE network worried about a schools Endowment or Academic ranking. If they did there would be a Primetime slot for the "Mock trial" competition or "Debate Club" doubleheader on ABC. No one give a crap about grades or academics. This is about dollars and cents and not some Nerd Bowl or hometown IQ.
But university leadership are the decision makers and they absolutely do care about academics and aligning with other quality schools.

Don’t shoot the messenger: I have a buddy who told me that Brett Yormark met directly with Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, and NC State at the Stonewall Resort in WVa today. He has been accurate on these types of things in the past. Nothing is happening right now, but there was a meeting.
You have such wet dreams about good programs coming out to the dust bowl so they can be nearby, don't you? Just move someplace with a pulse already and you won't have to keep constantly stoking the bs fires on this board.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
But university leadership are the decision makers and they absolutely do care about academics and aligning with other quality schools.
You will see a dramatic change in that philosophy when schools have to start paying out 20mm. It will be about money. Stop being like the Pedo's and " Our school is better than your school" This is about athletics period

You will see a dramatic change in that philosophy when schools have to start paying out 20mm. It will be about money. Stop being like the Pedo's and " Our school is better than your school" This is about athletics period
Pitt makes like 25 times more per year from R&D than from athletics.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
You have such wet dreams about good programs coming out to the dust bowl so they can be nearby, don't you? Just move someplace with a pulse already and you won't have to keep constantly stoking the bs fires on this board.
Odd (albeit unsurprising) comment aside, I don’t really have a preference as to what happens with the Big 12. I’d love for the ACC to remain intact because it’s the best fit for Pitt. We’ll see what happens.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
That's great it does nothing to guarantee you a seat at the table. As I said quite being like the Pedo's. Our school is no better than any other school. It's what you make of your degree.

That's great it does nothing to guarantee you a seat at the table. As I said quite being like the Pedo's. Our school is no better than any other school. It's what you make of your degree.
Exactly. There is not a better, more endowed, connected, rich alum school in all of the former P5 and they got "relegated". In this world, the Alabama's and Arkansas's outweigh the Stanford's and Cal's.

I don't understand how this is an argument for this topic, You think those R&D contracts are dependent on conference affiliation? Does Pitt lose those contracts and grants if they join a the SEC, B1G, or B12? You think Pitt would turn down an SEC invite for academic and research reasons? Pitt's 3 highest paid employees are in Athletics, 5 of the top 10, and probably 9 of the top 30.
Also, it's probably closer to 7x the revenue from Sports, if you leave out all of the indirect revenue that premiere athletic programs (P5) generate for their university. Which only people that aren't setting the budget for these schools would fail to consider.

And Pitt leadership would throw all that away in a millisecond if they got an invite to the SEC.

FSU fans are some of the lowest forms of human life. I haven't seen their reaction to this but I would imagine they would be ecstatic to join the Big 12. These are extremely stupid people.

Its not that I dont think FSU would want to join the B12, they probably would. Its that they if they get out of the GOR, they have a guaranteed bid in the B10. 100% guaranteed. They added friggin Rutgers. Of course they are taking FSU. The SEC doesnt want FSU but may take them just to keep the B10 out of Florida
Ah, now we get it. You are the Number one FSU FAN!!!

Reactions: saltydog8159

What table? I'd much rather have a school that has great academics and R&D and superior graduate schools and mediocre sports than one that has crap for academics but wins a few championships that mean nothing. The current landscape of college sports is why I don't give a rat's ass about it any more. I watch it to pass the time, even Pitt sports. I rarely get on here because it's all hand wringing and hot air.

Great, we get some kids who can catch and run with a ball or put one in a hoop. That's what they're being paid to do. And I don't watch paid college sports.

What table? I'd much rather have a school that has great academics and R&D and superior graduate schools and mediocre sports than one that has crap for academics but wins a few championships that mean nothing. The current landscape of college sports is why I don't give a rat's ass about it any more. I watch it to pass the time, even Pitt sports. I rarely get on here because it's all hand wringing and hot air.

Great, we get some kids who can catch and run with a ball or put one in a hoop. That's what they're being paid to do. And I don't watch paid college sports.
so you dont watch college sports but you post on a college sports message forum??

listen, you are entitled to your opinion but you are in the minority of wanting pitt grad school programs to achieve while football and hoops is mediocre. truthfully, that doesnt even make sense to me, like who would even care about that unless you or your kid is in one of those programs and it helps him/her get a better job after they graduate?

R/D at pitt? how could that even possibly interest you for one second?

Reactions: Mikefln
Isn't that place closed right now? Road closures??

Have we met? Talked all things Pitt?

Re-read my OP.

What tells you im not a Pitt fan?

Ill wait.......
Pay no attention to that poster; for whatever reason, he’s a cynic who has a bone to pick with half of this site. Sad.

There’s nothing to suggest you aren’t a Pitt fan because you are a Pitt fan. As a board, we should be less hostile towards one another since we’re all on the same side. H2P.

i was at stonewall a few years back, labor day weekend. the year we opened up and lost to UVA. i really liked it. didnt bring my freakin clubs which i was pissed about but a really nice little lake resort..

i highly recommend it for a weekend getaway, unless you are a Big 12 commish or an AD in the ACC who's primary goal is to dismantle ACC football.

i was at stonewall a few years back, labor day weekend. the year we opened up and lost to UVA. i really liked it. didnt bring my freakin clubs which i was pissed about but a really nice little lake resort..

i highly recommend it for a weekend getaway, unless you are a Big 12 commish or an AD in the ACC who's primary goal is to dismantle ACC football.
Average food (not much better in WV) Good atmosphere. Lots of reunion groups.

Pay no attention to that poster; for whatever reason, he’s a cynic who has a bone to pick with half of this site. Sad.

There’s nothing to suggest you aren’t a Pitt fan because you are a Pitt fan. As a board, we should be less hostile towards one another since we’re all on the same side. H2P.
Well said.

Lets face it. The football program and athletic dept we are fans of have given us way too much heartburn over the years. The current conference realities make it even tougher to stomach.

Doesnt mean I am not a Pitt guy, although some thin skinned dunces may think so.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
so you dont watch college sports but you post on a college sports message forum??

listen, you are entitled to your opinion but you are in the minority of wanting pitt grad school programs to achieve while football and hoops is mediocre. truthfully, that doesnt even make sense to me, like who would even care about that unless you or your kid is in one of those programs and it helps him/her get a better job after they graduate?

R/D at pitt? how could that even possibly interest you for one second?

Read what I wrote. I rarely get on here any more because I have lost interest in college sports in the current landscape. I've been a Pitt fan for longer than you've probably been alive. But now, that interest has waned just because of the professional aspects of the players and the conference realignments. Don't shoot me because college sports isn't college sports any longer.

I'm a double alumnus of Pitt, one graduate degree. My sons all went to Pitt with numerous degrees. I want my school's academics to excel because of reputation and how that can help and has helped me and my sons. That's it. I guarantee that Pitt's football or basketball teams didn't help me one bit to get jobs or excel in business.

Pitt sports is fine and is a good distraction in these times. But college sports in general isn't what it's made out to be.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Some great pictures of some of the Big 12 campuses.
110519-TCA-Q3-Earnings-1.jpg

im-555522

images

I know many here want to stay in the ACC.

Not me. If FSU and Clemson go I want to go with them. Said it before.....we have joined two basketball first leagues over the last several decades abd our football program has treaded water. I believe Pitt is a football school first, and joining the Big 12 fits a football school.

I also think we could do rather well in that league.

Certainly, others will disagree with valid viewpoints. And the Pitt brass probably wants to remain in the ACC

But i was at Pitt during the High Green days. Football has always been first.

Latest rumor is that the Big12 is going to use the private equity money to give to Clemson and FSU. That would be spectacular.
Yeah, doesn't sound too great. However, heard a rumor Fox will bump up the payout to each school for $15 million per year. $15 million x 6 years x 16 teams = $1.44 billion. Thus, if all this money is used to pay the PE, then the Big 12 stays the same payout but gets FSU and Clemson for 6 years until the next contract in 2031. That gives FSU and Clemson 6 years to figure it out for the Big 10 and SEC. No loss for the Big 12. Plus, the Big 12 might be able to poach others if the Fox payout includes others.

Just all speculation on my part on all the above.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT