ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Harrison NIL deal with tosu..

Zeldas Open Roof

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2018
lol, fantastic. what kind of sucks is he's rich from his dad already, but hey, he earned it..

There's no way that can be true. If it is, it's one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard. You could give that money to people who don't have clean water/food/medicine, but instead you'd rather watch a future millionaire play 12 more games for your school?
not true? I saw it on social media. it has to be true..

honestly, no clue. buddy just texted it to me so i thought id share..

just a tweet i saw, i do not stand behind this so if it's not true, dont call me out.

i say enough non-sensical stuff on here for you guys to debate, no need to put this on me either..

Reactions: pittmeister
Me thinks whomever is behind NFL Rookie Watch needs to think this through. Jordan Addison’s entire 4 year rookie contract is worth just under $14M.

There are crazy things in this world, but CFB has jumped the shark if this is real.

H2P

I hope it is true

The worst thing that can happen is this NIL business drags on in its current state.

A deal like this.....and all the fatcats across the country that donate big to both NIL AND political PACS.....will raise some hell and the pols that thirst for their $$$ will get involved to solve this mess.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Either way, he's going to get a deal worth millions. This is a huge problem because it's just an arms race. Why doesn't this happen in the NFL? Someone Dallas billionaire wants the best players, why can't they make a "deal" and not have it count against the team's cap?

Reactions: Farnox
Either way, he's going to get a deal worth millions. This is a huge problem because it's just an arms race. Why doesn't this happen in the NFL? Someone Dallas billionaire wants the best players, why can't they make a "deal" and not have it count against the team's cap?
what's funny is the ncaa sold this as an amateur athlete getting compensated for his likeness and not pay for play lol.

i mean, they honestly told us this.

and the even funnier part is, most college athletes are prohibited from selling their jerseys wiht names and numbers or "school gear" with their likeness. That's pretty much what i thought this would be. a Zion Williamson type recruit/player getting a duke hoops jersey or tee shirt on the nike outlet racks with his name, and him taking a cut..

I mean, that would at least be honest. yeah, gives the dukes, uncs of the world a huge recruiting advantage but they already have that.. This getting millions to do nothing is just dumb. i think Kenny got a free truck at pitt but didnt he at least have to do a commercial?

Maybe the Steelers should try this. Pro fans don't have the same love for a team like college fans. Pitt would raise more money for an NIL collective than Steelers fans.

what's funny is the ncaa sold this as an amateur athlete getting compensated for his likeness and not pay for play lol.

and the even funnier part is, most college athletes are prohibited from selling their jerseys wiht names and numbers or "school gear" with their likeness. That's pretty much what i thought this would be. a Zion Williamson type recruit/player getting a duke hoops jersey or tee shirt on the nike outlet racks with his name, and him taking a cut..

I mean, that would at least be honest. yeah, gives the dukes, uncs of the world a huge recruiting advantage but they already have that.. This getting millions to do nothing is just dumb. i think Kenny got a free truck at pitt but didnt he at least have to do a commercial?
The only way this works long term is if there is some sort of oversight that determines if the deal is a legitimate NIL deal paying a realistic amount or not. In this case, what is he being paid $25 million to do and is that the going rate for whatever that thing is.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

Yea, I thought this was going to be game jerseys with their names on it (not happening), the NCAA video game (happening), and specialty t-shirts (not really happening). I also thought that some OSU booster would pay a guy $100K to show up at his car dealership. That isnt even happening. They arent even making the kids work for this money. Its straight pay for play.

The only way this works long term is if there is some sort of oversight that determines if the deal is a legitimate NIL deal paying a realistic amount or not. In this case, what is he being paid $25 million to do and is that the going rate for whatever that thing is.
yeah, this is crazy. but how do you enforce this? If im a rich pitt fan (sadly im not) and i want to give the Diaz twins 25 million dollars to re-tweet my social media ads for my spanish restaurant (Oh and btw, stay at pitt and dont transfer out) then how does the ncaa enforce this?

If it's paid out by the university then sure, they can get involved but this NIL crap is all booster driven (technically speaking of course)..

That's what I said. And people say who would be able to do that. And I say sports marketing agencies. Marvin Harrison's NIL is probably worth $100K-$250K while in college. College athletes just arent marketable and no one knows who he is outside of Columbus.

yeah, this is crazy. but how do you enforce this? If im a rich pitt fan (sadly im not) and i want to give the Diaz twins 25 million dollars to re-tweet my social media ads for my spanish restaurant (Oh and btw, stay at pitt and dont transfer out) then how does the ncaa enforce this?

You report the NIL deal to a committee and they decide what the true value is of the twins re-tweeting Mallorca II. They would decide its maybe $1000. So the extra $24,999,000 they got would be pay for play

I really started to turn to players getting paid years ago when Jalen Rose said that during the Fab 5 years, he’d go to the mall with his food stipend to eat at the food court and see kids wearing his Michigan jersey. Then he’d walk by the sporting goods store and see his jersey hanging on the rack and he couldn’t afford to buy it.

So I get that players should get a cut of, well, their Name, Image, and Likeness. But the pure pay for play, especially in concert with the simple transfer rules won’t work long term unless the NCAA only cares about the top 10% of teams. Maybe they do.

I’d like to see SOME type of oversight with respect to tampering, I’d like to see some type of salary cap (if the pay per play continues), and I’d like to see the transfer rule move to sitting out 1 year UNLESS, the head coach leaves or gets fired; not the coordinators or position coaches.

I would also like to see the LOI have some type of length to it, like you can’t transfer in your first two seasons (like a 2 year contract). If you tighten up the transfer rules, that may not be necessary. But the portal is out of control, as it used to be players who didn’t get playing time moving on. Now you have starters jumping in for the sole purpose of seeing if they can get paid more money. It’s not like the NFL, as the pro players can’t leave any season they want.

They don’t care where they go as long as they make more money. There are players leaning during the year, or before Bowl games. It’s terrible.

There's no way that can be true. If it is, it's one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard. You could give that money to people who don't have clean water/food/medicine, but instead you'd rather watch a future millionaire play 12 more games for your school?
I was more offended by Jurkovic getting $200k :)

$0. He isn't eligible as a foreign-born player. At least that is my understanding.
we need to put an end to this myth about foreign players being ineligible for nil compensation.

Someone told me last week Federicko was offered 130,000 by Florida in the offseason and we matched. Is that true?
I'll just say that he is making a very good amount of money. Pitt is not getting anywhere near the value at this point.

Matt Steinbrink
Basketball Analyst, Panther-Lair.com
matt.steinbrink@hotmail.com
Twitter: @MattSteinbrink

Not everybody bought what the NCAA was selling.

$0. He isn't eligible as a foreign-born player. At least that is my understanding.

The workaround is extremely easy. He was back home in Finland this summer. Alliance 412 could have paid him $200K (no idea if that's the figure) to show up at some youth basketball practice and talk to the kids for 10 minutes.

This is all the more reason to quit watching this garbage. Quit calling them student-athletes already! They aren't! They're professional football players and basketball players. It's a dirty, rotten, slime infested business. The only ones who can stop it are the fans and big donor alumni, and they're not going to do that.

Harrison should leave. I feel there's more endorsement money for him to make in the NFL, especially since he already has a known name as a Jr and his dad was an All-Pro.

we need to put an end to this myth about foreign players being ineligible for nil compensation.

I'll just say that he is making a very good amount of money. Pitt is not getting anywhere near the value at this point.

Matt Steinbrink
Basketball Analyst, Panther-Lair.com
matt.steinbrink@hotmail.com
Twitter: @MattSteinbrink
It's not a myth. Its the law - not an NCAA rule but immigration law.

There are apparently some complicated workarounds being used, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT