ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of chatter FSU & CLEMSON to Big 12

I know many here want to stay in the ACC.

Not me. If FSU and Clemson go I want to go with them. Said it before.....we have joined two basketball first leagues over the last several decades abd our football program has treaded water. I believe Pitt is a football school first, and joining the Big 12 fits a football school.

I also think we could do rather well in that league.

Certainly, others will disagree with valid viewpoints. And the Pitt brass probably wants to remain in the ACC

But i was at Pitt during the High Green days. Football has always been first.
Pitt did plenty with FB. Scrapped the obsolete Stadium, joined the Big East and moved to the ACC. Not exactly treading water.

Latest rumor is that the Big12 is going to use the private equity money to give to Clemson and FSU. That would be spectacular.

Like I said, they'd give FSU anything they want. Not so sure about Clemson. But all that does is give FSU leverage because then IF they get out of the GOR, they can take that offer to the B10 and SEC. The B10 will take them. 1 million percent. FSU is playing the B12 and is actually being pretty smart about this. Wished the ACC would just offer them a very unequal amount in exchange for them dropping their suit.

Yeah, doesn't sound too great. However, heard a rumor Fox will bump up the payout to each school for $15 million per year. $15 million x 6 years x 16 teams = $1.44 billion. Thus, if all this money is used to pay the PE, then the Big 12 stays the same payout but gets FSU and Clemson for 6 years until the next contract in 2031. That gives FSU and Clemson 6 years to figure it out for the Big 10 and SEC. No loss for the Big 12. Plus, the Big 12 might be able to poach others if the Fox payout includes others.

Just all speculation on my part on all the above.

And then the other 16 B12 schools get like a 20% reduced share forever because they sold 20% or whatever it is to the United Arab Emirates to get FSU and Clemson for 6 years. Lets be realistic. This is all just FSU gaining leverage

Yeah, doesn't sound too great. However, heard a rumor Fox will bump up the payout to each school for $15 million per year. $15 million x 6 years x 16 teams = $1.44 billion. Thus, if all this money is used to pay the PE, then the Big 12 stays the same payout but gets FSU and Clemson for 6 years until the next contract in 2031. That gives FSU and Clemson 6 years to figure it out for the Big 10 and SEC. No loss for the Big 12. Plus, the Big 12 might be able to poach others if the Fox payout includes others.

Just all speculation on my part on all the above.
I think the assumption that Fox will just dump $1.44 billion and that offsets the PE is nothing more than wishful thinking. Besides, if FSU and Clemson are worth that much, they won't want to share that money.

Heard KBL is coming back strong. Gonna offer $2B to Conference USA if Pitt and Fresno State join. Source was driving through a tunnel at the time, so more details to follow.

• Haha
Reactions: jayhawks65
And then the other 16 B12 schools get like a 20% reduced share forever because they sold 20% or whatever it is to the United Arab Emirates to get FSU and Clemson for 6 years. Lets be realistic. This is all just FSU gaining leverage
PE firm Big 12 talking to is CVC Capital, based in Luxembourg. Agree is it just FSU leverage.

I think the assumption that Fox will just dump $1.44 billion and that offsets the PE is nothing more than wishful thinking. Besides, if FSU and Clemson are worth that much, they won't want to share that money.
Not all the PE money will be used for FSU and Clemson. The Big 12 will be using it for their own stuff too. I have no idea on the breakdown.

The hilarious thing is that if FSU and Clemson have a higher valuation than Real Madrid and the Yankees as the B12 propagandists would have you believe then why the EFF wouldn't the B10 or SEC come in and grab them? Or ESPN step in and tell the ACC, "hey guys, FSU is worth more than the Yankees, please give them an unequal amount so we dont lose them to Fox. We dont want to compete with 100 million viewers tuning in for the FSU/Houston lidlifter.

Lets be realistic.
Realistic would be calling these fake news stories lunacy, rather than these internet rags running with them like they're scoop.

This we agree on SMF. There is absolutely zero chance FSU and Clemson leave for the B12. Absolutely none. You'd have to be the dumbest person on the planet to believe otherwise. Who is paying this Greg Swaim guy to make up fake news? And how on earth does he get anyone to believe him?

The funny thing is that the ACC contract IS undervalued, and yet it's still worth more than that Big 12 contract that just got signed.
As it should - until brands start leaving. The ACC is the Last of the Mohicans with their brands not in the P2. The 20 year GOR is the reason. The Pac and Big 12 either didn't have a GOR or wasn't long enough for their brands to stay. Eventually, SMU, Cal, and Stanford are going to get full share too.

Last edited:
How bout this idea for FSU? It sounds nutty but is it nuttier than playing mid-majors in the B12?

The Pac 12:

1. Tell Oregon State and Washington State you are coming and demand a very unequal amount of revenue and will have ALL the say on who gets added:

2. Add Stan, Cal, Utah, Col, Az, ASU, SDSU, SMU in a Western Division

3. FSU, Clem, UNC, UVa, Miami, Lou, GT, VT, NC St, Pitt in an eastern division

You basically get the ACC on the terms you want. Why do I have to be in charge of everything?

How bout this idea for FSU? It sounds nutty but is it nuttier than playing mid-majors in the B12?

The Pac 12:

1. Tell Oregon State and Washington State you are coming and demand a very unequal amount of revenue and will have ALL the say on who gets added:

You basically get the ACC on the terms you want. Why do I have to be in charge of everything?
looney-mrem.gif

• Haha
Reactions: pittdan77

The Pac 12:

Would have been better if you proposed this before Oregon and Washington left. PAC and ACC had a whole year to make it work - and didn't. Why would it work now? I suspect due to the travel costs and large time zone differences, it would limit western vs eastern matchups. So basically, you have 2 separate conferences under one conference name - not really gaining anything.

With this plan, some of the fat has been removed. But some fat has been added (SDSU).

Would have been better if you proposed this before Oregon and Washington left. PAC and ACC had a whole year to make it work - and didn't. Why would it work now? I suspect due to the travel costs and large time zone differences, it would limit western vs eastern matchups. So basically, you have 2 separate conferences under one conference name - not really gaining anything.

With this plan, some of the fat has been removed. But some fat has been added (SDSU).
They didn’t make it work- because the b10 was already offering .

Reactions: HOF Coach

Yea but this plan accomplishes a few things for FSU

- unequal revenue which it seems like current B12 members have no issue with

- regional rivals to come with FSU

- trims a ton of fat out (Iowa St, Kansas's, UCF, Cincy, Houston, BYU's weird schedulings, etc)

Most of you do not negotiate for a living and probably pay sticker price. FSU may end up leaving but Clemson is going nowhere. Even FSU knows that the ACC will negotiate far better terms then the BIG 12 and may receive a payout in the "ballpark" of the Big 10/SEC if they stay with the ACC to the next TV negotiations BUT they see an opportunity to get a better payout now and in the future. I don't fault them...it's not like the ACC is going to throw them out because of it. The streaming wars are dying for sports content. Give it time.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Most of you do not negotiate for a living and probably pay sticker price. FSU may end up leaving but Clemson is going nowhere. Even FSU knows that the ACC will negotiate far better terms then the BIG 12 and may receive a payout in the "ballpark" of the Big 10/SEC if they stay with the ACC to the next TV negotiations BUT they see an opportunity to get a better payout now and in the future. I don't fault them...it's not like the ACC is going to throw them out because of it. The streaming wars are dying for sports content. Give it time.
You’re giving them too much credit
It’s literally a clown college with an idiotic fanbase

Why would they get a payout in that ballpark with the next ACC deal? Unequal revenue sharing?

I'm hearing that Scarlett Johansson is a lock but she is insisting you take Kathy Bates but that's only if SMF isn't interested.
sad to say, but im still probably doing it.

if kathy brings a sledge hammer and a piece of wood, im changing my mind..

if Scarlett brings a sledge hammer and piece of wood, im strangely even more aroused.

Why would they get a payout in that ballpark with the next ACC deal? Unequal revenue sharing?
I don't think you understand the demand for sports content. WWE has multi billion dollar deal with Netflix. Imagine access to all ACC sports content for the entire year.

if Scarlett brings a sledge hammer and piece of wood, im strangely even more aroused.
You have to do the deal when Kathy walks in with the hammer. None of us understand how anyone would even think of doing that deal but you're out there playing chess and we're all just playing checkers.

You have to do the deal when Kathy walks in with the hammer. None of us understand how anyone would even think of doing that deal but you're out there playing chess and we're all just playing checkers.
In the book she chops off his feet and then blow torches them to stop the bleeding

• Wow
Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
No one cares about grad programs and research dollars on college football Saturdays. I never understood the fascination with athletic conferences and academics.
No wonder you don't know the difference if you don't have the academics.

Since I had a couple ankle surgeries recently - that’s not for me .
But, her dogs from the office can watch .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT